Not using an ibm model m

>not using an ibm model m

Why? Cheaper than cherrys, imesurably better.

Its simply stupid to go for anything else.

Other urls found in this thread:

pckeyboard.com/page/Misc/MEM
ebay.com/itm/IBM-1391401-Buckling-Spring-Clicky-Keyboard-MODEL-M-DIN5-AT-Date-7-09-91-Vintag-/182484500159?hash=item2a7cec7ebf:g:I-0AAOSwsW9YwwBy
modelfkeyboards.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Because every time I go into a battlestation blog and see some empty 20-something's shiny new IKEA pamphlet setup with one of those crusty old pieces of shit as the centerpiece this is the first thing that comes to mind

hipster faggot

Because it's bigger than a fucking whale and looks monstrously hideous too.

this to be quite honest

this is actually a pretty shitty keyboard.

As a followup, because I'm bored:
There's nothing wrong with liking the Model M or old technology in general, it's a fun hobby.

But keyboard hipsters are the scum of the Earth, and we all know you chose an M because it was a meme with that big, shiny (You)s-guaranteed IBM logo on it rather than because you genuinely liked it. It's a form of hardware virtue signalling for shit typists playing pretend oldfag.

because I like having a meta key

>cheaper than Cherries
In what planet? Did you see eBay prices?

>not using a model f

does the f stand for fucking huge

Fucking huge
Fucking heavy and
Fucking better than model m

Model M means membrane. It is a cheaper version of the prior model.
The older model F uses capacitive switches. I assume the F is for Farad, the unit for electrical capacitance.

>those arrow keys
>those keys with no labels
Now this is tryhard.

I can't find them cheap, but I do have a Dell at101w.

unicomp

Is this bait or ignorance?

Neither.
Here is the membrane of a Model M:
pckeyboard.com/page/Misc/MEM
The buckling springs activate the contacts in this membrane. It is of good quality for a membrane, stuck or inoperative keys almost always are so for other reasons.

The Model F operates with a capacitive membrane. The keys do not touch contacts and they are more durable. The switches themselves are also better.

Because i have a RT3200 instead. There is no mech TKL with a trackpoint.

Consider modding it, or buy some spares. I am without a TrackPoint because my T60 was stolen from my home (Third World problems) and my standard mouse is driving me crazy.

>membrane
absolutely not. I'll stick to my silent topre clones that cost the same and are more reliable.

im not a faggot hipster

>cheaper than cherrys
yeah... no. a used IBM Model M in acceptable condition would cost me 100€-150€ on ebay

I am using one

The Model M is too big. I wouldn't mind a Model M SSK but I'm sure as hell not paying $300 for one. Unicomp has been promising a remake for years and never delivered. If they do deliver one day, I'll get one. In the meantime I'm using Topres and MX Blacks.

Sam?

no ps/2 port

this so fully

prime example from last thread

Unicomps are pretty good too. The casing on the keyboards leaves a lot to be desired, but the keys feel nice.

best setup

>my T60 was stolen from my home (Third World problems)

Thank you for the laugh.

Fpbp

How can you use this thing? There's no windows/super key.

>tfw everyone in my local tech slack has one too

I had one.

I prefer both Cherry and Topre boards by comparison.

Model M is too big, too loud, too stiff, ugly as shit, doesn't have n-key rollover. Buckling springs are mechanically better than Cherry switches, but that doesn't make up for the other drawbacks.

What do you use your windows/super key for, that can't also be done with other keyboard shortcuts?

>vapenation
>thinkpad
>old as fuck keyboard
>windows 7

this is pretty much Sup Forums

Atrocious blade runner poster, truly terrible.

Model M for "M'lady".

In Windows 10:
- starting applications fast (win + app name)
- switching workspaces (win + alt + left/right arrow)
- quick shutdown, sleep, restart, sign out (win + x + u)

I understand you could make custom shortcuts, but why did they feel like not including the buttons. It's wasted space imo.

Just got a big boy job, thinking about getting a MacBook
I like it but I've been thinking about selling it
Might get this Akira print by godmachine to replace it

who the fuck uses this anyways? i can't remember the last time I've touched it

>- switching workspaces (win + alt + left/right arrow)
I mean win + ctrl + left/right arrow

And why the fuck are you using Windows 10?

I need to develop a Windows application using C# in Visual Studio for my job.

That does not mean you are limited to Windows 10.

>What other people do those things?! I surely don't!

- Sup Forums

Seriously though, I'm what you would consider a power user. i run servers, VMs (as a hobby though) CAD software, office software (work related) and all kinds of different operating systems. I even pray to Terry every night before bed but I have yet to come across an OS (or a DE) that puts the super key to good use. Face it, it is expendable.

>Cheaper than cherrys

no

ebay.com/itm/IBM-1391401-Buckling-Spring-Clicky-Keyboard-MODEL-M-DIN5-AT-Date-7-09-91-Vintag-/182484500159?hash=item2a7cec7ebf:g:I-0AAOSwsW9YwwBy

Yes

b-but, i am user

>ps/2 connector

no

Buy an adapter then you stupid fuck.

my 2015 gaymen trademark meme board has a ps/2 port

Disgusting. Dirty. Edgy as fuck.

GOAT-TIER

Topre is infinitely superior.

mfw no wireless

why don't I just buy a nice new keyboard that just works you pretentious hipster fuck

Holy shit. Kys.

Because Model M's and F's rarely ever fail.
Alps become worthless when they get dirty
Cherry's are scratch as fuck
Topre is glorified dome.

Windows 10 is the only version with native workspaces. I have no problems with the OS, disabled everything I didn't want.

Ye ok enjoy your botnet

you argued that it's not cheaper and lost

I thought litterally every not slav level board had a combination ps/2 keyboard and mouse port?

Modern motherboards are moving more and more away from shipping with PS/2. It's an unfortunate annoyance. Still, I expect it to get less and less common to have a PS/2 port as time goes on, making anything connected via it have a pretty set life without conversion.

Converting PS2 to USB is easy enough anyway, it's no excuse to buy a shittier keyboard when Model M's are readily available for good prices.

is that a wireless mouse?

God forbid someone trying to make a living as efficiently as possible. get the fuck out of here

yeh im not paying more than 100$ for a fucking keyboard i dont give an absolute zero fuck if it clickity clacks or not.

START
does it work?
if yes then buy
if no then keep digging through the garbage.

no windows key
also they're expensive as fug here

Yes it's an MX Master

mx kys

That's funny, you act like you belong here when you're the one running windows 10

>trash speakers
>trash bottom of barrel IKEA furniture

>>best setup
wewlad

Brand new Model M's from Unicomp warehouse liquidations are $80 and used M's are even cheaper on ebay.

>bottom of barrel ikea furniture

thats a Micke you pricke RRP200USD

They're studio monitors, definitely not trash.
And that's a dinner table, not a shitty cheap ikea desk.

well, they're trash studio monitors

IDONTCAREABOUTYOURSHITTYFUCKINGKEYBOARDBRO

So why are you in this thread?
Fuck off.

I doubt you've ever used these specific ones, but you are entitled to your opinion.

why not?

im sorry i thought this was america

Actually works pretty damn well for a wireless mouse.

The second scroll wheel is a fucking game changing functionality in that it will most certainly end up on my list of requirements for the next mouse i buy when it ends up kicking the dust.

Also, you can just plug in a mini-usb to basically turn it into a wired mouse. Conveniently placed in a spot where it actually makes sense no less.

You stated you don't care about Model M's, yet here you are in a Model M related thread.

modelfkeyboards.com/