/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.
Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

Previous thread:

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux

>What's the alternative for x?
alternativeto.net
linuxalt.com
Search for software by category:
linuxlinks.com/Software
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page

News:
phoronix.com
webupd8.org
linuxjournal.com
lwn.net
Gaming news:
gamingonlinux.com
linuxgameconsortium.com

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games: /t/'s GNU/Linux Training Videos: Resources:
Your friendly neighborhood search engine
(try to use a search engine that respects your privacy such as qwant, searx, ixquick or startpage)
$ man
$ info
$ --help
Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros)
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Learn the command line:
linuxcommand.org/tlcl.php

Break out of the botnet:
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

Learn more about Free Software:
gnu.org

Sup Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

/fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl
p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

Other urls found in this thread:

lwn.net/Articles/676664/
reddit.com/r/linux/comments/4v116g/can_we_stop_recommending_linux_mint/
zdnet.com/article/hacker-hundreds-were-tricked-into-installing-linux-mint-backdoor/
omgubuntu.co.uk/2013/11/canonical-dev-dont-use-linux-mint-online-banking-unsecure
techrepublic.com/article/why-the-linux-mint-hack-is-an-indicator-of-a-larger-problem/
github.com/linuxmint/mintupdate/blob/master/usr/lib/linuxmint/mintUpdate/rules
github.com/linuxmint/mdm
packages.debian.org/source/jessie/mdm
arch-anywhere.org/,
bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=130309
a.doko.moe/mviqnw.png
plus.google.com/ LennartPoetteringTheOneAndOnly/posts/J2TZrTvu7vd
lkml.org/lkml/2012/7/6/495
plus.google.com/ LinusTorvalds/posts/7tp2gYWQugL
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

mfw there are freetards in this very thread posting using google botnet captcha to post on a closed source proprietary imageboard that data mines user data for profit

3rd for fuck SMGL.

inb4 sourcemage.

>mint
worst distro in existence
lwn.net/Articles/676664/

reddit.com/r/linux/comments/4v116g/can_we_stop_recommending_linux_mint/

zdnet.com/article/hacker-hundreds-were-tricked-into-installing-linux-mint-backdoor/

omgubuntu.co.uk/2013/11/canonical-dev-dont-use-linux-mint-online-banking-unsecure

techrepublic.com/article/why-the-linux-mint-hack-is-an-indicator-of-a-larger-problem/

github.com/linuxmint/mintupdate/blob/master/usr/lib/linuxmint/mintUpdate/rules

github.com/linuxmint/mdm
packages.debian.org/source/jessie/mdm

Still better than Windows. If I would post the flaws of Windows, Sup Forums would complain about max lines / post.

Arch is just a stepping stone.

Just installed diablo 2 and there's a weird bug. I got this weird white layout when I play. If I make a screenshot you see the picture normally as if there's no bug
Other games runs fine. I got this bug with playonlinux (1.9) and wine 2-3 stagging
It works fine un windowed mode

Did you just make a screenshot with your phone?

upload systemd.png on mixtape.moe

It's not Feb 20, 2016 anymore.

>If I make a screenshot you see the picture normally as if there's no bug
as said, you won't see the white layout with a normal screenshot

towards?

I will, just give me some time to regenerate the graph and to upload (it takes more time than you may think).

Except for the backdoored isos, eveything else is still valid.

Nothing. He doesn't know what he's saying.

Is this place really friendly?

Should I use Manjaro as my new distro? Currently using openSUSE

stupid bots.

anyone have trouble using wine with multimonitors?

have issues controlling the window with my monitors on, have to disable all but one to be able to use them

stupid namefag

Owned.

source magic

Yours is ToiletOrbitMama38174.

should I switch to zsh? I'm on Arch Linux using bash

‘no’

>I'm on Arch Linux
damn, I wish'd I could use it too, but the install process is just too hard for my noob skillz ;_;

I installed it using arch-anywhere.org/, it's pretty easy.
why

You sure know a lot about a distro you don't use.

zsh is alright as a more interactive command line, but not for scripting or anything else

Well, I can read. For example github.com/linuxmint/mintupdate/blob/master/usr/lib/linuxmint/mintUpdate/rules

pacman -S zsh
chsh /bin/zsh
done

>I installed it using arch-anywhere.org/, it's pretty easy.
These boards are for the support of Arch Linux, and Arch ONLY

If you have installed Archbang, Antegros, Chakra, Evo/Lution, Manjaro, Whatever, you are NOT running Arch Linux. Similarly, if you followed some random video on YouTube or used an automated script you found on a blog, you are NOT running Arch Linux, so do not expect any support, sympathy or anything but your thread being closed and told to move along.

Arch is a DIY distro: if someone else has done it for you, then showing up here asking to have your hand held for more help is just help vampirism and is not welcome.
>bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=130309

if you're asking, you probably answered your question already

I got tired of reading those links.
I'll just have to depend on my 15 years experience using linux to keep me safe. Thanks for trying to educate me, though. You seem like a real nice guy.

I'm probably gonna buy a new computer soon. I use linux 90% of the time and was wondering if it benefits a lot from an SSD.

I never felt like I would actually need one but I never tried it so I don't know if I'm gonna feel any difference

zsh is a meme made up by macfags who got greeted with an outdated bash shell, so they thing bash is shit, don't bother reading the manpage and so they install zsh, write blogs about how much more awesome zsh is and created even a whole community -> oh-my-zsh everyone on Sup Forums is praising but it's basically 70% macOS aliases and other crap you can set up yourself

that said, zsh has some averanges like, floating point math (so you don't need to use bc) and with oh-my-zsh a bunch of neat autocompletitions, which can be useful, at least when you don't know what you are doing anyway

>zsh is a meme made up by macfags
it's just one year younger than bash, faggot

(Cross-thread)
(Cross-thread)
Here you go, senpai: a.doko.moe/mviqnw.png
I couldn't upload to mixtape.moe, it kept failing.

Try both, read both manpages, use both for al leasr 10 years, then decide for yourself. :)

I'm afaid this will crash my browser.

GNU/Linux*

try this
wget -O systemd.png a.doko.moe/mviqnw.png && eog 2>/dev/null systemd.png

>smiling_pottering.png

>gnome
>texlive
no wonder it's so huge

Can the user who usually opimizes PNGs see what he can do with this please?

that's one long image

>Much of the Open Source community tries to advertise the community as one happy place to the outside. Where contributions are valued only by their technical quality, and everybody meets at conferences for beers.

>Well, it is not like that. It's quite a sick place to be in.

>I don't usually talk about this too much, and hence I figure that people are really not aware of this, but yes, the Open Source community is full of assholes, and I probably more than most others am one of their most favourite targets. I get hate mail for hacking on Open Source. People have started multiple "petitions" on petition web sites, asking me to stop working (google for it). Recently, people started collecting Bitcoins to hire a hitman for me (this really happened!). Just the other day, some idiot posted a "song" on youtube, a creepy work, filled with expletives about me and suggestions of violence. People post websites about boycotting my projects, containing pretty personal attacks. On IRC, people /msg me sometimes, with nasty messages, and references to artwork in Sup Forums style. And there's more. A lot more.

>plus.google.com/ LennartPoetteringTheOneAndOnly/posts/J2TZrTvu7vd

#StopTheBully
#PotteringDidNothingWrong

>Much of the Open Source community tries to advertise the community as one happy place to the outside. Where contributions are valued only by their technical quality,
That's literally what Open Source is meant to be.

>using hashtags
>on Sup Forums

I actually, unironically agree.

What does Pottering do? He writes free software. Which is good. Nobody is forced to use the software he is wrote. If a distribution is forcing you to use certain software, blame the distro, not him. The whole systemd meme thing went pretty much too far.

Dear Mr. Pottering,
if it makes you feel any better, I don’t know who you are, nor do I care what you do.
Regards, user.

>just spent 3 hour trying to add 60hz setting in xrandr
>had it locked to 30 in the monitor settings

>trump posting

Antergos is better it's just arch with an easy installer while manjaro is its own version of arch

You mean the "I could not help but notice your png was not optimized user. I have optimized your png. Your png is now optimized." bot?

Yes.
But if it's a bot, this wouldn't work, because it can't download the image from the link and then upload the optimized image and then post the link.

>lkml.org/lkml/2012/7/6/495
Linus is fucking savage

>references to artwork in Sup Forums style
green frogs?

50% quality, resized to 9999px jpg here
tried to compress it lossless, but it didnt went below 5 mb, and even if, the max resolution cuckoldry wouldn't allow posting it anyway

>Antergos
which one is most stable and "just werks" tho?

*hate symbols.

Nice.

>nice

Debian Jessie.

make it better faggot

both are "stable" and "just werkz"

I said that ironically.

see

>How did they noty die as babies, considering
that they were likely too stupid to find a tit to suck on?

> Linus

better read the context, then it isn't really funny

I like how he puts `*` instead of `u` as if it means something
(as if pre-teen children are gonna read the mailing lists or something)

linus being a faggot isn't new
what actually is new is plus.google.com/ LinusTorvalds/posts/7tp2gYWQugL

I'll cut you, fucking leddit

>new
git shouldn't have used sha1 in the first place
>muh speed
i know it's easy to say that *now*

>Bix nood
I hadn't seen that in a longtime.

>tech illiterates

>falling for obvious bait
take your own advice and fuck off

this, this bait is like 100 year old, but still:

>spend a few minutes putting in a command
>doesn't work
>dp-3 instead of dp-2
that was funny

>git shouldn't have used sha1 in the first place
You didn't read a single word, did you?
(1) What's the difference between using a hash for security vs using a hash for object identifiers in source control management?

Both want to use cryptographic hashes, but they want to use them for different reasons.

A hash that is used for security is basically a statement of trust: and if you can fool somebody, you can make them trust you when they really shouldn't. The point of a cryptographic hash there is to basically be the source of trust, so in many ways the hash is supposed to fundamentally protect against people you cannot trust other ways. When such a hash is broken, the whole point of the hash basically goes away.

In contrast, in a project like git, the hash isn't used for "trust". I don't pull on peoples trees because they have a hash of a4d442663580. Our trust is in people, and then we end up having lots of technology measures in place to secure the actual data.

>trust
>>>/facebook/

>git
reminds me of a question

I have a directory called .git where some projects are in, I've ln'd and I want to update them via my personal update script.

How can I update all projects in my .git directory at once? No need for compiling/installing, just updating/pulling.

pwnd

Right click the game in the playonlinux menu select 'configure wine' and check the 'emulate a virtual desktop' box.

why didn't wrote anyone an AUR2ANYWHERE script?
should be blasting easy

where did you find that photo of me?

Because that would end up in everyone relying on the AUR and Arch is shit.

Also why would you even want that? Most stuff is simply a git clone; (your package manager built command) install

>running executables by literally who
Daily reminder that the AUR, PPA's, etc are THE security whole in your system.

call the cops, idgaf

only when you don't check the source before installing, which arch users usually do (since arch users aren't some plebs)

>since arch users aren't some plebs
lmao

that's why every second thread ITT some arch users is asking how to %something_the_wiki_should_have_already_told_him

The AUR is the No.1 selling point of Arch theres literally no reason to use Arch except for the AUR.

>The AUR is the No.1 selling point of Arch theres literally no reason to use Arch except for the AUR.
thx for confirming why Arch is superior

>idgaf
what does this mean, pls no bully, i'm new

I dont' grow any flowers

Am I doing this ricing thing right?

more minimal

How can I defend myself against Arch hackers?

>using a graphical file manager
lmao, look at this looser

become a gentoo hacker