Amerikek

> Congress fast-tracks resolution to allow internet providers to sell consumer data without permission

Other urls found in this thread:

lmgtfy.com/?q=Congress passes law to allow ISPs to sell data
arstechnica.com/business/2014/01/what-google-can-really-do-with-nest-or-really-nests-data/
theverge.com/2016/11/25/13746042/uk-surveillance-bill-private-browsing-online
wired.com/video/2016/11/worried-about-your-privacy-now-here-s-how-to-protect-it/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>america

mike pence is a fucking demon

Didn't they already do that?

If these could make us great again then I don't mind making the sacrifice

If you aren't using an offshore VPN you deserve it. I love heing subsidized by idiots.

land of the free

>VPN
>not Tor

>Tor
>Not completely owned by the NSA

Tor is funded by the DoD you idiot. It has backdoors built into it by design.

source?

And this is what happens when you want a "free market".
Got any questions?

Yeah, how would having these same government assholes regulating EVERYTHING directly help?

And yet no one can prove it. Really makes you think.

>everything must either be totally regulated by the government, or left unregulated like the wild west

You need to be over 18 to post here.

Here you go fucko.
lmgtfy.com/?q=Congress passes law to allow ISPs to sell data

>And this is what happens when you want a "free market".

How the fuck is this tied to the free market?

Because without some kind of regulation, they will keep colluding like this to fuck people over (and getting tax payer money for infrastructure upgrades, which they pocket instead) because there is no alternative.

Your information is valuable.
They're selling it it freely on the market.

>GOP

I see your looking at the free maket's name and taking it at face value instead of researching what you are talking about.

Also this.

Is that not the argument he just made?

>be european
>get arrested for giving muslims boo boos on their feelings over the internet
>start another world war

Fuck, I thought he replied to my post. Full retard mode accidentally engage.

You dumb nigger that *is* the "free" market

Another butthurt liberal thread. How does this hurt you?

>how does giving monopolies free rein to ass rape you hurt you?

>boomers

I bet he doesn't even know how to use either one of those voip phones

How does this ass rape you?

Privacy isn't a left or right issue, but the issue itself was brought up by right wingers.

>How does this hurt you?
How does this not? Why would I want my ISP with my full details, address, credit card information and more to be selling my data to different advertisement agencies and potentially anyone else?

>arstechnica
HAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAH

Fake news shit

>Another butthurt liberal thread.

Imagine the GOP shit storm if Obama was flirting with Putin half as much as Trump is.

>how is spying on you and selling that to the highest bidder not in your interest?

If you don't want this info spread, don't buy the service. Simple as that.
Your libera Russia memes do nothing

>If you don't want this info spread, don't buy the service. Simple as that.
Oh boy, here we go.

>Don't buy a service that's pretty much a necessity at this point.

You know some municipalities require internet access to pay bills right?

Er...

No.

That's all well and nice but the GOP have been uncompromising children for over twenty years. Would be nice if their efforts helped the average American but instead they trip and fall on themselves to give yet another tax break or subsidy to wealthy interests while simultaneously saying that there's not enough money to fund infrastructure, healthcare, education, consumer protection, etc.

>If you don't want this info spread, don't buy the service.
Why should we allow them to sell consumer data in the first place? In these days, the internet is such a necessity that you simply cannot just "not buy the service" if all the service providers in your area sell your data.

Sup Forums has infected his brain. Just ignore him.

Sup Forums was so much better when it was /new/ and a stormfront outpost than whatever retardation has taken over there now.

>Your libera Russia memes do nothing

Nevermind more than one person has been forced to step down because they were caught lying about talking to russian officials.

ISPs have been selling data for yonks with your consent thanks to a clause in the contract.

Now they don't need that clause.

Wow. Everything is going to collapse!

Who cares that your operating system and every online service already collects and sells your data!?

Yes of course, I'll just get high speed internet from some "other provider". Let's see whats in my area:

>Comcast: $50+/mo for their cheapest package
>DSL: 1-3mbps down $40/mo
>Satellite internet: LOL
>That is all

Boy I sure do love all this "choice" I have. Comcast totally doesn't have a monopolistic stranglehold or anything....

This legislation doesn't do anything to effect you then.

So you have choices, you're just a picking little cunt.

I'm sure thee's a couple of dial up options.

There are plenty of places where you can access free internet. Stop acting like millennials by pretending you need the internet to live.

I bet boomers were told the same thing about electricity

You mean the same public libraries you guys threaten to defund?

>Stop acting like millennials by pretending you need the internet to live.

Okay, wanting a decent internet line at home, so I don't need to go to the library everyday and needing to share a bloated network just so I can avoid having to buy internet from a provider who'll share my data to the billionaire next door makes me an entitled millennial?

I'd never thought I'd see the day when Sup Forums would defend breaches of privacy. This is disgusting.

I should say "change in legislation" FCC is removing their own regulation they had on ISPs that required them to get your consent to selling data

Guess what? Every single ISP already stipulated in the contract you sign that they will store and sell your data.

The FCC is trying to justify this by saying that ISPs are having trouble competing against services that freely sell all your data like Google and Facebook. It's obviously a bad move. The government should regulate companies from selling your data but the problem is THEY ALL DO IT. There's no fucking way a government official could propose laws to seriously regulate selling of users data without getting blackballed

If you need a new liberal safe space, try reddit

A lot of the leaked NSA slides talked about how much they hated Tor though, with the implication that it's hard for them to crack.

That was probably before they developed BULLRUN though, which apparently can let them crack encryption ("vast amounts of encrypted Internet data which have up till now been discarded are now exploitable") but that isn't sure, the only real leaked bit of info about it is how secretive it is, "there will be NO need to know"

Since you haven't provided an argument, I'm just gonna beg you to reconsider and actually take a moment to realize what's happening and think about why you shouldn't defend it.

The internet is defined as a human right by the United Nations

Over the past couple decades have you ever once written to your local congressman and argued for regulations to be placed on the rampant data collection by online services, ISPs, Operating Systems, etc...?

Sup Forums now is just Sup Forums with flags, country roleplaying and a obssesion with niggers, mudslimes, spics, blackeddotcom and racemixing.

Worst board of this site.

Nice moral high ground faggot, doesn't stop people caring about their privacy though

Not him but
>Implying boomers know fuck all about technology
>Implying they arent crooked pieces of sub-human amphibian shit

Actually, yes, I have. In dire times like SOPA and PIPA, I wrote to literally anyone who represented my state to protest those specific acts but I commented about digital privacy rights in general.

>Republicunts

every time

> Implying there isn't thousands of terrorists in the US ready to launch some fireworks
Cletus pls

It's the both parties are the same meme

Go to bed gramps

back to Sup Forums with ye all. the faggot calling people liberals. the faggot calling people republican. fuck off all of you, privacy is not a left vs right thing, end the political shitflinging itt and discuss the actual issue

Secure messaging:
Conversations - Android
Gajim +omemo plugin - Linux (windows?)
PGP over email or XMPP

Sup Forums xmpp muc
Sup [email protected]

Other things:
HTTPS Everywhere
Ublock Origin
I2P

Any linux distro is infintely better than windows or mac.

Encryption:
dm-crypt FDE - Linux
Veracrypt - WIndows Linux Mac?

File sharing:
Piratebox - Offline sharing
Transmission BT(Require encryption)

>It's the constituents' fault for allowing this to happen, not the representative elected to serve the best interests of the people

Comcast: Possibility of having streaming and file sharing services arbitrarily throttled. You get cease and desist notices if you even think about downloading a torrent client. At least cable is somewhat reliable. $1000 install fee for fiber with a 1 TB monthly cap.

DSL: 2 feet too far away from the dslam to get reliable service, have to purchase equipment and pay an extra $20/mo for the phone line

Meanwhile people in fucking Romania have $10/mo Gigabit FTTH with no caps. Capitalism is fucking awesome.

More FAKE NEWS

They tried to put in some restrictions on your ISP collecting your browsing data, but why?

Google, Facebook, etc already do this, on way bigger scale. Why doesn't the FAKE NEWS report this?

Your ISP can't even collect your info if you're browsing SSL, Google can.

So if you want ISP's to stop collecting your data, or report who they're selling it to, then make Google and all other data cllecting companies do the same.

But most people on Sup Forums would want that, Sup Forumstard.

>It's wrong, b-but they're doing it too!

Back to retard

I dont see how you can spin this positive. the US military is invading syria and oh btw i just nationalized your financial status, your medical history, your sexual orientation, and even your religious and political beliefs. oh and the nation is the Russia federation. how is this making American great again?

>i like it when google and facebook rape me in the ass

That's rebbid. You can tell by the weird formatting thats how they do it..

>yeah, so let the ISPs join the party!

That's how retarded you sound

But now will be legal.

I don't use either of those services, friend. And like I just told you, I am willing to bet that the vast majority of people on Sup Forums are against all forms of data collections. At the ISP level and by Google.

no source no link, good bye.

It's always been legal, Google has been doing it for 20+ years.

>I don't use either of those services, friend.

And yet you're still being spied on by Google and Facebook. Why don't the libtard politicians make a law banning all data collection?

It's the go to retort for Trump supporters. They're still using the "well Hillary would have been worse!" defense as well.

>beg for big government and corporations to fuck you in the ass, then call everyone who opposes it a "cuck" and be blind to the irony of it

>And yet you're still being spied on by Google and Facebook
Doubtful since the only Google script I allow is captchas on Sup Forums.
>Why don't the libtard politicians make a law banning all data collection?
That would be nice and hopefully it comes, but let's not add to the retardation by allowing ISPs to do it too.

I dont value my data I think any entrepreneur that can feed his family with money made off of information gleaned from my usually nasty google searches and occasional SO searches then bravo to him.

>They're spying on your various 'how to fizzbuzz in JS', 'milf blindfold titfuck tube' queries
What a marvelous time to be alive.

>It's always been legal, Google has been doing it for 20+ years.
google isn't an ISP

The FCC regulation was specifically ISP's

The world isn't some simple system where everything that happens is either good or bad.

Whether government will admit it or not, the FCC is trying to stop Google and Facebook from getting even larger. If they give ISPs more reign it will prevent Google or Facebook from taking over another important service in modern society and thus moving towards a monopoly. This is a legitimate threat.

The people who use the services that sell user data are to blame. You can't use microsoft and apple products and Google and Facebook yet turn around and condemn companies for lobbying to do what you've proven you don't mind.

The problem lies in the consumer. That's the inherent problem with freedom.

You do realize you're on Sup Forums, right?
This entire board has been campaigning for what you just said since the beginning of time and literally all tech publications have been reporting on it since.

>reddit formatting
Please go back to /r/the_donald. Even Sup Forums would be too intelligent for you.

this literally happened right now. they're literally giving away email addresses

>The problem lies in the consumer. That's the inherent problem with freedom.
its because the users have no ability to switch to things that don't collect their information. The parts where the companies admit they're taking and selling your information is embedded into excessively lengthy EULA's that no one has time or the lawyer language ability to read.

Numerous posts about how it's compromised based on controlling many of the nodes. Also literally started as a government program. Do you even read?

What's on her mind, Sup Forums?

No, the problem is that there is an asymmetry of information, and consumers do not behave like theoretical perfect consumers do

I wish Sup Forums had os flags. I bet you'd be OSX or Windows. Probably OSX.

Good goy

>This entire board has been campaigning for what you just said since the beginning of time and literally all tech publications have been reporting on it since.

No they haven't. There;s literally 0 legislation being passed that prevented Google and Facebook from collecting data, or revealing who they are selling the data to. ZERO.

Show me these SJW sites like Ars, Verge, etc calling for such legislation. Go ahead faggot.

you keep saying that in threads where people provide actual evidence

there are papers and stuff written about tor's weaknesses

you have a choice to use google or not

you don't have a choice with ISP

It was developed by the Navy, not a branch of the intelligence services. There are zero recorded cases of anybody being proecuted based on Tor being hacked. It's always an opsec failure or Firefox exploit.

Technology news sites don't advocate for privacy?

>Ars
arstechnica.com/business/2014/01/what-google-can-really-do-with-nest-or-really-nests-data/

>Verge
theverge.com/2016/11/25/13746042/uk-surveillance-bill-private-browsing-online

>Wired
wired.com/video/2016/11/worried-about-your-privacy-now-here-s-how-to-protect-it/