Well Sup Forums, I have a problem

Well Sup Forums, I have a problem.

I fucked up and got a monitor with a connection that, despite my best efforts, I cannot seem to get to work. It uses USB-C / DisplayPort passthrough, giving it video and power at the same time. Unfortunately, I can't seem to find any adapters or combination of adapters that will let me go from HDMI or DisplayPort and power to USB-C.

Would it be possible to go from DisplayPort to USB-C, plug that USB-C into a hub, plug a second USB-C from that hub into my computer, then plug the monitor into the hub? Would that give it video and power? I think it would, but I'm not certain.

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/Plugable-DisplayPort-Chromebook-Thunderbolt-3840x2160/dp/B01EXKDRAC
amazon.com/gp/product/B01C83BE06/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
sg.carousell.com/p/usb-type-c-thunderbolt-3-hub-with-hdmi-73213528/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

what the fuck?

What is so shocking, user?

What is the monitor, OP?

Model number/brand?

Return it, and don't be a retard next time.

how retarded are you OP?

amazon.com/Plugable-DisplayPort-Chromebook-Thunderbolt-3840x2160/dp/B01EXKDRAC

ASUS MB169C+
amazon.com/gp/product/B01C83BE06/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Given the other options I figured that they were all USB and that I could simply go from 3.0 directly to usb-c. Didn't realize that it was using the USB-c as a displayport + power passthrough.

I can't return it for at least a week so I'd prefer to try getting it functioning

user, that won't work. That'll give it video, but not power, hence my hub question.

no
sounds like your type c port is just that and doesn't actually support proper video over type c

and as for video to type c adapters you're kinda SoL for that stuff, the bulk of adapters are all the other way around.

Thanks! Been looking for a monitor like this for a project.

In other news, you're fucked.

One of the biggest advents of USB 3.1 was the ability to use "alt modes" which allows for alternative protocols over the connection. In this case, Displayport over USB. This is something that has to be baked into the actual chipset/USB controller of the machine/hardware itself, and as far as I am aware, nobody has made an external USB 3.1 controller to convert USB 3.0 Type-C to USB 3.1 Type-C.

>That'll give it video, but not power, hence my hub question.
Then buy a thunderbolt 3 hub. You realize they make these things for the macbooks with a single thunderbolt 3 port? And next time stop making retarded buying decisions, from the product page

sg.carousell.com/p/usb-type-c-thunderbolt-3-hub-with-hdmi-73213528/

>from the product page

This only works in the user's device has Thunderbolt 3...
Which if he had, it wouldn't be a problem for him to use the monitor. Because Thunderbolt 3 allows for Displayport Alt-Mode

Well, right, I figured that much out. My plan was to use the alternate mode, not to work around it.

That thing is nearly 100 bux and goes to thunderbolt, not C. Who knows if it'd even work? Just because they're the same physically doesn't mean that they are interchangeable.

>That thing is nearly 100 bux

stop crying that you made poor buying decisions and are now paying for it.

>stop crying that you made poor buying decisions and are now paying for it.
lmao
I bought the wrong thing and am attempting to work around it. Worst-case scenario, I can go without an extra monitor for a week and then return it. You want to talk about poor buying decisions? How about an adaptor that costs half as much as the monitor itself.

If
won't work then I'll just see if I can splice a USB-C cable I have with a 3.0 for power, or return the monitor.

>How about an adaptor that costs half as much as the monitor itself.
stop buying cheap monitors and crying when you have to spend money on expensive cables because you couldnt be bothered to see if you could even drive it from your shitbox

For real, why are you getting so mad about this?
If you think that 200 dollars is cheap for a USB monitor then you have absolutely no concept of the value of a dollar. I'm not crying, I'm just refusing to do something that is so expensive that it's a non-option. If I can't find or make a fix, I'll just return it and get the correct model.

There's an incentive for using this one instead of the 3.0 one, though- this one won't have to take up CPU cycles to shit the signal through USB.

>There's an incentive for using this one instead of the 3.0 one, though- this one won't have to take up CPU cycles to shit the signal through USB.
you've never used a true USB monitor/vga adapter have you? enjoy your mouse lag.

Yeah, exactly. That's what I'm trying to avoid if at all possible. It'd be a possible upside to the fuckup if I could avoid that.
I'm using it for programming, so worst come to worst some delay isn't too bad.

if you have a hdmi or display port on your whatever why the fuck dont you just buy a normal monitor

I wanted something light and designed for portability so I could easily throw it in my backpack and use it with my laptop. I wasn't able to find anything that checked those boxes that was powered with USB but that used HDMI for video.