Spend thousands of dollars on PC Hardware

>spend thousands of dollars on PC Hardware
>sit in front of a cheap < $150 monitor for hours

why are people this retarded? shouldnt the screen be one of your main concerns, right after the CPU and GPU?

Other urls found in this thread:

files.catbox.moe/3mx721.jpg
amazon.com/VG248QE-1920x1080-144Hz-Gaming-Monitor/dp/B01DDR0FE2/ref=pd_sbs_147_2?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B00B2HH7G0&pd_rd_r=3TWV9D7ATTNGAY3ET4NH&pd_rd_w=kEim8&pd_rd_wg=zESmf&refRID=3TWV9D7ATTNGAY3ET4NH&th=1
accessories.ap.dell.com/sna/category.aspx?c=au&l=en&s=dhs&cs=audhs1&category_id=7824&~ck=bt
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Agreed

Screen hardware is on steroids at the moment so its hard to know when the right time to drop $1000+ on something really good will be

Sorry for the hijack but since we're talking about monitors here, would a 27" one be too big considering I'm going to sit just tad over 2 feets away from it?

>Not using a CRT you got at a yard sale for $5
Get off of my Sup Forums

depends on the resolution obviously

>spend thousands of dollars on PC Hardware
>uses $1 power cables
>keyboard cost less than $25

Why live

Anyone who does this is an idiot. I design a system around the screen. The resolution and refresh rate dictates the GPU based on the customers choice of games, and to a lesser extent also the CPU depending on whether the games they play are CPU intensive. This then dictates all other components in the build.

So for example someone wants a 3440x1440 75hz screen to play AAA titles on, I'm going to recommend a gtx1080 and a 6700K. 1080P gets a 1060 or 480. You get my drift.

Too scared I'll end up with dead pixels on a really expensive monitor.

It's fine

>mfw the total cost of my monitors exceeds most Sup Forumsanoomen's total build

Yeah I know that anything below 1440p is a really bad idea for that size, what I was talking about the sheer size of the monitor, mostly because I've been using a tiny 19" for years so I've no idea just how big 27" would be relative to even 24"

Because I'm poor :^(

>tfw using a $500 monitor with a $1100 PC

No

(( Prebuilt )) maker

but CRT are only great during winter

Agreed

My system is build to accommodate my 34" 1440p 100hz ultra wide

>$400 1440p monitor plugged into $200 thinkpad

truly this is redpilled

It's fine. My 27" 1080p syncmaster just kicked it. Have a Asus 31.5" 1440p coming in tomorrow.

I don't understand this either, my monitor ends up lasting me about 2 to 3 new builds,.

I've been rocking a 4K IPS monitor for years now.

When 4K 144 Hz monitors drop this summer. I'm planning ahead and saving up. Can't wait to play the quality control lottery.

Thanks, I guess I'll go for it.

What about HDR and g/free sync

Joke's on you, I'm sitting in front of a 55 inches HDR/Dolby Vision OLED TV

The screen is the single most important piece of hardware for me. I could use a laptop CPU from 2012 without any real issues. Discrete GPUs are a meme if you aren't playing video games. SSD is a concern, but thankfully I can read and write around 2GB/s. What more could I ask for?

>speccy thread on Sup Forums
>GTX1080 owners of 60Hz monitors

a therapist

The problem is that it's a terrible time to buy a monitor, and has been for a couple of years now. Manufacturers are still dragging their feet on OLED and HDR, so unless you want to play the IPS lottery and return ten monitors before you get one with "acceptable" backlight bleed and glow, you're fucked.

I wish I was as smart as you OP

1080p is fucking fine on a 27" monitor.

It's not my fault that people sell the best quality monitors ever made for under 50€.
And even if i only get about 2000x1500 resolution on my 4:3 CRT the image quality is still the best on the market.

does it count if the actual msrp of my monitor is over $150 but i paid less for it?

but then OLED comes out
but then QLED comes out
but then something that doesn't have shitty blacks and contrast levels of IPS comes out
actually just fuck IPS.

High refresh rates are a meme

That's really mean.

Please share wallpaper.

I can trick mommy into buying components because she doesn't understand them but not an expensive televison

Pedophile scum.
files.catbox.moe/3mx721.jpg

how can monitors even compete with tvs nowadays?

>shouldnt the screen be one of your main concerns

I kept saying this to the management at work.

We had engineers who worked on vital software and were paid close to $100k per year using a pair of old 19-inch monitors that aren't even HD. I told them that every engineer should be working with a pair of monitors that are each at least 24 inch HD.

>actually spending money on your computer
>not just picking up random hardware you find laying in the street and buying essential items

It's almost like you like being poor.

Pic related, got of the hardware and peripherals for free.

I have a U3014 and I all I do is browse 4chin

Bought a $640 Samsung 32inch monitor that's at 1440p.

Bought a samsung CF791 and returned it because I felt it wasn't worth $1k.

Now using a korean monitor 32" 1440p 10-bit SMVA+ panel /w freesync

That's nice, but for specialized tasks a computer with better hardware may need to be utilized. It's not a detriment to have better hardware if you can afford it.

Who /u2312hm/ here?

By far the best purchase I have ever made. Already been using it for 5 years and it's still as good as the day I took it out of the box.

>$2800 pc
>$1200 monitor
i got so hecking sick of having an older TN display with a new pc. i loved it for a long time but there'd been better hardware for a long time by the time i bought the PG348Q, which is a fantastic monitor.

i save nothing for buying furniture however. i'm not looking at any of it most of the time so it doesn't matter.

>Dell P2414h
Is there any reason to buy something other than Dell monitors

>monitors

Looking to buy pic related later this year. Is there anything obviously wrong with this setup?

>how can monitors even compete with tvs nowadays?

By having drastically higher PPI.

I'm actually looking to get a new monitor. Does this seem good, /g.?

amazon.com/VG248QE-1920x1080-144Hz-Gaming-Monitor/dp/B01DDR0FE2/ref=pd_sbs_147_2?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B00B2HH7G0&pd_rd_r=3TWV9D7ATTNGAY3ET4NH&pd_rd_w=kEim8&pd_rd_wg=zESmf&refRID=3TWV9D7ATTNGAY3ET4NH&th=1

I don't want a huge monitor or resolution beyond 1080p.

LCDs are all fucking garbage. It's not worth spending money on a "good LCD monitor" with motion blur and IPS glow out the ass.

I'm going to wait for OLED TVs to come down in price a bit and then never look at an LCD again for as long as I live hopefully.

put a 55 inch TV 6 feet away from you and it might as well be a 27 inch monitor 3 feet away from you.

This is why I like the Macbook Pro with Retina Display

This, OLED looks amazing

I'd rather just use a desk with a high PPI, color calibrated monitor sitting on it.

It's a pretty big difference. I was using a 24" forever and switched to a 30" 16:10 monitor. Took a little while to get used to the size. So much screen real estate.

Feel good?

Thoughts on just buying a high end 4k TV as monitor on a workstation pc?

They should have HDMI 2.1 which supports its own adaptive refresh rate tech anyway

How high end? Because the only 4K TVs you should be considering are OLED.

So do you guys use DisplayPort 1.2 or HDMI?

My hundred dollar asus monitor is pretty good though, especially when calibrated and overclocked to 75hz

Input lag is a pretty big deal with TVs. I'm not a twitch gamer so I don't really care that much about normal desktop monitor lag, but the vast majority of TVs have REALLY terrible lag, sometimes even in their supposed "game mode." So bad that it's annoying even when doing something as mundane as shitposting on Sup Forums.

Also, cheap TVs are shit as monitors, so you're basically looking to either spend a lot of money on a really good monitor or spend lots of money on a really good TV.

Nothing below an LG UH8500 or Samsung KS8000 has 4:4:4 Chroma at 60 Hz, which is the bare minimum for desktop monitors since the early 2000's, and those are $1000 and up TVs (although I got a 55" one for $700 on black friday last year, but even then, $700 can go a long way in the monitor world). Even at 4k, 4:4:4 is a pretty big deal for desktop use.

The B6/C6 55" have dipped to $1400 occasionally in the past year, which is pretty fucking good. That's really no more expensive than a really big, really high end desktop monitor, which still looks like shit next to an OLED. But again, as stated above, input latency is not great, even by my watered down standards. This is especially true for the vast majority of OLED TVs.

Also, putting some TVs in game mode does come with an image quality cost. Why would there be a game mode that magically reduces latency if it didn't have some sort of penalty? If it did not have a trade-off, it wouldn't be called game mode, it would be just a standard feature in all of that TV's modes.

Still, if you got the money, I doubt you'd be displeased with an OLED.

Why is 144Hz more common than 120Hz?

Anyone who uses a good TV as a monitor is going to be using HDMI because TV manufacturers and the industry is retarded.

It became a meme first just like 4k over 1440p

>but then QLED comes out
QLED is a poor man's OLED. OLED was, is, and will continue to be superior to QLED.

QLED is basically Samsung's butthurt damage control marketing to try to convince retards that that they can finally compete against OLED after years of getting stomped in the high end (even though they're still not even in the same league).

It's kind of funny though, OLED is and will continue to be the king of super high end, but in the realm of non-OLED, Samsung destroys LG just as hard with their KS8000/KS9000 series vs. LG's mediocre UH8500/UH9500.

Sorry.

>$900 on pc
>$2300 on monitors
sounds about right

divisible by 24

so in other words the ass backwards "cinema" industry is influencing bad standards, again

My PC is worth probably like $2k if I had to buy everything new again. My monitor I got for $600. Was originally $800. 32" Samsung 1440p. Amazing stand and 4 port USB 3.0 hub. I don't plan on moving up from this until 4k is becoming as common as 1080p and/or 4k IPS 60hz over HDMI is standard enough to be sub $500 for a good IPS OLED panel.

forgot the "and not by 30", cause they hate that shit

But 120 is divisible by 24 as well, and has the added benefit of being divisible by 60

Film looks retarded at 60fps

What are some good 4k monitors?

>plays games at 60fps on good ol 720p monitor
>gets le bigass monitor
>40fps

I'm using a 24" Dell 1920x1080 TN panel I bought back in 2010 and a 23" Dell 1080p LED TN panel I bought a year later; debating retiring the former since it's getting old even if it still works beautifully.
Are there any major breakthroughs in monitor technology I can expect, or should I replace it now?

Also if you had to pick from this list what would you get; feel free to laugh at the prices:
accessories.ap.dell.com/sna/category.aspx?c=au&l=en&s=dhs&cs=audhs1&category_id=7824&~ck=bt
Note: I could probably get (some of) that MR2416 medical unit's expense back in tax since I handle DICOM images at work but $1600 is still a shitload.

Can confirm
screen > GPU > CPU > SSD > Mouse/keyboard > everything else

>run 60Hz and 144Hz display
>60Hz is laggy as FUCK because the 144Hz are not divisible by 30
>have to put 144Hz monitor in 120Hz mode if I'm not playing games or the 60Hz becomes useless

>spent $200 on PC Hardware
>paid $10 for used monitor w/ dead pixels, broken backlight and other issues
>less than $10 on both mouse and keyboard
>handcrafted all cables that weren't included
Is this an acceptable hardware:peripherals ratio?

>tfw using a $1200 PC with 3 monitors, 2 of which are over 10 years old and one I picked up at a electronic recycling center for $50.

This thread reeks of monitor manufacturing shills.
One of my monitors quality is kinda annoying, the light bleed reaches like an inch along all 4 edges.

I sit just one arm length away from my monitor. When I got the 27" it feels too big, so I went for a 23" instead.

whats ur discord

>handcrafted all cables that weren't included
How do you handcraft cables? Did you take copper and then create cables?

>have 144hz monitor and 60hz monitor
>superior ulmb mode is only available for 120hz so i set it to that
>never have a problem and enjoy crisper images
heh

I do that too, but not in this case.
Here it's just connecting plugs to cords to get the cables.

>something that doesn't have shitty blacks and contrast levels of IPS
AMVA

>buying an expensive rig and cheaping out to save less than 50$ with an ancient 144hz monitor like the GN246HL or VG248QE

Just asking for it

>Buying a DVI only 144hz monitor and cry foul when you can't run it with your HDMI laptop.

Remember to breathe so you don't die

>"GTX 1060 / RX480 can't run 1440p 144hz, you should NOT buy this monitor, REEEEEEE"

Because some cards can run ALL games at 1440p at a full 144fps. Retard

>"I'll buy GN246HL, not XG2401 like you suggest, because I have a GTX 1080 and this monitor is Freesync and Nvidia can't use Freesync".

Why do I even bother to live on this gay earth anymore?

Yes, I make prebuilt systems for people who don't have the skills, knowledge or time to build their own.

Luckily I have buttons on the screen to switch to configurable modes
>button 1 normal 120Hz
>button 2 Freesync 144Hz, strobing, 120% sRGB

I went from a 24" to a 27" and it took a little while to get used to by after adjusting i'd say that i couldn't go back to anything smaller.

would there be any downside to getting a 24" 1440p monitor instead of a 27"

Tbh your Monitor should cost just as much if not more than your GPU.

Smaller text and might need to scale. Tbh it would probably be fine though

While we're on the topic of sitting in front of a PC monitor for hours

How do I combat eye strain? Are those computer sunglasses things useful or a scam?

Sensible brightness levels, F.Lux, and a flicker / PWM free backlight

What's the best upgrade from a 27" 1440p@60HZ IPS monitor?

The backlight bleed has started to give me cancer on any screen wtih anything supposedly black.

Ultrameme? I also have an nvidia card so I guess I need to pay up for goysync

Let me know when OLED monitors happen since this was supposed to be the year of them or something.