I need a NAS for my home office - my girlfriend does a lot of photo editing and has to swap data between computers...

I need a NAS for my home office - my girlfriend does a lot of photo editing and has to swap data between computers, and I need to do the same for my environment (dropbox not my cup of tea).

Was going to grab this thing but considering how exploitable it has been revealed to be (blog.exploitee.rs/2017/hacking_wd_mycloud/), I'm looking at other options.

I don't want a rack server unless I find a cheap one on CL.

I was going to use a Pi because of cost but
>USB bandwidth

Is there any secure non-dodgy company that makes a NAS that has the following constraints:

- Isn't a gigantic tower
- Easily swappable bays (2 minimum, 4+ preffered)
- Secured remote access
- Can run Plex
- Open, if not open source

My budget is

bump

Board rules, /thread.

Don't mix streaming/transcoding with your data store. Get a dedicated device for streaming and a dedicated NAS for data storage.

>product discussion is tech support

Sup Forums wouldn't exist. Fuck off.

build one yourself.

Why not? If the resources are available without additional overhead (since the CPU will be underutilized anyway), why not use it?

I'm not against that, but are there any good resources for that? I essentially need to find a Pi with SATA and an enclosure that lets me easily swap bays.

>my girlfriend does a lot of photo editing
horses?
nude selfies?
nude selfies getting fucked by horse dildos?
nudes of her and friends getting fucked by random african american entrepaneur?

>has to swap data between computers
that's not what a NAS is for. share folders in the network.

a pi wont cut it. no gigabit. no raid over sata.

buy a fan-less mini itx board with cpu onboard and enough sata ports for your needs. i recommended raid-1 for beginners. don't forget to do regular backups to cold storage.

All of the above, along with some professional photography and modeling.

Of horses and dildos, of course.

It will also be for long-term archival/safekeeping.

I was considering the new Mini-STX boads that recently launched, they're 5" x 5" and aside from no PCIE support are otherwise full performance boards.

no, but the point of a nas is that you don't have to swap data anymore since it will always be on your nas (and backups).

Here's a good case which I'm using myself:
U-NAS NSC-400

shared folders do the same. NAS are for storage, not transfer.

Get an APU, undervolt it, and build it yourself.

You'll be happier.

Might as well just transfer data on disk and let them sit unplugged, why keep a NAS powered on if not to use it?

do remember that without pcie you won't be able to expand your number of high speed sata ports and a lot of small mobos only have 2. this is not a problem on raid-1 but of you expect to expand your pool of disk in the future that can be a nuisance (i currently consider to go from raid-1 to 10 but can't without getting another board)

i'm with you but my point kinda was that with a nas you can stop transfering between PCs and start storing on a nas.

>buy a fan-less mini itx board with cpu onboard
>expecting any good RAID performance

excellent, for all your horse cock needs I think she would be fine using one of the synology models. Synology DS716+II sounds fine, it will certainly be better than the WD you posted. Avoid the raspberry pi it will shit itself because of the whole network/usb thing.

>It will also be for long-term archival/safekeeping.

best you could do is use the synology or anything that lets you put two disks and you just go RAID 1. She will be able to use all her horsedildo picks for her pleasure but also if a drive craps itself you just go and get a new one and everything is fine and dandy. Problem with that setup is that you only have as much space as the size of the disks you are using. That means if you put 2 x 2TB drives, you only can use 2TB, the other drive is just a copy (for archival purposes).

my ad2550-itx has no problems what so ever to saturate my gigabit network.

You have some hardon for exotic and hard to work with form factors? Stop your special snowflake bs and get an itx board

I just like the small form factor. There's nothing generic that's smaller that isn't a specific product.

Bottlenecks and critical sections. No matter how beefy the box, there will always be instances where resource allocation doesn't happen how you wish it would, causing one or more tasks to take a backseat when you need them to work smoothly.

Nobody gives a shit about your dick pics. Just set up a networked drive you fucking moron.