/hpg/ - Headphone General

>Headphone purchase advice
pastebin.com/fYZLW7Ub

Please put some effort into your requests and questions.

If you dislike a suggestion, explain why and try giving a better suggestion to whomever asked.

>Sup Forums wiki headphone FAQ:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Headphones

Telegram: t.me/headphone_general

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

chiru.no:8081/stream.flac
usbdisruptor.com/dirty-usb-power/
etymotic.com/consumer/earphones/er4-new.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Fuck off with this anime shit, go back to Sup Forums retard.

Anime headphone girls have been a thing longer than you've been able to ejaculate. Rip the headfi thread.

Posting this here because this guy sounds like he knows his shit and i hope he responds

Nothing is in stock on the website, they state that most everything is ordered on demand. Most non-amazon stores work like this. When you buy an SSD from Dell it's western digital that is shipping it to you.
I don't know. Anyway, back to my original post.
You were able to tell me the frequency range that I like and it's relation to the sound of the dt990, which is great, thanks. What headphones do you think emphasize that sound the most? You kind of went on a bit of a tangent saying that the energy is in 1-4khz and then talked about the common 9-10khz peak.

I understand there is a TON of other things beside the frequency response though. Surely there must be a few headphones that excel at delivering that range.

Sounds like you're just mad anime girls don't wear your headphones.

I would pay such good money to have a qt get the scent of her hair on my headphones

Does anyone have an opinion about the Lindy Premium Hi-Fi headphones?
They look like Brainwavz HM5 but half the price for me at 80€.
I just want well isolating headphones that make me forget about my surroundings irl with decent sound.

She's a smoker.

It'd just make them smell of ashtrays.

Are there portable foldable headphones with the same levels of comfy and sound as the Beyerdynamic DT250?

M40X with DT250 Pads

Hey /hpg/, I'm looking for a pair of earbuds. Here's my filled template:

>Budget
$25 or less. Fine with going to $30 for a really good deal. $30 is absolute hard limit
>Location
United States
>Source
Phone and MP3 player
>Type of headphone
Earbuds or IEMs (I don't really know the difference, just want something small)
>Open or closed
N/A
>Comfort level
Pretty important, but OK with less comfortable earbuds for better sound quality.
>Sound signature
Anything that isn't shitty, to be honest
>Past headphones
N/A

I would appreciate any suggestions

>Anime headphone girls have been a thing longer than you've been able to ejaculate.
I need to save that. 10/10.

Vsonic GR02 Bass Edition

Current headphones: Audio Technica ATH-M35, just died.

Closed: Absolute must. Paper-thin walls.

Comfort > Sound quality:
willing to sacrifice a bit of sound quality for comfort as I'll be sleeping with them. Though the ATH-M35 was uncomfortable and I've been sleeping fine with them, I'd prefer something comfortable for once.

Will be plugging them into my PC.

Price:
Preferrably $200 and below, but not terribly important. Budget is $400 max.

Currently looking at:
Sennheiser HD 380 Pro ~$150
Bose Quiet Comfort 25 ~$300
Bose Quiet Comfort 35 ~$350

What would you recommend?

>4 anime ops in a row

Should I go with the Brainwavz HM5 or M40X for running/gym/cycling headphones? I'm leaning towards the M40X because they have the removable cord but I've heard that the HM5 are more comfortable.

Internet FLAC Radio chiru.no:8081/stream.flac

There's real kawaii shit playing

Neither. You don't want over ears for gym/running as you get sweaty, and isolation whilst cycling both puts you at danger, and makes you a danger to others.

Just get some good IEMs. Dont use anything other than earbuds/on ears/over ears for cycling.

anime website

Nope, I'm not getting IEMs. I already have them and the sound and comfort sucks ass compared to proper headphones. Sweat isn't an issue and when I cycle I leave one ear uncovered if I'm in a crowded place, or just take them off completely.

get some quality open headphones and sit at home instead

Guys, MEE Audio P1's, or Audiofly AF120 for my next IEM?
I run a JDS Labs C5D as my DAC/amp and it's slightly on the bright side, if that helps.

Already have my AKG K712 but I'm not exactly going to take them outside

"Wrong."

Any of you guys know of a completely uncoloured closed planar? Was thinking of the PM-3 because I like me some over ear.

>completely uncoloured closed planar
doesn't exist.

PM3 would be the closest, but is quite warm and has fairly significant roll off in the highs

Re-posting this again in hopes of some help.

Can someone help me decide on my next headphone because I am a poorfag and I dont want to make the wrong pick.
I am looking for IN-EAR headphones around 100$ budget, what I require is the following:

1-That they do not fall out of my ear when I walk or move around (secure fit), and that they isolate decent at least.
2-Really comfortable, the type that you can wear for hours and not hurt your ears or give you headache or fatigue.
3-I dont mind if the headphones are durable, they will be tossed around between my bag and pockets, i am generally careful with my things but I want it to at least last 1 year.
4-As for sound, I am no expert but I listen to ALL sorts of music genres, I am not familiar with the terms yet but I want something fun basically with some bass, but not overkill, I dont want to ruin the enjoyment of the less bassy music.

after some research this is what I found :

~ shure se215 (Top pick so far)
~ RHA MA750 (these also seem to tick everything but I read they are very balanced and natural, not that this is a bad thing but again I dont mind some bass)
~ 1 moretriple driver (Second pick, a lot of people have been talking about these lately, their sound is superior to top two picks ? ??)
~Sennhiser momnunemt in ear (mixed reviews about this one, also build quality worries me)

`also considering these too but read they are bass light and aim for a clear signature.
~HiFiMAN RE-400
~Etymotic Research hf5

What does /hpg/ think ? I am open to any other suggestions but I need to buy these tomorrow so would love some help here, also source is my smartphone sony xperia z3 compact.

you're using the word poorfag wrong buddy

Hello /hpg/ i just came today to show you my new purchase, it may be the most worth

Fak, is there anything else that would be close too?

No such thing but MrSpeakers Ether is quite decent.

I bought these a few months ago and they're fucking DOGSHIT. Piston 3's are ten times better and a third of the price.

Those new Monoprice M560 potentially, though I haven't heard them. Hifiman also make a closed planar I think. Other than that, there are very few closed planars. There are some T50RP mods that get quite close to neutral. Talos and Mayflower both offer some.

Some vintage orthos might be an option too.

Can someone give me some better info between K612,DT880's, Fidelio X2's, K712 and hd598se?
Which of these would be better suited for listening to music, watching movies, and playing video games, in that order.

>They look like Brainwavz HM5
That's because they're the same OEM model. Accessories can differ.

RE-400 isn't exactly bass light, unless you screw up the fit or just really want a lot of bass. It has a downward tilt and some general bass boost to it. HF5 is slightly midbassy and but far less than the other sets mentioned. Has a less general downward tilt than RE400, above 5kHz or so.

The Senn/1More/RHA/Shure sets are all bass heavy.
MA750 highs are more spiky, maybe even a bit of V-shape, Momentum's upper-midrange takes a hard plunge (the Sennheiser in-ear veil).
The 1More Triple and SE215 would best be called bassy, SE215 has more subbass, the Triple puts emphasis higher up, closer to 100 Hz or so.

As far as isolation is considered, the real outlier is the 1More, which is too heavily vented to isolate decently. The Etys should isolate best, followed by the Shures and the rest. Depending on the eartips used and the fit, the actual isolation will vary a bit.

SE215 has a serious advantage of removable cables with a popular connector, but not everyone likes the MMCX style.
RE400 build is very poor, thin wires lacking reinforcement at strain points.
MA750 build is made of steel, but the earpieces weight quite a bit much for it. Housings can still crack

>there is a TON of other things beside the frequency response though.
The frequency response (actually the magnitude response) generally dominates over everything else.
There are other things such as non-linear distortion, which is kept low on most decently well made sets, and isolation/crosstalk which is generally of minimum significance.

Anyway 1-4 KHz, headphones for that.
I already mentioned the Beyer T90, and possible issues it has.
HD600 can have a little peak around 4-5kHz. It that proves bothersome, there's the HD650. That usually tends to be more recessed in the treble range than the HD600 already was, and the 100-300 Hz boost they have can be an issue in itself.
Cont.

>K612
Mostly neutral with slightly peaky treble. Great spatial imaging. Headband has some comfort issues but can be remedied very easily.

>DT880's
MASSIVE treble peak. Midbassy. Comfy and standard great Beyer build. Decent spatial imaging.

>Fidelio X2's,
Midbass city. Quite dark, but almost not because of the peaky treble. Fairly wide imaging but not very 'complex'. Very comfy.

>K712
X2's but with slightly less midbass, shallower pads, comfier headband, and are a lot lighter. Treble is more peaky. than X2s. Spatial imaging nearly on par with K612.

>hd598se
Warm. Slightly veiled treble. Low end roll off too. Average spatial imaging.

>Which of these would be better suited for listening to music, watching movies, and playing video games, in that order.
Entirely depends on your tastes and goals.

I'd take K612 over all of the others for all of those purposes, other than maybe watching films. For films [action at least] you want a lot of low end rumble and kick. X2's or K712 would be the best in that case, though still are fairly mediocre for film. Nothing compares to speakers. Ever.

Ill simplify it a bit. If you want neutral, K612. If you want warm, 598, if you want warm with more bass, X2/K712/K7XX.

k712's are the best headphones I've ever tried besides the 600+650. They're very detailed and have a good amount of bass, though I found it a little sloppy and overpowering. They're fantastic for music, gaming and movies.In a way they're a less bloated x2 with more detail, and the soundstage is fairly wide too.

I want to by a pair of HD800's, but they look so fucking dumb

They do. Just get 600's.

I already own them

Spatial imaging is soundstage? Also, all those are open correct? How do the m50x compare to them? What does warm, dark, etc. mean?

Could you compare the k612 and k712 from your experience?

asking again
>recently get pic related(iOS)
>sound cuts out if wire is moved a certain way
>only happens on iPhone and iPad, not on computer
One guy had the same problem, he got another cord and it kept happening. Some suggest it's because of the buttons on the cord screwing it up. What do?

Never tried the 612 before sorry. I've heard it's similar to the 702 and if that's the case then it's a very good, wide, detailed headphone. The 712 sounds a bit thin with no real weight behind it. The k712 doesn't have that problem at all. The pads are also fucking god tier (memory foam)

Sorry I meant to say that the 702 sounds a bit thin with no weight behind it.

>Could you compare the k612 and k712 from your experience?
They're basically the same expect the bass is better on the K712 and the treble is less harsh on the K612. I prefer the K612.

Do you need an amp for either k612 or k712?

You don't NEED one but you will want one, at least when it comes down to the 702 and k712 so I'm assuming the 612 will be similar. Just get the e10k, that's literally all you need.

Is it worth it though? If I buy k612 and the e10k, that will put me roughly at 200€ total (120-130 headphoenes, 80-90 amp). Are there any headphones that don't need an amp and sound the same/better in the price range?

>Are there any headphones that don't need an amp and sound the same/better in the price range?

To put it bluntly, no. If you're getting your first real pair of headphones you will want to drive them properly. The e10k should be an end game amp for you and will be a good investment in the long run. It's tiny and usb powered so it's perfect. I used to use mine with k712's, x2's 702's etc and now with my hd600's. You shouldn't ever need to upgrade it. Just buy one straight away with the headphones if you can afford it.

Anybody have more of a list of options/selections for microphones? I was considering replacing my Sony ECMCS3 because it picks up a lot of background noises, I was looking at the Boompro and Modmic 5, was leaning towards the latter, but seems like at that price range there might be some more options for microphones in general, is there any other I should consider that might be of better quality? Thanks.

the e10k won't make much difference if you get the k612, and the build quality can be shoddy. start with the phones and then decide if you really need an amp

Amps don't make a huge difference as it is but when you get to a certain point in price, you take whatever difference you can get. He will end up coming across many songs where he will wish he could add more volume. That alone is a good reason to get a cheap amp, never mind the slight quality difference.

Build quality of the headphones or amp?
What do you mean by more volume, as in loundess?

Yeah. Using on board audio has it's limits, as do amps. But the e10k can go much louder than on board.

>Build quality of the headphones or amp?
both are low tier china crap, but i was thinking of the amp mostly

How much loudness are we talking here? By comparison, if I put the volume on my headphones all the way to the max I pretty much don't need speakers.
Well, what would you recommend?

The e10k, like I already said. It's the cheapest quality amp out there and it performs exactly the same as much more expensive amps like the odac for example. The odac can go even louder, but that's pointless because you don't need anymore power than what the e10k gives.

Okay, but are the headphones worth it? I can get the 612 for 120€. Can I do better in that price range? Does the quality of the closed hd598 compare to k612?

Thank you for the detailed answer, I think i was right, I will go for the shure, but which one the limited edition or the normal one?

Never tried the hd698 before but if they're closed there's a high chance they will sound worse than the k612s. Are the 702's near the same price? if so I'd recommend those, I'm guessing the k712 costs quite a lot more? if not I'd recommend getting that over everything else. If the k612 is clearly cheaper than the rest then you should give them a go. Buy from amazon if you can since you can retrn things easily, as long as amazon is the actual seller and not by a third party.

Hey /hpg/, why does Sennheiser use chink shit quality plastic on their HD 5X0 and HD 6X0 headphones?

k702 are 200, k712 245.
k612 with the amp would be 200.
Which should I pick?

First of all. Are you someone who NEEDS heavy bass? if that's the case then you should get the k712 and ignore the others. But you would still want the amp. If that's not the case then you should get the 612 and the amp. What are the best headphones you've ever tried?

Not really, I don't generally listen to music with deep bass. All my headphones up until now have been 10-20€ trash.

just get the k612, it's the safest bet

Get the k612 and the e10k then m8. You should fucking love it.

My friend works with concrete and he came up to me one day and drew me this.

>"Hey user, you are good with tech and electronics. I need a headset that can cover my ears but also give me a mic to talk with when taking calls from my phone. Does this exist? I'm afraid to order online, so if it can be bought here in town it would be preferred."
>Price?
>"I don't how much this stuff is worth, as long as it isn't over $100 it should be fine."

He is in his 40's and lived his life in the forests of Michigan shooting rabbits with a .22 and riding motorcycles to escape his shitty family, so he knows nothing about headphones.

What do I tell him?

Anime OP best OP :^)
DT770 80 ohm.
HJE120.
HM5 would look goofy af when cycling, I suppose M40X.
>I run a JDS Labs C5D as my DAC/amp and it's slightly on the bright side, if that helps.
kek'd
PM3 is the closest.
M6 PRO. SE215 sounds like listening to music underwater.
wtf
It's completely subjective but here's a quick rundown:

K612/DT880 - bright
X2/K712 - bassy
HD598 - neutral/warm
Never really found the K612 neutral desu.
HD800 + EQ.
This has been fixed for years. Try harder.

>I'm afraid to order online, so if it can be bought here in town it would be preferred
heh i'm the opposite

are these any good?

Audio-Technica ATH-AVC500

>K612/DT880 - bright
>X2/K712 - bassy
naw k712 are brighter than k612

>concrete
Does he need to block external noise?

Why not use muffs and an in ear headset?

I would disagree.

I know they're supposed to be headphones with a little bow on the end, but someone in design REALLY fucked up.

you disagree wrong

He wants to listen to music as well as hear the people he is taking calls from, so it can't just be muffs. He does want it to be good at blocking noise, but keep in mind he can't technology very well, so setting up a microphone separate from the headphone jack on his phone might be too much for him.

We don't call them Snappheiser for nothing.

has never happened to any of my Sennheiser headphones over the past 6 years

I would tell him to look into the headsets made for airplane pilots, as those are made for good sound isolation and communication (I'm assuming these are his top priorities over music).

The downside is that a lot of those headsets are very mid-centric, so don't expect much (if any) bass or treble extension when listening to music, especially being the drivers may be surrounded by a thick piece of sound deadening foam, like what you'd see inside regular safety ear muffs.

Those headsets usually terminate into seperate mic and headphone 3.5mm terminals, but you can get an adapter that terminates into a TRRS terminal for phones.

So best bet would be k612+ e10k, correct? Either that or hd598 se, but no amp, since they cost the same here.

Yes. Get the k612 and the e10k. You will most likely love it. The only thing I could say is that you shouldn't expect miracles. A lot of people get disappointed when they first switch to high end gear because they expect a massive difference. most of the differences in high end gear are relatively small, but worth it.

r8 my portable setup no b8 m8 b str8 no h8
Fiio X3ii and RHA MA750i (they were about 50 bucks cheaper than the regular version for some reason)

Do the MDR 1000x actually have the drivers of ultra premium $250 Sony cans?

I owned K612, it was too bright around 7kHz for my liking, graphs seem to be conflicting on the internet.

Now I use EQ'd HD800 and ER4SR.

>Now I use EQ'd HD800 and ER4SR.
Basically me, except I have ER-4PT which to EQ. Master race life.

usbdisruptor.com/dirty-usb-power/

Is this just snake oil?

What's ER4SR? an EQ Preset ?

I used to be a massive HD600 shill but the HD800's comfort, consistency, construction, cable build quality and weight distribution really can't be beat.

Just need dat EQ.

etymotic.com/consumer/earphones/er4-new.html

An ear-dildo.

Is there anything like the Koss KSC75 but that won't give out after four months?
I have bought three different pairs for just general computer use. That way I can have one headphone on and one, usually, just hanging off my shirt so I can hear things going on around the house.

They are absolutely perfect for me but get rather expensive when you have to buy multiple a year.

These headphones have a lifetime warranty, no?

Oh those fucking things. I'd love to try them but I'd never pay that for iems unless I was rich. Mental.

Yeah but you have to send them the headphones and pay for shipping back.
After all that it's only a few dollars more to buy a new pair, and you'll get them a lot faster.

Does your setup generate audible static, clipping or distortion?

If you're not sure, or say no, then you don't need whatever someone is selling.

How would we know the difference between distortion or no distortion if our setups have always had some level of distortion?

Because things like instruments and vocals that can be heard live will have an obvious difference when played on a system which has distortion issues. You don't have to have a reference system if you can compare to live experience.

>Budget : 150.00 or lower (maple bucks)
>Location : Canada
>Source : phone/Xbox one/ps4
>Type of headphone : full-size.
>Open or closed : closed but indifferent
>Comfort level : indifferent, wear for an hour or two
>Sound signature :
>Past headphones : set of 60.00 panisonic full size headphones

Bonus : the more metal in the construction and heavy duty the better. Also the closer they look to something that came out of WW1/2 the better. Also Bluetooth if possible.

mdrv6 or mdr7506

What's a good pair of IEMs with a removable cable around $100?

I've mainly bought $25~ IEMs but I want to buy a nicer one. The only problem is I frequently break the cable (Usually the cable breaks after a year of daily use), so I don't feel like spending a lot on a pair of IEMs without a replaceable cable.