Should I upgrade my CPU to a 4790k from an i5 4460, or should I replace my motherboard and ram for a kaby lake cpu...

Should I upgrade my CPU to a 4790k from an i5 4460, or should I replace my motherboard and ram for a kaby lake cpu? Is it worth it? Working with a limited budget here.

That depends, can your motherboard overclock the 4790k? If not then no, it'll be a waste.

If you need m.2 then upgrade your mobo. If not just do the processor.

install ryzen

buy gentoo

Just a gaymur.

I'm thinking of just getting the 4790k

The 4790k won't be a great buy if you can't overclock it though.

Yes. It would be a great upgrade.

I have a cryorig H7 and a motherboard with a b85 chipset

only if your cpu is currently the bottle neck

Getting a 1070 soon and I don't know how well my 4460 can handle it.

DDR4 can have a pretty significant effect on performance, it's not worth it to upgrade from an i5 4460 to something else that still uses DDR3.

B85 can't overclock as far as I know. So you're shit out of luck. Get a 4790(non k)

b85 doesnt support overclocking
4790k would be a waste, 4790 wouldnt be that drastic of an improvement

even going up to say an i5 6600 would be fuck all in performance gains
your i5 is fine as is, save up money and get a proper upgrade, like going for a 7700k, ddr4 and a z270 mobo

That's the thing. I have 16 gigs of ddr3. I really don't want to have to buy 16gigs of ddr4, I don't have very much disposable income. Anyways ddr3 is plenty fast for what I do.

4790 wouldn't be that good of an improvement? it's .8ghz faster with hyperthreading. If he bought the 4790 and sold his i5 on ebay or something it would be a great improvement.

You'd be better off just waiting until 10nm comes to desktop CPUs. By then, DDR4 prices will hopefully have come down, motherboards will probably be better values, and there will be a significant enough performance increase to justify the upgrade. Going from an i5 to an i7 of the same generation just isn't a huge upgrade.

Hm, I understand. I'm also possibly contemplating ryzen. A 1700 with a nice board for overclocking.

>8GHz faster with hyperthreading
Get the fuck out

The 15 4460 is 3.2 ghz where the i7 is 4.0, and the i7 has hyperthreading. What's wrong with that?

I fucking typed 15 instead of i5 lol

I apologise, I didn't see the decimal before the 8. I'm a stupid phone poster

Lol it's fine. If I saw something saying that I'd call them out too.

OP here, just going to upgrade to the 4790. The fact that stock is alot faster than my current cpu and the fact that it has hyperthreading is really attractive to me, and since it's a non-k it's cheaper, too. By the time I sell my 4460 I'm sure it'll be worth the money. Does this sound logical to anyone else?

It's the only logical path you have if you don't want to upgrade you motherboard, RAM and CPU all at the same time.

Then that's what I'll do. Thanks Sup Forums!

Why the ever living fuck would you need anything better for fucking games of all things? You won't see jackshit of an improvement unless you're shooting for 120/144 fps gaming. At 60 fps the difference will be literally zero. Complete waste of money.

I'm looking on getting into streaming (embarrassing to say), you try streaming with a 3.2ghz quad core.

Litterially just set the encoder to nvenc if you have a Nvidia card... assuming you will he using OBS

Also going to be emulating games so the faster clock speed will really help out

what games user?

ds games in high res and Citra.

Wtf? I emulate with shitty pcsx2 on an fx 8350, never went below 70% speed. You litierially don't need to upgrade.

Citra is a 3ds emulator, It's hard to run.

Understandable, just make sure you find a good deal, faggot.

you don't know but you're already planning on spending money?
wait and see. chances are you current CPU will do just fine.