Linux Ratings

Rate linux distros you've used / are using and rate them [0/10] and [Easy/Expert] and maybe tell your favorite or most hated thing about it.

E.G.

>Ubuntu
[8/10]
[Easy]
Very User Friendly
No problems
>Arch
[5/10]
[Hard/Expert]
Works
Setup isn't easy

Honestly, I want to get into Linux, but what stops me is that the simpler / well documented ones have gay as fuck names (fedora, Mandingo, etc) or a stupid logo.

>Ubuntu/ElementaryOS
[Easy]
[6/10]
>Debian/Arch
[Easy]
[9/10]
>Slackware
[Hard]
[10/10]

I don't really know why people say Arch Linux is a "hard" to learn distro, everything is on the wikia really well explained. AUR is super useful too.

I am currently using Slackware (running from the plague, systemd). Although it is not much different than any other distro (really, they are all almost the same) I really like it's community, their package manager and how they manage 32bit and 64bit builds.

a millenial post

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

>Arch
[9/10]
[Hard]
Large official repo.
Everything else is in the AUR.
Setup shouldn't be hard if can use a terminal.
Setting up some things can be a pain.
Wiki is amazing.

>Debian
[8/10]
[Medium]
Easy to install and use.
Old as shit packages and kernel by default.
Testing is actually pretty stable.
Largest repository.
Freetardation makes it harder to install some packages.
Can be as lightweight or customizable as arch (netinst)

>Suse
[7/10]
[Harder than it should be but still Easy]
Very easy to install, use and manage (Yast)
Freetardation makes it very confusing to install codecs and fonts.
Slow and bloated by default.

>Void
[7/10]
[Hard]
No systemd.
Good package manager.
Init system works well.
Very few mirrors may lead to slow downloads depending where you live

>NixOS
[7/10]
[Autist]

Amazing configuration style allows you to describe you entire system in a single config file.
Very easy to perform rollbacks and downgrade specific packages.
Allows multiple virtual environments with specific packages installed (nix-shell)
Not so big repo.
The language used for configuration is fucking weird.
Small documentation.
Can't run binary files by default.
You probably need to learn how to write nix packages to use it seriously.

>Ubuntu
10/10
Nice when they aren't bugging nouveou

>Mint
-1/10
>Kubuntu
~8/10 missing functionality
>various others i've tried
0/10
>anything that has a firefox/chrome that preforms better in wine while the packaged version preforms like it was compiled in debug -1/10

He's a cuck that wants to stay on the botnet.

>all debian based OSs
2/10
>openSUSE
4/10
>Sabayon
Fast but confusing as fuck 6/10
>Fedora
buggy as fuck and not reliable 6/10

didn't you hear? Everything is the botnet now.

>ubuntu
8/10. Werks.

>debian
8.5/10. Werks if you can manage to install it which is a lesson in helishness if you need nonfree drivers on eufi

>fedora workstation
6/10. It works but it performs terribly. dnf is okay

>Kali
8/10. Works out of the box. Nonfree firmware by default. Like debian with modern packages and le haxxor tools.

>Manjaro
8/10. Shitty slow installer but it's straightforward. Pacman is a nice package manager and the aur is good. unlike arch, Manjaro fucking works by default without autistic install

>Mint Debian Edition
8/10. It just werks.

Debian
>Easy to use, shitty to configure
>5/10
>old as fuck
>breaks on any hardware younger than 15 years
>no closed-source driver support (this may be a bonus to some
people, but not to me)
>stable, at least
OpenSUSE
>comprehensive, intermediate difficulty
>8/10
>beautiful installer
>may break if you don't what you're doing
>asks for root password very often
>extensive software and driver support

Linux Mint!

Quickly becoming my daily driver. Reminds me of windoze XP. Not as flashy as win7 but still nice. Very fast.

My biggest complaint is installing software as on any linux distro including mint is questionable. Some things just install and work. Others, not so much.

My windoze 7 machine has slowed to a crawl. It's to the point where it's not even useable anymore.. I fkn hate microshit!

I use mint off a USB hard drive on the same exact machine and it's fast.

>*buntu/Fedora/Manjaro/OpenSuSe/Mint/PeppermintOS/Bodhi
Easy
Mostly work out of the box with Fedora being a dick and requiring a little bit of tinkering.

>Debian/Arch
Intermediate
a bit more time to completely set them to your needs but performance is great.

>RHEL/CentOS
Expert
Annoying as I have to work on them on daily basis but they are on a expert level just because of the maintenance.

umm
>arch
8/10
id jusd werks

>debian
7/10
some packages are frustrating as far as upgraderij, but ok

>smgl
6/10
frustrating to install stuff

>manjaro
NA
did not boot

>crux
9/10
is fun

>gentoo
8/10
alright,

>mint
6/10
confusery

>void
6/10
arch ish but without so many packages, hence not so useful

>Honestly, I want to get into Linux, but what stops me is that the simpler / well documented ones have gay as fuck names (fedora, Mandingo, etc) or a stupid logo.
You can always remove that logo if you want.

yea he can probably make a better one with his art degree

>I fkn hate microshit!
go do your social studies homework sweetie, it's getting late!

I'm doing my studies right here in this thread, thanks to the people that actually put a valuable input.

>Ubuntu/Debian/CentOS
[6/10]
[Very easy]
Debian and CentOS make decent servers, and Ubuntu just werks if you don't feel like fucking around with customization and just want GNU/Linux. Also user friendly.

[Arch]
[9/10]
[Easy/Medium]
Fun to use and I prefer pacman to apt. Very stable and fast contrary to what 90% of Sup Forums thinks.

[Gentoo]
[8/10]
[Hard]
First time setup was a pain, but got pretty simple after I installed it a few times. I don't like emerge too much. It's overly complex and takes forever to compile some shit. Good hobbyOS. I'd recommend it to intermediate GNU/Linux users since it will teach you a lot.

Been using Arch for the last 3 months and I love it.

Thank you for your input, this has been very helpful to me and hopefully other people as well.

Please do not stop posting as I'm still monitoring the thread and other lurkers may pass by.

Thank you again to those that contributed, you make the Sup Forums community a better place :)

Ubuntu/Kubuntu/Xubuntu/Ubuntu GNOME/Ubuntu MATE/KDE Neon
>8/10, absurdly easy but I encountered wi-fi problems from 14 through 16 that I never found a reliable fix for
>It's sad that the fucking KDE company itself can't make a truly stable iteration of its own DE on its own unique distro
>KDE/XFCE are great, GNOME is alright, Unity is awkward, and MATE exists too I guess

Mint
>7/10, none of the hardware issues I had with Ubuntu but there's no reason to use it other than Cinnamon - which is a decent DE, but I prefer KDE

Elementary
>5/10, great for a retard-proof workstation or giving your grandma an OS for her solitaire machine; otherwise, its DE (the only reason to use it) is fucking awful
>I do think it's amusing that they're trying so hard to be OSX - it's unfortunate that they're succeeding in the worst way, though

Fedora
>7/10, Pretty easy - you should be able to add a repo and some codecs
>If I liked GNOME more this would be my distro of choice for that

openSUSE Tumbleweed (my current distro)
>9/10, Fedora-level easy ("enterprise-level" is a meme and you know it)
>None of the hardware issues I had with Ubuntu, though things sometimes glitch on me if I don't update them soon after I get the option to do so - not nearly as frustrating, though
>Stable KDE is no longer the stuff of fantasies
>Probably going to jump over to Leap when the next version comes out

>ubuntu
[Easy]
[9/10]
no words to describe the times I look for a problem and end up stumbling into a 12.10 thread
>Debian
[MILD]
{10/10}
Takes a lot of manual reading and ethernet using. Stick to ubungu if you aren't sure
>Fedora
{Easy}
[7/10]
Slow in my experience but I'll recommend it anyways
>Manjaro
{Retard}
[10/10]
best distro honestly, I just prefer apt to pacman

also, currently using Debian on desktop and bunsenlabs on recently acquired Dell Latitude 2120.
BL handles nonfree wi-fi a lot better

Id use OpenSUSE if they didn't have such a small, under funded and incompetent dev team

:^) your welcome

>Damn Small Linux
[6/10]
[Easy]
Looks like shit
Good for when you need Linux but weren't autistic enough to carry around a live usb
Not named Damn Small GNU/Linux

What sort of issues has the dev team produced? I've yet to encounter anything.

Couple questions, I've dabbled in Debian and Fedora and so far it's been ok (trying to learn the hard way)

Is the only difference between Manjaro and Arch is that the installer is more automated? Does Majaro use pacman and can I use the arch wiki for any problems? I just want to get a feel of it before I bother with arch.

How different is it from arch?

They haven't inherently caused any problems themselves, they are simply lacking man power to keep up with the distro's like Fedora in terms of security updates and bug patches.

Don't get me wrong, the OpenSUSE guys do a great job, there just simply isn't enough backing for the project and SUSE can never compare to Redhat in terms of man power

This is true, but Tumbleweed has kernel 4.10 and Fedora is still on 4.9.6? Another point for OpenSUSE is that you can do a smaller install, where as Fedora you have to use a preconfigured DE with all the bloat

>Arch
[7/10]
A lot of customizability, can do things the way I want them to
Had a lot of issues with setup because I insisted on LUKS
No bloatware

>Debian
[9/10]
I would install this on any computer that needed Linux. It's the perfect middle between customizable and easy to use.

>Mint
[8/10]
It's what I recommend to newbies

>Ubuntu
[1/10]
Botnet, bloated piece of trash with african garbage on their front page
Ugly as shit, slow, last time I had it it even came with some Amazon adware installed

>Ubuntu with unity
[8/10]
Works good, no complaints
>Debian w/ lxde
[5/10]
Had to add the nonfree stuff which took a hot minute to figure out, made installation a pain, the organization with the start bar is shit.
>Lubuntu
[7/10]
Very nice. evince thumbnailer error, every damn time.
>Fedora w/ lxde
[7/10]
Eh, I think I'm just used to Canonical/deb stuff.
>Xubuntu
[screen tearing/10]
>Mint
[7/10]
Only stopped using it because of the security thing.

All are pretty easy.

>Mint
do you install packages with its gui installer before using apt-get?
I use apt-get, but if the gui software installer is better, I'd use that.

>Ubuntu
[7/10]
[Easy]
+My first linux distro [nostalgia]
+fast in general
-Canonical Deepthroating M$
-Mir instead of Wayland

>Arch
[7/10]
[Easy if you're willing to learn]
+Everything is up to date with upstream
+Updates are simple
-Managing the aur in a non-shit manner is a pita
-Tweaking repo packages and keeping them up to date also a pita.

>Gentoo
[8/10]
[Expert]
+slotted packages, multiple versions at once
+Hella customization. Don't like glibc? Use musl. Don't like OpenRC? Use systemd.
+Hella good cross compilation system
-Odd stupid things here and there, mostly related to crossdev

On 4.9.13 now if you have enabled Fedora Updates? I just got this kernel few days ago.

Doesn't OpenSUSE Tumbleweed come with Apparmor preconfigured? Sup Forums generally recommends Apparmor over SELinux due to the overcomplexity of it

>Kali
Would you say Parrot OS is a better platform for pen testing? I heard it has a lot more packages out of the box. Dunno about the stability tho.

Is kali not worth it if I'm not interested in becoming a l33t hacker?

>Android
[Shit]
[0/10]
>Debian GNU/Linux
[Easy]
[10/10]
>Alpine Linux
[Trash]
[1/10]