Learning Hardware

I am currently learning programming and I am reasonably good at maths.
What is the best way to start learning about how hardware works?
Do I have to study physics from scratch?
Is there a top-down approach to learning hardware? Like, will learning about Arduino or Raspberry Pi help me in understanding how hardware works?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Aw4Fk0Mz418
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Can someone please reply?

How can so many people be this cold?

I will not let this thread die.

You should start with Maxwells equation and build your way up from there.

You should try /sqt/. Also Assembly.

So I have to start from the basics i.e. the bottom-up approach.
Is there no possibility of learning hardware basic from Arduino and Raspberry Pi?

Yeah, my bad but nobody replies on /sat/ because of such a high inflow of questions?
Anyways, thanks for the Assembly lead.

Please reply.

Am I the only one who has this question?

Goddamnit!

depends on what you want to learn. raspberry pi and following projects will give you insight in electronics, if you learn what you do and not just follow the instructions. assembly gives you insight how microchips compute

And what about how microchips *work*? Like the core basics of it?

I started by tinkering with Arduino. I started to read and branch out more when the projects I wanted to do could no longer be done by an Arduino board alone. I feel I have learned a lot from just hobby shit.

Read through the Art of Electronics by Horowitz/Hill. It's regarded as one of the best resources available to start thinking about circuit design (without the unnecessary bullshit about how transistors and diodes and other solid state devices actually work and a de-emphasis on the math behind it, because neither of those are really helpful when it comes to designing useful circuitry. Sure, they're good to know, but why spend time calculating out a precise value when your cap tolerances can be 20%? There's a time and a place for that, but for getting started it will be best to begin with the fundamentals and the fundamentals can be learned with a college freshman/sophomore's level of math understanding or less).

Search for a good book on computer architecture. You don't really need to know physics, it's more about logic at that level.

This is also accurate. Start with a high level view and if you need to drill down further then do so. You don't need to know discharge calculation for capacitors or doping relationships for transistors.

Cmos vlsi
Electronics elements
Basic electrotechnical stuff like 1st and 2nd Kirchoff
Then just download a bunch of computer schematics from baidu and datasheets for shit in those schematics and you will get a hang of it

Cmos VLSI design 4th edition
It covers everything from start to finish

Heads up, its over 1000 pages

> (((Horowitz)))

youtube.com/watch?v=Aw4Fk0Mz418

CODE: The Hidden Language of Computer Hardware and Software by Charles Petzold

I want Sup Forums to leave; here's your (You)

>what is cmos

There are 7 logic gates: AND, OR, NOT, NAND, NOR, XAND, XOR

Logic gates are used to make transistors >> CPUs
transistors are used to make flip-flops >> Memory

>There are 7 logic gates: AND, OR, NOT, NAND, NOR, XAND, XOR
Correct.

>Logic gates are used to make transistors >> CPUs
>transistors are used to make flip-flops >> Memory
A logic gate is a combination of transistors, not the other way around.

Pic related, a static CMOS inverter (NOT gate)

Maxwell equations, circuits, computer architecture, signal processing.

Depending on your ambitions, you don't need physics outside of high school level.

Learn C. Buy Arduino Uno and maybe some Arduino book with projects, but there's plenty of guides on the net. Then if you need more power, switch to RPi 3 and Python. Check out adafruit website.

Arduino, RPi 3 and their vast communities as well as knowing C and Python make it all damn easy.

ECE graduate here. just ignore all these previous answers, you have to define first what aspect of hardware you exactly want to learn about. also check /sci/ wiki

I think he was saying that logic gates are used to make transistors into CPUs and transistors are used to make flip-flops into memory, but couldn't type like a human.