/spg/ - Smartphone General - Galaxy S8 hype edition

If requesting purchasing advice, please provide your country and what carrier you will be using it with, along with wanted features, budget and size.

Good resources:
>reviews, specs, comparisons
gsmarena.com
phonearena.com
kimovil.com

>Frequency checker
willmyphonework.net
frequencycheck.com

>Chinkphone news
gizchina.com
gizmochina.com

>Recommended Chinkphones $80-$300 as of a long time ago
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Chink_shit_general/Phones

>Post a mini-review of your phone
>Discuss upcoming and current models
>Ask for help related to phones
>Tell us how much shekels you spent on good/bad phone
>Shill your Xiaomi
>PRAISE THE CHINKPHONES unless you live in America you shits

>News:
Meizu M5s review
gsmarena.com/meizu_m5s-review-1586.php

Nokia 6, 5 and 3 hands-on
gsmarena.com/nokia_6_nokia_5_nokia_3-review-1584.php

Meizu Unveils Super mCharge: Fast Charging At 55W
anandtech.com/show/11179/meizu-unveils-super-mcharge-fast-charging-at-55w

ZTE Announces The Blade V8 Mini And Blade V8 Lite
anandtech.com/show/11165/zte-blade-v8-mini-and-blade-v8-lite

MediaTek Announces Helio X30 Availability: 10 CPU Cores On 10nm
anandtech.com/show/11166/mediatek-helio-x30-10-cores-on-10nm

Entry-level Lenovo Vibe B with 4.5-inch display and quad-core CPU launched in India
gsmarena.com/entrylevel_lenovo_vibe_b_with_45inch_display_and_android_marshmallow_launched_in_india-news-23887.php

Honor V9 coming to Europe as the Honor 8 Pro
gsmarena.com/the_honor_v9_is_probably_coming_to_europe_on_april_5_under_the_honor_8_pro_moniker-news-23889.php

Moto G5 is now available in Europe for €199
gsmarena.com/moto_g5_is_now_available_in_europe_for__euro199-news-23899.php

Galaxy S8 and Galaxy S8+ get certified by FCC
gsmarena.com/galaxy_s8_and_galaxy_s8_get_certified_by_fcc-news-23875.php

old

Other urls found in this thread:

joybuy.com/1194131.html
mobilesyrup.com/2017/03/10/android-nougat-7-0-coming-samsung-galaxy-s7-edge-rogers/
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16875646004
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Anyone have any experience with the meizu x??

help me decide /spg/

all of them are the same price with the g4 plus having more and storage than the other two

>4gb of ram

>hype

No sweety, I'll wait for the note version and see if it has 6gb of ram. No 6gb no purchase

I'm thinking of getting a used iPhone 6S. My Nexus 6P reboots at the most annoying times, and the 810 gets hot as hell.

Will Moto G5 be good? Need a phone for chinese cartoons and I don't want chink phone, and I don't want to spend more than $200 US

Did I do good, /spg/?

Looking forward to seeing how their support is after a $1 billion fine.

I'm honestly loving mine. There are some minor issues such as notifications not always showing but Its a fantastic phone.

Any suggestions for a phone

zuk z2

Vernee Apollo Liteis still on sale for $129.99. For that price you get
>Android 6.0
>Helio X20 SoC
>1080p display
>4GB RAM
>3180mah battery
>USB Type C
>Fingerprint reader

joybuy.com/1194131.html
6X > G5+ > Galaxy
Good idea. It is Apple's last non meme phone.
It's okay I guess. I suppose the Honor 6X is outside your budget?

Otherwise you could try the latest Nokia 5 meme.
Honor 6X
Moto G5
Nokia 5
Zuk Z2
Xiaomi Redmi Note 3 Pro

My s4 broke after slipping out of my hand while napping today. Gonna go to the verizon store tomorrow to pick something up. Any suggestions? I just want a comfy phone for me to rice and have an anime wallpaper on.

galaxy a5 2017 vs honor 8?
camera and overall performance and stock bloat?

whats wrong with the galaxy j7 prime ?

TouchWiz
No custom ROM support

I just got word that Canadians will FINALLY get Nougat on the S7s on March 20. If they're on Rogers.

There has been no word from other carriers other than "we should all be getting the update at the same time", and radio fucking silence for those of us who bought an S7 outright from a Samsung store.

On top of that, we're gonna be getting 7.0 instead of 7.1. I'm still on the fucking November security patch for Christ's sake. ON A FACTORY UNLOCKED FLAGSHIP. It's not like Samsung have a Note 7 to worry about supporting anymore either. On top of that, apparently all those who already have official Nougat are complaining that battery consumption has gotten worse.

So this leaves me with having to use ROMs from Pajeet to stay updated, which have gotten more hit-and-miss in the past two years.

I fell for the meme. Don't you bastards do the same. If you want steady updates go for the Pixel, or a OnePlus phone if you're poor.

mobilesyrup.com/2017/03/10/android-nougat-7-0-coming-samsung-galaxy-s7-edge-rogers/

>oneplus
>steady updates

Also in leaf country, your s7 is factory unlocked?

>switched from a Note 7 to an iPhone 6s Plus

I cannot begin to describe how much I hate this fucking iPhone. Why do people buy iPhones? I hate it more and more everyday after ~4 month of use.

Never downgrade to a shitphone, even if you're using an outdated Android phone.

I'm actually so sick of Google and all of their crap.
I want WebOS back reeeeeeeee
I really don't need or want the vast majority of what Android does, I just want something nice and easy that doesn't give me 12 forms of cancer at every corner and collects every last bit of data it can find

Bought it straight from the beast's mouth. Samsung Store.

Hey, guys. Looking to replace my Galaxy S6, but I don't really know what price range I need to be looking in. Looking for something on par with the S6, but with expandable memory (up to 128GB preferred). I was hoping to get something for

Anyone know of a 3G capable dumb phone?

What are you looking to spend? The easy answer of course is the S5.

less than 600 would be fine, but idk
i've had this s4 for nearly 4 years so i'd like something futureproof

So my phone only has like a GB free and it's telling me to do something about it and I have a 64GB SD card in but when I move apps to it it doesn't move all the data? What should I do?

I'm getting the axon 7. Op3t is also acceptable

Which one should I get? They worth around the same on my country
>Galaxy s7
>Xperia xz
>Xperia x performance (64gb)
>Oneplus 3

here.
Should also say in posting this in line at the supermarket on my dying s4 so I'm aware of how much attachment you can develop to this 4 year old thing. Be prepped to get used to having a much larger device, phones have gotten really big nowadays

Moto G4, because Snapdragon > Exynos >>>>Mediakek

Do you want beautiful 1440p display?
>s7

otherwise 1+3. but tbqh you should be able to find the 1+3 for much cheaper than a s7.

Posting from my Honor 8. It's a good phone. Not sure about EMUI yet, but it's certainly fully featured

Not here (Chile)

hi

>no wifi-calling
That's the only flaw and they haven't been able to get it set up with tmobile yet. I'm willing to bet they never will.

Is apple the only company that doesn't make you talk to streershitters when you call customer service

/RCS/ WHENNNN

Need a smartphone that's resistant and has solid battery life. What buy?

PS under 400 $ if this even exists?

>S5

Not him, I'm lurking the thread hoping to find a replacement to my aging shitty S5.

If you want steady updates you actually should go Xiaomi.

Every month every phone in their entire lineup down to Redmi 1S (4yrs old) gets the latest UI and security patch, there are weekly dev builds as well.

I'm gonna shill the Honor 8. Good phone, but the lack of December community is concerning

Decent used phones under 300 USD?
Preferably a good camera
Expandable storage
At&t LTE compatable
>Or LG v10 bootloop fix that doesn't involve placing phone in freezer or toaster oven (yes, apparently that works)

How is the GPS on the oneplus 3t? I read threads of people having problems with it but I don't know if that's just a loud minority or a real issue with the phone.

>tfw my phone has a overnight standbydrain of more than 10%

not very cool, but it's super old and the rom isn't the oroginal one so what can I expect.

> Moto G5+

is this "5+" or more than 5?

when is it getting released?

just figured out it's 5 Plus hehehe

Not him, but could you tell e why Honor 6X is better than Moto G5+?

There isn't a phone with a MediaTek processor in the image you fucktard. I have no problems on mine, but your mileage may vary.
Why would you need to call customer support?
Would you mind telling us why?

>Moto G5 Plus to cost €289
WTF

LG doesn't replace boot looping phones? Anyways you should be able to get a used Galaxy S7 at around $300, probably under that once S8 is out. Honor 8 is another option I'd look at.

will it get lineageOS?

so without root can I use tasker to turn off wifi when I disconnect from my home network?

also any non root things I can do to maximize battery life with tasker?

phone is a blackphone 2 so rooting is out of the question

High chance it will.

>so without root can I use tasker to turn off wifi when I disconnect from my home network?
figured this out thanks to google

would still like some tasker stuff you guys use though

I need help guys. I want to buy BB Passport Silver and I found a one in perfect condition for roughly 260$. However, the KeyOne will be released in a month and there is a chance that many Passport owners will want to switch to it. Do you think the prices of Passports will significantly drop because of that?

No

any1 have lenovo zuk z2? is good?

HUGE discount on the Honor 8 at Newegg, 64GB model is $319 (down from $449) and 32GB is $287 (down from $399) using the promo code. Discount available today only.
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16875646004

Hey,

complete smartphone-noob here.

I'm looking for a basic smartphone under $200€ (roughly the same atm) that allows me the following:

- mobile Internet
- occasionally using it for the GPS function
- WhatsApp
- browsing the internet every now and then while I'm commuting or don't have anything else to do while not at home
- watch youtube-vids occasionally

So far I've found the Lenovo Moto G4 to have everything I need, but maybe there are even cheaper/better alternatives?

Also, what kind of data plan would I need for my occasional internet usage?
As I said, I really don't use it that much. A handful of short phone calls per week, a bit of Sup Forums browsing and WhatsApp is all I'm going to use it for.

Would appreciate if somebody could give me a few pointers here.

Cheers.

honor 8 vs a5 2017? cam/bloat/performance

I have a stock s7

What should I do to it

Oneplus 3T

Does buying Iphone 5s make sense now? Or it has or had a planned obsolence and its unusable ?

Are smart watches actually becoming viable? I keep seeing more and more (probably chink) cheap smart watches on Amazon. Is this going to be a thing?

not available here

Moto G5

I'd guess maybe 1-2gb/month with your usage if you avoid watching youtube while on mobile data

is the best around-$200 phone the G5?

Should I get a refurbished Nokia E71 or, for the same price, a new 150 or 230?

>Moto G5

Are there any big differences between Moto G4 and G5? They seem to cost about the same.

>I'd guess maybe 1-2gb/month with your usage if you avoid watching youtube while on mobile data

There is a 1.5gb/month plan available for 10€ that I have been looking at, would that cover an hour of browsing and maybe 10 minutes of youtube per day?

Might be an asinine question, but that kind of stuff is really hard to even remotely estimate for somebody who only used prepaid so far and never bothered with mobile internet before.

Who makes the best smartphone cases these days? I've heard OtterBox sucks now, but I have no idea.

>Sucks now

I have one for my shitty S5. Protected it from about a bunch of drops.

A5 2017
>waterproof
>better screen
>better battery life

Honor 8
>better camera
>way better performance
>1gb more ram
>IR blaster
>already on Nougat

>New rumors today reveal that the Mi 6 will probably come with a new improved Sony IMX400 sensor, a next-gen CMOS that usually Sony keeps for its own flagship models!

How can Zukshills even compete?

Going to get a new phone this April.

Galaxy S8+, XZ Premium or BB Keyone.

APTX + TouchWiz vs APTX + 960fps cam vs QWERTY

FUCK! this this is hard!

I'm getting an S7 soon so I was just wondering if the quality had tanked or something. I did notice a difference in durability between my old S3 Otterbox (indestructible) and my Note 3 Otterbox (dent after first drop).

Moto G5
>smaller size (5" vs 5.5")
>better build (metal, instead of plastic used on G4)
>removable battery
>fingerprint reader
>slightly less powerful

Too early to say if the camera has been improved compared to the Moto G4. Not that huge of a difference, comes down to what size phone you prefer.

Don't think 1.5gb/month will be enough with that use, 10 minutes of youtube is around 100mb.

Don't buy Sony, the build quality will be shit.

Blackberry will be shit too as Priv had a pretty good SoC but the phone was hella slow due to blackberry software bloat.

woah the g5 looks pretty neat, but why the finger print reader in the front and no capacitive buttons? that's bullshit.

I've had a Sony Z2 since release, it has survived a lot and not a single crack. Best quality phone I've ever had.

The thing that is pretty negative with the BB is the screen and slow CPU and GPU compared to Sony and Samsung.
Also it's missing APTX which I kinda need.

The quality issues starting showing up with the Z3.

How come almost none of my Sony friends have cracked screens, while most of my Samsung friends have cracked screens and flaky plastic backs?

Is it that bad?

I found the Galaxy S1-S6 to be terrible quality, while Z1 and Z2 was super quality, but now its the other way around?

S7 is good while Z5 is crap?

Your Samsung friends are less careful?

I'm not talking about the phone falling and cracking, I'm talking about the screens cracking by themselves out of nowhere.

Also most premium phones nowadays are trading resilience for glass and shit, so don't expect anything to be as resistant as your Z2 or S2 or whatever.

I've had my sony xperia for almost 4 years now and no major problems. I don't know how often I dropped that thing and the screen is still fine.

See . Had my S7 for almost a year, entirely scratch free because I don't use it like an ape.

Upstairs someone knocking like a crazy man on my door freak out phone falls 20 feet down to the floor below with case on. How did it survive? I don't even think there is a dent where it hit

This was a 3310?

Nexus 6p I actually did find the screen at the very edge on the upper left bent a little bit

enjoy waiting for your bomb

A5 2017 doesn't worth it, add like 50 bucks more and you have an s7

Should I get the S7 edge? Or wait for s8?

Don't fall for the curved screen meme m8, buy the regular s7

Z5 is faulty trash. Go for XZ.

But it's got a smaller screen how bout the pixel XL? Or these Xperia meme phones g loves them some sony

If you want a 5.5 screen go for the OnePlus 3t

S7 Edge has a bigger battery though

Because the screen is bigger, technically, the end result should be around the same. I could be talking shit tho

So what should I get?
I have Nexus 4, screen size should remain about the same, I want good battery life over 5000mph , camera quality doesn't interest me. Lots of space too. Custom ROM friendly.

Nah, the Edge does get noticeably better battery life