Coreboot/Libreboot on AMD has ‘CEO Level Attention’

reddit.com/r/privacy/comments/5xvoe6/update_corebootlibreboot_on_amd_has_ceo_level/

Holy shit it worked

> inb4 he is lying
he might be but we do not know
> inb4 leddit

pic unrelated

inb4 Lisa dies in a mysterious car accident

I wonder how much nvidia and intel dick Sup Forumsedditors will continue to take.

This'll secure up to seven new sales. Impressive. Sad that another seven million gamers will have bought Intel during that time period, but still, baby steps.

Gaymers are worthless sheep

>gaymen audience

they're never something to care about.

Did ryzen have bad gaming results?
Then again if are gaming then you are using windows so GTFO off this thread.
You do not care about privacy.
This thread has nothing to do with you.

The only way I could see this not happening, is if the NSA backed a shipping container full of cash up to their doors and said "plz AMD, PLZ!"

Make a case for corporate security, and business machines and laptops, and it's almost a sure thing.

Gaymers have also stabbed AMD in the back so many times when it comes to sales I don't know why they bother.

Focus entirely on business machines and scientific computing and 3d rendering.

Fuck these gaymer kids.

Open sourcing isn't likely I think, the security co-processor may require proprietary IP which would make it illegal to open source. The best option we can hope for is AMD allowing the security co-processor to be disabled completely.

Why do you even care, just block any fishy outgoing connections on the router level, you do have pfsense installed, right?

Many of us, user have real jobs and use laptops, and many of us would prefer having a librebooted/corebooted one.

Also many CPUs use mobile networks to transfer data.

Nobody's stopping you from using your home wifi going through your router.
I'm sorry you don't work somewhere where you're given a company computer which you don't care what happens to, but that's your problem.

The only AMD CPU competing with intel's top of the line gaming CPU 7700k is the 1800x but thats like $200 more and even then it actually performs worse

also i run win10 in a vm exclusively and use pcie passthrough for video games, its not hard and youre not exposing windows to anything relevant

I don't think AMD's security co-processor even has a broadband modem integrated in the first place. The main concern here is having a second processor that has more privileges than the primary processor. The end user should be the one to decide what goes on in their computer not the manufacturer. It's a security risk, imagine if there's a flaw discovered in the second processor that allows any software to arbitrarily elevate their privileges above even the primary CPU's privileges. The primary CPU could be unable to even detect malicious software written for that. That's a huge concern when you're trying to protect trade secrets and other important information.

>The only AMD CPU competing with intel's top of the line gaming CPU 7700k is the 1800x but thats like $200 more and even then it actually performs worse

Well that's sad
Also I didn't even know you could notice the difference at some point

>also i run win10 in a vm exclusively and use pcie passthrough for video games, its not hard and youre not exposing windows to anything relevant

I like you user...

the difference is minor, give or take a few fps
it DOES perform a lot better with games that properly take advantage of multiple cores though

but until thats widespread theres no reason to spend $200 more to get the same performance if youre just playing video games

all of it

or manufacturer chips without it. there's no way they put it on it without an nsa bribe

>we'll look into it
Wow, it's fucking nothing.

That's about the best you can expect with something like this. This isn't really something they can just decide to do on a whim because the security co-processor is third party IP and the software it relies on may not be free to distribute. I don't really expect AMD to open source it but disabling it is possible.

you know what is suprising ?
intel and apple having the same exploit on their cpus despite being a totally different uarch and you can use the same exploit to gain access on both platforms

call me aslr

things like that is good to be out there to remind us that certain bugs are in place by desing

>Sad that another seven million gamers will have bought Intel during that time period,

And seventeen million gamers bought AMD powered consoles during that same time period.

reddit is so fucking gay

>Did ryzen have bad gaming results?

It got better results than the Extreme line cpus (that have 6-12 cores and lower clocks), but worse than the 4 core 7700k that runs at 4.5GHz.

There's also an SMT bug in Win10 that affects apps that do not push all cores equally (so basically, games).

Someone disabled half the cores and SMT to make the cpu only have 4 native cores, and overclocked it to same speed as the 7700k, and then it performed the same in games.

That's possible but it would require a whole new die without the specific part included. They could laser cut it off like they do with cores during binning.

Other than that I think it's likely there's a disable bit somewhere to shut it off it just needs a microcode patch maybe. Intel and AMD are probably really paranoid about product defects so I bet they use disable bits very generously.

Good. I'll buy AMD next.

>Libreboot
drama queen software...

AMD was one of the main contributors to Coreboot
Taking the next step and going full freedom to secure more server sales is reasonable