/pcbg/ - PC Building General: Emergency Copypasta Edition

Post your component list, rate other anons', and ask questions in general.

Always state the purpose of your PC, your budget, AND YOUR COUNTRY if outside the USA.
If you are asking for improvements, clarify whether you want to lower price or to improve specs or build quality.

Assemble your parts list; built-in price comparisons by vendor and a compatibility filter.
pcpartpicker.com

Have a budget, but don't know where to start? This will recommend you a parts list based on price.
logicalincrements.com/
>Subsitute a G4560 with 2400MHz RAM for any Pentium or i3; similar performance, up to 50% cost reduction.
>Consider using an i5 7500 in any RX470/480 or GTX 1060 tier build
>Consider stock fan+heatsink for any i3 or locked i5 build without a Z mobo
>Consider a B250 or mobo for any Pentium or i3 build
>Add a 240GB SSD to the "Very Good" tier build
>The only worthwhile gfx cards are the GTX1050ti, RX470, RX480, GTX1060 6GB for 1080p

General build advice including chipset compatibility, power supply advice, Windows activation information.
pastebin.com/F9diF2hA (embed)

Information about how to assemble a PC, how to select components, etc.
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Build_a_PC
>Outdated chipset information

If you see any other build advice or part list threads, direct them here with

Other urls found in this thread:

pcpartpicker.com/list/2t83BP
diamondmultimediastore.com/diamond-video-graphic-cards/radeon-rx400-series
pcpartpicker.com/list/Zbykm8
pcpartpicker.com/list/4h77d6
pcpartpicker.com/list/ZBYKM8
techspot.com/review/1087-best-value-desktop-cpu/
pcpartpicker.com/list/6mKDKZ
pcpartpicker.com/list/YsgxNN
youtube.com/watch?v=sciuiEcrnzg
pcpartpicker.com/list/ddRxNN
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824160221&ignorebbr=1
pcpartpicker.com/product/hqmxFT/aoc-monitor-g2260vwq6
youtube.com/watch?v=NG-LATBZNBs
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

What are you archiving? if it can be compressed you'll want the 8c/16t Ryzen chip for faster encoding/compressing vs the i7

my cousin becomes 10 in a couple weeks
she wants a switch but ill try to convince her to get a pc ill help make a budget one
id be pro the switch if zelda didnt dip to fukin 20 fps
anyway hows this?
pcpartpicker.com/list/2t83BP
the store im buying from has a be quiet pure power 9 for the same price which is semi modular and silver but its 400w
should i get that or is 400w too low?

>two seperate sticks of ram instead of a kit of 2
durp

rest is fine but maybe get a 470 instead

the lowest 470 in the store im buying is like 20 euro less than the lowest 480 4 gb

>480 4GB
literally a 470

thats 7 more fps
means in the future if game is 30 fps it would be 23 in the 470

Dude the increase from 470 to 480 4GB is twice as much as the increase from 480 4GB to 480 8GB

That means if a future game is 6 fps it would actually suck frames of life from your eyeballs with the 470

>means in the future if game is 30 fps it would be 23 in the 470
that's not how anything thinks

works*

What's the best water cooler for an i7-7700K?

custom loop with 2x triple radiators

Kraken x62 or custom loop

Gamers nexus has a very thorough and detailed review on it

Just buy an 8gb kit

Diamond has an 8GB reference card for $199

diamondmultimediastore.com/diamond-video-graphic-cards/radeon-rx400-series

Get a Seasonic S12II PSU minimum

>my cousin becomes 10 in a couple weeks
>10
Just let her get the switch

>i7 4770k oc'd at 4
>16 gig ram
>780

Would my cpu bottleneck a 1080 or 1080ti?

This. Consoles are way more normie proof, pretty much 0 troubleshooting and works right out the box

No.

she cant pirate games on the switch

You need to delid it to get good temps

a Master Liquid 240 is really good for the money

>she can literally be a criminal with a PC tho

Being 10 years old it's probably best she doesn't pirate anything. Stop being such an autist user.

they cant do shit against a minor

Yes they can, just because someone is underage doesnt mean they are allowed to walk into a store and steal merchandise

>Kraken x62

That's pretty pricey, but I'll make the investment I guess.

>delid it

I've read drops upwards of 20°C, but I'm not confident in my abilities to delid such an expensive chip. Should I maybe call up some PC shops to see if anyone can do it?

>Should I maybe call up some PC shops to see if anyone can do it?
They probably won't do it because if they fuck it up they'll owe you $300 something

just buy a delid kit, gamers nexus should have a video out on it at some point

>AND YOUR COUNTRY if outside the USA
If you live outside USA, you're not living in a country at all.

So, pretty much can't do better for an ITX entry level gaming rig right?

Missing the G4560, but it's sold out on newegg

has to include a monitor

If you don't delid, it shouldn't be a huge problem if you don't overclock your CPU all that much. The Kraken x62 will keep temps stable enough.

pcpartpicker.com/list/Zbykm8
I'll probably get a 1080 Ti instead of a 1070. R8 pls?

not found, what's your display resolution?

Rate:
pcpartpicker.com/list/4h77d6

pcpartpicker.com/list/ZBYKM8
Try this, and it's 1440p.

And why aren't you getting a better CPU in the Ryzen R7 1700 by getting a sata 240GB SSD for $70, and Fury for around $250 ? Because a good CPU will last you longer than a better GPU

Microsoft 8.1?

It's literally impossible for an unlocked i5 to bottleneck a GPU.

Well sure, but for 60hz gaming a cheaper locked i5 and motherboard will do fine

or even a G4560 will be fine for the most part for 60hz gaming

techspot.com/review/1087-best-value-desktop-cpu/

pcpartpicker.com/list/6mKDKZ

Is this hard drive large enough? Will mostly be playing video games, watching anime, and doing light writing on it. How is the monitor as well? Will most likely be switching out the 480 for a newer model when the RX 500s come out in April. Any help would be recommended.

pcpartpicker.com/list/YsgxNN
>started building in november during black friday
>got the 3tb drives for only $30 each
>apu+mobo=$99
>got mad rebates
>built over time for a total cost of only about $600
>posting from it now
>last of the parts are arriving this week
>multipurpose jack-of-all-trades budget box ftw
>100+ fps in warband
>raid 0 6tb array for smooth video editing
>red led fan will provide nice nightlight

Get a bigger HDD. 1TB fills up faster that you think.

It looks fine, but you could drop the SSD and jump to the R7 1700 with one of the $99 B350 boards

Best CPU for LGA775 Socket?

>drop the SSD

No one should build a PC in 2017 without an SSD. It's the single biggest boost to performance you can get.

Aren't SSDs more or less necessary in this day and age though? I mean, I would love to get on the Ryzen train but I feel like an SSD is pretty important.

The core 2 quad extreme? Just get a Q6600, why are you running 775?

You can just add an SSD later? Upgrading the CPU later is much harder.

just split your hard drive with a 150gb partion for the OS, clone it when you get your SSD, and you're all set

Why do you think he would benefit from the cpu ?

Get the XFX GTR RX 480. That or the Sapphire Nitro+.

Mor.
Cores.

Helps with minimum frame rates at times, is easily worth living on a hard drive for a month or so

but i have the q6600 ;_;
cant afford a new system for a while, i've had this one for a few years now
lot's of sata and an ide port, q6600, just added a usb3 pcie card
need ram, and figured there may be a better cpu

i'm seeing xeon x5460 modded for the 775 a lot on ebay, how's that? or is there a better one?

Moving info from an HHD to an SSD is much harder than moving info from an SSD to an HDD.

Don't waste your money on 775, just save up for Ryzen R3&R5, should be a 4c/4t overclockable CPU for $129 USD

Realistically no one should be getting an i5 build now. Wait a couple of months for the R5 and then make the decision.

i5 prices are almost guaranteed to go down by then.

How so?

>i can spend ~$80 now and get a couple more years if not more out of this PC which works for what I need
>or I can spend "$129" (plus mobo plus ram plus other things I may need) = $300+
hmmm

How so?

Hell if I know, I just tried it in the past and it was a pain to do (had to do a full restart, save my previous memory to an external, then re-input it in the SSD on a factory reset). What information do you have to support that it is as simple as you say it is?

just create an image and install it to the new drive?

A plain fury will not hold up at 1440p and even a fury X barely does

It's not. Most games just don't suffer much from CPU bottlenecks at current resolutions. It's conceivable that his 7600k will be a bottleneck in some future title where the 1700 would not, but at the moment it comes down to the fact that a Kaby Lake core is a little bit faster than a Ryzen core, and tends to overclock better to the order of 800MHz on air. The Ryzen chip would still be around 40% faster at most workloads, and potentially much faster than that in certain special cases, but it's just not a good value proposition for his games. To get a decent OC, he'd also need to have one of the high-end Ryzen boards, which are rather expensive right now due to limited supply and high demand. So, basically, a Ryzen build would cost him almost $200 more for benefits that he might never experience. If he honestly wants to spend another $200, a 512GB SSD and 16GB of RAM would serve him better.

except ya know, you won't get a couple of years because that $80 CPU will hardly be faster than what you have now

Because a hard drive and SSD aren't any different to the PC when you're doing partitions

Depends what plans you have for your build. If you're the type that upgrades every 2-3 years then just get Intel cause it's faster now.

If you plan on using your CPU for 5+ years then Ryzen 1700 is the only choice. This guy explains everything you need to know:

youtube.com/watch?v=sciuiEcrnzg

on image becaus eim lazy and its 3:44 AM
8K PLN (around 2000 USD, but you cant really exchange it like this ), 3D game art, Poland.
Would like to improve rendering times a little, but dont want to switch motherboard. Any advice?

What will he be doing a couple years from now that will be prevented by his cpu?

460 is pretty shit go with 1050

2.4Ghz vs 3.xGhz plus ram going from 6GB to 16GB (and switching to ssd for OS drive) will make a slight difference, I reckon
it's not just CPU i'll be upgrading

Well if you're going to upgrade more, why not upgrade to a modern platform? If nothing else Ryzen should also have a $199 4c/8t chip that'll be hitting 4ghz

1050 doesn't come in 4gb variants, and the cards are generally even, not to mention there are no 1050s with 6 pin headers, and DX12/Vulkan seem to scale better for AMD

You'll be fine. I still have a pentium e5300 in my office with 4gb ram and a 240gb hdd. It gets the job done

see $80 will cover the ram and cpu upgrade from sources i've seen
i have ssd's, and everything else is good to go
moving to a new platform is at least a 200-300 upgrade

Which 1070 is best bang for buck/most reliable?

Just buy whichever one you like most

So I herd that GPUs with blowers that exhaust hot air might be better in ITX cases with low air flow. I realize that I may have to underclock, but I can't find a GTX 1080 with a backplate. Does a backplate really matter if my air flow is crappy to begin with?
I am dead set on a 1080, as the Ti will likely just produce more heat than that which is acceptable. Is this assumption incorrect?
I am using a Fractal Design Node 202.

Rate my current build. Should I upgrade my GPU next? I'll probably grab an RX 480 in the coming months

The other user in the thread got me thinking. Should I just take out the SSD in my build to make it cheaper and open up space for a Ryzen CPU and mobo?

Back plates are for aesthetics

What's your display?

if that's a 290 or 290X wait for Vega

5/10

>browsing internet as usual
>PC suddenly cuts out
>restarts itself a few seconds later
>can hear the windows startup jingle through headset but there's no video output
>assume it's a GPU issue, decide to try turning it off and on just in case
>turn off, turn o-BZZ
>now it doesn't turn on at all

Oh well, my days of pretending to be a pc expert are over. Unless any of you have any bright ideas I'll have to admit defeat and take it to get repaired.

I'm just going to wait until I have all my money saved up to buy it then decide whether or not to go intel or AMD (R5 might be out by then, who knows). This is the edited build (leaving out mobo and CPU for now). What do you guys think?

pcpartpicker.com/list/ddRxNN

3440x1440

I'm getting two 1080 Ti's already pre-ordered. How do I connect both of them to the motherboard for best quality/speed? I'll be gaming with my wife using Aster, and running machine learning on it.

Never built pc before, not sure the best way to set up 2 gpu's.

Rampage v edition 10 mobo, 6850k CPU.

I don't know where to start with a build and I could use help.
1. I want to build a server in a tower case with really good hot-swappable storage.
2. I have a NAS that I would like to sync from it too, so it should have some storage.
3. I'd also like it to be a VM server. I won't need many VM's up at once, just store 4-5 and play.

I guess I'm looking for a good motherboard, CPU and maybe case suggestion to get started, and I can figure out the rest. Bonus points if the motherboard has console access over ethernet or serial port

Then get the 1080ti for sure, blower vs dual fan really won't matter, your case should have some vent holes for air flow

Hello fellow ML practitioner

Looks pretty good to me.

Why are you buying an overpriced TN display? Newegg has a 1080p IPS display with VESA for $75 right now, otherwise they're about $100

newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824160221&ignorebbr=1

How did you connect them all together?

That's a nice number of cores. What are your training times?

did you actually buy the RAM?

its a 290. Whens Vega? Julyish?

Better than I thought, I guess that's mostly due to the GPU being older?

Why are you getting a 6850k instead of an R7 1700?

What is machine learning even good for?

I was looking for a 24" monitor with low response time. That has neither. If you want low response times, you have to pay for it. At least, that's what I've found.
Yes...? Why?

Better multi core speeds, got it new for 400 on CL

It's good for machine learning. Prediction. Automation. Optimizations. Classifying, labeling, new GAN developments are cool as shit. You can generate images just by typing what you want to see. Sentiment analysis is great too.

I'm more into nlg/nlp myself.

Um no, about all TN displays will have 1ms reponse times, and IPS is generally better than TN for daily use

as for 1ms vs 5ms it won't matter, what matters more for that kind of stuff is refresh rates

buy this 75hz free-sync display instead at least
pcpartpicker.com/product/hqmxFT/aoc-monitor-g2260vwq6

Ryzen is currently picky about RAM for getting to top speeds, won't matter for most people

>
>What is machine learning even good for?
Not that person but you can do this:
youtube.com/watch?v=NG-LATBZNBs

There are many applications to train and test an algorithm with input data that interests you.

STOP TRYING TO CREATE SKYNET YOU FUCKS