Why are phone plans still so fucking expensive?

Why are phone plans still so fucking expensive?

I paid for a month of (severely limited, like wtf 4GB is nothing in 2017) data for pokemon go and other than that I've been using wifi.

If there were any truly unlimited data plans left I could maybe see it, but they're all "UNLIMITED *throttles to 1bit/second after first 2GB"

>Why are phone plans still so fucking expensive?
>If there were any truly unlimited data plans left I could maybe see it, but they're all "UNLIMITED *throttles to 1bit/second after first 2GB"
Boost doesn't have this problem.

How much are you paying?

Is it on a contract? Would be nice to be able to actually contact people while out in places where there's no wifi (rare occasions nowadays)

Let's not forget how uptight they are with tethering when it's all just bytes to them. The "why" is because they can, though, and because the FCC is more or less captured by wireless and ISP lobbyists.

>How much are you paying?
$45

>Is it on a contract?
Nope, it's pre-paid.

This really pisses me off. If they're so afraid of users clogging up the network pipes due to hotspot use they can throttle it to like a max of 4mbps or something.

The 8GB I get is demolished within a week of letting some people use my hotspot for an hour or 2.

I use straight talk as a phone plan. I pay 45 a month for 5 gb high speed data then after that It's 2g or some shit, I don't go over it anyway.

Best part is you can jump on any network and use it as your plan. I use Verizon because most coverage in USA

>5gb of data
I don't see the point in having a data plan if you get this little. That's like what, 5 mins of netflix? Fuqdat lmao

>20€ per month
>unlimited phonecalls, SMS and MMS
>4G
>50GB of data per month

I don’t think it is that expansive, you just have fucked up phone plans

>I use straight talk as a phone plan. I pay 45 a month for 5 gb high speed data then after that It's 2g or some shit, I don't go over it anyway.
So you love burning money? Do you also buy all your water from 711 refrigerated bottles for $1 a piece?

Man too bad you britbongs have that muslim problem over there.

France actually, and our total population of Muslims is below 15% of our total population, and will be below 10% by 2020. Media and politicians just found another toy to play with. I’d say there’s a much bigger issue in the US right now if you’re that concerned with non-white populations.

I should say it depends on what I'm doing each month. In the summer I use all the data, but in school I barely use all of it.

I'm in a 3rd world and my mobile plan is $22 per month unlimited 4G data, around 15-20Mb/s real speed, no cap except torrent limited around 1Mb/s

>Why are phone plans still so fucking expensive?

It's two-part in the US:
>US is xbox hueg compared to euro countries
>FCC has been cucked by telecos

In Europe, a cell phone company has to put up a fraction of the towers that a US one does. Those Euro towers also serve a much higher population density, making them more profitable. This allows them to charge less.

The flipside is that in the US, you get to travel around an area about the size of Europe without paying any roaming charges.

I have an unlimited plan with t-mobile for 35 euro's per month.

I use about 30GB each month.
No real throttling so far, but speeds depend on location and often drop to about 20-30Mbit. (but still >100Mbit in better locations, so I know I'm not just being throttled)

>In Europe, a cell phone company has to put up a fraction of the towers that a US one does.

Except for very rural areas the number of antennas per phone is the same.
In cities you need a 4G antenna about every block, more if the population density is higher and less if the population density is lower.

I wouldn't be surprised if areas with skyscrapers have a 4G antenna for each provider on every single building.

>torrent limited around 1Mb/s

This is why we need net neutrality.

Paying 15 eurodollars for unlimited everything. Cry more americuck

I share a plan with my mom on T-Mobile for $115ish dollars

-2 Phones
-1 phone has no data caps

unlimited data is expensive as fuk but its needed in todays world

>tfw I pay 30$ for unlimited SMS, 50min of call and 100MB
>tfw it's not that bad for Canada
kill me

This is true. It's not just a factor of how big a place is, it's how many people are around too.

That being said, phone plan prices are still fucking ridiculous in most places, and they use horrible business tactics because they know consumers have no other option.

At least in US you can go pay every month at the machine in cash. Other countries you sign your soul away to a 2 year contract, that you can't get out of no matter what. Like, fuck that. Idk what I'm gonna be doing 2 years from now, that's a longer commitment than a lot of small animals.

>total population
niggers are also under 15% yet they manage to drag our crime, IQ, obesity, disease ratings towards the third world. Within major cities, might as well be sweden. Just look at Paris.

>unlimited data is expensive as fuk but its needed in todays world

This right here is why they get away with it. They monopolise it and they know people will pay because in 2017 if you don't have constant unlimited internet access and a phone number you're a fucking nobody.

I'm paying nothing for unlimited data and the newest phone whenever I want.

I'm on straight talk using Verizon towers, only downside is verizon caps the speed at 5mb/s which actually isn't that bad for regular phone use. Costs me $48 and some change with taxes included. 5 gigs a month. Only downside is that I'll have to go to AT&T towers when I get my oneplus tomorrow.

>Except for very rural areas
That's the thing, most of the US is very rural, and our population density is much lower.

The area of the US (minus Alaska) is about 2.87M square miles. The population is 324M. This leads to a population density of 113 people per square mile.
France has an area of 248K square miles, population of 66M. This makes a density of 266 people per square mile.

Cell phone carriers obviously don't cover all of the US, but it still doesn't work in our favor. The population is also less evenly distributed, which means that towers aren't going to be used efficiently, so we need even more towers to service the same amount of subscribers. Farmer joe may live 1/4 mile from his closest neighbor, but he still needs cell service.

If you rarely leave the city, you can usually do just fine with a Sprint or T-Mobile MNVO, which will offer a lot of data for much less.

> if you don't have constant unlimited internet access and a phone number you're a fucking nobody

What on earth are you doing that you *need* unlimited mobile internet? I do just fine on 5 gigs, usually don't come close to maxing it out.

>inb4 watching netflix at work all day

You need like 2GB for pokemon go if you play it like 24/7.

I use my data constantly and as long as I dont accidentally watch videos over data I dont go over 5GB.