Haiku

In light of Vault 7 stuff, would Haiku be the safest OS? It's based on the old BeOS program instead of GNU/Linux.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subpixel_rendering#Patents
haiku-os.org/get-haiku
haiku.osuosl.org/releases/r1alpha4.1/haiku-r1alpha4.1-vmdk.zip
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

There's really no functional browser for it, sadly. And by functional browser I mean firefox or chrome based. There's some functional webkit build that can't render even youtube properly. And literally nodrivers. It's an AMAZINGLY nice and clean feeling OS, however.

I love the icon set of Haiku. RIP neiio

Haiku would be safe as it's not being targeted and most CIA niggers are probably nowhere near as familiar with its code base (or BeOS) as they are with windows and UNIX / UNIX-like OSes (OS X, LiGNUx, BSD etc...). Good luck getting Haiku to work properly on most hardware. YellowTAB Zeta (an enhanced release of BeOS from like 2004) still works better than Haiku on most machines.

This is not to say Haiku won't end up the best operating system on the planet eventually, so long as their devs don't quit. I've been holding out for them since I started having real issues with BeOS / Zeta on modern hardware, and I can't wait to ditch LiGNUx if the Haiku folks ever release something that has great hardware compatibility and is truly production ready.

I see what you mean it can't do video playback at all

Also you'll notice the font rendering looks like shit; this can be VERY easily fixed but it requires violating patent law. You can build it yourself though if you don't distribute it; it's legal as long as it's for personal use and you're not distributing it.

Those patents expired like 3 years ago mate

ah did they? Source?

I was thinking of other patents

It's not until 2019

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subpixel_rendering#Patents

Faggot

can it be run in a VM, to test 1st ?

dude. do not run haiku on the bare metal of your machine. it is only ready for a usb stick or a vm at this point. but yes, it works great on a vm. much better virtualized than off a usb.

thx, will give it a go, never heard of it bfore, but looks interesting !!!

The fact that BeOS was so much better than Windows or anything else out at the time and still failed made me resent this industry.

one more question, do you run version 4, or the dev build ?

for the vm it's more sensible to run the preconfigured virtualbox image they provide.

here: haiku-os.org/get-haiku
here: haiku.osuosl.org/releases/r1alpha4.1/haiku-r1alpha4.1-vmdk.zip

but if you want to try it off usb, the latest builds are preferable. better hardware support.

I'm very tempted to put it on a netbook of mine

i tried using the vmdk but it didn't work, seems to work with the iso file though ...
thx for the tips !

if it's like 4 or 5 years old, or even older, it shouldn't have too many issues.

no probs. it's definitely worth trying out and submitting bug reports when you find them.

should I download the anyboot or raw image?

got it up and running

what are some cool things you use haiku for, just to have an idea?

Web browsing and compiling things with a version of gcc two major releases old

lel

it's good for just testing out the OS itself. it's also neat to run some old BeOS stuff on it, as it's mostly binary compatible. tunetracker runs great on haiku now too.

Literally nobody cares and freetype subpixel rendering is enabled by default ages ago in most distros.

That fat french fuck in charge of the project got wind of Apple money and stopped trying to market the OS.

Then when Apple failed to buy BeOS he had run out of money.

Also many of the companies making software stopped when it because clear that JLG was fucking around. BeOS was to have a NLE and also Cubase but neither made it before the system was cancelled.

I ran Beos 5 for 2 years as my only OS. It was great.

RGBWRGBWRGBW
BWRGBWRGBWRG
RGBWRGBWRGBW
BWRGBWRGBWRG
RGB_RGB_RGB_
_W___W___W__
RGB_RGB_RGB_