What causes fanboyism? It's so weird to me that people wouldn't want AMD to become a serious competitor to intel...

What causes fanboyism? It's so weird to me that people wouldn't want AMD to become a serious competitor to intel, and even go so far to mock it. It only gives YOU benefits if intel has competition. Same thing with consoles and everything else. The second there is a monopoly is when things get fucked for the consumer.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=fb73kHBAirU
youtu.be/o_y3waeqxU8
collegehumor.com/video/6583358/why-religious-people-are-nerds
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Autism. Seriously.

>What causes fanboyism?
Lack of pride in personal achievements, usually because fanboys haven't achieved a whole lot. (they tend to be very young etc)

People need to feel some sort of pride. If they have nothing to be proud of themselves, they extend it to products they own. (Not just tech either, look at shoes, clothing in general, cars etc)

>Lack of pride in personal achievements, usually because fanboys haven't achieved a whole lot. (they tend to be very young etc)
thanks this makes so much sense.

Also race.

>I bought X
>Y just came out, newer, better and cheaper
>it must be shit BECAUSE I bought X I would never make such a stupid shortsighed mistake

This is actually interesting.

I have pondered this question myself.
I think there is something in human psychology something deep inside everyone of us.
Something that makes us identify with something and fight for it.
Previously there was the tribe, the nation, religion.
Something that tapped and occupied this spot in humans.

Today when a lot of people are empty simple advertising can get a hold of it.
I think this phenomena is related to nostalgia glasses.
>This show/game is awesome because I played it as a child.

Look at this.
youtube.com/watch?v=fb73kHBAirU
youtu.be/o_y3waeqxU8

collegehumor.com/video/6583358/why-religious-people-are-nerds

Its a great example, my parents got me X gaming system so I'm going to think its the best ever.
The same is true for adults they bought something and simple propaganda can make you fanboy for the corporation.

Personally I'm not fanboying because I have greater things in my life.
My right wing ideology has filled my life and in the end corporations are only shaisters who are there to serve me not the other way around.

To bring this to a conclusion I'm often buying something based on habit.
I buy nVidia because I did see that their cards work in the past and trying out AMD is a risk especially that nVidia actively is trying to ill of their competition and I'm afraid to blow my money on a card that will be sub par do to nVidias underhand bullshit.
Same for intell.
Now from this risk fanboyism can grow.

Personally I think having competition would be great however all markets tend towards monopolies and intell is actively raping everyone selling the same performing processor and only switching socket
>A new socket a day keeps the plebs away

I'm one of the begrudgingly sarcastic people who knows that MS and intell and nVidia are fucking us over however they underhandedly crippled the competition however I'm still on for the ride with them.
To be continued.

On the other hand are fanboys who actually love the corporation.
you want to talk delusional fanboys? Try OSX fanboys. After intell they will literally argue that the same processor works better in a mack because it has a apple sticker on it.

You can not get more delusional.

So these are my $5 of thinking.
Have a nice day.

moderately rich parents. not rich enough to buy every brand, but just enough to afford one, so the kids must justify their choice

>Previously there was the tribe, the nation, religion.
with these you are at least indoctrinated from birth and they do net you real-world benefits if you fit into the mold. (if you don't you're fucked)

with fanboys they are totally unprompted to attach onto these things.

>What causes fanboyism?
My guess is that people/society naturally gravitates towards making competition out things (us vs. them). Just something most do, marketers and companies notice that, and they use it to their advantage.

Republicans vs Democrats
Nintendo vs Sega
Team Gryffindore vs Team Slytherin
Team Jacob vs Team (whoever that pasty vampire dude is from twilight series)
Xbox vs Playstation

fanboys are not exclusive to one side. there's been a lot of hardware fanboyism from two sides lately and both are fucking annoying.

This

People should stop with racial pride and start with racial hate

Blacks are the problem and every other people needs to band together to eliminate the problem

i know, that's why i mentioned consoles.

Its not that confusing its a hobby which requires no skill but offers comradery and a feeling of superiority.

Its like a group mentality that sustains off of conceit and arrogance.

Just another comping mechanism for insecurity

Exactly. I notice that fanboys are generally young. And the adult fanboys are mostly people who aren't intelligent and base their purchases off impulses or what will the others think of them rather than thorough research on how to maximize their utility.

I am a fanboy of Intel and NVIDIA for example because I owned laptop with ATI GPU.
It was so slow I couldn't even run Unreal Editor with it. No OpenCL, nothing. NVIDIA had CUDA everywhere at this point.
Proprietary drivers for Linux stopped at some middle ages version of Xorg. The open-source driver was overheating and anything more than browsing Sup Forums was throttling, freezing screen and creating weird artifacts.
Now I have nice laptop with NVIDIA. Optimus sucks, fan is noisier than on Windows, but it is still far better than AMD.

So I am fanboy, because AMD fucked me so good with lack of support and technology.

Found the fanboy

Apart from tribal instincts, there's also:

> What's wrong X fags, enjoying your crap in the current year?
> Here's evidence that Y is better than X
> I am a supporter of Y and therefore it means i am a superior human being
> Smug meme picture

Even if you normally don't care for any of that stuff, it's still phrased as a personal attack. Nobody wants to be told that the product they chose, bought and enjoyed is somehow shit and chances are high that someone will respond. The louder and more obnoxious the thread is, the more popular and active it gets, and the cycle continues. All this in pursuit of that high one gets from winning an argument.