/wt/ watch thread

This thread is about the appreciation of watches, as well as the micro-engineering and materials engineering that are required to make a fine watch.

>Required Viewing For Newbies:
youtu.be/_2J5phyd9J4

>Strap Guide:
pastebin.com/SwRysprE

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

stores.ebay.com/gizmo-outlets/About-Us.html
medium.com/incerto/only-the-rich-are-poisoned-the-preference-of-others-c35ddf65cf68
theminimalists.com/watch/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

1st for Nineball is a faggot

Why wear on you non-dominant hand?

TO THE FASHION BOARD WITH THIS OFF TOPIC JEWELRY THREAD!!!

not what yo momma said

no u

>not what yo momma said
True. She actually said
>"My, that NineBall boy never had a girlfriend, right? That explains a lot..."

>That explains a lot...
Was she making fun of the way I fucked her? Again? There is no pleasing that woman!

>Was she making fun of the way I fucked her?
Nah she saw you sucking ArchieLuxury's dick behind the gas station for nickel, that's why she asked

Nice thread.

Hit the end of the earlier thread.

>Any thoughts? Just ordered a 241666 as a first dress watch. Previously never had anything worth more than $100.

>241666
I've read only good things about their movements, but the descriptions on their site are just horrible. Presumably we're talking about the same 241666 watch model by Victorinox;
>'Like its owner, the Alliance Watch is the strong, silent type. It flies under the radar and it never makes a fuss. But take a closer look and you’ll find details that reveal complete confidence beneath the surface. Its design is subtle and elegant. It’s there to do a job and to look good doing it. But the Alliance does more than just tell time – it tells the world that you know exactly what you’re doing.'

Lol. I never read any of the bullshit sales pitches for the watch. The look of it just really clicked with me, the specs seemed adequate, and I felt OK with the price.

Glad to hear their movements have a good rep.

how much did you pay for it? it's pretty mallcore but solid nonetheless

>good things about their movements
they just use ETA

the military time on the dial is stupid, the lume plots on the chapter ring look weird, and the seconds hand is boring. Nothing special or good-looking about the case, no texture or nice colour on the dial.
And most of all, I wouldn't want a dress watch that says "ARMY" on the dial.

pretty much what said.

Cancel the order or return it. Do your homework, and ask for advice before you buy.

Or just buy what you like. Seiko, Victorinox, no one cares but you. Makes no difference.

Yes user, make sure you seriously take into account the 'advice' from a specific niche of internet autists and their subjective opinions.

That being said, there's a lot of nice watches in that price range that are well known brands...

It's a complete fucking shitter. Cancel the order and get something less mallcore. I that price range a Seiko SARB 035 would be a much better choice.

No. Other than Orient, Seiko or a couple of micro-brands, everything else in that price range is complete shit, ESPECIALLY anything pretending to be Swiss.

Question for all the Seiko SARB owners - would you take your SARB swimming?
>inb4 'cant you afford a SARB and a diver'

I don't own one but I'd be terrified of the springbar snapping and losing the watch.

And for the sake of clarification, it's a complete shitter because:

1) The design of the watch displays a complete ignorance of watch design traditions in both the designers of it and the target demographic, hence it being mallcore as fuck.

2) The case shape is the most boring and cheap to manufacture shape with the most simplistic finishing.

3) it says "Swiss Made" on the dial when everything but the movement is made in China (consider the implications for how shitty the rest of the watch is if an ETA 2824-2 is, by itself, 50.01% of the value).

Why do this when Seiko make much better designs with much better finishing for the price?

I paid $450USD incl. shipping to Australia.

but it's says swiss there so it must be good

I do still like my selection, but I'd like to hear what alternatives from Seiko you'd recommend at the same price point (new). I have about 1-2 weeks to cancel my order before it's dispatched if you can make more compelling recommendations.

I was actually mostly keen on a Seiko beforehand, but when I did most of my shopping I was only expecting to pay ~$100. I didn't even think to re-check the Seiko/Orient lineup when I ramped up to the ~$400 range. Looking for a dressy watch with an automatic or kinetic movement.

The Seiko SARB035 is your best bet for a white, relatively dressy sports watch in that price range.

put simply: BECAUSE it is your non-dominant hand.

checking a watch requires no dexterity.

>stupidly got delivered a 20mm strap when my watches' lugs are actually 18mm

welp I was sure it's 20mm last time I measured lmao good thing it was only 10 bucks

Depends on the color of my shirt.

Watches are jewelry after all.

>a hunk of iron careened millions of miles through inky void for 800,000 years and against infinite odds smacked into our planet

>I can buy a bit of it and strap it to my wrist

are these things really meteorite or just meteorite patterned

JLC is really meteorite. Rolex has a meteorite dial too I believe.

I even found a miyota 9015 shitter with a real meteorite dial for like 900$

my meme has arrived

where did you buy it from?

got this for 17AUD

a cheeky buy

damn it's beautiful

senpai going to Jpan next week. /wt/ can advice for a watch to bring back ? G-Shock ?

How's the strap? I've read from some people that it's shit and from others that it's fine, so beats me.

However the strap is FUCKING TERRIBLE

It's like it's fucking carboard. It doesn't conform to my wrists it literally folds at right angles.

And at the moment it looks like the watch is on stilts.

It's not even leather, I've got better straps I paid $10 for. How could seiko put this on a $400 watch?

Bend the strap with your fingers so it sits better

Gizmo-outlet on ebay. He's selling it for $100 less than anyone else, long island watch or seyajapan.

Looks dodge as fuck but he's sold tons of them and there hasn't been one negative comment. WUS will vouch for him too.

lose weight fatass

>that fake girl

camera angles my man, that's a 38mm watch

That dog is comin' to get a hot dog

this to be quite honest

>Gizmo-outlet
link

What watch is this thai hooker wearing?

stores.ebay.com/gizmo-outlets/About-Us.html

Looks like a ladies patek nautilus to me.

I thought it might be that but then I thought how the hell would a random thai hooker have that kind of money or the will to buy a patek.

Alpinist came with tags all in Japanese, a completely Japanese manual and a warranty card.. also completely in Japanese saying "This warranty only valid in japan".

So seller is legit.

The warranty card is stamped with "Amazon.co.jp" so the seller is likely reselling them on ebay.

Although I don't know how he's making a profit when they're 50,000 Yen and he's selling for less than that.

Pretty watch, but it's for big guys with strong arms.

JDM Seikos

>spend all of your money on steroids
>can't even afford an eta shitter

I don't know why they went with the white lacquer dial(?) JLC Perpetual Calendar instead of the meteorite in that new Doctor Strange movie. Seems like having a meteor dial seems more fitting IMO.

You overpaid.

Vintage Seikos. You can get them for a song over there.

>Literal lug overhang

3hueg5yuez!

>E, SE, S, SW, W ...
Does it have a compass or just a strange sense of aesthetics?

>first dress watch

Orient
B A M B I N O
A
M
B
I
N
O

>bagel

compass

>tfw too intelligent to spend over $350 on a watch

medium.com/incerto/only-the-rich-are-poisoned-the-preference-of-others-c35ddf65cf68

theminimalists.com/watch/

>They lose control of their preferences, substituting constructed preferences to their own, complicating their lives unnecessarily

Helgray Hornet on massdrop for less than retail price, worth it?

>guy makes 27,000 at 31
>bought luxury watches in the past, presumably on credit because he claims that he has saved more this year than ever before
>wonders why he was unhappy with purchases that he cannot afford

what's the correct search term for the 90s Alpinists?

the bezel rotates so that you can use it as a makeshift compass, by aligning the hour hand with the position of the sun. It's pretty much useless and just there for looks.

>41mm
lmao

kys you obsessing over millimeters body image disorded cuck

I mean size, it's too big for usual arms. Of course, when it's expensive it's pretty.

No u.

a couple millimeters make a big difference particularly in a dress watch

it's just too big for a dress watch

What is the cocktail time for? It's too big and flashy for dress and too formal for work.

Cocktail time, obviously

Best place to buy watch repair parts? Best place to buy parts for seikos?

literally for cocktails
you're dressed nicely but not in a tuxedo, you don't want a sports watch but not something too understated either
you're standing up with a glass in your hand and talking to people

That first article is the single biggest steaming pile of bullshit flyover plebbery defensive cognitive dissonance I've ever read in my life.

First of all, it is actually the desperately aspirational middle class who have their preferences dictated to them by advertising. The wealthy are wealthy enough to be as idiosyncratic as they damn well please, while it is those desperate to climb the social ranks who feel they must be brand and status conscious. They also are not typically actually hobbyists of the things they buy, making them prime targets for advertising (this is why it is pleb-catcher brand that spend the most on advertising).

Secondly, it is typical pleb thinking to claim that their lack of interest or ability to appreciate a particular hobby or art form means it's actually all affected bullshit. This is just like idiots claiming that sports cars are pointless because their shitty economy car with get you from A to B. Just because HE was too much of a pleb to appreciate haute cuisine doesn't mean the rest of us are.

The whole article is just a string of pitiful rationalizations to try and paper over his seething jealousy and buthurt, exactly like your typical flyover dadcore Amerifat making fun of hipsters to hide his seething resentment. If he actually believed any of that nonsense he would not have felt compelled to shout about it to everyone else in a desperate effort to convince himself.

So, they're fairly well off guys pretending to be poor?

mmmmmk

The actual design of the watch and the dial to case ratio matters even more.

Case diameter is literally the CPU clock rate of watches, idiots obsess over it, but it's not the be all end all of watch sizes.

I can also vouch for them, I bought my SARB033 from there.

> screwdown crowns

What's this I hear about seiko chapter ring misalignment?

Archie was saying recently he's disappointed in seiko as their QC has slipped as not all of their watches are Japanese made now.

Does anyone here other than lawyeranon actually own a JLC?

I'm looking at various pieces in their dress watch range. I know the history and significance of the company. Just looking for any first hand accounts?

AC00005W is good.

wich watch would you buy with 25 bucks

At 40-50 I'd get either a dw5600 or one of the many Seiko 5 designs.

At 25 I probably wouldn't buy anything.

Almost bought one last summer, but ended up getting a Mark XVIII instead.

They're nice watches. Main reason I didn't get one was because of the lack of versatility. Too dressy - not that good with a t-shirt or a NATO strap.

Timex Weekender, I guess

Just suck it up and get an SNK80X. They're like $50 on amazon right now

This is $40

Hmm yeah that's kind of the point though for me. I want the dress watch. I want the class and prestige associated with a dress watch.

Definitely not gonna be putting a NATO on one.

How do you like the IWC? Any pics?

orient bambino

Too big.

>diameter 39 mm vs 40,5 mm
>lug to lug 45,5 mm vs 46 mm
definitely too big

Mate stop shilling this you are putting me off Orient I already own a Ray I don't need a dress watch from them. Also A dress watch is about clean form and simplicity. Not "Water Resist" scrawled across the dial

so one of these just came up relatively cheap (2.5k), its the ugliest fucking thing in the world but i'm strangely drawn to it. Is this the ultimate "collectors" watch? i cant imagine actually wearing it where people could see.