What's preferable to this?

What's preferable to this?

GNU + Gentoo

Reason, or Logic maybe. FL is pretty good too desu. I still haven't decided myself which one to go for.

Other options include Cubase and ProTools

rly like Logic for beginners

depending on your use you could need another DAW though.

I like Reason and Ableton Live 9 .. although i dont use live instruments.

Ableton is great.

Can somebody please tell me what's so great about ableton? It seems that it's probably the most popular DAW used by people who aren't shit, but I still really like FL.

i suppose its just a preference thing, download the trial for it and see if you like it

Its a reasonable 'linear' DAW like all the others etc. but its got a non-linear interface as well for performance. You can kind of use the DAW like its an instrument and record that way.

Its a bit hard to explain as its unique to Ableton as far as I know. Get a demo and it will obvious in five minutes.

LMMS

Ableton. But it really depends on if you want a music creation DAW (electronic music etc), or a music recording suite. Ableton is the best for the former and does the 2nd well too, Logic Pro is the best for recording, but it's OSX only. Otherwise, Presonus Studio One is good for studio recording I hear.

Ableton does a lot and it's easy to use.
In compose view (traditional DAW view where the waveform is presented horizontally), it's about as familiar and easy to use as any DAW out there. In Live view, you can do live DJ mixes, or break up your tracks into sections and mix them live. It's kinda difficult to explain, but for electronic music creation, it can be used to give your tracks a less calculated sound and a more organic sound because you can mix live. Whereas in FL Studio you may just manually click or type in a reverb fade-in to a drop for example, you can do that live very easily with Ableton given the hardware (or even without if you git gud).

tl;dr Ableton is a fun, easy to use, highly retarded, and powerful DAW that offers features other DAWs don't.

(actually if you're a beginner, and you don't want to spend any money or time torrenting, Audacity and Garageband are great places to start getting familiar with a DAW)
(actually, if you're just doing podcasts or something, use Audacity)

>LMMS

I use an old version of Ableton. It isn't ideal for live instrumentation but it's doable. Audacity is good to have as well.

Probably your most important items are a decent pair of monitors and a clean workspace. Save your work often and back it up.

t. giver of unsolicited advice

Reason i50% of Ableton is literally dedicated to loops
That's what these people mean when they says "uhh it's hard to explain because it's so advanced"
Loops
Other than that it's the same shit as any other daw

FL is one of the easiest DAWs to work with, same with Logic. Reason has this weird obsession with instrument racks and makes it hard to navigate and Ableton is way too minimal which makes me think I need actual hardware to compose music.

Ableton is not minimal you just didn't read the manual
ProTools is the only DAW that really needs hardware to be fully functional
And the problem with reason is that it's still trying to be reason for some reason, up until just recently, reason was garage-band tier proprietary shit that only worked with itself.
New-Reason is trying to be more like regular DAWs but still can't seem to let go of the past

I actually bought a legit copy of FL studio and I highly recommend doing so it's worth every fucking penny.

>you just didn't read the manual
kek. While with FL I never read the manual and I know how to do basic navigation and controls.

Congratulations?
It's idiot-proof, thanks for confirming that

You should spend several days on YouTube when using any DAW for the first time, especially if you're completely new to DAWs as a whole
No shame in actually learning how to fully utilize your software that you may have paid $500 for

Is there anything drag-n-drop tier? I'm a noob. Or is there anything with instrument specific notes?

Ableton.

Everything *can* be that simple, most DaWs have a piano roll or some sort and you can easily just set up one instrument-VST to one track and play the synth on your PC keyboard while recording yourself, or just drop and stretch notes with basically any DAW
Abletons Session View (Loop-based DJ-ish UI) might be good for you, click up some loops and bars and then play around with them for fun
Personally I can't stand the workflow of session view and I'm not a loop-y guy so the other Ableton view is better for me. Session view sure is fun though
And if you want user friendliness, avoid EVERY tracker. They use an "outdated" text based workflow and have a brick wall of a learning curve. I use ReNoise to edit samples just because it's so good at micromanagement but I wouldn't ever recommend it to a beginner
Ableton is what I use most of the time and I think after a few YouTube videos of instructions, it's very capable and easy to use