/hpg/ - Headphone General

>Headphone purchase advice
pastebin.com/fYZLW7Ub

Please put some effort into your requests and questions.

If you dislike a suggestion, explain why and try giving a better suggestion to whomever asked.

>Sup Forums wiki headphone FAQ:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Headphones

Telegram: t.me/headphone_general

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

ddaudio.com/products/lifestyle/lifestyle_gear/dxb-04-ear-wood-headphones/
motu.com/products/proaudio/ultralite-mk4
amazon.com/eSPORTS-Cronos-Gaming-Headset-HT-CRO008ECBL/dp/B00E38BPJ0/ref=sr_1_1?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1489067519&sr=1-1&keywords=thermaltake headset
people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html
head-fi.org/t/634201/battle-of-the-flagships-58-headphones-compared#user_JH13
amazon.com/gp/product/B014FCNXLQ/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A2ETWV1LQ3OLKC
amazon.com/gp/product/B00HVLUR54/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_11?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A9VBWN1Q1U6E6
amazon.com/gp/product/B00ENMK1DW/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_38?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3FQYQYKQGS7LP
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Can anyone recommend me good pair of 30 or 40 dollar earbuds?

Vsonic GR02 Bass Edition
Xiaomi Piston 3/Hybrids
Tennmak Pro
Carbon Tenore
Soundmagic E10C
Soundmagic E30

>Budget about 50$
>Location Poland, Europe
>Source
>Type of headphone Wireless over ear/ on ear
>Open or closed open
>Comfort level high
>Sound signature idk??
>Past headphones some shitty phone wallpaper

Which of these are the most neutral?

Either GR02 or E30's though I'm not very knowledgable with neutral IEM's. I've heard the Etymotic MK5 is a nice neutral IEM though it's $60 USD

are these worth it?

ddaudio.com/products/lifestyle/lifestyle_gear/dxb-04-ear-wood-headphones/

Ah forgot to say that they must be wireless bluetooth for my phone

>$50
>Bluetooth
You're not getting anything with good sound. Grab a decent pair of headphones with a detachable wire and bluetooth reciever to call it a day.

FiiO E10K or SMSL M3 to drive AKG K712?

>telegram
why, its fuckin awful to use
discord would have at least been kinda usable
irc is best

E10k since its the less worse chinkshit
also more powerful somehow

You told me Sennheiser is the shit so I bought hd 205 and after 4 months of using it started to crackle in my ear, especially if I tilt head.

I'm really happy with my Bluedio R's, non SD card slot version.

They are really comfy and have great sound. They are kind of unique as they have 3 small drivers + a bass driver instead of one big driver for each ear.

Bluedio R comes in an older version with a SD card slot and are Bluetooth 3. I have the non-SD card version which has the CSR8645 chip (probably why there is no SD card slot, it doesn't support it). This version supports Bluetooth 4 and apt-X and AAC (better sound) and it also does USB Audio (shows up as a USB sound card when you connect it to a phone or computer using USB).

So I bought a dac in place of my motherboard audio

I thought I wouldn't, but I can notice a significant difference in quality.

A dac+amp?

We tend to be able to sense below 20 Hz but our upper range is limited and 20 KHz is a generous estimate. 20-20000 Hz is a decent rough bandwidth.

By age our hearing sensitivity and extension drops. I'm 25 and can hear somewhere around 18 KHz fine but nothing above this point. With music the very highest frequencies are of little use even if you can hear them individually as they are generally masked away by content in lower, more sensitive range of hearing.

High Resolution Audio bears no audible benefit due to the format itself. The only thing which could remotely be of use would be the possibility to use low pass filters in the DA-converter which would lie outside of the audible band while safely cutting the bands before Nyquist.

Why bother with Hi-Res? The only sensible reason that comes to mind is if music you like is only released in that format or if a specific master of a song is only available in it.

The question of being better isn't always a relative one. Not all electronics are made equal, your hearing is a bad way to tell unless the problem is very obvious.

Yeah

Are these good for the price?

well, they will make you feel invincible..

HD600 masterrace :)

Nice Magni.

Didn't know the dac. Interesting device.
motu.com/products/proaudio/ultralite-mk4

>Budget
30-50€

>Location
Germany

>Source
Computer; Windows

>Type of headphone
full-sized

>Open or closed
closed

>Comfort level
comfort < quality

>Sound signature
don't care

>Past headphones
idk but Amazon says they're Thermaltake HT-CRO008ECBL Cronos
[ amazon.com/eSPORTS-Cronos-Gaming-Headset-HT-CRO008ECBL/dp/B00E38BPJ0/ref=sr_1_1?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1489067519&sr=1-1&keywords=thermaltake headset ]

I bought it because it uses a web page for editing, kind of like a router.

I haven't got it to work with linux yet which kinda bums me out

I know people here don't tend to recommend noise cancellation over noise isolation, but which one would be the best solution to cut the noise of my neighbor at my office?

He's a mouth breather (the kind that snores as he breath and have a deeply nasal voice) and tend to make mastication noise as he eats snacks.

>anime op

It's apparently standard USB audio, so it should just work with Linux's support.

I use that with my modi2u, and it's fine.

So I bought $1000 cables in place of stock ones.
I thought I wouldn't, but I can notice a significant difference in quality.

facedesk.

Motherboards having poorly isolated DACs where you can hear graphics or disk i/o is not that uncommon.

Sure but what was the problem here? Or the difference?

Here's some more.

Anyone has Vsonic VSD3/VSD3S? Should I buy?

>Motherboards having poorly isolated DACs where you can hear graphics or disk i/o is not that uncommon.

This hasn't been the case except for perhaps the cheapest motherboards(?) for years and years.

I do remember this from back in the days when I had a AMD Athlon CPU.

>Sure but what was the problem here?
Back in the day.. it really did make the motherboards sound card worthless. If you're listening to music and you copy some big file from one drive to another and noise from that is audible then you're going to get annoyed.

These days this is a non-issue. Most motherboards are well isolated, but some more than others. And cheap motherboard DACs that are standard, like Realtek 1150, are very good.

Too many motherboards are lacking in the AMP department, so getting an external AMP for a pair of headphones makes sense. If your receiver / stereo can't drive your headphones then it's extremely unlikely that your motherboard can.

All this is becoming a bit irrelevant, though. I connect my Bluedio R's with either bluetooth or USB and I'm guessing that will be the norm not too far into the future.

I'm waiting for some snake oil sales man to twig on that idiots will buy a "bluetooth amp" without realising it's gonna do basically nothing.

My computer isn't that old but plugging it in directly sounds worse than my iPod.

I don't know if you can say DACs don't work if you never actually tried it. You can be skeptical all you want but to claim you know when you cannot possibly know is a bit arrogant.

I have just switched MY Sony MDR7506 velour pads for leather pads and I noticed an improved sound isolation from the get go.
Are the standard velour pad really bad or am I being memed?

Hello /hpg/

Can you recommend me a good set of bass biased, closed back around-the-ear, corded (no wireless) passive noise cancelling headphones. They should be super comfy and portable (capable of folding not necessarily small I understand how big around the ear phones can be.) Biggest importance is the noise cancelling factor, no batteries, and comfort. Going to be wearing these for hours a day every day.

Open to earbuds too if they cancel well or better than a comparable around ear.

Budget for headphones is around 300 budget for earbuds is 100 or lower.

Are Beyer Dynamic DT880 at 32 ohms Sup Forums approved?

Shure 215. People say the isolation is amazing with a bass heavy sound signature

>32 ohms
Do not do this to yourself
Most modern phones can drive the 250 ohms

>I noticed more isolation when I switched from pads that allow air to move more freely to pads that restrict airflow
Whoa, you don't say.

Glad I asked. I think I'll go for the 250.

>Most modern phones can drive the 250 ohms

what

how shit is my phone if it can barely drive my 32 ohm Meze's? in fact, even for earbuds I have to crank the volume to max to get it loud

>Sup Forums approved
Come again? It's a more sensitive DT880. Good for low powered sources.

Reconsider. Why take the lower sensitivity option?

Driving "ohms" isn't a thing. You don't need to know your headphone's impedance so just ignore it.

>in fact, even for earbuds I have to crank the volume to max to get it loud
Truly sounds like a very weak source. What phone?

>What phone?
Xperia Z5 Compact, but it was the case with my iPhone 5 and 5s as well

>Z5 Compact
I have the same one as work phone. Rough estimate 0.5 Vrms on the output so it's on the lower side even for mobile phones. Certainly wasn't enough for ER-4S.

Thanks they look good, any alternatives? Like to do a bit of comparison. Is Etymotic any good? I have a pair of plugs from them and see they make higher end buds too.

Not a single downright bassy Etymotic available but they are extremely good in-ears if you ask me. Highest isolation and more or less neutral sound. The ER-4XR is the only one with some bass boost, pic related.

give it to me straight, /hpg/. do DACs matter?

Here is the SE215 for comparison. It's extremely bassy.

Like all gear before the headphones, not at all past a certain point. It's a solved problem in audio reproduction. The reason for getting a better DAC rarely lies in upgrading its audio performance.

>The reason for getting a better DAC rarely lies in upgrading its audio performance.

I don't get this, isn't that what they're supposed to be for? I've seen people talk about instrument separation as a big thing with DACs, for example

By driving "the 250 ohms" I was implying "the 250 ohm dt880s".
Even the old ass galaxy note 2 could get them to 80% of what I consider maximum listening volume.

so my k612 broke (again). what should i replace them with
are the k712 better quality?

>isn't that what they're supposed to be for?
Can be. The point of a DAC lies in the name. In audio it's a necessary device to play back any digital files. Aside from doing its job we want them to perform well, too.

It's an easy goal to achieve, has been for quite some time when we only have to worry about the audio band. A dollar or two gives you a chip capable of achieving transparency while doing much more than simple stereo DA-conversion. Building a device around that chip adds to the cost but this truly is an affordable piece of gear regardless.

I often wonder where did this audiophile dogma originate from where DA-converter is seen as some sort of key element in your signal path or device chain as far as audio quality is concerned. It's such a non-issue and something you just forget performance wise once you get a working one.

Aside from the sake of delusions why would you buy a discrete device that does DA-conversion? The most common reason would probably be to overcome the limitations of the device currently operating as a DAC. Basic things like I/O options or features are a pretty obvious selling point. Sometimes electronics, especially those with embedded audio circuitry(motherboards, mobile phones), can have problems with interference. By getting another device to handle the audio signals only you often bypass the problems. Perhaps someone wants just a peace of mind that they will never have to worry about incompetent devices in the future? Or a device to add to the listening room's audio altar? Respect in /bst/?

>I've seen people talk about instrument separation as a big thing with DACs, for example
That's the kind of nonsense that goes around in audiophile circles. Nothing a DAC does alters the mechanisms by which we locate sound.

That's a very subjective target.

Hama AH-100

Are these decent for 5$ or should I invest some more for proper PC headphones?

Beyer DT770 Pro 80Ohm. Yes or No?
Coming from AKG K550, I like them but they are a bit too flat/neutral. I like the "bathtub sound".

Yes

Hard to say how the K550s perform on your head. They should have quite strong bass if they seal well but quite often they don't leading them to sound anemic. DT770s kind of do what they try to do but much more consistently. If you like their kind of V-shape, they are great headphones.

Some Sup Forumsnon was saying that we can only hear from 20hz to 20khz.
So why even bother with hi-res music.
Is hi-res music just a meme to milk more shekels?

Answered Additionally, read people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

My Go-To for 10 years has been the DT-770, 80 ohm, and I've bought scads of others to try and beat them. Recently I took this articles' suggestion and tried a Sennheiser HD 600 - remarkable sound, and almost a champ against 'ol reliable, but they're open back and let in noise. THE BEST portable headphones for sport use, IMO, are ancient Sony MDR-A35's, NOT THEIR REPLACEMENT the MDR-A35G, which Sony should be ashamed of. THE BEST SOUNDING PORTABLE HEADPHONES (not for sport use) are ATH-M50x. OldFag here, been jammin' Cans for years, you lucky fukkers are living in the best time ever for audio. Check out this guys opinions, too: head-fi.org/t/634201/battle-of-the-flagships-58-headphones-compared#user_JH13

I got my 598se today and anime songs sound like shit on it but stuff like classical is nice. I was meemed.

What headphone under $200 is good for anime music. And no opened back please I don't want my mom hearing the screams of a 14 year old cartoon girl being penetrated by a nasa rocket.

Yeah, they have sealing issues on my big fucking head. This is kind of annoying because they sound different depending on how I lean my head forward or backwards. I nearly alway put on an equalizer to get more of a V-shaped sound. I really like the comfort these cans offer. No problem wearing them for hours.
Thx for your opinion.

ok whatever, i'll just get the k712

If you like how those sound on their best, DT770 might be a great choice to replace them.

did not mean to quote

You Obviously own nothing Hi-Res, please keep your misinformed opinions to yourself. Aside from the 130 dB noise floor, lack of quanitization artifacts, and superior channel separation, Hi-Res media, generally, has been remixed from masters to avoid CD's downfalls. When you get the opportunity to listen, in-depth, to SACD or even TIDAL, and can A/B it with CD or (God Forbid!) Vinyl, you'll appreciate just how Good the times are!

The only downside is they're gonna make you regret ever getting the 612s in the first place.

i can live with that

Is the chinese stuff good?
amazon.com/gp/product/B014FCNXLQ/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A2ETWV1LQ3OLKC

PS - the biggest issue I have w/the HD 600s is that the phones were $250. The balanced cable to connect them to 4-pin XLR was F'n $300!!!

>buying a $300 cable

Are there any that use metal? Or at the very least reinforces their plastic with a rigid mesh or something? I'm sick and tired of having earpieces break off because they're attached to the headband via plastic.

Preferably closed and under $150, but it wouldn't surprise me if that doesn't exist.

>that class a monstrosity
HISSSSSS

Too bad as it looks so good.

Is the Aune X1S good? any owners here?

Can anyone recommend me the me to the best headphones around 100 to 150? I can go up to 200 if the 50 bucks is worth it.

I currently have a kingston hyperx cloud 2 gayaiming headphones so I am looking for something that is a step up from that.

DT 770 80 Ohm are pretty much a direct upgrade from clouds

Audio-Technica ATH-M40x, will sound a lot better than the clouds or Philips SHP9500 if you want to try something different.

amazon.com/gp/product/B00HVLUR54/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_11?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A9VBWN1Q1U6E6

amazon.com/gp/product/B00ENMK1DW/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_38?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3FQYQYKQGS7LP

How'd the K612 break?

cable broke

ATH IM50 or Sennheiser momentum 2 IEG any good? Need to upgrade from E10s, shit cable jacket ripped.

You are aware that you can easily repair your K612, correct? Even if the cable is totally destroyed, a 4-conductor cable is only a few bucks.

(Unless, that is, you're actully using your broken K612 as a reason/means to upgrade)

the k612 only has 3 conductors, and i see no visible damage on them, so i'm not sure what's broken. don't know where to find a cable that'll fit either

E30's, but they fit like shit with provided tips.

Then fix the cable, lol

Currently have a philips fidelio L2. Thinking of getting a fidelio X2 as an upgrade. Are they different enough to warrant a purchase or no?

ok i'll try to fix it, i've no idea what i'm doing though

Twist the wires together and then wrap it with a tiny bit of electrical tape. Then twist the shield wires around the electrical tape andthen wrap it with more electrical tape

Whenever I play vidya, I tend to hear a light buzzing in the background through my headphones. It occurs when I'm plugged into my tower, but goes away when I'm connected to my monitor instead. I've read that it might have something to do with my gpu and psu causing the disturbance during gameplay, something about contaminated grounds.

My question is if I was to buy a cheap $5 usb sound card with headphone+mic jacks, would that also get rid of the interference as if I was plugging into my monitor?

Oh man, what could it be?

>massdrop

didn't know massdrop sold dildos

Consumerist Bullshit?

Knowing massdrops shipping, probably something that was being sold 4 months ago

>massdrop doing bad dragon group buys and one offs
What a time to be alive.

Let's take a peek.

Lol not on this drop but on other when I've complained about shitty shipping logistics and shitty "discounts" compared to say, amazon prime, people just attack me.

do you even get to return shit you bought from massdrop?

I've only bought a few things from them and never had to return anything so honestly I'm not sure.

i have no idea what you just said

Ayyy, those bumps....

Holy shit this thing weighs like nothing.