Let's finish the Hurd kernel

I'm serious you guys. Fuck Linux. Let's make Hurd good.
gnu.org/software/hurd/
gnu.org/software/hurd/contributing.html

Other urls found in this thread:

people.debian.org/~sthibault/hurd-i386/debian-hurd.img.tar.gz
fsfla.org/ikiwiki/selibre/linux-libre/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Yeah but the code style

i dont care
and you dont either

Why? It's DOA

>hurd dur hurd dur finiz this crap

>Yeah but the code style
If you set up your workflow correctly, you can code with whatever style you want and have it automatically reformat to the GNU style when it commits changes

Let's do it OP. I'll get started on the logo

looooool

What's the point?

Like what does it offer over the normal Linux kernel?

Honestly if you want, I'm fine with actually forking the project and we can do whatever we want with it. I'm fine with the logo changing, so go for it.

>not using L4
Hurd seems ill-conceived from the start.

If you wanna do OS development, Redox is a much more modern, promising and interesting project tbqh.

If you wanna pick up a dormant OS project, pick up Bitrig.

Ganoo+Turd har literally no appeal whatsoever, it was started by clueless neckbeards who had no idea how to even start making an OS but were massive commie hipsters and wanted to "make a difference!!!1"

>falling for the "communism is bad" meme
fuck off back to Sup Forums

>it was started by clueless neckbeards who had no idea how to even start making an OS but were massive commie hipsters and wanted to "make a difference!!!1"
You have no idea what you are talking about.

The expression “the Linux kernel” can easily be misunderstood as meaning “the kernel of Linux” and implying that Linux must be more than a kernel. You can avoid the possibility of this misunderstanding by saying or writing “the kernel, Linux” or “Linux, the kernel”.

My parents lived in communism, they weren't too excited about it.

More like,Turd. Get out of here with this trash.

Butthurt pole detected.

>$CurrentYear$
>Caring about Ganoo/Turd

kek, get a life loser.

I'd prefer someone to work on McCLIM instead.

This is a very brief guide to get your development environment set up. Pester ArneBab @ irc.freenode.net on IRC if something does not work :) (open issue documentation)

Install qemu-kvm via your distros packages.
Download the qemu image: wget people.debian.org/~sthibault/hurd-i386/debian-hurd.img.tar.gz
Unpack it: tar xf debian-hurd.img.tar.gz
Run it: qemu-kvm -m 512 -drive cache=writeback,file=debian-hurd.img # Optionally use --curses to keep your keyboard layout. If need be modprobe kvm_amd, kvm intel and kvm to get kvm support (which is much, much faster). See also: kvm FAQ.
login as root
apt-get update
apt-get install -y git mercurial emacs vim
apt-get build-dep -y hurd gnumach
git clone git://git.sv.gnu.org/hurd/hurd.git
git clone git://git.sv.gnu.org/hurd/gnumach.git
git clone git://git.sv.gnu.org/hurd/incubator.git
Get more from the repo list.
Read the docs on these pages.
Start hacking.
For shutting down, use reboot, then press c in grub and issue halt (to avoid filesystem corruption). Adding --no-reboot to the qemu line should help, too.

Stallman would be OK if we just finish his job?

As much as I respect our lord RMS, I don't think I would let his opinion get in the way of this. However, I also think that Richard would be fine with other people forking his project and making changes as long as those changes were made available to the public under a compatible software license.

You also have to figure that he is getting older and doesn't appear to be in great health. I don't know how much longer we can expect him to carry the torch. Someone else needs to rise up to the challenge and take his place.

no
let's write an exokernel-based operating system instead

AFAIK HURD was never "Stallman's project," it's just managed under the FSF umbrella. I'm sure the HURD developers would accept patches if they were good.

Good luck ever getting close to the supported hardware Linux has. Just use Linux, just about everything works out of the box now.

Just use Linux-libre fsfla.org/ikiwiki/selibre/linux-libre/

I don't use all the supported hardware Linux has. Why should I give a shit?

>technical superiority
I want to believe, but then I always remember things like memory overcommit and can't help but wonder how the fuck that came to pass

These Linux shit posts kill me

Memory overcommit is fine. It's the correct solution to the problem of sloppy userspace programs over-allocating memory.

Tfw qemu-kvm isn't in Arch Linux repositories including the AUR

Might just be named qemu.

>correct solution to someone else's problem
why would kernel try to fix what pajeet-tier developers fucked up?
the whole concept of memory overcommit is shit layered upon shit, because instead of the poorly written program crashing when it can't hog more memory, the OOM is going to kill a virtually random process, possibly fucking up even more.
again, fixing memory-hogging shitware in kernel is a stupid fucking idea.
the problem always was pajeets being sloppy with memory alocation. now that the problem has been "fixed", they don't have to care any more and can in fact waste even more memory because the "solution" is there. now try running that shitware on a system configured for maximum robustness that won't let you overcommit. now what?
if anything, the problem got worse.

I'm not thrilled about capitalism either.

yeah but at least it doesn't collapse within 50 years

Isn't HURD like, the Duke Nukem Forever of kernels? Or would that be the Half Life 3, if we were using more modern analogies.

This. Fuck capitalism.

> The solution to the problem is for userspace developers to stop being stupid
good luck with that

The government may not collapse but the people do.

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you’re referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I’ve recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.
Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called “Linux”, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project. There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use.
Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine’s resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called “Linux” distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

took you long enough

That doesn't even apply in this situation, because I'm literally talking about the kernel without the GNU coreutils