Best File System?

Alright Sup Forums, let's talk about APFS, did Apple win again?

Remember Linus shitting on HTS+? I wonder what he thinks of Apple File System.

Other urls found in this thread:

apple.com/privacy/privacy-policy/
apple.
wired.com/2016/06/apples-differential-privacy-collecting-data/
google.com/policies/privacy/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

btrfs master race

TIL APFS is the only file system that offers file encryption by default. my next computer will be a Mac because apple is the only privacy driven company left. how did it get to apple being the best tech company in 2017

Probably that it looks good

He shat on a shit system, there is no need to do it if the system is not shit

Is this ready to replace ext4 as the de facto standard yet? The Gentoo install guide says it's still experimental and not to put anything important on it.

they were always decent. its only the fact that people seem to put the most attention on macbooks and iPhones. also the user base is split between retards and smart people.

ReiserFS mastermurder race

>Linus
who?

XFS

tech tips

abandomfilesystem

Nah. Not like this would beat most of Linux's many glorious filesystems, including those that Sup Forums doesn't usually think about but that run "the cloud".

As almost always, OSX looses.

But maybe they finally made something sensible. Which is fine and worth praising as such. Well, time will tell...

It's sufficiently stable if you ask me, but I've never had an actual disaster to recover from.

You can go to their wiki and check which features aren't stable so you don't use them

>Not like this would beat most of Linux's many glorious filesystems
top kek

You seriously think that Apple filesystem without even the option to have checksums on data has a chance?

The Linux filesystems were hammered into their current shape by big data and so on.

Virtually everyone who has a lot of data to store and/or work with uses Linux for that.

>Virtually everyone who has a lot of data to store and/or work with uses Linux for that.
just because its the cheapest option that fits their requirements.

>just because it's the cheapest option that fits their requirements
not an argument
cheap doesn't necessarily mean bad, and if it fits their requirements, they don't need shitty bloat features

There is nothing else that really fits big data / big processing's requirements.

The other Unix-likes had the market in the past, but none can really substitute for Linux at this point.

Fossil #1

Enjoy your boot disc on HFS+. HAHAHAHA!

Linux has all those "shitty bloat" features that precisely are attractive if you have various more enterprise-type storage situations. Or some special deployment at home.

This also is reflected in various options in filesystems, many of them have a LOT of options.

OSX is the thing that typically has next to nothing. It barely can be convinced to do software RAID... to a small, unworkable extent.

It's an end consumer OS for something close to the lowest common denominator of end user. Little bloat for that profile of user, but also no features for everyone else.

Finally catching up to NTFS I see.

Linus is right to shit on HFS+, it's a really bad fs. Lot's of the fs metadata is actually big endian, i'ts so dumb.

oh and it uses unicode equivalence bollocks, same file can be accessed using different strings, because it treats many characters as the same one.

That's why it would be nice to see his opinion on APFS.

>apple is the only privacy driven company left.
>member of Prism

Thank god they got rid of that piece of shit.

btrfs + xfs
actually I don't know, those two are the defaults for openSUSE and really cannot tell the difference between those two and ext4.

I can legit say ZFS is nice on my server though.

Why is little endian even a thing? I get that switching endian-ness is retarded but we (humans) use big endian so is there a reason to little endian that I'm not aware of?

>Linux has all those "shitty bloat"
But it doesn't. It literally has support for a doxen different filesystems that all have various advantages and feature sets that can fit any particular workload. It doesn't have one monolithic filesystem that tries to be everything (until recently with btrfs and zfs), and does a shitty job at everything like Apple and MS, it has a dozen different ones supported by various communities for different use cases.

> apple is the only privacy driven company left
Delusional much?

This doesn't even go as far as to their privacy policy where they declare half of things like your location or profession as "not private at all" and reserve to sell this information or use it as they please. They also reserve the option to sell even the "private" data to any entity whatsoever including any that won't respect even the few remaining privacy policy restrictions Apple granted you.

Google's and even Microsoft's policies are often far less intrusive and broad.

>mactoddlers unironically shill a piece of shit filesystem from the same streetshitters that shat out the worst filesystem in the history of computing

(cont'd)
apple.com/privacy/privacy-policy/

>apple.

Was Apple seriously still using a 32 bit file system?

>TIL APFS is the only file system that offers file encryption by default.
No it isn't you fucking retard.

No, I'm not posting this from OSX, I'm on Linux.

This isn't a subjective argument anyhow. Read the damn privacy policy.

It declares the following free for basically any use:
> occupation, language, zip code, area code, unique device identifier, referrer URL, location, and the time zone where an Apple product is used
> customer activities on our website, iCloud services, our iTunes Store, App Store, MAC App Store, App Store for Apple TV and iBooks Stores and from our other products and services
(Think about what can be described as "activities" on their "products and services").
> details of how you use our services
> precise location data, including the real-time geographic location of your Apple computer or device. Where available, location-based services may use GPS, Bluetooth, and your IP Address, along with crowd-sourced Wi-Fi hotspot and cell tower locations, and other technologies to determine your devices’ approximate location
(

can you tell me where it says they sell your information?

>TIL
What is this reddit?

Intel won, that's why we use little endian. IBM had to switch powerpc to little endian too, to avoid being kicked out of the market.

Already mentioned some. It obviously doesn't say Apple is *obligated* to sell your information. Only that it can sell, license, share it with partners, toss it out to the public etc.
But of course they're not FORCED to do any of this - it's only their choice and you have no further say in it.

ReFS

btrfs is fucking slow, they keep trying to fix it but it's still fucking slow. Maybe in a couple years it'll be good.

apple is somewhat better at privacy (especially if you turn Siri off and shit like that) because they're trying to sell you hardware, and having a non-horrifying privacy policy helps them do that.

Google makes shit "free" because they're monetizing you by aggressively harvesting your data. This seems pretty basic common sense.

>It's an end consumer OS for something close to the lowest common denominator of end user.
you mean faggots who use trackpads instead of having their entire OS set up with vim-inspired key bindings?

>I can legit say ZFS is nice on my server though.
isn't it awfully resource-intensive?

They say they "anonymize" your data to some extent so as to make it non-"personal". I don't know if it's been audited ever.

HFS+ is 64bit actually

>isn't it awfully resource-intensive?
Should be fine since it's a server and generally they're not too bad in terms of resources

unless of course you're running it off an old laptop like what I used to do

all you did was post the non personal information section.

>If we do combine non-personal information with personal information the combined information will be treated as personal information for as long as it remains combined.
>Personal information will only be shared by Apple to provide or improve our products, services and advertising; it will not be shared with third parties for their marketing purposes.

Tim Cook's letter

>I want to be absolutely clear that we have never worked with any government agency from any country to create a backdoor in any of our products or services. We have also never allowed access to our servers. And we never will.

are you seriously suggesting google, an advertising company built on selling user data, has better privacy safeguards? what in the fuck are you smoking?

Well my server is an old atom board with a pci sata board and 3gig of ram...

I don't even bother setting up a RAID, honestly. I just get the 5-year warranty drives and wait until the bottom of the bathtub curve to copy anything important to them

Point me to the sentence and I'll explain how you're wrong.

Note that much of the bullshit in this contract is that Apple largely reserves the right to do anything with "non-personal" information, and they extensively define things common sense would say is personal as "non-personal".
Essentially, if you need as much as a phone book to link it back to you, it's already "non-personal" because it doesn't, on its own, identify you.

wired.com/2016/06/apples-differential-privacy-collecting-data/

>all you did was post the non personal information section.
The POINT of me quoting these sections is literally that they don't even consider this personal information but free-for all uses as they see fit.

That said as a small correction, I actually posted from more sections.

> Personal information will only be shared by Apple to provide or improve our products, services and advertising; it will not be shared with third parties for their marketing purposes.
Good thing this information like your occupation is non-personal, huh.

Also many more caveats further down in the policy.

Like that they can do this with all, even personal information:
> in the event of a reorganization, merger, or sale we may transfer any and all personal information we collect to the relevant third party

Name if then stupid nigger

> wired
Fucking what? Please focus on the actual, real privacy policy. I don't want to discuss every damn reporter's opinions and ideas.

> LOL if u min max your tech you're a poorfag.

cute

>ZFS
>NTFS
>ext4

>don't even consider this personal information
have you even looked at googles privacy policy? they dont even bother classifying information into personal and non personal. they do the exact same thing with ALL your data.

> in the event of a reorganization, merger, or sale we may transfer any and all personal information we collect to the relevant third party
oh hey look google has the same thing

>If Google is involved in a merger, acquisition or asset sale, we will continue to ensure the confidentiality of any personal information and give affected users notice before personal information is transferred or becomes subject to a different privacy policy.

God, I hate it when people say "Hey, getting exactly what you will use on a normal basis and paying less for it is being a POORFAG HURHURHUR all the while clutching their macbooks and i7 6900k's and drooling their disgusting slobber all over the honestly serviceable-but-overpriced-for-what-they-do products.

I have very high hopes for bcachefs.

oh yeah and this will put an end to apple having less privacy safeguards as opposed to google (I honestly cant believe I'm arguing with someone so ignorant to believe google actually protects your privacy more considering their entire business lmfao);

>We do not share personal information with companies, organizations and individuals outside of Google unless one of the following circumstances applies:
Google, unlike apple, WILL share your PERSONAL data with THIRD PARTIES given certain conditions, the most interesting of which;

>We provide personal information to our affiliates or other trusted businesses or persons to process it for us

and thats that

None of those are encrypted by *default*.

>have you even looked at googles privacy policy?
Yes. I suggest you read it, too. Linkage again here:
google.com/policies/privacy/

> they do the exact same thing with ALL your data.
Nope. Certainly not. Almost everything is either opt in or anonymized in a group except for internal use and other parties restricted by AT LEAST the same rules. This even will apply in case they sell the business unit or Google itself.

> they dont even bother classifying information into personal and non personal.
They actually basically do. They define personal information, and they define various other information and how it's used.

But unlike with Apple, it's not just a trick to declare most stuff as non-personal as long as the tiniest bit of additional information is required to get to your specific person, and usage is far, FAR more restrained.

Either way, even if Google was far worse, it'd not change for shit that Apple guarantees next to no privacy, it just grabs the rights to do WHATEVER THE FUCK IT WANTS with just about anything anyone might consider private.

> For external processing
> We provide personal information to our affiliates or other trusted businesses or persons to process it for us, based on our instructions and in compliance with our Privacy Policy and any other appropriate confidentiality and security measures.
Whole sentence, just for you. Yea, the privacy policy applies in full. They just can hire other companies to do work as if they were internal. (Affiliates are by the way defined as "entity that belongs to the Google group of companies.")

This is a HUGE difference from Apple allowing itself "licensees", sales, strategic partners, and even anyone for any purpose ever on most data.

google shares your personal data with third parties. apple doesnt. your trying to argue that

>b-b-b-but the nonpersonal data is actually personal

no it isnt. someone posted a link on how they (and google) handle non personal data. like you mentioned, they completely anonymize it. apple actually anonymizes it better using differential privacy collection which is heralded by academia and professors as the best way to handle non personal data.

again to repeat, apple doesnt share personal data. apple doesn't share non personal data that is combined with personal data. google shares personal data. end of argument.

> google shares your personal data with third parties
Yes, under very specific restrictions that make sense and are much broader than what you'd expect - and I don't mean that just looking at Apple's business.

Legal reasons from overriding national law can't really be stopped, of course some people will actually have to sysadmin the machines in question (and they might need to be external experts I guess?), and it's obvious that you kinda want your sent email delivered to the person you indicated by consent.

> apple doesnt.
Absolutely wrong, they reserve that right many times in the privacy policy with many entities. They can even explicitly sell it.

They additionally redefine a lot that would commonly be seen as "personal" as simply "non-personal".

Apparently this works when you gullible people like you who just look at keywords rather than read the whole thing.

I'm not going to continue arguing with someone who genuinely believes that google, out of all companies, has better privacy safeguards than apple.

google is an ad company. you, and your personal information, is their product.

>again to repeat, apple doesnt share personal data
Again, to repeat, they REDEFINE most things as explicitly not personal data. This is downright cynical of them.

I listed some gems of what they state is non-personal and thus free for absolutely any and all use.

If that wasn't enough to make you puke at the sheer amount of bullshit they make poor gullible people like you swallow: Even among personal data, they can DOWNRIGHT SELL IT TO ANYONE (or sell it with a business unit if they prefer):

They can throw you to the paparazzi press for free, too:
> We may also disclose information about you if we determine that for [...] issues of public importance, disclosure is necessary or appropriate.

Your current real time location -obtained by any means- can of course also be handed to their licensees.

Yes, they won't slap your name on it, but it may just be a set of data with your device id, location, occupation, language, zip code, area code, referrer URL, customer activities on our website, iCloud services, our iTunes Store, App Store, MAC App Store, App Store for Apple TV and iBooks Stores and from our other products and services, details of how you use our services, including search queries... because all of this shit *isn't* private according to Apple, and, on its own, can't identify you.

Cool that nobody has a telephone book or the idea that where people are located for 8h+ is probably a home or work place.

Neither is APFS you rotting piece of horse shit.

You're looking for the word NATIVE encryption, which all of those filesystems have.

They reserve the right to place targetted advertisements, and creating ad profiles that will NOT let anyone personally identify you.

(They'll also not let them have any information related to confidential medical facts, racial or ethnic origins, political or religious beliefs or sexuality unless you opt in explicitly.)

Even internally, it's:
>We restrict access to personal information to Google employees, contractors and agents who need to know that information in order to process it for us, and who are subject to strict contractual confidentiality obligations and may be disciplined or terminated if they fail to meet these obligations.

I'll also point out how broadly defined "personal information" is with Google, it's anything associated with your account to begin with, things that would somehow identify you, even any information they bought from Applel about you.

This also is of course not absolute privacy and internally they will know a lot about you (and they might then have to hand it to, say, law enforcement) - but it goes far further than Apple, it's almost the opposite.