ReactOS - open source clone Windows / Sup Forums

ReactOS is an open source clone of Windows 2003 / XP, in future clone of Windows 7.

Microsoft has gone mad and does all the crap with Windows, add spyware NSA in Windows, made touch interfaces for PCs, idiotic forced updates and other garbage. Who knows what it will add in the future?

ReactOS project leaders felt that in order to make a stable version compatible with 2003 / XP, about 1 million euros is needed for the salaries of system programmers. After the stability will be possible to make compatibility with Windows 7 drivers and applications (work in this direction they have already begun). They have a ReactOS foundation in Germany - ev.reactos.org/index_en.htm .

I already wrote letters to various companies, in Valve (many letters), Mozilla (grants for developers), Munich authorities (city in Germany, transferring computers from Linux to windows again) with a request to look carefully at ReactOS, as an alternative to Windows in the future. Nobody except Mozilla responded, Mozilla said that the alternative to Windows is Linux, but Linux is not compatible with some hardware, applications and user experience.

I know that Sup Forums is power, let's try to help ReactOS somehow. Can we create petitions? Maybe write letters to some other companies?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=CeCenkvF4lk
youtube.com/watch?v=XGwKKV1l4Vk
youtube.com/channel/UCMo8NP-2oP35rauon-Duc9Q/videos
youtube.com/watch?v=naPVtDaSVhQ
youtube.com/watch?v=zQx_u_rWzCc
reactos.org/donating
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>let's try to help ReactOS somehow. Can we create petitions? Maybe write letters to some other companies?
Has it even occured to you that you could help them very easily by contributing to the product?

ReactOS is a hobby project at best with little to no real world applications.

Kill yourself

Until Russia decides to actually put some funding into this, React will not get off the ground.

Dota 2 dx9 on ReactOS - youtube.com/watch?v=CeCenkvF4lk

Half Life 2 on ReactOS - youtube.com/watch?v=XGwKKV1l4Vk

Tests windows apps - youtube.com/channel/UCMo8NP-2oP35rauon-Duc9Q/videos

I help with testing, unfortunately I'm not a system programmer, that I can't help in the development.

Unfortunately, the russian government refused to finance.

I wrote emails to Valve, about running Dota 2 and HL2 on ReactOS, that it would be a cool operating system for Steam Machines and other emails. But he did not receive a reply.

Too bad they have already invested on Astra Linux instead

That sucks. Getting a Windows clone would've probably helped them out a lot more, and would've helped the community in general a lot more.

What the fuck is Astra anyways?

Lets meme this distro to popularity

I'll make the logo.

>add spyware NSA in Windows
You are absolutele gigamoron if you think fucking XP and earlier aren't riddled with it. There are hardwarre backdroors as early as 95

this is straight from wikipedia
>Astra Linux is a Russian Linux-based computer operating system developed to meet the needs of Russian army, other armed forces and intelligence agencies. It provides data protection up to the level of "top secret" in Russian classified information grade. It has been officially certified by Russian Defense Ministry, Federal Service for Technical and Export Control[1] and Federal Security Service.[2]

Maybe they weren't sure what to say for legal or business reasons.

>not directly writing to gaben
SteamOS/Linux will be the better alternative anyway

I think it's a great effort, but seriously, I don't see the appeal besides running legacy drivers and applications.

He's 14. He clearly doesn't fucking understand.

ReactOS is primarily designed for windows applications. Gabe can promote it as a replacement for windows 7/8.1/10

Yes, you probably are right, but in ReactOS they will not be like open source.

ReactOS does not violate anyone's, the principle of open development is used. One person studies how it works in Windows, and then writes the documentation. Another person writes code according to the documentation.

For Russia and other non-US aligned countries, that's the point, they want to be able to have a decently supported OS that'll their old software on their old computers without having US backdoors or other unprotected exploits.

Although apparently Russia isn't interested.

>that'll their old
that'll run their old, polite sage

MS patents would be problematic in JewSA.

Why would he promote alpha software that can't even handle gpu drivers for gaming, when linux+wine exist?

What's the point of recreating Windows XP or 7 when those can be downloaded for free anyways running all the required applications from the get go? It's a waste of effort, they should probably focus on making a good alternative to Photoshop or something. Plenty of venues to actually get people to use Linux for a change.

To use SteamOS or Linux based OS, you need to have skills, so already now SteamOS have already forgotten everything, almost no one of the new developers does the game (Vulkan) and the applications for SteamOS. ReactOS is just like Windows and will support all the drivers, applications and games from Windows.

>but Linux is not compatible with some hardware, applications and user experience.

lmao

most of the serious companies support linux
it is your fault buying shitty hardware just because they are popular or cheap

You need to have skills to use all linux based system. ReactOS very simple os.

lmfao

>ReactOS is just like Windows and will support all the drivers, applications and games from Windows
It will never have 100% compatibility, and theres wine for old windows shit.
>you need to have skills
So you've never used a linux distro before
>so already now SteamOS have already forgotten everything, almost no one of the new developers does the game
Yeah no, that's just bullshit. Just admit that you're under 18 years old

so the kgb can backdoor me instead of the CIA? Actually, that's probably not that bad.

Windows XP is no longer supported, on Windows 7 it will soon cease to be supported. This means that anyone can put any virus or trojan into your system.

As far as ReactOS open source, it can be supported as many as you like. Can also add any modern features.

>This means that anyone can put any virus or trojan into your system.

They can't if the user ses Common Sense antivirus.

omg, why would you test games on a VM? Even playing games on a Windows VM is suffering (well, or at least it was)

Testing games should be done on a real machine where you can get realistic results.

i think it's always been a legal gray area. the only reason they're ignored is because no one uses it. reverse engineering in itself isn't illegal, but let's say you reverse engineer a process or module that contains a patent, then you could be sued for patent violation. it would be easy to prove since the charter of the project is to "be win32 compatible".

Windows will not stop supporting the biggest platform for digital games on PC you fucking delusional faggot.

Worst case scenario Steam is added to the Windows Store, period.

100% compatibility can be done if there is money for development.

On Linux 1% of PC users are sitting, this means that there is something wrong in it, it is difficult for most users. I've used Debian and Ubuntu with XFCE, these are good operating systems.

I'm more than 14 and 18 years old, just my English is not my native language, I came to you from the Russian board 2ch, translate with google translate, sorry.

Antiviruses stop supporting unsupported wasps and also if the vulnerability is deep in the system, then the antivirus will not help.

Great. so it runs much worse than the already existing and quite properly running alternative WINE. why would anyone bother then? ReactOS seems to be windows without any of the benefits of windows.

In many countries, research and development is permitted, for example, in Russia. In Russia have not registered this patent. In other European countries like too it is possible.

Sorry, but we will never have 100% compatibility. Some programs rely on obscure workarounds which wont work in reactos
Linux is stable and usable, and supports most hardware without problems. We just need to make a really user friendly distribution.

FPS is not so important, it's important that it runs and works, compatibility check. Testing the speed of work will be at the very end of development.

ReactOS will be fully compatible, this is the main goal. 100% compatible with drivers and applications. This can be done, since everything is being developed completely. Service support and stuff.

I still think that if you are serious, why not get a real machine with ReactOS that you have just for that.

You should get better compatibility as well, a VM isn't 100% faithful, ever.

Post i link i want to donate to this fucking reactOS

lol even people at microsoft don't know how most of their shit works, you expect some small team of random people to be able to write a clone of the mess that is windows?

Besides skill you also need hardware support for example my graphics card has no support

This videos are much better

youtube.com/watch?v=naPVtDaSVhQ

youtube.com/watch?v=zQx_u_rWzCc

reactos.org/donating

I hate Microsoft but i love Windows, this could be a major project.
Donate 5 bucks and don't be a fag!

ReactOS dev spotted.

ETA on stability?

I don't even know how to code, Windows is the only OS that i use and i kind of hate the botnet, UI inconsistency, 2 control panels, 7 different contextual menus, forced telemetry, THE BOTNET
I want a free Windows without Microsoft

Wrong quote

Does it have PowerShell? If so sold, if not it is an inefficient system. Navgating through the GUI on Windows is inefficient, thus, I do not do it.

>Maybe they weren't sure what to say for legal or business reasons.

Most likely legal reasons.

If ReactOS actually starts taking revenues away from Microsoft, they will assemble a huge team of the most aggressive asshole lawyers money can buy, go out there and find out who is in control of ReactOS and who is funding it, and then sue the motherfucking shit out of all of them. The longer they can drag out the process, the better. It makes no difference whether Microsoft has a valid case against ReactOS -- the lawyers will pretend to be deliberately obtuse about ReactOS's legal rights and focus all their energies on irrelevant legal arguments. Microsoft will use the whole thing as an opportunity to spread every conceivable kind of innuendo against ReactOS, enough so that a judge is forced to pay attention to the innuendo even if there's no substance behind any of it.

Powershell, you mean CIAs #1 hacking tool?
Gee, great. Thanks Vistaids.

>ReactOS does not violate anyone's,

You better believe that ReactOS violates Microsoft's rights. Microsoft paid a huge amount of money in legal fees to file all kinds of patents on various ideas used in Windows. It will be trivial to find lots of cases where ReactOS violates those patents, and Microsoft will fight hard against ReactOS if it ever gets popular enough to start impacting Microsoft's revenue stream.

~2052

That's because they hired a trillion pajeets that did a summer course in programming that taught them how to post on Stackoverflow.

This is the reason Windows 10 is filled with a quadrillion different inconsistent UI styles and facets.
They've literally built Windows 10 on top of Windows 8.1 on top of 8 on 7 on Vista.
It's a hack of an OS that gets more hacky with each update.
At least XP and previous were CHANGED each version. They kept some sense of continuity. Well, if you ignore the new XP theme which was shit, but everything else was consistent in UI.

Nobody actually changes shit because they literally don't have a fucking clue how any of it works.
DLLs that have been untouched since the days of Jesus Christ.
The most significant changes in that codebase were, obviously Vista (it started it), and 7. It stopped at 7 and from then on it has been hacks on hacks on hacks.
Windows 8 onwards is a conflict of 2 Operating Systems, 1 of which has no actual developers for, the other having shit-tier poo-in-the-loos developing.

>Although apparently Russia isn't interested.
Why they must be interested?
It's cheaper to make Microsoft to include backdoors for KGB.

>2ch.hk
fix

Tы yжe зaeбaл блядь.

The NT kernel has actually had alot of under the hood work done to it since Windows 7 its alot more slim and trim (can fit in 128mb of ram) and has been "modernized" to handle things like thunderbolt and the such.
The UI still is a hacked together mess which is almost a blessing since you can still used the normal control panel among other things

>but Linux is not compatible with some hardware

That's a rather funny argument, almost everything works just fine with GNU/Linux. The exceptions are rare.

ReactOS finally managed to get printing working over parallel ports. This "news" gave me one big question-mark. Why would they prioritize this instead of general USB support?

Yes, yes, ReactOS is a great idea, sure, but it's been in development for years and years and it still lacks the most basic hardware-support. It doesn't seem to go anywhere.

I don't use Windows or Windows software personally and this probably affects my judgement, but here it is: Support WINE if Windows software is important to you. If you want to run some piece of Windows software and not use Windows right now then you'll probably be able to do that with WINE under GNU/Linux but you're not going to be able to do it with ReactOS any time soon.

I know, it's not what you want to hear but it's the simple truth.

>I wrote emails to Valve, about running Dota 2 and HL2 on ReactOS
Value already settled on GNU/Linux for their SteamOS.

Exactly.

>We just need to make a really user friendly distribution.
This wouldn't matter, not unless you by this mean "included when you buy it". This may appear strange to Sup Forums but something like 80% of all Android users never install a single app on their phones. I am not sure what the number is for Windows but I expect it's quite similar. The vast majority will simply use the OS and software that comes pre-installed.

>For Russia and other non-US aligned countries, that's the point, they want to be able to have a decently supported OS that'll their old software on their old computers without having US backdoors or other unprotected exploits.
Microsoft provides the source code for the russian government since 90s, for reading and checking if the build is reproducible.

So if it can run windows programs, can it also run windows malware? And if yes, why would anyone think this is a good idea?

>OS Paged Poo

optimal operating system for indians confirmed

>It runs in a VM

Dropped.

How come Microsoft don't sue the shit out of this?

If the NSA had built-in access to any Windows system, they wouldn't need any exploits and other other complicated shit.

>garbge
What an appropriate name for normie pop shit

Same reason they can't sue wine, it's kind-of hard to sue someone for making an open source implementation of something.
It's like Intel trying to sue because you replaced there bios and firmware with coreboot

I hope reactos will be successful, but I expect that by the time it works well enough to be useful for its intended purpose, technology will have moved so far forward that nobody would really be using windows 2003/xp software anymore

They only have to get to NT 6.x since that encompasses vista to Windows 10

In Russia and european countries US patents do not apply.

лoл, вдpyг тyт ктo-тo знaeт кyдa мoжнo eщe oтпpaвить пapy пиceм

its not like reactos is going places now either way, it literally had like 10 years without any progress whatsoever. Project is doomed either way.

>tfw Initial release 1998; 19 years ago

thats why FBI did raids in Poland on Kickass servers, and CIA had secret/torture houses all over European countries with knowledge of these countries goverments? IF microsoft sue reactos, you can bet your ass they will get shut-downed/extradited to USA.

>emailing a gigantic corporation
When will you consumerists realise that they do not care about you

>Kill yourself
this.
just waste time and resources.
also
> giving money and trusting Russian bydlo developers

just look at reactos UI, its dated as fuck, it has crappy hardware support only. Its Hobby project for some neat autist, that has hardon for old hardware and shit

>Can we create petitions?
How about actually helping code you pile of shit

Why copy a shitty design in the first place? Duplicated shit is still shit.

>How about actually helping code you pile of shit
actually nobody needs OS which is mimicking already existed OS, just Russians try to scam some idiots. grab money and run.

A very complex project and there is no money to hire a developers, then what has been done to date without money is a huge job! Only 1 million euros is needed to finish it to a stable state. Let's think about who can be interested in this project for investment?

>that grammar
Shut up prajeet. Since Micro$oft made Windows a pile of shit, someone has to pick up their slack.

They do not extradite you from Russia, you are welcome!

Developers around the world, not only from Russia, in Russia there are many testers.

The user interface can be changed, and the appearance is changed by themes.

Reactos literally builds on wine, so there's really no point now. Maybe in 5 years (since win10 is the last windows OS).

ETA on it being stable as of now? 10 years?

user experience

ReactOS literally has no use

>about 1 million euros is needed for the salaries
so, you need 1 million euro to code operating system which is already done about 16 years ago.
are you high or something?

Not so, the project is international, there are Russian there too, are not more of them than the rest of the developers. Many Russian testers. The project manager is also Russian.