I keep reading that after Firefox 57 it's gonna be difficult to write extensions and developers are already jumping off...

I keep reading that after Firefox 57 it's gonna be difficult to write extensions and developers are already jumping off the ship. What is Mozilla doing?

Other urls found in this thread:

developer.mozilla.org/en-US/Add-ons/WebExtensions/Comparison_with_XUL_XPCOM_extensions
software.opensuse.org/download.html?project=home:stevenpusser&package=palemoon
launchpad.net/~jonathonf/ archive/ubuntu/mozilla
downthemall.net/re-downthemall-and-webextensions-or-why-why-i-am-done-with-mozilla/
8pecxstudios.com/Forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1756
grammar-monster.com/lessons/vocative_case_commas.htm
github.com/iridium-browser/iridium-browser)
chromium.googlesource.com/chromium/src.git/ /master)
news.ycombinator.com/item?id=9724409
bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=500922#c30
news.ycombinator.com/item?id=13514415
bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=686430
chromium.woolyss.com/
reddit.com/r/linux/comments/5r177a/chromium_doesnt_allow_disabling_widevineeme/
github.com/pyllyukko/user.js/
static.mozilla.com/moco/en-US/pdf/Mozilla_Audited_Financials_2014.pdf
github.com/greasemonkey/greasemonkey/issues/2275
bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1199718
blog.mozilla.org/addons/2016/11/23/add-ons-in-2017/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Firefox is dropping support for XUL, which is the original system they made for creating Extensions.
The new system is called WebExtensions, which does not allow developers to do as much as they could with XUL. It's another move to a Chrome-like experience.

Developers don't (or simply cannot) want to deal with this change (rewriting their Extensions), so they are leaving.

Checkout this document listing WebExtension equivalents to XUL APIs. There's tons of stuff missing.

Forgot link.
developer.mozilla.org/en-US/Add-ons/WebExtensions/Comparison_with_XUL_XPCOM_extensions

Also, some developers are leaving because they find it hard to work with the new multi-process system recently introduced (E10 or Electrolosys).

(•‿> •)

stop using firefox

Where are they jumping ship too?

Pale Moon, probably. A fork for traditionalist Firefox enthusiasts.

Thanks, Straver.

palemoon as other user said and also waterfox will also support legacy extensions

just switch to firefox esr releases and don't worry about anything for a couple of years.

When is palemoon coming to Ubuntu LTS?

palemoon for ubuntu (and all debian-based distros): software.opensuse.org/download.html?project=home:stevenpusser&package=palemoon

firefox esr ppa (currently releases build for trusty and xenial): launchpad.net/~jonathonf/ archive/ubuntu/mozilla

take your pick, and then you don't have to bitch about firefox like these gnubes.

any other developers put up their rants about how fucking backwards mozilla is going?

downthemall.net/re-downthemall-and-webextensions-or-why-why-i-am-done-with-mozilla/

i heard they paid off the cyberfox lead dev to (((shut it down))) because he was having health issues and needed cash

pretty fucked up to take advantage of someone liket hat

45.8 or 52.1 ?

Anyone have an idea if the addon 'Stylish' will continue to exist for the new versions? That is literally the only addon I cannot live without. ALl the other ones, I'm sure there are alternatives.

Forgot to mention, the addon also exists in Chrome but I am not able to customize the Chrome interface with it, just the websites. Will FF be the same or will FF always allow us to customize the UI?

Firefox old extension system was slow, since they have to manually check every piece of obfuscated extension source code that devs send them. If you want to publish extension to Firefox, you wait half a year for it to be approved, while praying to god every day. Also a lot of malware slipped through the manual checks.

WebExtensions allow to skip manual review, devs can easily port their existing code from Chrome to Firefox. As Firefox is dying (only 12% market share left), Mozilla fear people won't bother to support Firefox for websites soon.

So Mozilla try to make it friendly for new devs and general public. And general public is using Chrome.

Maybe WebExtensions std is limited, but Mozilla's primary goal is to make $$$money$$$, and you can't make much money on bunch of 60-year-olds advocating for XUL. And you can't make much money when no one care to do free work for your browser. You need to attract an army of normie devs from chrome ecosystem.

So this move is essential for Firefox survival. Developers cry because they fear change, but that is expected.

That is the dumbest reasoning ever the same that Mozilla is going off of. You don't carve out the market by trying to copy your competitor and play catch up but rather by leading the pack and being unique with your product. Adding WebExtensions and allowing easy porting from Chrome was a smart idea but killing off your bread and butter isn't. The best part about Firefox are the legacy addons and with the ability they grant users to tweak their system to their liking.

With their current route, they will gain nothing and lose everything. They don't attract any devs or users from Chrome because they don't offer anything better! It's the same brick and mortar with a new UI they need to get used to. Normies don't give a shit about their privacy so good luck getting them that way. They only way they were going to get back into it was going to be with their current actions plus keeping XUL and adding on the features adding more customizability and choice to users. They get their shit together and make Firefox as good as Chrome in shared departments the unique power features would be what brings them over. Normies would eat up themes and extensions that are easy, right out of the box that did more than slap new paint on the UI.

Mozilla is ran by SJWs and diversity hires with no vision and shitty ideas. If you really think pure webExtensions and cloning Chrome is the way to go you're fucking retarded.

Kill yourself, you dumb fucking shit stain.

Source?

mozilla has been cloning chrome for quite some time, senpai. you should run, hide.. don't you see? hell is empty and all the devils are here

>mozilla has been cloning chrome for quite some time
Great so we're in agreement! One should mirror/steal ideas from their competitor that are good but keep develop their own in their wider vision.

I just pray that Waterfox will hold out else Palememe is my new home.

8pecxstudios.com/Forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1756

Found this. Haven't read yet.

>FF 15.4 %(decline from 46% in 2009) vs Chrome 73.7 %
i don't see much competition going
i guess in the upcoming years we ll see if mozilla has any vision left and where your prayers take you
since everyone is a nosy jew on the internet and is not to be trusted, i will probably make an effort to dive in chrome code base and remove botnet myself

It's called ungoogled-chromium retard.

I will never go back to anything chrome related though. I've had a taste of the good life of customizbility and a real power browser. Chrome is a shitty joke looking back, glad Ieft it.

[1] grammar-monster.com/lessons/vocative_case_commas.htm
[2] "Chrome is a joke that is looking back" or "Chrome is a joke. Looking back..."?

>it takes a jew to catch a jew
>trusting some random ungugled jew on the internet
>because you stupid normie who trusts any jew
nice try, jew-trusting normie, but i can take care of myself and patch it with my own hands. buy you are free. to keep sucking that sweet jew dick of your preference.

Literally nothing

>it takes to much time to maintain shit now that Mozilla is killing shit aka I was never a dev just some few tweaks to FF code,and I got no cash for this shit

>I keep reading that after Firefox 57 it's gonna be difficult to write extensions
There are some things devs won't be able to do like they used to.

People always piss and moan about FF. Yet they continue to use it because it has the widest variety of addons. Chrome and Safari can't compete.

>Pale Moon
You will see some folks switch to PM. But most folks who are using FF today will continue to do so.

>So Mozilla try to make it friendly for new devs and general public. And general public is using Chrome.
>general public is using chrome

MAYBE BECAUSE MOZILLA TOTALLY FUCKING FORGOT THEY WERE MAKING A BROWSER FOR THE GENERAL PUBLIC INSTEAD OF THEIR 5-GENDERED TRANSBLACK LARGEBEAUTIFUL TUMBLR FRIENDS

Why the fuck does Firefox keeps Chromifying their browser?

Goddamn I've been using this shit for so many years I don't want to switch to Chrome

Never use Chrome. Use Chromium or Iridium, but never Chrome.

>Yet they continue to use it because it has the widest variety of addons.
That will now no longer be true, though.

Too bad Palemoon sucks diseased wolf dicks, rapes your RAM, your CPU, ramdomly crashes (and doesn't even has a crash reporter), can't even render popular sites like Twitter and youtube properly, lags when watching videos...

t. moved from Palemoon to Chromium and the performance difference is like night and day.

Iridium phones home to the German botnet. Chromium has installed proprietary binary blobs in the background (without the user's knowledge or previous approval). Don't be a gobshite.

>That will now no longer be true, though.
FF will have more extensions that Pale Moon and the rest. It won't have as many as it used to. But the popular extensions aren't going anywhere.

Some of the extensions used by turbo-nerds? Yeah the ADHD tab extensions are gone. And those people will move to PM.

>botnet is everywhere
i wonder who were the coders that coded all the botnet stuff. like.. where they abused/molested in childhood, bullied at school, girls didn't have sex with them, they didn't have physique or the looks, probably balding at 20? how do you arrive at being a person who codes botnet?

>Iridium phones home to the German botnet

Since Iridium is open source (github.com/iridium-browser/iridium-browser) please show me which lines have the botnet code.

>Chromium has installed binary blobs

Since Chromium is open source (chromium.googlesource.com/chromium/src.git/ /master) please show me which lines have the blob loading code.

Or find someone who has actually done the research and reaches the same conclusions that you have, backed up with examples from the freely available source code.

I'll wait.

it's more like they're normies to whom privacy is a foreign, outdated concept. They can't understand why anyone would care that some company has a list of their complete browsing history.

good goy

Good goy denouncing the application of logic - the main reason SJWism took root and started destroying Mozilla and various Linux communities.

Hey does anybody know how to forbid ESR from updating in Debian?

Plz?

I'll give a CIA smiley: ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ

I maintain a small extension (100k users).

I will also probably drop the whole thing when overlay extensions are disabled.

assuming its installed from apt what you want is called "pinning", which tells the package manager what versions of a package it may or may not install. You can say either "freeze at this version" or "upgrade no higher than version X", which will let you pick up the last 45 ESR release, if they push that.

oh thanks i'm reading now

No. It will require Mozilla to add that level of customization to their API. They're aware of the demand for this but there's no telling when it will be implemented. It's not all bad though since this allows another extension to take over the userbase after the dev of stylish sold out.

> Or find someone who has actually done the research and reaches the same conclusions that you have, backed up with examples from the freely available source code.
news.ycombinator.com/item?id=9724409
And recent shit with DRM too.

>muh vimperator
>muh barless/iconless/bloatless UI
I would be using google if I could just get rid of the tab and address bars, even though vimium is total shit compared to vimperator
hopefully by the time ff decides to croak, these options will be available

bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=500922#c30

"[email protected], Jun 24 2015
In light of this issue, we have decided to remove the hotwording component entirely from Chromium. As it is not open source, it does not belong in the open source browser.

Chromium builds from r335874 (version 45) onwards will have hotwording disabled by default and will not download the module. There is no way to enable this feature at runtime. Google Chrome users will be unaffected (although, as always, will have to opt in using settings before the hotword module will activate)."

Do you care to respond to this or show me any claims or facts about 'recent shit with DRM'?

news.ycombinator.com/item?id=13514415
bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=686430

>ahh you got me! hehe, ok ill remove it :^)
really gets the noggin joggin

GOOD post

thanks friend!

They're called 'coding monkeys', my friend, top coders are innovators, coding monkeys you pay 1/100th of your salary are the type of people that copypaste botnet code in India while hoping to get rich off on an extremely shitty apk with their new delhi shitting street 'international' college diploma.

The bitching about Widevine is inaccurate, as it isn't even included by default on Chromium, only Chrome. You have to include another package to get Widevine on Chromium.

chromium.woolyss.com/

'No Widevine' for Windows x64 systems, Ubuntu, Debian, Fedora, Arch, Gentoo, OSX, FreeBSD, OpenBSD.

reddit.com/r/linux/comments/5r177a/chromium_doesnt_allow_disabling_widevineeme/

Okay, find me a more secure browser than Chromium to use that's functional on most websites.

firefox with github.com/pyllyukko/user.js/

>go back to chrome
>he wasn't on firefox before chrome came out
>ONLY JUST had a taste of the good life of customizbility and a real power browser

12 year olds gtfo

also chrome is miles better than the shit firefox has devolved into today

How does taste in browsers differ between the general public and 5-GENDERED TRANSBLACK LARGEBEAUTIFUL TUMBLR FRIENDS?

Can you point to a single study or article that concludes Firefox with that hardening patchset is more secure than Chromium?

Every single article, blogpost, video, conference talk and conversation I've ever had has told me that Chrome/Chromium are more secure than Firefox, due to tab sandboxing and other security focused things.

>doesn't work on google docs
>tumblr keeps freezing :^)
>automatic completion keeps bugging out

I'M OUT
I FOR ONE WELCOME OUR BOTNET OVERLORDS

5-GENDERED TRANSBLACK LARGEBEAUTIFUL TUMBLR FRIENDS are fine with destroying a previously strong software project by installing their clueless and incompetent ideological peers into software development positions.

google is an evil company run by high IQ jewish devils

mozilla is a pathetic SJWspace that makes a living by aping chrome, also nevermind the fact that they would literally die if google pulled their search engine money

welp brave is gonna get new shit see ya fire shits

>Mozilla's primary goal is to make $$$money$$$

The Mozilla Foundation is a registered 501c3 non-profit organization.

>The Mozilla Corporation is the for-profit arm of the Mozilla Foundation that coordinates and integrates the development of its Firefox browser

> also nevermind the fact that they would literally die if google pulled their search engine money
Google already dropped sponsorship a couple of years ago, and Yahoo got Mozilla for a few years at least.

why would you believe a study or article by random person on internet is better than a post of random user on Sup Forums? media is controlled by the jews, jews only want to make profit off you.

chrome doesn't have/allow half the privacy settings firefox has. you have to read the source yourself to be sure, or rely on opinion of others(jews) and get cucked.

also people used to believe there is bearded god flying in the sky, every single article, biblepost and tale told so. today we know there's no god in the sky. the morale is people are stupid meat, i write without caps, how fucked up is that? you can't trust anyone except yourself. face it

Their mission statement is the same as the Foundation.

Most would rather be ruined by Google's evil than Mozilla's gross incompetence.

also
>implying the jews aren't behind the sjw cuckshow that mozilla has turned into

Mozilla Corporation, that actually develop Firefox is commercial organization.

>What is Mozilla doing?

Dying their hair a different color everyday and cutting off their dicks. Anyone worth shit has already left the company.

>non-profit
>makes profit
static.mozilla.com/moco/en-US/pdf/Mozilla_Audited_Financials_2014.pdf
where do you think those 330 mil come from?

This doesn't match the post I was replying to.
Not an answer.

is pcxFirefox still worth running? the performance gains seem negligible to me at this point

You're an idiot and so is Mozilla. They are not going to steal market share from Chrome by becoming a crappy Chrome copycat. FF's one advantage was their powerful extensions system. They should have doubled down on appealing to power users and made themselves standout as the browser for "nerds." Instead, all they did was hasten their own demise.

>It's another move to a Chrome-like experience.
This shit makes me rage so hard, seriously how retarded is mozilla? They seem so fucking clueless with every step they take. They basically are killing their own product. These faggots deserve to go out of business, juts a shame there won't be any decent browsers left when they do.

>Now I don't know if I'll switch back to Mozilla Firefox or just use Chrome. I mean, Mozilla seems intent on making Firefox a copy of Chrome. May as well just use the real thing.
cyberfox is dead

Just use Pale Moon.

>he thinks normie browser gives a shit about power-users and nerds
so their user base would be like 3.5 users, nice.
this is not how the moneys is made, famalam.

mozilla makes their moneys selling off your ass to Yahoo, Bing, Yandex, Baidu, Amazon, eBay, and others. and since """"nerds"""" and powerusers are paranoid and care about privacy, you can't make much moneys off them. so why cater to them

and lets face the truth: mozilla probably not gonna `steal` or `carve out` anything. its on life support, best you can do is hope it won't die in 1-2 years.

Tech TV was never huge, but it had a niche and made money. Then it merged and became G4, which tried to be Spike lite, and look at what happened to it.

>tfw I only use ublock and greasemonkey
Comfy.

Yeah, it's going to improve considerably with the migration of firefox users. CF was maintained by only one person, so it didn't really have a future.

internet is fucked

add https everywhere, noscript and font changer

On point.

>github.com/greasemonkey/greasemonkey/issues/2275
I hope this goes well.

It's literally nothing. They will replace XUL with WebExtensions. In the process, they will expand WebExtensions to be just as powerful.

>WebExtensions to be just as powerful.
LOL

No, Native.js was resolved as wontfix reason:
>in 2015 it was said we'd deprecate the permissive add-on model

They don't want to make webextensions as powerful as bootstrapped extensions anymore.

Source: bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1199718

>the popular extensions aren't going anywhere
Yes they are, XUL is being dropped, only webextensions from Nov 2017. Firefox will have as much customizability as chrome, in fact, it will basically look, feel and behave like another chrome reskin.

It will be more customizable than chromium. Chromium doesn't even let you rearrange toolbar buttons. In addition to moving buttons it will still have themes and extensions which can modify the chrome

That doesn't mean that WebExtensions won't become more powerful.

>Throughout the year we’ll expand the set of APIs available, add capabilities to Firefox that don’t yet exist in other browsers, and put more WebExtensions in front of users.
blog.mozilla.org/addons/2016/11/23/add-ons-in-2017/

>They don't want to make webextensions as powerful as bootstrapped extensions anymore.
They just completed the sidebar and toolbar apis and there's lots of bugs open for tracking other api requests.

All this apis are less powerfull than xul/xpcom, and you have no flexibility once there's no specific api for what you want to do.

>:(

I failed trying to move the watch-with-mpv firefox extension to web extensions. Only way to do this is by having the user install some other binary. Disappointing.

>chrome is miles better than the shit firefox has devolved into today
>being this retarded

Palememe is fine. Literally saw no issue, you're just retarded.

So will non-approved addons still be allowed? I never installed the (((coincidence detector))) but it's great that people have the freedom to install any addon they want

How is it in mozilla's interest to make Firefox closer to chrome with each update? It is the customizability of the browser that is maintaining the current userbase, isn't it?