>2017
>Linux still can't have thumbnails in Open File dialog boxes
Why? What's preventing it? Is evil MS or Apple threatening lawsuits over thumbnails or something?

What's the deal with Linux not having thumbnail view???

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/SMKeWTVYBUo
youtube.com/watch?v=CCG4daPvuVI
youtube.com/watch?v=V2MvbfuITT8
youtube.com/watch?v=wDRTjzLNK0g
youtube.com/watch?v=raKHHFv4nN8
youtube.com/watch?v=ZEoJgQAfb5Y
youtube.com/watch?v=7znIHsyqfm0
youtube.com/watch?v=E8hO4K7mZG4
youtube.com/watch?v=O4BUcIDdpAM
youtube.com/watch?v=lGFUtqM8oAs
youtube.com/watch?v=Dqumdhqy8Uw
cad.softwareinsider.com/compare/5-10/AutoCAD-vs-BricsCAD
youtube.com/watch?v=4eLM3NrOJms
youtube.com/watch?v=5XW0AqKG5zI
youtube.com/watch?v=Qmjz6WXyWBY
youtube.com/watch?v=TqZeThC38ug
youtube.com/watch?v=D5RIveQypgw
youtube.com/watch?v=7-Mo3GTcOQ4
youtube.com/watch?v=mnk_VzedqlU
youtu.be/JmH4KYcmHOo
sylvia-ritter.com/new-gallery/
peppercarrot.com/
steamdb.info/linux/
store.steampowered.com/search/?category1=998&os=linux
youtube.com/watch?v=yXr8bqzf45Y
youtube.com/user/tuxreviews/videos
youtube.com/user/airspeedmph
youtube.com/user/Jakejw93/videos
youtube.com/user/mrdeathjr28/videos
youtube.com/watch?v=AWZvwhwT1Sk
youtube.com/watch?v=W9gsu_YWUzE
specifications.freedesktop.org/thumbnail-spec/thumbnail-spec-latest.html
my.mixtape.moe/vganvw.jpg
bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=141154&
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/File_Picker_meme
cio.com/article/2881172/survey-says-kde-plasma-is-the-most-popular-desktop-linux-environment.html
kde.org/applications/
archlinux.org/groups/x86_64/kde-applications/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_KDE_applications
wiki.manjaro.org/index.php?title=List_of_Qt_Applications
twitter.com/AnonBabble

wtf I hate linux now

youtu.be/SMKeWTVYBUo
>hurrr open source means people can take things into their own hands and fix problems without having to wait on Apple/Microsoft to do it
>meanwhile, all the problems this guy has been highlighting since 2009 still exist on Linux
Linux is a fucking joke *on the desktop*.

Linux is just a shit OS

owo

linux is a kernel you retards

>2017
>GNOME based desktops still can't have thumbnails in Open File dialog boxes
Fix'd for ya.

Linuxfag here, let me give you the most proper and shameless explanation. I hope you will understand.
>Why are there no thumbnail in file explorer
Because it's written in C. The file chooser widget is written in GTK+, which is one of the most popular C's GUI library. People know about this already.
>Why hasn't this been fixed
As a software developer, I would not touch obsolete POS language such as C, let alone GTK.
For me, it's easier to develop something else rather than fucking with obsolete featureless languagelet like C(ancer). Using C for anything but micro controllers and kernels is pants on head retarded, specially GUI. GUI is MEANT for Object Oriented Programming and C doesn't have that level of sophistication. Developing C is literally a worthless timesink because C does not have anything to offer but timesink: C has no templates, operator overloading, exception handling, type checks, runtime checks, constructors, lazy evaluations, monads and the list goes on. If you are not hacking the very language itself with macros shitting all over the source files you wouldn't trivial things such as get function overloading.
C does not have exception handling. It's meant for 80's computing and the projects that are written in C are unironically stuck in the 80's: like GTK+
Even after you have gone through the agony of using a language that is a disservice to the intelligent programmers (Linus doesn't count, he's on a different level and not everyone is Linus), you have to worry about memory safety.
C is not memory safe. As if the timesink development was not enough pain, you have to test your program for possible security vulnerability. When K&R came up with C, it was an ancient time. C's priority was being able to produce binaries that can run in an 800MHz processor with 64MiB RAM that can fit into floppies. Security was NOT a concern.

Coincidentally, KDE file chooser has thumbnails and guess what language it's written at: it's C++.

Ban C

that's a lot of words that I didn't read

what are you guys talking about? If you run Enlightenment on your Linux then you have cool thumbnails that will even play a preview of video.

Linux is a jewish scam to trick whites into supporting communism and working for free.

so what you're saying is you hate c, which is a small obsolete language that is subjectively shit

but you like c++ which is a large obsolete langage that is objectively shit

C++ is better than C(ancer) in every way possible

Wait, what is this?

>shameless Illyaposting
Do I need to bring up the doujin again?

>all that whitespace

Into the trash.

I've always hated it.

>pedo detected

This is where I report you to the FBI.

pls don't lewd my gf

linux's only strength is as a server os, nobody gives a shit about linux on desktop so it remains a joke and always will

You Rust fags are really investing a lot of time into this.

share me that pic plz

>Linux users aren't pedophiles, I swear!

linux is a kernel, not an operating system

True. I don't have it on my openSUSE system.

thanks m8

Not this is-this-new-desktop-thread guy again.

What's a good site for loli pics besides the usual boorus/pixiv/nijie?

idk that's all I use

Why isn't the top left corner of your finder rounded?

OpenSUSE Tumbleweed does not have this problem.

Pedophilia.

But OP, why does your kernel need picture thumbnails?

$ uname
Linux

Stay mad.

That's a problem with your piece of shit DE. KDE has them.

Pic related

Less than 10% of Linux users use KDE.

Okay then this pic related.

Do I need to install KDE for this or will installing the file manager alone be sufficient?

It is GTK limitation, Qt have thumbnails, if you want good file dialogs, try
KDE.
Actually if you want any feature, try KDE.

fbi.gov

>Do I need to install KDE for this or will installing the file manager alone be sufficient?
Not only do you need to install full KDE system but the applications themselves have to support KDE file picker. Firefox does support it but all the other GTK apps don't. So you're back to square one.

yeah... it lacks a thumnail view.

You're obviously blind. It has thumbnails. Thumbnails = miniature images, which you can clearly see and you also have an image preview while selecting.
A list display is better than tiles anyway so I don't see a problem in Ubuntu's file picker. It feels much better than any other.

truly does turn on my motor blades

that's not a thumbnail view you mouthbreathing retard. go back to high school.

ok lads, rec me a distro that has KDE.

>they teach what thumbnail view is in high school
Since when?
And yes, it is, you retard. If not explain why it isn't and why anything else is better.

KDE plasma and openSUSE.

Because this is thread to spread bullshit about linux you wouldn't mind if i post some pasta to add some extra background do you?
Kicad
youtube.com/watch?v=CCG4daPvuVI
Natron
youtube.com/watch?v=V2MvbfuITT8
Blender
youtube.com/watch?v=wDRTjzLNK0g
Krita
youtube.com/watch?v=raKHHFv4nN8
Krita
youtube.com/watch?v=ZEoJgQAfb5Y
Lightworks
youtube.com/watch?v=7znIHsyqfm0
Kdenlive
youtube.com/watch?v=E8hO4K7mZG4
Unity3D
youtube.com/watch?v=O4BUcIDdpAM
Opentoonz
youtube.com/watch?v=lGFUtqM8oAs
Godot engine
youtube.com/watch?v=Dqumdhqy8Uw
BricsCAD VS Autocad
cad.softwareinsider.com/compare/5-10/AutoCAD-vs-BricsCAD
Bricscad
youtube.com/watch?v=4eLM3NrOJms
Freecad Demo
youtube.com/watch?v=5XW0AqKG5zI
Freecad BIM
youtube.com/watch?v=Qmjz6WXyWBY
Freecad & 3D printing
youtube.com/watch?v=TqZeThC38ug
Gimp 2.10 features
youtube.com/watch?v=D5RIveQypgw
How to install photoshop on wine
youtube.com/watch?v=7-Mo3GTcOQ4
Digikam
youtube.com/watch?v=mnk_VzedqlU
Pixar Film Production
youtu.be/JmH4KYcmHOo
Linux art 1
sylvia-ritter.com/new-gallery/
Linux art 2
peppercarrot.com/

more pasta, don't mind me.

Not him but the no games argument is not true anymore. Windows is the best os for gaming mostly due to most game developers are trained into developing for it with microsoft's closed APIs, so the simple process of porting a game that was developed for windows to any other platform will affect negatively the performance of the game. This with the fact that the marketshare is small compared to windows there's hardly an incentive at the moment to optimize for linux, making look as if the platform were worse for games than windows when in fact to flip the situation you'll need to change the idiosyncrasies on the industry itself.

The fact though is that the situation on linux is not nearly the same than two years ago and now those who prefer linux over windows now can play games on it, helping to break the vicious circle, but still there's a lot of things to do for linux to compete in the gaming side. I anyone wants for this to change i recommend to play the games you can on linux when possible and ask for linux ports.

I notice some people doesn't want's for this to happen but if that the case let me ask (not directed specifically to the person i'm replying): how are any of you benefited in a meaningful way with the current situation? because i consider that keeping the statu quo just to have a tool to win an argument on what OS is better is not a meaningful thing. how having less options and practically being locked to MS products benefits you?

Some links:
steamdb.info/linux/
store.steampowered.com/search/?category1=998&os=linux
youtube.com/watch?v=yXr8bqzf45Y
youtube.com/user/tuxreviews/videos
youtube.com/user/airspeedmph
youtube.com/user/Jakejw93/videos
youtube.com/user/mrdeathjr28/videos
youtube.com/watch?v=AWZvwhwT1Sk
youtube.com/watch?v=W9gsu_YWUzE

true

That series is ironic you fucking dope

> for the last time...
D:
They were kind of fun, I guess but they had been losing stream.

Stay in denial all you want. LEENUCKS IS FINISHED AND BANKRUPT.

Retards still posting the same objectively false meme

>t. mactoddler

None of those programs have thumbnails in a File Picker.

>KDE
no one uses KDE. it's not a default DE for any major Linux distro.

>Using a DE other than KDE for anything besides a Steam dedicated box
It's like you hate yourself

Just because your average retard uses a DE that treat's it's users like a a bunch of babies, that doesn't mean we have to also. Just use KDE faggot. It's literally the only worthwhile DE for anyone who values their own time.

>too dumb to create his own thumbnail
specifications.freedesktop.org/thumbnail-spec/thumbnail-spec-latest.html

prob is that the # of ppl who use KDE is tiny and software library is tiny.

>gf
>my

>software library is tiny.
Whether you use KDE has nothing to do with what other Linux sofware you can use. You have yet to name any actual problem. Also, there are plenty of people who use KDE. There are entire distros based on it like OpenSUSE (which is based on SUSE, an enterprise Linux distro) and Chakra (an Arch Linux fork).
If you are going to pick your DE based on what Canonical or Debian have as their default then I don't think Linux is even right for you to be honest. Just go back to OSX.

Quick question
Does Chromium in KDE use Qt dialogs or GTK dialogs

>I am a sheep and base my decisions on what other people are doing

Some of them do. Kdenlive, digikam, krita or any other that can call the kde's file picker. If you install a patched version of gtk 2 you can have the icon view on any of the programs that can cal the gtk2 file picker. But to be strict as you said, those programs doesn't implement any file picker by themselves, the file picker depends on the library used to create the program. You're welcome.

i-is that a 5k iMac? resolution looks glorious.

owo
my.mixtape.moe/vganvw.jpg

if the gtk file picker issue bothers you, then consider nudging this open bug report. It legitimately annoys the developers because they know what a piece of shit GTK's file picker is.

bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=141154&
als wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/File_Picker_meme

Also, since you like to meme this thread, please include the bug report link in the OP so more people will bug the GTK devs.

Thank you. That last comment was fucking hilarious and I LOL'd IRL.

Do you have some data to backup this claim? The most recent one i found (a bit old tho) seems to indicate KDE is pretty popular:
cio.com/article/2881172/survey-says-kde-plasma-is-the-most-popular-desktop-linux-environment.html

>prob is that the # of ppl who use KDE is tiny
See the link.
>and software library is tiny.
>t. i don't know what i'm talking about.
But seriously, at least check this first:
kde.org/applications/
archlinux.org/groups/x86_64/kde-applications/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_KDE_applications

And this doesn't includes the frameworks or all the qt programs out there, just the applications under the KDE umbrella. If you want to check qt applications on linux, while not all of them uses the kde dialog a lot of them does it in my own experience:
wiki.manjaro.org/index.php?title=List_of_Qt_Applications

Also there's non-Qt applications that has integration with KDE and can call the file picker, Libreoffice, chrome or vivaldi are examples of this.

Chromium and other browsers based on it like vivaldi calls the KDE dialog by default if it detects you're on kde.

As a note, the Qt dialog is not the KDE dialog. The Qt file picker dialog is a very simple one with almost no features by itself but Qt5 can detect the target environment and use an appropriate file picker using the default one as a fallback only or if you tell it to use it.

Yeah, while i consider gnome to be a pretty polished and integrated environment by itself i alfo find pretty nasty how they often removes functionality, refuses to implement sough after features like this one or how they has been breaking compatibility with different options for customization each stable release. I think they want to push forcefully their vision on their users.

k

>VOTES
LMAO... yeah... no.

It's kind of sad when even Macshit can do this.

dumbfuck, Mac came up with everything. they have everything since they've invented almost everything.

Daily reminder.

Too difficult to implement for noob

OK, but that still isn't a file picker.

>LMAO... yeah... no.
Care to provide better data? Oh yeah, maybe you're a windows user who is accustomed for everything to be opt-out and for telemetry to be enabled by default?. Well, i guess that's one of the advantages of having telemetry enabled by default, surveys are not needed anymore.

Your file manager is not a file picker.

>drag&drop
Seriously, nigger?

If you honestly think those photos are anywhere near suggestive, maybe you are the one attempting to hide your pedophilia by arbitrarily accusing others of it.

Just like mac users apparently.

$ uname -o
GNU/Linux

where?

Here

I'm not seeing it

Are you blind?

all I see are cute anime pictures?

Lewd pictures of underage anime characters. You could go to jail for this in the UK or France.

theirs nothing lewd there

Dude, 500 something VOTES that anyone could have voted on. It's bullshit of the biggest order. How fucking new are you to the Internet? Sup Forums alone has been manipulating votes for over a decade. Only a retard newfag would trust online polls. And especially one that's 500 votes. KEK!

Data is fucking simple: ALL THE BIGGEST DISTROS DON'T USE KDE! That means that KDE users had to go out of their way to install it.

And all the biggest Linux apps use GTK.

You could go to jail for that in the US as well.

>Daily reminder.
TOPKEK
you're a fucking idiot if you think this is the same thing.

>it's a miles thread

$ alias uname="echo GNU/Linux"
$uname
GNU/Linux

Last time I checked, the name of my distro is Arch Linux and not Arch GNU/Linux. Same goes for all other main distros.

Stay mad, commie.