I just traded my (backup) gaming PC for this thing to some guy on craigslist. What the fuck do I do with it?

I just traded my (backup) gaming PC for this thing to some guy on craigslist. What the fuck do I do with it?

4 x e7-4870 Xeon
4 x 1200W PSUs
64GB RAM

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/YEj3gMR-hig?t=1m27s
cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel Xeon E7- 4870 @ 2.40GHz&cpuCount=2
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

become a webdev and host your own websites

I hope you like fans.
And heat.

Compress your whole filesystem with gzip-9.

Start 5chan and host it there.

output a lightweight distro from the vga and be comforted by the fact that you will never run out of threads or power

Install VMware on it

Sell your retarded friends autismcraft servers or website hosting, or a shitty vm for them to experiment with Linux on.

Add more RAM and spend 100 bucks on new caddies for your drives.

Also get a rack, UPS, and networking equipment.

1. get a copy of the manual.
2. I would remove 2 of the CPUs for power
3. make sure your RAM configuration is supported by the remaining 2 CPUs.
4. install your hypervisor of choice (obligatory gentoo)
5. depending on expansion risers install new GPU and do passthrough for new backup gaming PC.
6. Keep an eye out for more cheap RAM
7. run 4534342342352323 VMs.

8. post benchmarks

also, get a 2nd disk

I really want to see gentoo compile time on that think with 4 CPUs vs ryzen 1800x

CPU MSRP $4394.00?? PER??

Back in 2011, sure. Not worth so much, now. They're Westmere.

trade it on craigslist for a new gaming pc once you get your power bill

but it would be a ghost town. why go there if there is nobody there?

Yup, 10 cores @ 2.4 GHz
But they go for like $270 used now though.

I like all of your ideas. 4800 Watts out of the wall will kill my shoddy electrical wiring in my house. Not to mention the electricity bill.

I wasn't aware removing two of the CPU's was an option. I took a look at the manual, but holy shit, it's ACRONYMS galore. It looks like a joke. It reminds me of this video when I'm trying to read it youtu.be/YEj3gMR-hig?t=1m27s

>30,000 passmark

HOLY Shit

cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel Xeon E7- 4870 @ 2.40GHz&cpuCount=2

>Count=2

This thing has FOUR E7-4870's, buddy

Idk, why does lolcow exist.

heat your house
develop software
run lots of VMs with lots of different operating systems and software stacks
explore realms of computing you'd never give a shit about otherwise
learn about the perils of being an impulsive child
trigger bland, autistic dullards who think they're the only person in the world who knows that servers use electricity

compiler's the limit

Stick it in your ass. You're such a massive faggot that it will most likely fit easily.

Install gentoo

She grew into a hot piece of ass. I'd fuck her.

>believing what the picture implies

Start 40chan, an image board for homosexuals and fags

I have much more Dell Server experience than HP but basically all you need to know is that only certain CPU/RAM conifg are usually supported.

with dell it's usually "if you only have 1 CPU you must use slots 1,3,5,7 or with mixed RAM capacities the larger capacity sticks must go in the lower numbers slots". I cna't imagine HP is much different.

It's not bad but the manual is god for servers.

For disk check what HBA is in there, your pic shows SAS but older HBAs sometimes have really low capacities per disk. Once again, not a problem if you read about it before you buy anything.

I'm a little jealous, I had to get rid of my AS400 because it was too loud. :(

That's for the v2, which is an Ivy Bridge-EX product on socket R.

>4800 Watts out of the wall
Does it really draw that much though? Like if you hooked it up to a killowat what would it really show?

So is this the right one?

it shouldn't unless it's under load, but it 4 CPUs are in there you're still not going to get idle very low. The stock fans are probably brutal.

Here's a pic of the inside, in case anyone's curious

build a NAS and store your cartoons on it

Years ago I got a used Dell PE 2850 and I know the fans are loud and it made a okay heater in winter. I thought about getting something bigger than that but I was worried about the power as in would it blow out the wiring or something like that.

Serious question time. What OS should I use?

Windows server 2012 is the only one I've used and I thought it was fine, but I don't really know what's out there.

Debian

Id say gentoo but this looks like a job for vmware esx

No it won't. Remember these systems can be packed full of drives, RAM, and expansion cards. They're also redundant supplies, so ideally the system would never be capable of drawing more than 2.4KW.

OP you probably can't even plug this in, though. It's going to require an L6-30R, or at least and L5-30R.

any idea what it was used for?

I don't see much space for SPI boards. (I would expect the mobo to fill the case

RAM with Rank is always fun. p.45 of the manual confirms suspicion about extremely specific RAM configs.

p.62 explains the expansion board for gap in the case.

not bad, i wonder how serious the RAID is.

I would say Debian or RHEL /KVM but same idea. Stable and mature with good RAID support OOB.

ESXi HCL is a crapshoot but I would be shocked if that thing wasn't supported.

Totally supported. Anything recent by HP, Dell, Lenovo what have you, will be supported unless someone switched internal parts. Mostly I'd look at the SAS/RAID card(s), any networking cards. If it's anything by Broadcom, Intel, Qlogic. LSI etc. it'll work.

Source: I work with these every day.

Ive never used vmware myself but its the hot thing in hosting vms and it probably wouldnt hurt op to get some experience with it. But yeah I do love CentOS KVM.

The guy said he basically used it to create virtual machines. Local systems would boot via LAN and would run the virtual machines created by this server.

Likely. ESXi is free and nice and vSphere is good enough for 90% of tasks (and wayyyyy more responsive than vcenter).

I've told the story a few times on here but I jumped ship on ESXi for home use when I found out nvidia blocks their drivers from being used in vms. Happy with team red RX series for passthrough and happy with KVM being able to hide the fact you're in a VM.

ever since VFIO KVM has been less toy/novelty and more useful... for my use cases.

given your 72GB disk you may need the same setup yourself. NFS is fine for most vmware stuff, don't think you NEED iSCSI unless you're going crazy with the SAN (and you're not for a home build cause even 8 disks is $$$)

welp time to fire up a live USB or boot DVD and see what you can get it to do. enjoy!

You actually delivered! I asked you what your ""battlestation"" was earlier :^)

That's some good gear. Figured it was toss up between HP and DELL.

Is that a PRS?

No, but I wanted a PRS
it's alright

windows server 2016 datacenter and use hyper-v to host one of those trash linux systems if you need it for some god awful reason

Are the cpus inside the inner front compartment?

does that mean I can upgrade that tiny little internal board?

Can I run exactly 1 cpu and 1 psu and a full OS if I wanted? Even if it involves some extreme modification?

I would prefer if I could boot 1 cpu, 2 cpus, 3 cpus, and 4 cpus.

and set it up in a way that it would alter the chosen cpus so that each cpu gets uniformly distributed across its usage with time via a simple algorithm involving rotating numbers.

Or are servers boring? Are they just RUN EVERYTHING AT FULL POWER!! all the time?

I really know nothing about servers.

ha ha

it's probably the easiest, but it seems stunted in potential.

but then again, I know nothing about servers

underrated

Front is indeed where the CPUs are, next to each fan
They can power save
You want your host OS to have access to all of your hardware and pass it through to your hosted VMs. That rotating idea seems dumb.

That long card with all that junk on it seems like some sort of ethernet adapter on the back, im not familiar with these servers

haha

umm, is there a way I can start a single cpu with a single psu and experience no issues?

They make these models in 2 cpu versions, can I downgrade myself to save on power, unless I need more power/VM's?

Why does this thing weigh so fucking much? Jesus, it's like 75 lbs

install gentoo

try pulling out the redundant PSUs and any other large modules before carrying it

does wonders for my 100 lb itanic server

Tripcode generator.

Install Gentoo then shove it up your ass

aren't you feisty tonight

Yes, that page is for a dual setup, passmark would actually be 35,000 I added incorrectly.