Finally switched from Windows to Linux

>Finally switched from Windows to Linux
>Take the time to learn how to use it
>Turns out its a botnet as well

Should I even bother with computers anymore at this point?

macOS Sierra on my 2016 Macbook doesn't have this problem

fuck off
install gentoo

It's not botnet.

>install gentoo

nice try nsa

Perfect security is impossible but consider that microsoft screws their users on purpose in different ways while if someone wants to mess with users of an open source program they need to make some effort.

Open source is the opposite of "i have nothing to fear because i have nothing to hide". In this case the developers are the ones showing they have nothing to hide, not the user, and the fact anyone can check the source for any reason is already a big obstacle by itself.

It may look that the source being open makes a program less secure because anyone can look for bugs and not report them. However unlike closed source, there can be more eyes than the ones who are looking for exploits, there's also the eyes of the people fixing bugs and improving the code, so yeah, the more popular the project is there's less probability an exploit may remain available. Imagine you found an exploit you're wanting to use but there's no guarantee the next week it'll keep working because it has already been patched and the updates distributed.

Some people uses the argument that the backwards compatibility is not as good on linux as on windows, but this also means it has a lot less cruft. Hell, even Xorg which is each day closer to be completely deprecated is still actively maintained!. In this sense exploits gets deprecated pretty fast on open source compared to closed source, microsoft is well know for leaving unpatched bugs disclosed to them more than three months. Who knows why they do that.

If people don't realize that these kind of posts are a coordinated effort to get people to switch away from Linux to a much. much less secure operating system (by design), then you guys are all retarded.

AFAIK the only OS not mentioned in vault7 is OpenBSD.

Other OSes actually work.

> I can't get anything else than a vanilla Windows installation to work.

Thank you for the contribution.

(same guy)

Of course any piece of software is only as good as the people bundling it. There's the case of android for example where users doesn't receive the updates from the companies that bundle android to push programmed obsolescense or just plain lazynes or for cutting costs (even if google itself does their work properly).

This reason is precisely why people should read the intentions of their software providers and the reason why i prefer transparency and knowing there's a community of people interested in using and improving the product rather than trusting blindly a company. Normally i don't have any problem with proprietary software (i use a lot if proprietary software on linux) but i have a problem with microsoft regarding windows. Ask yourself this questions: is MS a company with a good record on being ethical? Do i like how they're treating me? Do i use their products because i actually like them or because there's a lock-in?

Do your own research and think by yourself.

This. Sup Forums Sup Forums and Sup Forums are massive shill zones.

Every 'buntu flavor and derivative is actually easier to install and maintain that Windows is. Has been for a few years.

>that Windows

This typo triggers the fuck out of me. I have no idea why so many people fuck this up.

>actually easier to install

They're both easy. Installation is a one-time thing too. Maintenance and software availability is on Window's side. Deal with it.

>being proud of wasting hours getting shit to work on a broken hobby OS

Congrats, meanwhile I can actually get important stuff done with software that isn't available Shitnux.

Was NetBSD?

I hope you're a shill because it's pretty sad if you aren't

Are we all just going to have to homebrew our own operating systems just to keep the feds off our backs now?

>Maintenance and software availability is on Window's side. Deal with it.
try installing net framework 3.5 without an ISO or installation drive. The software mantains itself since windows allows a million background processes to run as updaters (GoogleUpdate) Windows, the OS has nothing to do with how up to date your shit is.

Don't assume everyone is as retarded as you. It doesn't take hours "getting shit to work," what the fuck does that even mean?

with retina display?