The final remaining MP3 patents are about to expire

>the final remaining MP3 patents are about to expire
>MP3 is finally about to become a free format for everyone

Other urls found in this thread:

cnx-software.com/2017/02/10/dolby-digital-ac3-us-patent-has-expired-on-february-1-2017/
aomedia.org/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alliance_for_Open_Media
google.com/patents?vid=USPAT5703999&id=uQApAAAAEBAJ&dq=5,703,999
youtube.com/watch?v=UrfX-g8auc8
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Funny how the patents expire shortly after it's become obsolete...

That's not funny. That's how patents ideally should work.

Most digital music is still distributed online using MP3, the main exceptions being iTunes (AAC) and Spotify (Ogg Vorbis).

>Spotify
>Ogg Vorbis

Based spotify. A better choice would have been opus, though.

What does that mean?

If spotify moves to Flac for the same price as their premium service, I will cancel my Apple Music subscription and move back to Spotify.

>ywn cum in her nostrils
why live?

They're testing a FLAC tier for an additional $5/mo.

niiice didnt even know about ths

you need to be invited to test it.

>they're testing a flac tier

Why? It would make no difference in quality. Unless they want people to download it for later lossy encodings

it's just to go against tidal, and to milk more money out of people for snake oil.

that said all the music on my phone is FLAC and i listen with bluetooth IEMs

MP3 is bloated legacy shit.

Isn't MP3 V0 pretty transparent though?

Lol itll be funny if they just take the lossy music they have been using and reencode it into flac. Sure someone who is serious about music will analysis it and find out. But most will be paying out the ass for nothing

Yes but Opus achieves the same transparency at 128kbps vbr for half the file size.

It matters on mobile devices if you have let's say 500 mp3 songs you could have 1000 using the same amount of storage.

Opus has an adoption issue. It's hard to find many players that support Opus and hard to find places that legally distribute Opus music. Not even Bandcamp sells Opus tracks.

AC3's patents expired a few weeks ago.
Golden Age of Audio.

This. Very much this.

also pic related for everyday use.

>AC3's patents expired a few weeks ago.
I wonder if the MX Player for Android will add it back in.

>retards who think copying music between computers degrades the quality
????

cnx-software.com/2017/02/10/dolby-digital-ac3-us-patent-has-expired-on-february-1-2017/

tybg

Bump this.

Any rockboxable PMP does, plenty of phone apps also can play opus and you can use your phone to stream to BT devices that can't play opus like a car radio.

Every place that sells FLACs (or cds transcoded to flacs) can be transcoded to Opus.

>Any rockboxable PMP does, plenty of phone apps also can play opus and you can use your phone to stream to BT devices that can't play opus like a car radio.

Yes, but with all due respect, these are all aftermarket solutions.

>That's how patents ideally should work
No, patents should provide a short amount of time in which the creator of said technology/invention can make a return on their work, before the work then goes on to benefit everyone. This was the original purpose of patents and copyrights

True that but still, if you have plenty of music on a small storage device it's better than having mp3.

None of these are indicative of primary market adoption. The first solution involves hacking your player, which most people are not going go through because of the relative complexity; the second one is the most realistic, but few player apps support it and many of the player apps that do support it are not considered to be user-friendly, especially VLC, the third one is just a mess and no one wants to wade through workarounds to get an Opus file playing through the car stereo when they could just go with MP3 and have it instantly supported with no headache.

The fourth one requires the user to be knowledgeable and savvy about formats, encoding, etc. It requires the knowledge of lossless and lossy formats, finding the best transcoder, learn the most efficient encoding method, amongst other things which the average consumer is just not going to go through.

There has to be places directly distributing Opus music, and devices directly supporting Opus audio.

I think perhaps the best chance of Opus getting widespread mainstream use is Spotify converting their catalogue to Opus; Spotify is already the single largest mainstream use for Vorbis music.

Nobody at the big industries would consider adopting or making open formats because they are not as lucrative as the closed ones.

Not true. The industry's biggest names (except Apple, who would have guessed) have already come together to develop AV1, a FOSS video codec which will be the successor to VP9. They have rejected the proprietary HEVC in favour of this because of royalties.

aomedia.org/

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alliance_for_Open_Media

ok, but will the BDA, and the broadcasting industry use it? and the most important thing, will(not would) the semiconductor industry bundle within the ICs the hardware required to decode it properly?
The companies behind AV1 will have a hard time lobbying the rest of the industry to make them use their new codec.

>Active patents only remain in the United States and will expire on 31 December 2017
Hmm, really makes you think

MP3 might be old, but it's still the most universally supported format.

Amazon and Google Play still sell their music using the MP3 format as well as stream it through their music subscription services. (Amazon distributes MP3 V0 VBR while Google Play distributes MP3 320.)

SoundCloud distributes their music as MP3 128kbps as well, even though at this bitrate they'd benefit greatly by switching to Opus.

heh.

>lossy compression
Triggered.

I'll never understand why people will pay so much for spotify monthly when you can buy a 64GB microSD card for £15 and then pay £2-£5 for CDs which each contain 10+ lossless songs that you can keep forever.

Before lame's another mp3 encoder, it was lame's not a mp3 encoder.
>it was an educational tool.

Because of the features, such as: Search, Suggestions, Centralization, simple user interface, Social aspects, all without needing the basic knowledge to use tools that provide these services better/for free.

Basically, normies don't know what last.fm and Discogs are.

>all without needing the basic knowledge
Found Hilary voter and Mac user.

AFAIK, streaming is money losing business, so you are asking for they to consume more data at a minimum expense?

yeah right

It's a lot better when you consider that the alternative for a lot of people is piracy, which is a 100% loss for the content creators.

Most of the fou ders are content distributors themselves. They might not be able to sway broadcast companies but at least AV1 might see considerably more usage in the internet. Also, AMD, Nvidia, Intel and ARM are all part of AOM. No need to worry about hardware support.

PAJEET

Id rather stick with AAC since its similar to opus and is as much supported as MP3

>piracy, which is a 100% loss for the content creators
it's not, illegal downloading is free promotion

cmon nigga, dont start this bullshit

toolame/twolame encoded sound into mp3 layer 2 format, which was not patent encumbered. The result was a format that will play on mp3 players, for a 5-10% penalty in file size.

Of course, no-one has ever heard of .mp2 files even though they work just fine.

>After all, we can't have people going around figuring out that they could do .mp2 files and not pay Fraunhofer-Gesellschaft a royalty fee for their format

Just another casualty of computer defacto standards wars throughout the decades...

If someone downloads it illegally, why would they even buy it if they already have it for free (illegally)?

The only reason I can remotely see it happening if they come to a sort of moral crossroads that causes them to feel guilty about the action they've taken.

I do exactly this to support the artist if i really like their content, download the album from a private tracker and then buy the CDs.

>but spotify
spotify has fucking nothing

media has no intrisic value since you can get it for free
you can see it as free promotion for merch and live shows

I thought they already expired or was it just for encoding only?

if not spotify, you can just listen to their stuff on bandcamp, youtube or soundcloud

you really have no excuse

This is apparently the big one everyone's waiting for. It will expire exactly at midnight on December 30, 2017.

google.com/patents?vid=USPAT5703999&id=uQApAAAAEBAJ&dq=5,703,999

Music has been around since forever, this kike control with patents and copyright is bullshit.

Live music has, yes. Recorded music has only been around for a century and a half, and digital music recordings less than that.

oh boy i sure want those 128kbps mp3

you dont need flac to decide you like it

youtube.com/watch?v=UrfX-g8auc8
plus youtube and other sites use aac, not even these young people with trained ears with high end equipment is a silent room have a easy time distinguishing between 128kbps aac and flac. And this is done with well mastered material

stay assblasted

>OH WHAT'S THIS?!?!
>There is a picture of mickey mouse in the original documentation for mp3...
>Disney will now sue for full rights

post yfw

Flac is pretty big, user.

Because you can INSTANTLY access any moderately popular song at any time. A library that large is not feasible to buy on CDs or store locally.

Also because I'm a pleb and I can't hear the difference between compressed and lossless audio tracks.

>£5 for 10 songs vs £14.99 for 30 million lossless songs + integrated music discovery + instant library syncing across all of your devices

Recorded media != Music
artists have always made more money performing and licensing their songs than they do selling recordings.

Music was still big business before recording was invented

4u

Not legally, and live shows are a useless promotion when you live in the middle of nowhere or a place like Nuuk, Greenland.

or when your favorite artist will never play live

Yeah, but you cannot taste the difference between cum and sugar frosting. GTFOH!

That's not an argument.

For you, it is not. It is a fact.

>One free vinyl (record)
i'll take an original copy of Exmilitary please.

>mp3 layer 2
mp3 is "mpeg layer 3"

I'll never understand why people will buy cds when you can buy perfectly good reel to reel music players and carry all your music around in a shipping container size suitcase.

reel to reel is still the best sound quality desu senpai

In what way is mp3s obsolete?

>I can't hear the difference between compressed and lossless audio tracks.
Because there isn't one.

>sign up for the £15/month family plan
>invite 5 friends/family members
>each person now has their individual premium account for £2.50 each per month

But storage is cheap so relatively to mp3 10years ago flac is not so big.

You can fit 5000 flacs on your phone microsd. Get a 2TB drive and it can probably fit everything you'd want. I avoided flacs until I realized my phone had 48GB of free storage.

>I illegally download all the albums of an artist
>I like said artist
>I pay hundreds of fucking dollars to see them perform live
If any industry actually benefits from piracy, it's the music industry.

good testing environment

And yet we already have opus

that's nice, but i use my storage for more than just music

Who cares? Nobody pays royalties to whoever owns said patent anyway

tidal, anyone?

no it isnt, its far better than vinyl, but still lacks compared to digital

But digital music is just "music but on a computer".