Scotland thread

Post all things Scottish and ask me anything.

Glaswegian here.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=le_uNGdpa4c
youtube.com/watch?v=qthHlLyvplg
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irish-Scots
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Statutes_of_Iona.
youtube.com/watch?v=fOX-pXTRsWA
youtube.com/watch?v=7dEKQL0I4LU
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Can you translate this

I understand all of that perfectly unfortunately :(

only thing I know about scotland is that it is shit

Glasgow is shit Edinburgh is better
t. Visited both towns

Why do you appropriate English culture such as the kilt and drinking yourself into rage?

It's white so it's automatically better than your country

''..honestly, you know what,what's the point'' that's all for me

r u greek

do you like boards of canada?
youtube.com/watch?v=qthHlLyvplg

Lmfao very true

Gay shit

Your thoughts on Willy Wallace

5 different opinions

Great guy

>tfw no freckled Scottish gf

Fellow glaswegian here, can fact check for this cunt.

Not even the worst I've heard

Depends what you want out of each city. Glasgow is better for students, Edinburgh is better for tourists.

All round decent guy

You don't normally get nice looking ones with freckles, but I don't like gingers so maybe that's just me

You should have quit tbf

What went wrong, /alba/?

Ive lived in glasgow all my life and if you talk to some people i cant understand a word theyre that theyre saying

That said that video is perfectly audible except for one or two slang words like grow ears cockroach

Will one of you marry me?

Yup

That's not Glasgow, I mean it could be theoretically but it's nowhere I've been.

Okay, I'm serious btw

Is this Russia, or Scotland?

scotland

The Irish, essentially

Without the Irish there'd be almost no-one here, we should be thanking them for abandoning their country desu

Its the Irish colony of Glasgow

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irish-Scots

It used to be a nice enough town before it was ruined by fenian immigrants

I'd rather there was nobody in Glasgow, and Scumdee for that matter.

Our GDP would be like Switzerland if Edinburgh and Aberdeen were the only cities in the country.

Wait, do the Scots have nothing but disdain for the Irish?

That would be our GDP per capita I assume, the Irish haven't dented the economy

It's quite hard to hate them when a lot of Scots have Irish heritage, if they are hated it is in the same vein as the English but not as strong

Depends if you talk to a Catholic or a Protestant

A Catholic is most likely the descendant of Irish immigrants, a republican and supporter of Scottish separatism.

A true Scotsman is always a Presbyterian and an ardent defender of the crown and union.

Thank for the insight

When you say defender of the Crown, you mean the Scottish crown, right? I'd be fucking shocked if you were implying the English crown

The English Crown and the Scottish Crown are the same thing you mug. They were united by King James VI of Scotland in 1603 when Elizabeth I of England died without an heir.

>not knowing this

To illustrate, pic related is the Royal Standard as flown in Scotland. In England it flies with two red lion quadrants.

fuck

The Scottish and English crown have been the same thing for the past 400 years lad.

It's the union of parliaments that half the cunts here don't like. The monarchy is extremely popular here.

Is Glesga still a decent night out? (Haven't been for a few years)

What's the consensus on your looking after our nukes?

Do you differentiate between Englishmen (i.e Londoners, Southerners, Mancs, Scousers, Geordies, Yorkshiremen) or are we all bastards in your eyes?

why are you so poor
why can't you speak proper english

We're poor? News to me lad.

>why can't you speak proper english
Scots is actually a purer form of English. We weren't conquered by the Normans hence we speak a more Germanic form of the language than they speak down south.

>why can't you speak proper english
You could say this about anywhere other than the South-East desu

What's going on in Shetland

Excuse my ignorance gents, it would seem I need a brush up

>Is Glesga still a decent night out?
I'd say so, but I'm a cheap fuck so I drink before I get to the club or bar.

>What's the consensus on your looking after our nukes?
Never know when the Argies are going to strike again.

>Do you differentiate between Englishmen
I'd say we can differentiate but you're all as cunty as each other.

>proper English
This isn't spoken anywhere in the UK generally

Do u like irn bruh?

Ponies brah

North sea oil.

I drink about two or three cans a day, but that's way above average

>Is Glesga still a decent night out?
Its certainly still a shitehole

>What's the consensus on your looking after our nukes?
;)

>Do you differentiate between Englishmen
Prefer southern patter. Don't dislike any of you though. Only people in Scotland that genuinely dislike the English are fenians.

This and nothing else

What's the deal with the highlands? are they culturally different from the rest of scotland?

I once bought one when I saw them in Iceland(the shop), tasted like bubblegum

It's less of a highland-lowland divide and more of a city-rural divide in terms of differences. Scotland has historically had large rich estates and the poor people lived in the cities, which leads to the cultural difference. It's not a major difference though. It's the northern islands like Orkney and Shetland that are more culturally different as they still have old Norwegian/Danish elements rooted in how they live.

Everyone always says that it tastes like bubblegum, but it just doesn't - the same company that makes Irn Bru sells a bubblegum flavoured drink as well. I couldn't really put a word on how it tastes myself though.

Is everybody in Iceland seriously hench or is that just a myth?

Also, does anybody there think that whale killing festival cruel or is it just a vital component of your livelihood?

Historically the Highlands were Gaelic speaking and the Lowlands Anglo.

Caused a lot of issues after the reformation as most of the Highlanders remained Catholic while the Lowlanders became zealous calvinists. The Highlanders didn't even call themselves "Scots", and Scots (Anglo Lowlanders) referred to them as "Erse" (Irish).

Scottish Monarchy instituted various penal laws in order to stamp out Highland Gaelic culture and establish Scots hegemony over the Highlands, such as this en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Statutes_of_Iona.

A ton of shit happens in the 17th century resulting in the union of crowns in 1707. British parliament then carries on the fight against the Highlanders (who, confusingly, are fighting for the restoration of the same royal house that cucked them, because they are now catholic) until 1745 when the last Jacobite revolt is crushed. Highland estates are then cleared by landowners and most of the tenants move to the Lowlands or to the New World. Such was the fate of the Gaels.

Social dynamics of Scotland are extremely complicated. This doesn't even touch on the Ulster-Scots and Irish migration during the 19th century.

Whale killing festival

Wat

He's thinking of the Faroes.

I was in Iceland in February. Nice country lad. Laffed at the sign for the penis museum in the middle of Reykjavik.

>union of crowns in 1707
meant union of parliaments

He's right, I was thinking Faroes

Sorry lid.

What /10 is/was Bjork in Iceland?

I though she was kind of cute in a stick and run for your life kind of way.

bumping to give sleepy scots time to wake up, it's already light you shits

Get tae fuck ya shite.

you fuck off, i'm basically doing a national service here

With the insinuation that any true Scot would

a) be awake the noo

b) would be fannying on a fucking mongolian pottery forum

ya bas ya

>literally using "no true scotsman" in your argument
i'm the fucking bas, aye fucking right

Where the fuck are you anyway?

glasgow lad, where are you at

Manchester

Fenian or Hun?

watch out for those mozzies lad

i'm from edinburgh but hibees have to go fenian

Actually in a mozzie free area... Didn't you have a mozzie civil scirmish recently?

>Hibs

Fuck, I kept track of your match last night. Ya boys were cruising then they fucked it up in the dying strides.

Favourite scene from Trainspotting?

It was islam on islam, but they're generally pretty cool around here and actually try and integrate into the community instead of hiding in their mosques

mostly because the mosques tend to get firebombed but that's another issue

>hibs
just fuck my entire life up senpai

>trainspotting
rather embarrassing but never seen it desu

Tbf, the muzzies I meet in Scotland have been completely sound and have interesting accents.

Other than Braveheart (which is utter shite from a historical perspective), I don't think I've seen any other film with Scottish cultural relevance... Apart from The Wicker Man which is BASED.

I've supported Man City all my life and was following them with my dad when they were at their shittest. Even went to Wembley in '99 to watch them in the 3rd tier play-off final. These days, it isn't even my club any more. It's turned into everything I hate about Man Utd.

But you can't change your club can ya?

Rather be a Hibs fan than a Citteh fan tbqh

UK in or out?
EU in or out?

youtube.com/watch?v=fOX-pXTRsWA

:^)

my english club is spurs, choking is my entire life and i'm used to it now

and it's sad to see your club leave its roots but if success comes its easier to just try and enjoy it rather than focus on the downsides

>UK in or out?
Voted out, but I don't agree with the SNP's vision on an independent Scotland. I'm banking on the SNP breaking up post-independence and Scotland will finally see that we're all economically conservative on the inside.

>EU in or out?
I don't know. Probably going to spoil my vote. Head says out but heart says in. Can't wait for all the countries to try and bribe us with Eurovision votes tonight though to keep us in, but if we finish last I'm voting out desu.

I like the part with the dead baby.

youtube.com/watch?v=7dEKQL0I4LU
I can barely understand this show. I've noticed on a Karl Pilkington show they subtitled black americans. Can you guy understand black americans well?

Perfectly understandable. And I watch a lot of NBA, so I might be predisposed to it, but I can understand anything said by the players, some of which are illiterate black people. I heard that black culture and ebonics was actually inspired by the Scottish culture colonists brought to the south, so it's an interesting parallel.

>spuds

I was there when it kicked off at Maine Road in a quarter final in the early mid nineties. Never had anything against them but they were our bogey team for a while. Don't think I have a Scottish team... Used to be Celtic for the politics (I think Ireland should be united - even though my dad served in Norn Iron) but I've grown out of caring either way. I did get injured by a copper during the Rangers riot in Manchester in '08 so maybe I have an affinity with them? Fuck knows.

> its easier to just try and enjoy it rather than focus on the downsides

It's the secret of life I guess... Ignorance is bliss. At my core, I'm a sentimental monogamist so it's difficult to see my club with a bunch of bandwaggoning cocks in its mouth.

>UK
I'm also out because Westminster will never act in your interests. It barely acts in the interests of anywhere north of Watford.

>EU
In because we'd be eaten alive by China, India and the US without the EU

I liked Renton's "It's Shit being Scottish... Colonized by wankers" soliloquy.

I know that when black people say axe instead of ask its from somewhere in the uk

>I was there when it kicked off at Maine Road in a quarter final in the early mid nineties
unfortunately my family was too busy to take me to games and my friends supported other clubs, so I've not even been to many Hibs games. since I've moved out I've been to a lot of games and some in london too so I'm catching up at least

>Westminster barely acts in the interests of anywhere north of Watford
true, but remaining in the union is smart for the same reason as you suggest for europe.

the ideal situation for the uk domestically, in my opinion, would be a federalised uk (with england split into several regions so that an english parliament wouldn't be overbearing), but no one would vote for this.

and if the EU is going to continue with federalisation, it needs to become more democratic and accountable to the people of europe. that is my one concern with remaining within the eu.

Can't say I hear that too often but missing out letters is something that happens, don't think I've ever heard a scot pronounce the t in water