Inevitiable W10 Ride

Current W7 guy here hanging till the end of the ride (or until I get a Ryzen CPU soon for my upcoming upgrade)
What the fuck is this Windows 10 LTSB meme?
Is it against the botnet crap and ads?
I searched online and only found that its a variant that gets less updates and possibly less/non telemetry (?).
Where can I buy it though, no info at all for some reason..

Other urls found in this thread:

support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/am4-chipset-driver.aspx
thepiratebay.org/torrent/17096032/Windows_10_Enterprise_N_2016_LTSB_X64_en-US_Feb_2017-v2__Gen2_
youtube.com/watch?v=HE3XGxDt5_g
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>where can I buy it
You can't. The only good edition of Windows 10 is for pirates only.

Yes, Microsoft is that dumb.

So I have to torrent it?

No, you have to download the ISO from Microsoft. Then edit the registry so it turns from a trial version into an unactivated full version. Then activate it with a KMS crack.

I can get it from msdn fine lmao

official ryzen/am4 chipset drivers for win 7 were released some days ago
you could aswell keep using W7 while upgrading

Now this is the content I need, thanks Sup Forumsmate.
No guides online about this in more in-depth?
Have you done this?

Really? I thought they said "Microsoft bought us out so no more W7 updates".

windows 10 kills harddrives

>support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/am4-chipset-driver.aspx

No scheduler updates for SMT, so it might choke in a few applications. Ryzen won't perform quite as well on 7 once 10 gets patched (right now Ryzen runs 15-20% faster on 7 than 10, fucking kek)

I'm going to try this on a virtual machine in Linux.

you can turn off the telemetry and the ads and the cortana and remove and uninstall the xbox stuff. the only exception is if you use their 'free' .iso that they provide from their site, then you have to pay to unlock the 'personalization' which includes the telemetry and the ads.

How about this torrent?

thepiratebay.org/torrent/17096032/Windows_10_Enterprise_N_2016_LTSB_X64_en-US_Feb_2017-v2__Gen2_

I really need to read up on 10. Wtf? I go away from computers for awhile and look what happens.

Or use a KMS crack

w7 fag here, gonna pray vgpu becomes available to consumer at the time w7 dies, then switch to fedora

I would genuinely and truly love to switch all of my software to exclusively open source but I no longer have time or patience to research how to configure an operating system. Way too much micro-management for me. I loathe Microsoft (and Apple) for acting like fascists but at least I can install Windows 10 and take steps to negate some of the Microsoft totalitarianism in the OS.

I have been running ltsb for awhile now. It's nice. If telemetry bothers you then you still need to disable it via powershell (or some handy scripts people have made and dispersed online).

There are pre-kms'd .isos around; I use one.

Just scrolled down... actually this is the one I use Can confirm that its gud. Dunno if it's the same uploader and idr if I got it off tbp, so proceed with caution as usual.

you don't have to dabble with console to configure Fedora, it has gui for 90% of the stuff ie Fedy/TweakTool. for other stuff you can just copypaste from tutorials. try rolling it in VM on Win, when you have time, maybe you will like it.

i personally don't care much about going full open source. i use pirated stuff (like 3d/photo/video editing apps) on Linux same as on Win. but UNIX architecture and API is simple compared to Win + it has bash and tons of comfy opensource utils on which i can hack if i want to alter something. stuff like Photoshop probably never going to be ported, so i would rather have Win jailed in KVM for 10-20% programs that aren't available on Linux, until there's Linux alternative.

i imagine a future where we could finance open source development via monthly kickstarters instead of buying proprietary

even LTSB has "minimal" botnet, stay away from it

Even with the supposed KMS crack?
I'm not going near W10 till W7 officially "dies" or looses support in 2020-something.
Of course I will seek out all alternatives before W10 when that happens.

The KMS crack is detected as a trojan by almost all virus scanners
Anyway microsoft plans to drop support for third-party win32 applications in 1-2 years which will mean that even linux + wine will have better application compatibility than win10

What's another alternative that still lets users use windows exclusive programs without fear of instability (wine)? Also gayman?

>inb4 games are for kids

Everyone has their hobbies, just because you don't like it doesn't mean that it is objectively bad, if such a thing were to even exist.

Running an old Windows 10 LTSB in a VM/hardware hypervisor
Or just falling for the microsoft walled garden and only using what they will offer through the store

Who actually uses the windows store, or better yet, uses it solely?

VM's are nice for what they are, but for work I'd rather minimize variables.

People won't have an alternative in the future

Cloud connection can be disabled/avoided through using LTSB - the omition of both cortana and edge are what makes it attractive for people who prefer/are forced to remain within the windows ecosystem.

There are plenty of criticisms to make about windows 10, and it is indeed a slimy stinky buffalo-shit right on the consumers' face, but that doesn't mean that there aren't methods to making it usable.

Sure, but LTSB users are less than 1% so everyone will only publish their shit through the store that is missing from that version.
It's probably too early to speculate about the details.

That's big-brother category worst scenario, which although possible is not something I see as likely.

However, I do think that (as we have already seen) the gap between knowledgable users and normal users will continue to grow as computers and the ways we interface with them become more and more homogenized (and thus gentrified.)

I do think/hope that software and user ecosystems will continue to survive for people who care/know/want more out of their computers, but I suppose only time will tell.

Remember that the CEO is the guy who fucked up Windows phone by making it into an iphone clone/waled garden, he's crazy and stupid enough to try to fuck up windows completely
My fear is that in the future you'll have to either use really cheap but useless (to the power user) hardware, or spend a lot to get something truly usable

Xubuntu with a GPU passthrough VM

It is possible, I just don't see how MS can replace the decades old software ecosystem that exists around windows. Not to mention that for a substantial portion of users it IS the reason they continue to use the OS, and that's not even mentioning businesses.

Unfortunately I have no igpu

I've seen stuff that gets detected as trojans without actually being one - a lot of cracks are like that, as well.

Do we KNOW it's a trojan, or is it just a false positive because of how it interacts with the OS?

KMS is not a trojan.

passthrough should work with any dedicated gpu. still its a hack tech. its so uncomfy to roll that you might as well just buy two pc and place them side by side.

wait for virtual gpu tech to mature. like gvt-d(already werks in latest linux kernel), nvidia vgpu(not likely), amd mxgpu (more likely). then you can spin any 3d accelerated win app with perfomance close to native, but in virtual machine on linux.

This seems like a waste of a GPU to me. I can understand doing this for gaming, but what about other tasks that the GPU does like hardware video decoding?

>virtual gpu
something like this youtube.com/watch?v=HE3XGxDt5_g

I"ll keep it in mind, but honestly it makes more sense for me to use windows on my desktop. I wish it weren't the case but it is for now. I've always used linux on laptops and other portables, but I can't justify it as a main OS yet.

Kek