Why aren't you using Windows Embedded Standard 7 instead of Windows 7 or Windows 10?

Why aren't you using Windows Embedded Standard 7 instead of Windows 7 or Windows 10?
WES7 is literally master race.
It's modular, so you can strip and functionality you don't need.
It's lightweight, literally takes ~1,5GB of storage space after installation and upgrade
It's as functional as Windows 7 Ultimate
It has lower requirements than Win7

Come on user, explain yourself

Other urls found in this thread:

arstechnica.com/security/2017/03/preinstalled-malware-targets-android-users-of-two-companies/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Because I don't have autism

You do. You browse Sup Forums after all. :^)

My microphone refuses to work with it, would use otherwise though

virtual desktop doesnt work for shit on that.
What the fuck am I missing? I installed all of the C++ distributable, .net, even made sure speech to text was installed.
It can run hl2 in a vm at 300fps.. why the fuck cant I do vr desktop

If I was still running my XP toaster, I might consider it. But I now have a $285 desktop (minus drives) so I have no problems being up to date running Windows 10.

I'm fine with 7 Ultimate

NOTHIGN 2 HIDE, NSA PLS LOOK AT ALL MY SHIT

Because the only reason to use Windows is to play video games, and the best OS for playing video games on is Windows 10. If I wanted a light, fast OS I'd install Gentoo, not some shitty gimped version of a deprecated edition of Windows.

Linux is far less secure than Windows.

Keep telling yourself that.

It's literally the same thing as 7, but with some tools missing.
>It has lower requirements than Win7
Wrong

I'm using it as my daily driver. It so lightweight.

>Why aren't you using Windows Embedded Standard 7 instead of Windows 7 or Windows 10?
Because I use Windows 7 Professional which is superior.

>WES7 is literally master race.
Anyone who uses the statement "master race" is either a Nazi or just a stupid fucking person.

>It's modular, so you can strip and functionality you don't need.
Irrelevant, if someone wants that kind of granular control they'd run a Linux From Scratch installation.

>It's lightweight, literally takes ~1,5GB of storage space after installation and upgrade
Disk space? Seriously? You care about disk space in this day and age?

>It's as functional as Windows 7 Ultimate
You claim it's modular and you strip out what you don't want then you say it's as functional as Windows 7 Ultimate which has everything enabled - you can't have it both ways, you stupid fucking person.

Irrelevant, just like mentioning disk space usage, we're not using 1st gen Pentiums and 8MB of RAM with PIO-Mode IDE hard drives anymore, son.

>stupid fucking people will be the death of us all

>literally ships with malware
>secure
arstechnica.com/security/2017/03/preinstalled-malware-targets-android-users-of-two-companies/

Because my computer came with Windows 7 so I see no point in paying for another OS.

I can smell your unwashed fedora

Android has nothing to do with the version of Linux that's installed on PCs.

>we're not using 1st gen Pentiums and 8MB of RAM with PIO-Mode IDE hard drives anymore, son.
Who is this ``we" you speak of?

You're right, because the only relevant Linux distro for PCs is the Windows Subsystem for Linux, which doesn't have this problem.

So selling pre-made computers with Windows and malware on it would mean all windows has malware? You're retarded.

yea, but can it run crysis?

>Windows 7 Professional
>No Applocker, federated search, bitlocker, branchcache, directaccess, subsystem for unix-based applications, MUI packages support, VHD booting etc
>superior
Also inb4
>hurr durr no one use those features anyway

Because I fucking hate windows

this, but non-ironically

Is there anything I can't do with embedded that I can with ultimate/professional?

Never thought about it. Then again I have no problem with the current operating systems I'm already using. This is good information, though.

linux is safe :^)
big brother cannot see you if you use linux :^)

Because getting a license for embedded systems is a pain in the ass. I'm sure you could pirate it quite easily, but if I'm going for full control over my system, I'm sure as hell not going to trust a sketchy crack or activation tool to get it running.
Also, DX12.

Embedded windows doesn't even have activation. You just put dumb CD key that you found on interwebs and it just werks. No need to download KMS or whatevershit you called.

sounds good, I'm gonna try and install on my memepad, apparently notebooks like X131e shipped with this windows version.

I'm gonna test it in a vm beforehand tho because I tried several shitty slimmed down "tiny7" torrents and the like and the windows update was broken on each and every one and got obscure errors everytime I wanted to customize ordinary stuff.

Got a guide for Embedded anywhere? I'm up for giving it a shot. Does it have full DX11 support and no driver issues? Any differences I should know about?

>using the smiley with a carat nose

I tried to do an EFI installation but it doesn't finish booting up (stuck on Starting Windows), also the setup had "basic display renderer" as unmapped device, is that bad?

Where do you buy it?

WES7 doesn't have forced win10 upgrade, telememetery, activation services and other harmful things present in Win7. Yet, it has all actual functions of win7U.
Stay cucked

>basic display renderer" as unmapped device, is that bad?
No, it means the installer doesn't have your GPU drivers.
Just install them manually later

Because I use LTSB

>EFI
EFI was a fucking mistake. Use BIOS you idiot CIA nigger

It's easier to hide in plain sight.

not knowing it as "cia smiley" :^)

>It's as functional as Windows 7 Ultimate
doubt it

well, it doesn't have telemetry

so I tried this on a thinkpad X220. for the last 30 mins tried everything but

the windows update is dead on arrival.

couldnt get sound to work

couldnt get aero to work

all the bloat features are there, but somehow everything on C drive takes up 4GB

yea this looks like another shitty russian tiny7 install.

I'm not autistic.

so when a driver site asks me which windows version I use what do I choose?

nigga mine works fine.
even I could play mount&blade on it

You don't

Look up for archive.
It has full DX11 support if you tick multimedia support in installation. No drivers issues at all. Sound works out of the box. Need to install NIC drivers manually tho.

try running it through the terminal and it should produce usable information user

why would i? i honestly dont care about how lightweight a system is desu

I use GNU/Linux which is infinitely better than anything Pajeets at Microshit can make

where to get it?

>the windows update is dead on arrival.
it is, so it's in Win7. You have to install (in correct order) two Windows Update package sto fix it.
>sound to work
Install drivers, you fuccboi?
>aero
Same as above, just install drivers. Dumbass
>bloat features
You're stupid as fuck. Don't use default templates during system install, just pick manually everything you need.
>comparing official microsoft product to some shitty tin7 puke
Kill yourself, incompetent cuck.
It doesn't spy on you
google "Standard 7 SP1 64bit IBW.iso" or "Standard 7 SP1 32bit IBW.iso".

So what are the things that do NOT work is this version, that DO work in normal W7 Ultimate? I'm not talking shit like drivers that you have to install manually.

There are no such things. Everything that works on win7 works here. It's basically a modular Win7, same kernel, same code.

actually it works nvm I fixed it.

nigger

*also the ram usage is a fucking joke. it's on par with a regular 'Ultimate' install.

I did, it didnt do shit.
virtual desktop is a virtual reality app, ran though steam. Its a desktop viewer/media player.. basically turns the vive into a monitor.

I think since it needs to be loaded in steam, it doesnt dump anything to the console or isnt fully started when I run it from its own directory.

nice desk.

neither does windows 7 with bad updates removed

>with bad updates removed
You just lost your argument.

so the official final verdict is in: Windows Embedded Standard 7 is shit.

>It's modular, so you can strip and functionality you don't need.

No you can't, you literally can't hit 'next' in the install menu unless you select a lot of shitty dependencies.

>It's lightweight, literally takes ~1,5GB of storage space after installation and upgrade

lmao. 14GB with updates and drivers.

1GB ram usage out of 2GB on a fresh install with no startup items, every bloat feature disabled. more than the Ultimate version.

gee, nice """"""""lightweight""""""" Windows7 version

you're the one who should kill himself you dumb sack of shit spamming this horse shit.

>Software rendering
>Stacking window manager
>2016+1

wow, never heard about it. Is it like win10 lstb to win10?

Embedded windows strips out a lot more than just LTSB.

>Embedded windows strips out a lot more than just LTSB.

Don't worry, the (((important))) parts are still here.

just a meme then, ok

becos my computer is fast enough to run windows 7 fully

its not like its hard to do senpai, even better you could just not install them in the first place

Because we don't watch Linus Tech and immediately want to do exactly what that retard tells us to

There are Youtubers shilling for this? I don't watch them, so wouldn't know.

and then when I was like "at least everything works", when I restart I get pic related for 10 minutes and the disk usage increased from 14Gb to 19GB somehow.

19 fucking GB compared to 4 (fresh install)

ofcourse

>retard can't install Windows

hahahahahaahahahahahahah

lel

>youtube pajeet shill fails at shilling

not even worth a reaction here.

>Shilling for an outdated Windows version

are you fucking stupid

shut up fag.

not an argument

>le molymeme
is not a valid retort

But I want to install it on a GPT disk

You didn't even type the proper product key in famalamadingdong

nice os nigger, the iso doesnt even work for this crap, stuck on "starting windows" on QEMU/KVM VM

piece of shit

I have alot of shit checked during the install and I still average 8 gb installs.

Also there is a kb that you need to install to get updates to work properly, KB3138612. Install that and it will download all of the updates in like 10 minutes (instead of 10 weeks).
This applies to ALL versions of win7.

manage to get it back down to 12 after a thorough cleanup, checked with windirstat and apparently the 'check for updates' buton produces massive logs somewhere in Windows\SoftwareDistribution, apparently they should be compressed but they're not. a delete&restart should fix this behavior, but it doesnt.

>Also there is a kb that you need to install to get updates to work properly,

tried every related KB out there (about 20), including two massive 500MB ones, the one that did it was a 600KB 'microsoft fix-it' which was replaced by microsoft with something else, but I could still download an old version from another website.

the sound still doesn't work even with the proper drivers.

also shutdown/sleep/wake-up is painfully slow on a ssd, the 'add or remove features' list is blank, the ram usage is still higher than regular windows7 versions, Office install gives me an 'unknown' error and so on.

sorry but "works on my machine" and
are not valid arguments, you're gonna have to do better than this e.g. install it, try and fix the inconveniences like I did, succeed, and prove me wrong.

the verdict still stands, Windows Embedded Standard 7 is a meme.

I wasn't arguing with you, I am just pointing that out. You ain't gonna fix your current install and expect to use it for more than the evaluation period.
You pretty much need to reinstall in order to get rid of the timebomb problem--there is no other way around that.

When you have a problem such as drivers not installing properly and add/remove featues being blank, you likely missed out on important packages. Either reinstall and check them, or use "dism /online /add-package /packagepath:" post-install in cmd as admin.

Hi NSA!

Nothing works on this shit.

RMA youself!

>dude just reinstall lmao

>use this cmd that you surely 100% haven't tried 12 times already and I surely didn't just google around and copy pasted the first result here

for a windows OS this shit is unusable and inexcusable. what you're proposing is hackintosh-tier level of tinkering and digging out obscure update errors from shitty forums to make a fucking windows install work, whose sole advantage is windows_folder_size=(regular_windows_folder_size - 6GB)

just stop and go back to jacking off to anime.

That's kind of the point. Nobody actually uses these features.

>implying the dism /addpackage command is a meme
That is literally the same thing as adding the packages during IBW and does work. If you did not fix the problem, you simply did not add the correct necessary package.

>>just reinstall lmao
You need to do that nevertheless even if you have zero problems, since your installation is timebombed and "slmgr -ipk *correct key*" would not remove the timebomb.
Honestly you are just complaining about sour grapes at this point.

Well that's really you, because I do use a few of those features such as Applocker. Sometimes SRP simply doesn't cut it.

WE

>Honestly you are just complaining about sour grapes at this point.

I'm complaining about a shit windows meme version that doesn't work properly like OP says, as supposed to the 12 other windows versions that just werk.

this meme doesn't work and/or it takes a lot of time (that you have a lot of obviously) to configure.

if you think a slightly smaller disk footprint in a world where everyone has hundreds of GB to spare = sour grapes, and timebomb = one of the main problems after I listed all the stuff that's broken, then you're clearly mentally ill and you should go take some special comprehension classes.

Windows Embedded Standard 7 is shit. deal with it.

Иди нaхyй

I'm currently installing this shit, got an install footprint of 1.6GB, so I'll keep this thread updated with my progress.

Maybe if Stallman spent less time eating foot cheese, or Linux spent less time fagging out on mailing listd and hand waving long predicted cryptographic vulnerability then Linux would be more secure
But its not, no one has the will to audit a full real world install with the large attack surfaces (hi systemd) so you can't even say

>b-but i-it's open source!

I trust a company with it's name on the line then I do a loose coalition of autistic whackadoos trith be told

And sorry for my spelling, I should proof read and I apologize

Okay so this guy was full of shit.

Got around 500MB RAM used on fresh install, with intelligent feature selection.

about 2GB of hard disk space used.

I'll now proceed with drivers and windows updates