ITT we discuss and appreciate the great distro

Thanks Canonical!

Other urls found in this thread:

snapcraft.io/
flatpak.org/
informatimago.com/linux/emacs-on-user-mode-linux.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

is this desktop thread here?

I really like ubuntu. It's my daily driver for quite some time now on my x220 and my desktop.
I don't really know what people hate about unity. Unity is responsive as fuck. The search is fast too and everything just works.
To start chrome just do windows style:
windows-key -> 'chr' -> enter

Most launchers on other DEs are either slow as fuck or not as comfy imo

obviously forgot my pic, LOL! XD

Ubuntu is a great distro it's just hipster autists don't like it because it's too mainstream and "normie"

I like unity 7, I was considering changing from fedora gnome but unity 8 looks like it is shaping up to be ugly. I also find fedora easier to maintain with dnf, firewalld, and package naming in the repos.

>unity 8
Wow, what the fuck?!
Never seen this shit.
Canoncial please stap it!

>Ubuntu

I thought it might be pretty good when I saw they were transitioning to qt, but I almost died inside when I saw what it looks like.

Is unity 8 going to be the default on 17.04?

I like Ubuntu but unity 8 is looking like absolute shit, convergence was a mistake.

It's fine I guess. I can't say I find anything special about it. I only use it because some code I need for uni is only build tested on ubuntu lts and I don't have the time to worry about library versions etc.

Wait so good thing is large userbase

Supposedly. The plan is to have Unity 8 and snaps ironed out by 18.04 LTS

>convergence was a mistake.
It's not but Canonical is trying to do too much at once and they've spread their resources too thin

Ubuntu!

Just imagine how productive this CompSci PhD would be with a riced Arch setup.

How many releases has unity 8 been delayed from so far? I think they should have put their resources into Wayland instead of mir, xdg-app/flatpak instead of snap. And just kept unity 7 the way it is, or even gone ahead with the qt transition with unity but kept the appearance the same as unity 7.

He's already more productive than 99% of Sup Forums by virtue of actually having a job.

yet he's too dumb to install Arch
hmmm

You don't want bleeding packages on a production machine numbnuts.

>bleeding packages

This
It's just as painful as seeing how some people want to run arch as a server OS.

That is not a server though. It's a workstation, just like the average Sup Forums Arch workstation

A workstation should be just as reliable as a server.
Downtime = money.

If only they officially ditched Unity and adopted a decent DE.

Should normal users fuck with AppArmor?

>Sup Forums still gets baited this easily
As if we needed reminders on why this board/website is dying

i love ubuntu, it's got the best spyware in all of linux

Thanks canonical, Ubuntu is a best.

Unity is still cancer though, xfce ftw.

How do I install spyware in Ubuntu? I google so hard, but it seems impossible...

>not kubuntu

I read that as hyper autists

>spyware
Hey look, someone who read a clickbait blogpost from 4 years ago.

Let people like what they like. They aren't hurting you.

xubuntu is the goat for Nvidia cards that have issues with kubuntu

this

>what is xubuntu
>what is lubuntu
>what is kubuntu

Dmenu
Rofi
Both are fast and comfy, what now?

He said decent DE, not a buggy fudgepudge of inoperable software

Xubuntu was always decent.
Kubuntu is decent since 15.04
Lubuntu will hopefully be decent since 17.04

meant to

>X/L/K-ubuntu
>LITERALLY ubuntu with a different DE
>he said DE not a buggy fudgepudge of inoperable software

off yourself retard

>
>Xubuntu was always decent.
If you enjoy screen tearing and a suite of software that has zero interoperability
>Kubuntu is decent since 15.04
If you like inconsistent gui
>Lubuntu will hopefully be decent since 17.04
Lxde is a joke filled with bugs.

Seriously just install gnome and be done with it.

>gnome
dont you mean tabletde?

>If you enjoy screen tearing
This is an Xfce problem. It comes with any distribution that bundles Xfce until you fix it by installing Compton.
>If you like inconsistent gui
KDE is pretty consistent though.

Can I use OpenRC instead of systemd on ubuntu?

xubuntu = ubuntu with xfce .. unfussy
lubuntu = ubuntu with lxde .. for very old PCs. runs lightning fast
dunno what kubuntu is .. is it KDE .. in that case it is ubuntu with many features on it as standard

Stop being noob.

>not kde neon

is it true that none of the Linux distros has a one click install solution yet? Like the dmg on macs? I thought there was on ubuntu but...
(please dont go on a autistic fit about how package managers are 900 times better and click to install is cancer. they both have their usage cases)

snap and flatpak are exactly what you're talking about:
- snapcraft.io/
- flatpak.org/

UbuntuGnome confirmed greatest distro, it just works.

I like ubuntu - it's comfy.

I don't know, I run into the same shitty bugs every time I set up a vm or server every 6 months or so.

12.04 had issues with apt server certificates for the longest time
14.04 i forgot
16.04 systend

I think your points are valid but I just think it's ugly and an eyesore to look at daily. Also I really don't like the taskbar thing or whatever it's called.

Is English not your first language or are you just a retard?

like ubungu, even if the pkgs can be a bit behind.

better than my arch install which has me chrooting so change the kernel since lately it hasn't been playing nice with my hw.

I love ubuntu. It forces me to learn how linux truly work since it breaks every 5 seconds.

Ubuntu and opensuse have had one-click installs since forever. And not the lame-ass nigger-tier windows one, but one that allows installing any package through the repository by clicking on the link in the browser using a natively included extension.

No, every program ever hard-depends on systemd for no valid reason (e.g. even if the program actually doesn't need it, it's compiled to have to depend on systemd under ubuntu).

Ubuntu sucks. Canonical tries to force vendors into paying blackmail money to use Ubuntu. People don't realize it because they require people to keep it secret as part of the deals to continue using Ubuntu, but I DON'T GIVE A FUCK. CANONICAL SUCKS and all they do is offer a stale version of an already shitty Debian GNU/Linux.

Weird way of spelling Arch

The actual joke is that you could interchange arch and ubuntu anywhere in these statements and neither statement would surprise anyone who isn't fully armchairing it.

agreed user but don't be a pixelet

Why is it so buggy and bad?
>install a "supported" theme
>now every time I have 2+ windows of the same app open and one of them is minimized, clicking the app icon glitches the screen completely. This is now permanent because changing to the default theme doesn't fix this

>setting a custom "non-supported" resolution shits up on reboot, giving an error message forcing you to manually change it again on each reboot because X doesn't properly save the setting.

>doesn't have a tweak tool installed by default

Most of it's problems would be gone if it introduced wayland.

enjoy your botnet

Ubuntu mainstream??? Hahahahaha. Maybe in the developer/computer enthusiast subculture, but not in general. I think it's hilarious that people actually think this.

>mfw my gf has a bleeding package so i have to use the NSA backdoor

also

>daily driver? i hardly know 'er

you're welcome.

Not bad, been using it on my main desktop for few months. Had to replace Unity with Cinnamon because Unity just isn't my thing.

Good distro if you don't have much free time for fucking around with configs or googling simple shit that should work OOTB.

>mfw thinking about switching to a similar keyboard as my ulnar nerve making my life a living fucking hell.

going to miss my mech

What's the point of using Terminator when you can just use tmux? Just asking not trying to be a dick.

Just use Emacs.

informatimago.com/linux/emacs-on-user-mode-linux.html

If you want to be productive as a professional programmer, Ubuntu has everything you need

I like the icon, name and the red bar, that's it.

Ubuntu is the best debian based distribution.

So, Ubuntu is...?

Except the lack of bugs of course, a property which would allow you to not ring up IT support every minute and instead do some work.

you can't trust canonical. they're working closely together with microsoft. plus the amazon botnet that was presumably removed but you never know.