Haskell
, Lisp
, C
, C++
, D
, D++
, F#
, Rust

A systems language with dependent types. Still trying to decide how to handle resources and effects. Leaning toward algebraic effects.

(NSA paid agent)

C apologists are NSA shills plain and simple. Rust makes it harder to produce vulnerable programs as it actually implements safety precautions like Bounds checking, dangling pointer prevention, data race prevention, lifetimes etc. This is against the interest of the NSA and so they are shilling C so that people continue to produce exploit prone, unsafe and vulnerable programs.

Ignore the NSA/C shills. Programming in C should be banned and outlawed.
Say no to security exploits, say no to the NSA. Your data and your privacy is worth preserving.

Haskell a shit

Actually starting those MIT lectures in the meme image, lisp is such an unreadable language though so it's a struggle.

>old copypasta
CIA niggers are easy to spot.

>t. Wincuck

Youre trying way too hard

Nice try, CIA. People are more careful about your exploits and 0days

Say NO to the three letter agencies

Any good resources on session types that relate them to linear types?

No one cares about your Japanese dragon dildo knockoff rendering software.

I don't use w*dows

There is no times you would want a program to crash

If you don't care then why are you breaching my privacy and exploiting our 0days, CIA?

I like Lisp, but don't force yourself to slog through something you find painful. I will say the prefix notation gets easier to read after awhile.

tedunangst.com/flak/post/heartbleed-in-rust
How will he ever recover?

I looked at the memory allocator written in Rust and it was absolutely trash, inefficient as fuck and proposed a bunch of "nice features that memory allocators don't normally have" which were actually just shitty features nobody needs that make it impossible to implement efficiently (meaning they were just a byproduct of the naive slow implementation).
I tried to contribute but the build process was a nightmare, errors in dependencies because it relied on a package that purposely used versioning such that they can add/remove features at a whim.
Rust is not ready for kernel development.

Nice try FBI

From the link:
>Interestingly, despite the obvious parallels to Heartbleed, the recent X server XkbSetGeometry info leak is probably a better example of a bug that rust would have prevented.
>For further reading, the JetLeak vuln in Jetty is practically identical to Heartbleed, except it occurred in Java, a nominally memory safe language.
>Tony took another look at Would Rust have prevented Heartbleed?. I think it’s a good post, summarizing the issue and clearly breaking down the difference between Heartbleed and “Tedbleed”. But again with the private key fixation. Worst case scenario for Tedbleed is “An attacker can recover arbitrary plaintexts from encrypted traffic”.
Nice attempt, NSA

>Low-level is evil and exploitable, just use and trust this high-level standard library I made which is totally backdoor-proof

Rust is open-source.

what happened to the web dev thread?

>high-level standard library
That exists in C as well, you drooling c tard

>he ignores the part about shitty programmers being shitty programmers
>he ignores the part about how using rust actually makes this problem worse
Nice try CIA

Who would have guessed that rust is a placebo...

Open-source doesn't mean audited on a regular basis nor exploit-free.

>the part about shitty programmers being shitty programmers
HA! Typical NSA tailored response:
So losing a chess game means "shitty player being shitty player" to you. That's laughable, NSA. No one is buying your shit

>made hello world in rust
>4mb
Wew lad

Pretty much why asm is the language of the future

>make a hello world in c
>it's apparently insecure
Wew lad

C does not have exception handling. It's meant for 80's computing and the projects that are written in C are unironically stuck in the 80's: like GTK+
Even after you have gone through the agony of using a language that is a disservice to the intelligent programmers (Linus doesn't count, he's on a different level and not everyone is Linus), you have to worry about memory safety.
C is not memory safe. As if the timesink development was not enough pain, you have to test your program for possible security vulnerability. When K&R came up with C, it was an ancient time. C's priority was being able to produce binaries that can run in an 800MHz processor with 64MiB RAM that can fit into floppies. Security was NOT a concern.

You can check it yourself if you're that worried.

>everything faster than Rust is insecure
Wew lad

Absolutely, how the fuck is losing chess because you suck not your fault?
>using copypasta in an argument
CIA shills, when will they learn.

Then you use a kernel written in C.

What if letting it continue to run would put your whole system at risk?

Normies like you aren't the ones CIA is using their hacking tools against.

Yeah except C actually lets you do useful stuff without it. How do you #include " in Rust?

>Haha you think the sky is blue? Well what if I said the same thing, but replaced the word sky with roast beef? Surely now you realize what an idiot you are, hahaha top kek

>Chess player loses 1 game
>"Player is shitty"
NSA is trying really hard to defend exploit lang c

It's only a problem when they start nesting and lisp sure does love nesting.
I'm probably just not used to functional yet, even the code in the first lecture takes a while to understand.

>can't into good development habits
>needs language babysitting to be productive

>This level of damage control

>can't into good development habits
Name a c developer who did

You are shitty in that game yes
It's not rocket science, but knowing CIA niggers...

>Chess player loses 1 game
>"Player is shitty"
NSA is trying really hard to defend exploit lang c

>Say NO to the three letter agencies
This just in, CIA is now called CIAA

>C does not have exception handling. It's meant for 80's computing and the projects that are written in C are unironically stuck in the 80's: like GTK+
Exceptions are LITERALLY just gotos. They're something that should remain in the 80's.

>you have to test your program for possible security vulnerability.
Or you could stop being a fizzbuzz kiddie and design programs in such a way that security vulnerabilities won't be a problem. The Rustics' attitude that "you don't need sound program design, the compiler ensures your program is safe" is the 21st century version of "you don't need lifeboats, the waterproof compartments ensure the ship won't sink".

If you can't be bothered to check through your C programs for vulnerabilities, why should we think you'd take the time to verify there aren't any backdoors in the Rust compiler?

When the heck did programmers became such paranoid pussies with memory?
The resulting effect is the opposite: high memory usage traded for memory "safety". Memory usage is never safe, you're just too afraid to go low.

Also exceptions are not necessarily a good way to handle errors. Every try-catch block you write, god kills a kitten

>he just repeats the same thing
Wow nice rebuttal, sure showed me.

Oh you know, just the using the only language that is approved by my waifu

>design programs in such a way that security vulnerabilities won't be a problem
That design does not exist. No big c project is free of security bugs

>No argument so xe just starts calling everything xe doesn't like damage control

Linus

Is this a recorded message?

I don't have crippling trust issues.

John Carmack?

>His exception system revolves around try - catch blocks
What's it like living in false security?

>Linus
The most vulnerable kernel in 2017, good job

If I use catch (Exception e) {} does he kill two kittens?

And there are big Rust projects that are? ``Safe languages" don't mean vulnerabilities don't exist, they mean they're harder to find. And you know who's willing to take all the time they need to find vulnerabilities? It's certainly not the white hats.

LOL
The biggest CIA nigger in this thread.

>implying i use exceptions or try-catch

I've just been making a website for my dads shitty company to make him happy today

Then you shouldn't worry about security vulnerabilities.

Name one other usable kernel.

>``Safe languages" don't mean vulnerabilities don't exist, they mean they're harder to find.
grep unsafe

'c'ia would shill c because it makes their job easy

he actually kills a kitten and a tiger. Dont do that

How many buffer overflows does it have?

NT

>you shouldn't worry about security vulnerabilities.
gee I wonder who sponsored that post

>implying rust would fix any of the security issues that the CIA uses to exploit
Lad Wew

While I trust most people to not be malicious, I don't trust most people to write good C code.

>null termination is so hard goyim
>use our """"""""""safe"""""""""" language instead, goyim!
>we take care of it all for you, goyim!

That assumes that there are no as-yet-undiscovered vulnerabilities in the compiler, and that source code is alwas available.

It would, obviously. Rust even preven data races

>NT
>Secure

>shilling NT
>kernel is written in C and C++

t. CIA nigger

OH YES GOYIM YOU DON'T HAVE TO WORRY ABOUT MEMORY SAFETY, YOU ARE A TOP C HACKER MASTER, REMEMBER?

If you're not willing to personally check the code of the compiler for backdoors, you have no justification in worrying about ``unsafe code".

wouldn't that go for most mainstream languages?

Same goes for C unless you're using CompCert.

>yeah goyim rust even prevents data races
>use our language goyim
>we will even prevent data races

>you shouldn't worry about security vulnerabilities.
I am not surprised since the CIA actually posts on Sup Forums

Most languages aren't as low level as C where you need to do manual memory management and unchecked operations all the time, where a single mistake in any of the code you write can be a vulnerability.

>C programmers don't worry about memory safety
We worry enough to not trust another nigger shill trying to do our job for us and opening NSA backdoors in the process

Admit it, you only trust Rust's memory safety so you don't have to worry about memory at all. This is why we get ram-sucking abominations like "desktop" apps written in js and wrapped in minimalistic chrome engines nowadays

That's what I have been telling you people. It took vault7 leaks for you people to realize it

In Rust you have to know what you're doing or you will never get a program to compile. The difference is the compiler can use the extra information you give it to do optimization, it's good documentation, and the compiler will tell you if you make a mistake.

Why do you think the CIA even wants your data? Unless you're a threat to national security, you're beneath their concern. And if you ARE a threat to national security, using any processor from the last decade will make you insecure.

>The difference is the compiler can use the extra information you give it to do optimization
Wow, it's like it's 1956 again.

Now that the dust has settled, what's the best syntax?
Algol? (e.g. C, Java, Go)
ML? (e.g. OCaml, Haskell, ATS)
Lisp? (e.g. Common Lisp, Racket, Clojure)

>NT
LOL

You mean the kernel that's exposed ring-0 escalation vulnerabilities though it's APIs? Fucking lol.

Kek, this.

everything is insecure who cares if someone reads your email you have nothing to worry if you don't have anything to hide

>Why do you think the CIA even wants your data?
Uhm I'm not going to take any chances. I actually thought stallman was a meme but seeing the leak last week and how vigorously Sup Forums is actually defending C and possible 0days I am convinced that CIA is actually ITT RIGHT NOW.

I'm leaving Sup Forums as well. It was fun knowing you all.

Fun fact: Intel compilers add dispatch stubs to everything they build - with the intention of selecting the "best" code for the architecture, of course. Never mind the little bit of extra crap that tries to phone home with performance metrics every so often.

You seriously trust your compiler to basically write the code for you?

First for C.

>tfw comfy C programming

Fuck off NSA

C is an outlier because instead of using types to guide optimization, it just makes a ton of shit undefined behaviour. Most languages just do less optimization.

Rust has types to prevent what would be undefined behaviour in C, so it can do all the same optimizations. And you get them automatically, no need to write restrict everywhere or memorize how C does memory barriers.

That IS the job of the compiler, after all.
It's actually a lot easier to make a compiler do mundane things correctly than a human

>yes goyim a machine can do your job better than you

Where do you get that idea from?

I'm sick of this guys! I'm sick of you guys fighting over which language is the fastest or which language is the most retard proof. It is tearing us apart and destroying any discussion related to programming because
> lel your programming language sucks and because you don't use ...
This isn't Daily Programming Language Thread, this is the Daily Programming Thread, which means we talk about programming and not which programming language has the best benchmark results. The language shills are ruining these threads.

Are you retarded?