> Run Pkg.update() in my Julia terminal

>> Run Pkg.update() in my Julia terminal.
>> It automatically updates atom to the latest version.

WTF

Julia's package manager is crazy. If I install a package with a dependency on python packages, it will download and install anaconda by itself and conda install the python packages you need as a dependency.

So disappoint.

Neat and full circle, is the build system also a library?

>system-wide or even user-wide programming language package management instead of project-wide for best granularity and least side-effects
That's why DUB is the best programming language package manager.

So basically, what everything else does.

Now DUB only needs a good programming language with good reference compilers.

DMD is great though, user.

I don't think so. Last time I checked it was a crashy, not-really optimising piece of shit that relied on DMC and on some promises from Symantec.

Didn't DMD switch purely to D code a while back?

Yeah, "last time I checked" obviously means 8 years ago for that guy, but apparently he thinks bashing D on online Tibetan Titanium-welding imageboards without rechecking it every at least couple of years is a reasonable thing to do.

I wouldn't know, I haven't been following its development for a year or so.

But even in this case, it wouldn't be able to compete with LLVM or GCC as backend. That's not something I'd want as a reference compiler for a language that now aims at being a C++ replacement.

The greater overall problem seems that the whole thing seems to be the ego trip of Bright while aimlessly fucking around for the last decade or so.
On the other hand, C++ commitee doesn't have their shit together, so whatever.

I don't really see anything wrong with the reference compiler not optimizing very well. It compiles super quick for unit tests, and LDC works with dub as well.

>Yeah, "last time I checked" obviously means 8 years ago for that guy, but apparently he thinks bashing D on online Tibetan Titanium-welding imageboards without rechecking it every at least couple of years is a reasonable thing to do.

Pretty sure that was just the frontend of DMD while the backend got replaced not quite such a while ago.
Actually nevermind, I remembered it wrong, DMDs garbage distribution for Windows just installs DMC.

>on online Tibetan Titanium-welding imageboards
kek

BTW: Is it still true that quite a lot of libraries can only be compiled with DMD?

Even without optmizing a lot, it's still faster than C++ and sometimes even C in many use cases.

I regularly use dlangui, vibe.d, dpq2, and a shit ton other libraries. I prefer LDC for compiler. Never had troubles compiling anything.

I think the concept of reference implementations is garbage for anything but the most trivial standards. It barely works for codecs.

We were talking about DMD not optimizing very well ya git, not LDC or GDC.

Who gives two shits about DMD? It's proprietary crap!

Only because Bright isn't the sole copyright owner.

And by that you mean cherry-picked benchmarks and stuff that would require too painful metaprogramming in C++.

I actually wonder how Symantec could become half the copyright owner.

Did he secretly code it in his worktime and got busted?

Well D's templates being a few orders of magnitude less painful than C++'s is one of its strong points.

Pretty much.

wtf

It's not designed for that, you dumbasses. It's made for QUICK compilation, which is what you want when you're developing big projects: you don't want to wait the entire morning to build the whole thing just so you can test it. Developer time is costly.

GCC does NOT offer you that because it focuses so hard on being the Jeremy Clarkson of the open source community (MUH SPEEEEEEEED).

So I take it incremental compilation isn't possible?

>faster than C++ and sometimes even C
Don't joke like that, user.

This, obviously C++ is at worst same as C.