FreeBSD vs OpenBSD

Hey guys I'm new to BSD and would like your opinions?
I installed OpenBSD on my x200 with libreboot yesterday and wasn't impressed at all...
Slower performance than Debian on the same machine, no packages and still have to get wireless working. Also no fucking info if you ran into troubles. Is it worth it for the security it offers? Is FreeBSD more user-friendly?

Other urls found in this thread:

forums.freebsd.org/threads/52311/
reddit.com/r/openbsd/comments/2nq8xp/how_do_i_get_wireless_working_on_a_laptop/cmtk90a/
people.freebsd.org/~bz/200805DevSummit/IMG_7796-s.JPG
wiki.freebsd.org/Graphics
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

> Only two remote holes in the default install, in a heck of a long time!

OpenSSH, OpenBGPD, OpenNTPD, OpenSMTPD, OpenIKED, mandoc, LibreSSL

and you say it's slow? then go fak install mint.

>Also no fucking info if you ran into troubles.
read the FAQ and man pages

You can wipe your ass with them.

>pls spoonfeed me
go back to linux mint

I love OpenBSD but I'd never recommend it for desktop. Especially someone new to the BSD's.

Firewalling & CARP are fucking unreal though.

I am the sour grape today.

>OpenBSD
>Security
lol
Try HardenedBSD if you want real security

Oh, fuck off you little shit.
> x is the most secure because I read it on Sup Forums

>people actually taking hardenedbsd seriously
what's next, you're gonna tell me to use libertybsd?

This is the same with OpenBSD. Nobody cares about its security, just their devs.

Man pages often doesn't describe a specific problem.

I tried it with i3wm and the X200 isn't my main machine, wouldn't use it daily. But I really felt overwhelmed with BSD cause it is quite different to Linux.
What would you recommend to start out with?

Honestly, and you will hear a lot of nay-saying faggots on here, but a good transitory distro in moving to BSD is Slackware.

That's what the tranny told my on his site...
And i think, it actually makes sense if you are running Libreboot.
But I don't want to run a OS with 10 users.

t. openbsd dev

you would be better to try gentoo or crux

Use -current and it will be as fast as Debian. I installed it last week on my latitude and everything works fine.

Dude BSD isn't for you if you don't want spend a lot of time reading man pages. That's practically all I do with my BSD system. The file structure and commands can be a tiny bit different that you HAVE to read man pages. If you install a bash shell you can probably work around that a lot if you're use to linux distro's but I found I needed to take a course in unix + printing files and man pages to navigate around BSD

You would be better to fuck off.

I liked openbsd, lot of Linux forums can find general info. Freebsd is OK, more heavy distribution tho. Openbsd certainly not the fastest

>You would be better to fuck off.
wow dude, i didn't know your transgenderism made you aggressive.

lmao don't use libertybsd unless you want a crippled computer

openbsd will NOT download non-free firmware unless your computer needs it to work

>But I don't want to run a OS with 10 users.
libertybsd has 1 and thats its developer that gets laughed out of every mailing list

can you explain?
>Use -current

Yes your are right I underestimated BSD, after getting a little bit better with Linux I thought I can
unix but thats a different story...

Why would Gentoo help me to get better with BSD?

its inspired by freebsd's ports system

>Yes your are right I underestimated BSD, after getting a little bit better with Linux I thought I can
>unix but thats a different story...
It's not that different, it's all the same scheme just a different implementation. Files can be named or structured a bit differently, and switches for commands might be different, or just not there. I don't want to tell someone it's not for you but it's a pretty big beast to figure out. If I NEEDED a working pc I would of just skipped over it in favor of a different OS but figuring out how to work it has been a pretty good learning experience.

Once you use the BSD's, you can see just what a fuck up Linux is how its put together.

He fell for the BSD meme.

>can you explain?

The -current branch of OpenBSD is what the devs use. Here's the three branches of OpenBSD:

1. Release: This is frozen from the -current branch every six months. The current release is 6.0.

2. Stable: Same as the Release branch, but includes security patches that you will either have to install manually, or use the third party MTier service.

Using binary packages is recommnded in the OpenBSD FAQ, but for the above branches the binary packages will never be updated. The binaries are only updated for a new release. For a desktop user, you won't be getting updates, even security ones with the binary packages. In this case, you will need to use the ports tree and compile things such as firefox, your pdf reader, etc.

3. Current: Rolling release, always includes the latest binaries, so you will be up to date and patched. This is also where improvements are being implemented. If a user is having issues with the above branches, they might be recommended to use this one. OpenBSD separates the base system and user installed packages though, so you will need to download a snapshot, and do an upgrade of the base system every week or so.

Also, RTFM. I learned all this shit in about a week while working full time. Once you get into the groove, OpenBSD isn't hard to maintain, but as a long-time linux user who's used gentoo extensively, it was definately intimidating at first.

Yesterday?

Try using it seriously for a week or two.

You're still new to OpenBSD. I'm sure you gave Debian more time than that.

After you pull your hair out for awhile, you can start posting about how shitty BSD is in BSD-shill threads, only to be called a liar, and told if you actually had installed it, you'd know how awesome it is.

>that victim complex
lmao

It's exactly what happens.

Not that user, but look at any *BSD thread in the archives. All of them attract license trolls, which kills the thread each time. It's really sad, as the *BSDs are great Unix-derived systems. You can do a full openbsd install with true full-disk encryption and Xenocara (their version of Xorg) in a couple of minutes.

How the fuck do you go about getting a GUI installed? I've tried everything from the FreeBSD handbook, and I even tried cheating by using the TrueOS installer. Nothing seems to work.

start by actually telling us what you did

forums.freebsd.org/threads/52311/
Then I installed slim login manager and xfce4 using the handbook. No matter what I do, xorg fails and sends the system into a perpetual cycle of reboots.

>don't do what the official documentation tells you to do
first mistake already, try to get the VESA stuff to work at least first before attempting the nvidia stuff

also lol nvidia

>>don't do what the official documentation tells you to do
I did though,like thirty times.It always results in a no display detected error.
>also lol nvidia
It works on Linux! Thanks though, I'll see if I can get VESA working.

>It works on Linux! Thanks though, I'll see if I can get VESA working.
it would work better on BSD if they bothered actually helping out the devs

but no they'd rather keep everything proprietary

OPENBSD
P
E
N
B
S
D

It's better, less cucked, and the CIA doesn't own it.

Oh come on, stop with this bullshit.
Intel and AMD both have open source drivers, yet none of their chips after 2013 are supported.
It's time to admit FreeBSD can't into graphics for shit.

so because AMD and Intel's chips from after 2013 apparently don't work, that makes it fine for nvidia to be a pain in the ass to work with?

Try TrueOS or GhostBSD.

>so because AMD and Intel's chips from after 2013 apparently don't work
Well, apparently they work just fine on Linux. But FreeBSD devs would rather be gay with their Macs than actually port a recent version of DRM. Again, all of this is open source so it shouldn't be a problem. Up to this point, the preferred solution was to hand-wave everything and suggest using an nvidia card, but that doesn't work any more, it seems.

>that makes it fine for nvidia to be a pain in the ass to work with
I'm not disputing that nvidia is probably the shittiest company on earth, but really, they are not the sole problem in FreeBSD's graphics stack.

it's the other way around, so:

FREEBSD
R
E
E
BSD
S
D

Only posting this because you seem unaware of the general bsd anti-mentality which goes like "lol u dont need dat"

average bsd shit only "uses" bsd for "CS stuffs" which means autistically linking parts of the system to itself, since there's no software to use. they are all neo-luddites stuck in the mid 90s. the way to understand this is, yes if this is all you do, you don't "need" anything above a 486 or any other 25 year old hardware. This is the entire anti-mentality around bsd and its total lack of software and drivers. Specifically towards your post, if you were to just throw out desktops and be "hardcore", then you'd have no need for any graphics drivers. see how this works? Sure... if you just throw out all the software, then why bother with drivers. But also why fucking bother with an OS.

>all shitty forks of existing software that only OpenBSD tards care about except for openssh, which has been getting shittier

fucking move on with your life already

Intel officially supports FreeBSD and has just started a more serious cooperation with FreeBSD. Please get your shit straight

>fucking move on with your life already
fucking move on with your life already

Okay now it makes more sense.
I am currently using the stable branch and using the current branch sounds definitely better. I will look into it.

Yes I will give it more time.

Sounds like a bright future, looking forward to it!

I also have a Libreboot specific problem where grub won't boot into BSD. I can boot it via command line, by entering:
> kopenbsd -r sd0a (ahci0,openbsd1)/bsd
> boot

This is really annoying!
I tried to make a grub config following the instruction on the Libreboot site.
On my BSD root partition I created /grub with a file libreboot_grub.cfg containing:
>default=0 timeout=3 menuentry "OpenBSD" {
> kopenbsd -r sd0a (ahci0,openbsd1)/bsd
>}

But it don't behave like described:
>The next time you boot, you'll see the old Grub >menu for a few seconds, then you'll see the a >new menu with only OpenBSD on the list. After >3 seconds OpenBSD will boot, or you can hit >enter to boot.

It just shows old grub menu for two seconds and selects the first option "Load Operating System".
Resulting in pic related.

I also tried to make the menu entry in the grubtest.cfg on my flashchip using flashrom.
But when i use the quoted lines to make the entry and use the grubtest.cfg it shows no new entry for BSD.

stop trying to convince people in general that bsd is worth using when in order to do so you have to get them circlejerking daily with you on your shit IRC channel to ignore this massive lack of software. Or how about forget that since we can't even get to a desktop because there aren't any drivers for a 4 year old card.

Even the linux community ca. 2003 - 2006 when it was up and coming and generally in the same situation where there were large parts of it missing, was not this retarded.

Reason why BSD is shit now, and always will be shit, is because they are anti-progress. every bsd distro has a "hardware list". do you not see how bad this is? this might as well be called the "lol u dont need dat" list.

isn't BSD support in libreboot new anyway

the tranny would ban anyone who would dare bring up BSD compatibility in the IRC channel before, but i guess because he thinks the GNU project somehow cares, he wants it to support BSD now

anyway, maybe you can chainload openbsd instead

yeah right i guess the linux community in 2003-2006 didn't upload videos on youtube called "CAN WINDOWS DO THIS?!?!" and all they were showing was spinning cubes

And yet FreeBSD still doesn't support Broadwell, Skylake, and Kaby Lake iGPU. Please get YOUR shit straight.

>anime
lol u dont need dat

Will look into chainloading, don't know if it's new...
Hope they get it working with encryption, would make a nice setup for tinfoil hats like me.

>no packages
openbsd has like 9500 packages. what packages do you need. the only really glaring omission is wine

I better don't tell you cause it was really trivial...
Nevertheless it more comfy to have bigger repositories with many packages included.

no judging here. just curious.

Fucking Screenfetch, I really wanted to see the puffyfish!

screenfetch is literally a bash script you can just download from the author's github

it's a piece of shit though, it only runs with bash

I know i got it working, with bash.

But still somehow I can't get my wireless working.
I created a file in /etc named hostname.athn0 containing:
>nwid WifiName
>wpakey Password
>dhcp

But during boot it says:
>ath0: no link ......... sleeping

What am I doing wrong?

are you sure it's athn or ath? run dmesg and post it here if you can

or at least tell us if there's something

if it's really athn you need a firmware, by the way

third line says athn0.

I also tried:
>nwid="WifiName"
>wpakey="Password"
>dhcp

During boot it says:
>ifconfig: nwid="WifiName": bad value
>ifconfig: wpakey="Password": bad value

Which is to be expected, but it does not put athn0 to sleep. It also connects me to eduroam automatically, when i use Firefox I am presented with the login screen. So my wireless is working and it seems like i have firmware.
I just can't connect to my Wifi.

can you run fw_update with the ethernet connected just to be sure

does "ifconfig athn0 scan" display anything?

is your wifi using wpa1/tkip? that could be a problem if you're on -current (they're disabled due to poor security... all you have to do is re-enable tkip on the laptop but better would be to switch your ap to wpa2)

i looked up what eduoram was and i don't think he's in control of the network

I did run fw_update, still no connection
"ifconfig athn0 scan" shows all the networks if i run it as su.

i read it as "my wifi" being at home versus eduroam elsewhere. which suggests there's something up with his home ap. makes sense as i literally have the same hostname.iwn0 file as him (the one without =) and it works on my network.

googled around and found this
reddit.com/r/openbsd/comments/2nq8xp/how_do_i_get_wireless_working_on_a_laptop/cmtk90a/
have you tried this?

that will be the same as putting those lines in hostname.athn0

just do it

can you paste the line for your network from the scan?

not op. i mean it. it is identical.

did it.

you are right sir.
>athn0: no link ........ sleeping

although it's a quicker turnaround for testing than rebooting and waiting for hostname.athn0 to be read, so i guess it's actually good advice. but the op's network is already correct for your typical "wpa2 + psk" home network. what's going on must be something different, either his ap is not wpa2+psk or there's something really weird going on with his driver (not likely since he can connect to eduroam apparently)

not exactly pasting but should do the trick...

which one is yours?

MissionControl

trailing space.
try ifconfig nwid 'MissionControl ' ...

>That's what the tranny told my on his site...

People are actually this fucking dumb?

HardenedBSD is just a repackaged FreeBSD but with all the hardened security patches.

You sir, are my hero!

jesus christ that might just be it

It was it!

One of the advantages of a spartan computing lifestyle is that it allows the possibility to use just about any operating system, including OpenBSD.
The hardware on my laptop is all supported, and the essentials are all present for my pastimes -- programming, shitposting, chinese cartoons. Couple that with peace of mind from added security, and a clean conscience from free and open software -- the perfect environment is achieved.

Once you learn to simplify, you really can enjoy true freedom.
Also CIA niggers tongue my anus

I was talking about LibertyBSD.

I established for FreeBSD my everyday rig which I use in Gentoo: i3, urxvt, pcmanfm, vim and so on. I worked with Odoo, I created a headless vm in bhyve - in Linux I use kvm - with a dev server and used rsync to copy work files from host machine in order to test it.

The main problem of FreeBSD is a lack of drivers and an observable lack of desktop drivers, kernel scheduler even after tuning is less responsible to GUI actions than the Linux kernel.

In other words, BSD is a nice experience as an alternative unix-like system, but it's less usable than Linux as a desktop workstation.

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you’re referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I’ve recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.
Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called “Linux”, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project. There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use.
Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine’s resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called “Linux” distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

What the FUCK are you talking about? I'm running it right now

this is a bad meme, nobody cares about gnu
normal humans just say linux

Are you running VESA, SCFB, or the actual Intel driver?
Because out of those three, only the Intel driver has acceleration, which is the point.

GNU is important
It's had a huge effect in contribution to computers, BSD is really the only nix that rivals it, proprietary OS will come and go but these ones will be around much longer and when ms or apple drop support for whatever os they're using most of those machines OS will get over written with BSD or gnu software.

Nobody uses FreeBSD.

people.freebsd.org/~bz/200805DevSummit/IMG_7796-s.JPG

The actual intel driver on 3 1920x1080 screens

You do realize every single FreeBSD developer has at least two FreeBSD machines alongside the macbook, which is often used for conferences exclusively. Gnn, for example, has a thinkpad running FreeBSD 12.0-CURRENT and a macbook which he uses for conference talks.

I doubt this.

So I gather this page is complete bullshit?
wiki.freebsd.org/Graphics

Good to know.

The wiki is at least a couple of years out of date in some cases, but i am running 12.0-CURRENT, so it might be accurate for 11.0? Doubt it though.

Good for you. Some day you'll actually write a line of code and maybe get a chance to hang out with some of these people. You'd be surprised how many Linux devs have macbooks aswell, but obviously don't use them for development