Hacking Challenge For Linux Experts

What up?! I made a thread yesterday about an interesting challenge from the german intelligence agency but Sup Forums wasn't that interested and focused on consumerism instead.

For the challenge you must run a bare debian linux image in a VM.

bnd.bund.de/DE/Karriere/Forensik_Challenge/Forensik_Challenge_node.html

Some agency from an allied country asks the BND to check an incident. The server of some state insurancy company got hacked. They supply an image of the server.
You have to analyze the image. The hackers left traces on the system (files) and you have to figure out how to get root access. LUCKILY the hackers somehow created a low level user (hacker:abcd1234).

Image can be found here:

download.gsb.bund.de/BND/ZIP_Challenge.zip (754 MB - .vmdk)

Hints are that there is a web application involved and this is most likely the attack vector.

What i have found so far:

>a /html/ folder contains a .php with a script that lets potential attackers use ReadFile ... this is most likely the vulnerability that allowed the hackers to change the root password/gain access to the system
>"www-data" seems to be the root's username. I can't find the password to it though.

Questions you have to answer:

>How did the attackers gain access to the system (keep in mind they had no access to the terminal)
>How were they able to get root access
>What data (incl content) did the hackers leave behind and where?

The challenge is for people with masters degrees in computer science.

Can Sup Forums figure it out?!!

>The challenge is for people with masters degrees in computer science.

physical access, rootkit
social engineering, mitm attack, malware
dirty cow exploit

It's probs a web rce -> shell -> priv ESC like dirty cow

I don't speak German.

no social engineering involved. The exploit obviously came through the website hosted on the server and the .php

you don't have to. The .vmdk is a normal debian linux image.

The downside is that you'll have to work in Berlin, the Hipster capital of Europe.

true but i dont want to work there. Pay is really bad for actual experts in that field i guess. I am not even an expert i just think its a fun and interesting challenge and it can't be that hard to solve it.

Starting is 5k before taxes which is like 60k a year. All salaries and levels are public. I think you can reach over 100k but thats going to take you 20 years or so.

They probably recruit awkward meme patriots or something - or people use it as a platform to get into actual high paying jobs.

You also get job security and a decent pension.
Once you reach public servant status, they virtually can't fire you, as long as you show up for work.

truuuuuuu

>The challenge is for people with masters degrees in computer science.

computer science is about computation, not becoming the hackerman

pretty awkward that this board can't figure this out tbqh.

I guess the memes are true and i have confirmed it for myself. Sup Forums is a consumer oriented board for linux users that want to rice their desktops and then shitpost about how pajeets are stealing their jobs. Sounds like Sup Forums just for tech.

Most of Sup Forums are successful, white businessmen with big degrees in business.

and engineers, scientists and scholars and don't forget the 9" cocks, trucks, ex - military, defense contractors, beautiful aryan wife and 3 children with blonde hairs and blue eyes

similiar to how Sup Forums only uses free software, is smarter than the CIA, doesnt need a degree to write the best code in the industry and is an expert of every linux distro

My favorite Sup Forums archetype is the C programmer who never makes mistakes (safe languages are for babbies).

>Sup Forums codes close to the metal but can't navigate with the CLI through a linux filesystem

yaaaaaaaaaaas

Outsourcing your homework to /g is pathetic

this isnt homework .. did you read the post?

>close to mental

Yeah I love that guy too, the hubris is delicious

Hopefully pajeets and changs can get it first then

love how they LARP this hard at the worst NEET day time in the history of mankind

No one cares about you or your employer's challenge, Fritz.