Pajeets on Sup Forums are saying linux is insecure because of the vault 7 revelations

>pajeets on Sup Forums are saying linux is insecure because of the vault 7 revelations
>vault 7 only listed 3 linux exploits
>two of the linux exploits are out of date
>one of the exploits is completely unusable on any modern distribution
>99% of the linux relevant documents are tutorial guides

Other urls found in this thread:

wikileaks.org/ciav7p1/cms/page_9535850.html
wikileaks.org/ciav7p1/cms/page_524321.html
wikileaks.org/ciav7p1/cms/page_9535842.html
man.openbsd.org/OpenBSD-current/man2/ptrace.2
templeos.org/
memeos.org/
search.wikileaks.org/?q=systemd
marc.info/?l=openbsd-announce&m=148839684520133&w=2
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Here are the exploits:

Privilege escalation exploit through HAL - HAL hasn't been used since 2011. Every distribution switched to udev

wikileaks.org/ciav7p1/cms/page_9535850.html

Sparrow xorg (?) exploit - It doesn't even work on Linux

wikileaks.org/ciav7p1/cms/page_524321.html

Gyrfalcon - the only actual, working exploit mentioned by vault 7

wikileaks.org/ciav7p1/cms/page_9535842.html

Basically that's just the shit we now know about, they were using those exploits when they worked and now no doubt are using more exploits that we don't know about

by the time we find out what they have been up to, it's out of date. They keep up to date though

this

Surprise, nobody fucking cares about Linux lmfao
Why develop 0day for something nobody important uses

Big if true.

selinux by N S A (tm) and pfsense and they can suck by dick

really makes you think

CIA are using it. The 3 letter agencies pour money into free software charities and foundations cause it's worthwhile to them to keep paying developers to develop the systems they will typically use.

A lot of the dev tutorials on the leak are for Windows and setting it up as a build environment

Sure, a lot of their workforce will likely be using Windows as well.

What's really crazy is the CIA doesn't really have that much 0day compared to the NSA. NSA has a lot better people and their EDG is fucking massive

Probably just an issue with talent.

NSA here. AMA.

P.S. fuck CIA

exactly ... this is just the tip of the iceberg

BULLSHIT
U
L
L
S
H
I
T

Are you gonna help trump or fight against him alongside the pedo-cia

Please rephrase the question.

>Are you gonna help trump or fight against him alongside the pedo-cia

We are loyal to the administration, but more importantly, the country, and keeping it safe.

>We are loyal to the administration, but more importantly, the country, and keeping it safe.

I just ordered some moly and weed online

are you going to bust me?

No. We'll send some pizza soon. Your mom has great tits btw.

>No. We'll send some pizza soon. Your mom has great tits btw.

thx plox desu senpai

linux faggots in total damage control. B T F O

>ptrace on live system
>ptrace on live openssh process

>>ptrace on live openssh process

what. the. fuck.

You're forgetting the most critical flaw in Linux:
no games

>wikileaks.org/ciav7p1/cms/page_9535842.html

Besides, not really an "exploit", merely a backdoor implementation. Using debugging facilities to inject code into arbitrary process is pretty much capability of any modern OS - openbsd included. You obviously need to have local credentials to do so.

Tell them to use windows 7 instead.

We can stick to our Linux distros. Any one sane enough to even look at the documents can see that 99% of them detail how to exploit windows distros.

If they want to be ignorant then exploit their ignorance.

were you inspired by a family guy episode?

>were you inspired by a family guy episode?
No, why? I don't watch tv. Also, one of my friends watched family guy and I fucking detested it. It's the most puerile garbage.

+1 Insightful.

Snowden and Assange are basically troops of proxy war between CIA and NSA. CIA fired the shots first, now NSA retaliates.

Which exploits for OS X did the leaks reveal?

bump, fuck disinfo poo in loos

Ahem, I mean, we, don't watch that garbage.

AMA over.

That apostrophe is wrong. It's "Nazis".

Why couldn't you let the Pajeets have just one day, OP?
It made them so happy.

>Live patching binary for fun

Yes it's direct violation of W^X but handy feature while developing something.

OpenBSD kernel disables it by default and developer has to manually compile kernel to utilize it. Not sure how linux distros compile their kernel but my Ubuntu and Fedora seems to have it enabled.

man.openbsd.org/OpenBSD-current/man2/ptrace.2

Ubuntu and Fedora confirmed for insecure.

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

I'm terribly sorry for interjecting another moment, but what I just told you is GNU/Linux is, in fact, just Linux, or as I've just now taken to calling it, Just Linux. Linux apparently does happen to be a whole operating system unto itself and comprises a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Most computer users who run the entire Linux system every day already realize it. Through a peculiar turn of events, I was misled into calling the system "GNU/Linux", and until now, I was unaware that it is basically the Linux system, developed by the Linux project.

There really isn't a GNU/Linux, and I really wasn't using it; it is an extraneous misrepresentation of the system that's being used. Linux is the operating system: the entire system made useful by its included corelibs, shell utilities, and other vital system components. The kernel is already an integral part of the Linux operating system, never confined useless by itself; it functions coherently within the context of the complete Linux operating system. Linux is never used in combination with GNU accessories: the whole system is basically Linux without any GNU added, or Just Linux. All the so-called "GNU/Linux" distributions are really distributions of Linux.

>Every distribution switched to udev
Yeah, but what about hipster distros without udev?

>nobody important uses
>almost all datacenter uses linux
Being this retard...

>selinux by N S A (tm) and pfsense
co-co-combo breaker!

Most of them is about phones as i see.

Literally everything uses Linux. It only hasn't taken over the desktop since Windows comes preinstalled and even then, you can bet your ass m$ will eventually merge the Linux kernel into their shitty OS so that they know what they're working with. No one knows how Windows truly works anymore, they just know that it does.

>templeos.org/
templeos.org/
>templeos.org/

>memeos.org/
memeos.org/
>memeos.org/

>almost all datacenter uses linux

that chart showing virtualized web servers hosted by godaddy does not mean all datacenter use linux you dip.

enter the real world

Let me guess, these cow lickers went to say "Shellshock is a vulnerability on every linux system" didn't they?

>enter the real world
You should.

prove yourself right. of course there will always be at least one linux machine, but you are fucking kidding yourself if you think 'almost all datacenter uses linux'

even google has windows domain controllers along with their linux stuff

ok guys look.
is your computer plugged in ? then its not secure
is it on ? then its haked.
come on ppl , wake the fuck up.
you are connected to a nucular facility..............
your computer is a trojan, duh, gawd the things i though ppl knew.........

Can you repeat that last thing you said?

No. Google is abandoning windows because of an 18yo windows exploit which is not fixed yet.

>an 18yo windows exploit which is not fixed yet

KEK

Perhaps the role of CIA is far different than that of the NSA

>mfw the bug is older than me
Microsoft sucks.

it's okay op linux is safe :^)
keep using it, you are protected :^)
there are no exploits on linux :^)
:^)

>mfw the bug is older than me

mods

Sup Forums is for people of 18 years of age or above.

lucky for you I know just the right place:
www.reddit.com

>true dat
true dat
>true dat

This

Security through obscurity

>Why develop 0day for something nobody important uses

Red Star OS (North Korea)
Some Chinese version of Linux

Hmmmmmmm, well. These might be a potential target.

Kim Ching Chong Un is Macfag

Yea but I'll fucking bet their infrastructure isn't.

One thing to keep in mind is that this was an archive that people had been illegally trading outside of the agency. It's certainly not up to date. Does anyone know how old the archive is? What's the newest file?

How to combat Vault 7 Exploits:

>UPDATE YOUR FUCKING SOFTWARE
>done

Using old hardware with modified custom bios to behave as you will so no typical backdoors unless someone reverse engineer it wich would take long and you just fix it by yourself is the only way to go.

you spelled install gentoo wrong

search.wikileaks.org/?q=systemd

The leaker probably only leaked old exploits that have been patched by now because they didn't want other hackers to have access to these holes. If the CIA had exploits a few years ago, they have more of them today.

echo 0 > /proc/sys/kernel/yama/ptrace_scope

this, the stranger your setup the better

The documents range from 2013-2016

My last job's retail sales computers ran linux, and given how out of date everything else in the store was I would assume they were vulnerable. may be worth considering its to target businesses rather than individuals.

Facebook, Amazon and Google mostly use Linux based OS'es
That's already the vast majority of servers in existence
Not really, it's mostly a mix of old Windows with some *nix machines here and there

do they have anything on systemd?

not that we can tell yet

>Literally everything uses Linux.

Linuxtards are so stupid

marc.info/?l=openbsd-announce&m=148839684520133&w=2

I don't get the ptrace exploit. At the point of local code execution ptrace only one of the gorillion tools that can pwn you.

On a related note, did anyone else notice a lot of the documents looks like latex documents?

>openbsd enables W^X by default
Does it whitelist JIT VMs or what?

Biggest lesson to be be learned here is that governments waste money, and money doesn't count sometimes. 100 Billion dollars for set of very platform specific exploits, plus stamp collecting of other peoples exploits, plus some ongoing implementation and maintenance efforts of dubious utility and again with narrow focus and limited lives, lots and lots of codewords and big management driven ideas that fizzled. Mozilla today kind of springs to mind.

Also, Samsung security sucks. Was known though.

These aren't up to date since Wikileaks aren't the ones doing the dirty work getting this stuff. If you read the report, these tools were used and subsequently lost to contractors and hacker groups throughout the us at the time. Who knows what they have now. Probably can take full control of a tesla and kill someone.

>they fell for the LaTeX meme

>exploit
That's a feature

>Not really, it's mostly a mix of old Windows with some *nix machines here and there
A lot of their public websites are running Red Star.

wintards, freetards btfo by CIA, kek

C and buffer overflows, I swear
this lang should be prohibited

it's enabled by default on most linux distros

OK, what's the threat model that is broken with ptrace enabled, but not broken with ptrace disabled?

they technically aren't wrong but they vastly overblow the results and also for some reason don't realize that data centers also usually have multiple operating systems working together on things they're good at

never personally worked with a large company that doesn't have NT servers at least somewhere, most I've seen use it for a surprising amount of jobs, whether for services integrating with their main Windows-based desktop fleets and userbase like AD/remote desktop or even big DB systems

I'm really sorry but you seem to misunderstand that Linux in itself is a kernel and not an operating system that can be booted from a zip disquette.
What you are looking for, is the operating system, not the kernel.
This is generally referred to as the GNU system for most general purpose computers.
You are most likely referring to the combination of the GNU system with the Linux kernel. This is called the GNU operating system with Linux added as its kernel.
If you want to try a flavor of the GNU operating system with Linux added as its kernel, there are many different ones to choose from.
A very beginner friendly distribution of the GNU operating system with Linux added as its kernel is the Ututo GNU operating system with Linux added as its kernel.
Another great flavor is the Trisquel GNU operating system with Linux added as its kernel.
Both of the ones mentioned above comply with the 4 essential software freedoms as proposed by the Free Software Foundation with Richard M. Stallman added as its president.
They only contain fully free licensed open source software that respects the user's freedom.
If you are interested in trying out some flavours of the GNU operating system with Linux added as its kernel, feel free to download any of the distributions of the GNU operating system with Linux added as its kernel mentioned on the website of the Free Software Foundation with Richard M. Stallman added as its president.
If you have any further questions about the GNU operating system with Linux added as its kernel or fully free licensed open source software feel free to ask for help. The GNU operating system with Linux added as its kernel community will gladly point any new user to the right direction.
Happy Hacking.

Retards who continue to refer to the Linux operating system incorrectly, yeesh.

Well now we all know linux is better than windows

that's fake (c) Sup Forums you stupid retard