Raspberry pi

Do you own a raspberry pi and if so what do you use it for?

I bought one a while ago because of how great everyone made it seem, but frankly I have found that I could just as well have used my main computer for that shit.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Hz-2Y6qR67o
raspipc.es/public/home/index.php?ver=tienda&accion=verArticulo&idProducto=1305
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I've had a 2b for a while doing nothing, thinking of getting a usb hard drive and making it a nas

I'm buying one to Libreboot/Coreboot a couple laptops but after that I'll need something to use it for. I was thinking of gutting an old Powerbook G4 and putting that in it, but I don't think it would be worth it. I already have a couple old laptops I'm using as home servers, so not that. I guess I could attach a keyboard, mouse, and monitor and use it to shitpost.

Any better ideas?

Yeah, don't buy one. But an O-Droid. More power for less money.

Better off buying a shittu eBay laptop

>strap 8 of these into an array
>mount a couple monitors
>self contained VR headset with no wires

I used one to build a doorlock that senses when I'm close (by proximity of my phone) and the door automatically unlocks.

its just a fad bro

Does it have GPIO pins on it? I need those.

Every single time this thread comes up i tell people to get a USB DAC or a I2S DAC and load up volumio and use it for an internet radio, meme format player, and airplay.

noone ever fucking listens

VPN to home network

i bought an orange pi.
laggy android.
non existent driver on armbian.
sold it off for half price.
what a waste of money.
raspberry pi is slow as mollusk too.
i suggest getting an intel board from asus.

Sounds fancy, got a write up on how to?

Garage door controller and shadowsocks proxy.

How viable is a PS1 emulator on a raspberry pi/pi-like board?

I have a 2b and just used it to do serial gpio controlling digital potentiometers. Neat being able to do c++ programming on the actual device doing the io, instead of flashing.

how did you set up airplay on it?

it has an open source version of the airplay protocol called shairplay. it works pretty good considering its free and fuck paying the apple tax.

its a bit flakey at times and has a 3 second latency. not sure if you could get it to work better with tweaks. i was too lazy to try to fuck with it.

I'll check it out, thanks. Is it perhaps due to the hardware constraints on the raspi? Which generation of raspberry pi are you running?

Im running it on a RPi3. i dont think it a processing power thing since its only doing audio via shairplay, its more its not refined and has some buffering like hiccups and it tends to flake out if you pause the audio and then resume it like a minute later.
i wouldn't trust it for a party or anything like that but it works great for listening to podcasts in bed

right, ok. yeah, unfortunately there aren't many other options in terms of a wireless connection like that.

Kodi box for my parents

1 for server - essential
nother as desktop ..soon will set it up with torrents / disk

they're not slow

Just a portable Kodi box for me.

Got a Pimoroni Pirate Radio with the Zero W. Gonna run Volumio.

Also have a personal Git server running Gogs, and also have a 3 running Retropie. Now that the Zero W is out, planning on overclocking one to 1.3-4ghz and using it with either Lakka or Retropie as a portable emu setup. Also was gonna use one of the Zero W boards with Blinkt and a bus timetable API so that I can check for the latest busses.

But right now the only thing I don't have is time.

I've had 3 of the original model B units for years now. I bought them to use as XBMC units, but they were too slow for my liking.
They've just been sitting in a drawer for ages, but I finally found something useful for one of them.

Pihole.
Network wide ad-blocker.
Works quite well, I just need to find uses for the other 2.

>if so what do you use it for?
Pic related

an altenative to OP topic will be a touch screen hdmi ready screen detachable laptop... problem is is there such a thing wherein hdmi port is at keyboard half... if yes then next question is will hdmi run when detached to keyboard?

If I were to get one it would be to make a cheap little homemade NAS. I was researching if it was powerful enough to transcode video with Plex, but it seems it isn't.

it's a slow NAS. I used a pi 2 B for one and it isn't great.

Maybe the pi 3 is better.

Can't sink the money into a proper NAS right now, and all I have is a really old QNAP with like 256mb ram, so even a pi 3 is a step up for me.

Yeah, I use it for pihole sat next to my router.

Had it as a NAS for awhile but I always came home to find it had crashed. Wasn't worth the effort to solve so I turned it into generic raspbian, that was a shit experience as well. Then I set it up with Kodi and libreelec but it couldn't process 90% of videos I threw at it so it's binned atm

Seriously a waste of money

I use one as a radio with RTL sdr

Pi2 with Volumino in the kitchen
Pi3 with RuneAudio in the living room

both with Hifiberry DAC+ and Digi respectively.

Very happy with both (although RuneAudio is a lot better)

>Network wide ad-blocker.
i remember seeing this somewhere, but i forgot the name. What did you use to make it?

it is right above the quoted line you dumbfuck

I want to make an opensource synth together with hifiberry.

Just need sum money to buy it first :D

Controls my grow closet.

BTS with a SDR

I have one in my vegetable garden on my apartment balcony. It monitors all my plants humidity and PH-levels and automatically water them or release the proper amount of nutrients to the soil. It's connected to a pump and a series of valves and I have even set it up to monitor and release different levels of water/nutrients to different plants for the best yield. It's awesome. All I have to do is fill up on water once a week and trim the plants every now and then in order to be completely self-sufficient on organically grown vegetables during the swedish summer months.

I also have another one hosted at a different location that for now only runs irssi.

I use my pi3 as my main PC now... I hardly switch my laptop on anymore though I do still use my phone above all else. The built in VNC is awesome. The hardware support is great for linux. It costs barely anything, makes no sound and is always on. I leave torrents without thinking about it. Anything sensitive goes on encrypted drive or laptop. Reboots in 10 seconds. Software just keeps getting better and better instead of going to shit like macOS or windows. Treat it like my own public PC and don't faff too much with security. Backups are quick and restores are rediculously easy. Don't have need for any more processing power. Have a big TV with Pi2 with kodi and chromecast and hacked wii for everything else. Tried pihole and other projects but it's a waste of time compared to default raspbian with whatever apps you like to use... personally I have a hub with a usb mixedr and a bunch of music apps installed. If I had some geeky projects that needd some power would just get a VPS.

Is... is that NES made of lego?

And on a serious note, how well does it perform as a emulation machine? I might drop the dosh on one for exactly that. Until what gen does it emulate accurately/with good quality?

it's good for things that require a home server that uses very low amounts of power, and also small projects. Most people here are 15 and/or don't pay an electricity bill so naturally you see a lot of "lol I bought one and didn't have a use for it that's why OTHER PEOPLE ARE STUPID FOR BUYING THIS" posts

which just makes me weep for humanity... seriously you kids are fucking stupid

>Is... is that NES made of lego?
Yes, it has the pi inside

It emulates all older console generations before the N64/PS1 gen without a flaw but with some optimization you can get the n64 and ps1 games running flawless too

i don't know why this site is constantly negative about this device
I had 3, sold 1 & had over 100 watchers on ebay
2 I have are essential. they replace PCS for common tasks

idiot

I prefer Kodi's Chorus web UI, but volumio is great.

Yep.

Nobody here understands that the gpio pins give a shit ton of features to it. I made mine into a radio station for cars next to my house using them. Pretty sure thats illegal tho

I have the XU4 and I'm really disappointed by the lack of proper mali drivers.
Apart from that, the XU4 is pretty good, even though the community is (obviously) smaller than for the pi.

>no gigabit ethernet
>hard drive connected via USB
Even on the Pi 3
But you can get a little more out of it if you buy a USB 3.0 LAN adapter and use this instead of the normal port.

I'd like to see a miniature Raspberry Pi-like computer.

Very small and underpowered so you could make it into an mp3 player.

>illegal

Might be some licensing issues with whatever music you play, but if merely putting out a weak signal were illegal, all those people who play music synced with their Christmas lights would be screwed.

It's illegal to send on those frequencies w/o a license because they are reserved for commercial use.
Furthermore, it's also illegal to transmit anything w/o a HAM license if it's outside the very limited bands that are open to anyone.
There's also the problem of transmission strength, but if it's only powered by the pi's GPIO pins, I wouldn't worry about that.

Did you make that Lego build yourself or are the designs online? Link?

Music players are cool and all, but where do you get the music? Just fill up a hard drive full of files?

Using a banana pi as NAS right now
Will buy a raspberry pi for retropie / kodi once I buy a TV

With a little overclocking, it'll play most games near full speed. You're probably better off with an odroid or other variations of 'Pi' like banana or orange for more power.

Retropie box

I've got several.

1. FTP / Samba server with a few 2tb hdds connected. Balls fucking slow, but it works and they're up 24 7 without using 2 dollars a day in electricity.
2. dedicated bittorrent machine with private internet access vpn connection: always on and connected through vpn. mounts smb shares from the first pi. i vnc into it (because fuck bittorrent from command line) and manage my torrents. I'll eventuall setup i2p on this to seed postman torrents.

3. retired bitcoin miner.

4. various other testing scenarious, when i code python scripts i ssh into this one and code on it so i know my code will run on python and windows.

if you can't figure out a couple good uses for a pi then you don't belong on Sup Forums ... or wait.. maybe you do.

Sjwpi. Fuck them and fuck you.

it isn't. they all have the ethernet sharing the bus with the usb. pi is shit for a NAS and i know other SMBs do nas way better. pi is just the cheapest.

>raspberry pi
Does this have USB client? Why would anyone get this over a Beaglebone Black or other device with USB gadget support?

5. pi that is set aside to be a firewall.

6. retropi machine and kodi

7 pi to take on the go with a battery to be used as a pirate box

I've got one running the Unifi controller software for my WAP

I use one as a Security Camera (PushBullet notification when door opened, videos uploaded to dropbox.) Did use a RasPi2 for this but just finished making one with the RasPi0W, that little fucker is boss.

RasPi3 as a time-lapse jobby, is fun. Also use pic related to dual-boot an awesome RetroPi install.

It's just nice to also have quick access to a Linux computer at any time.

RasPi2
RasPi3
RasPi0 x 2
RasPi0W

raspberry pi's are apples version of the commodore 64, good os, teaches you stuff, productive, yet absolute trash for anything else

Isn't it only illegal if you broadcast past 100 feet or something?

>no gigabite ethernet
Fucking this

Gigabit NICs are not that fucking expensive. I'd gladly pay the extra $5 after markup for a gigabit NIC. I mean, fuck, I get more than 100Mb/s over WAN.

>Owning shitty british botnet

Yeah, I'll pass

Im using mine to build a small ai robot
The moveable parts are being made by a 3d printer
Im using wifi for "unlimited memory"

Definitely using google for a lot of its feature

too stupid for linux and fun, cheap SMBs.

wireless storage

Options for Kodi in my living room:

Raspberry Pi in another room
Windows NAS ~15 feet away from the receiver

Which is the better option? Can I use the Kodi interface over the network somehow or do I have to use HDMI? Is it worth buying another Pi to run Kodi if I already have the one?

I use a rpi3 as mediacenter connected to the TV and a rpi1 connected to my amplifier to stream music to.

I saw the design online
youtube.com/watch?v=Hz-2Y6qR67o

Yep, I have one of the first B's and use it to make timelapse videos of my view (it's a nice view)

Where you get the case? love it

It sits in a closet somewhere, never moving, and just functioning as my http server (which I use as a personal filehost, among other things), permanent syncthing node, discord bot client, vpn (for when I take my laptop somewhere), and some other minor things I think. Overall I'm happy I bought it.

in a college course we were taught to fuck around with knx and other busses for automating. used a pi to intercept/ inject knx packets.

Why does it only have 2gb of RAM? This isn't 2009, programs are bloated as fuck and more RAM is needed to run them properly

I used one as an irc server

I own 3 of them, All of them are used as a reminder to stop wasting money on stupid shit.

I got it on a spanish online shops which sells many pi related stuff (i'm from Europe)
raspipc.es/public/home/index.php?ver=tienda&accion=verArticulo&idProducto=1305
But one part was missing so i don't recommend this shop
I bet there are several shops which offer this lego case

That's so cute.

Maybe it's different in your country. But usually signal strength is not measured in distance, but in watt.

Have one running an Apache Tomcat server for my own Home Automation project. One for Kodi in the bedroom.

I have several OrangePis and NanoPis, all with the Allwinner H3 and since I've moved I cannot connect them to Wifi anymore and have no clue why. I even brought my old router and everything except for the modem is the same, but every time I try to connect I get a full system crash and a stacktrace.

Its also not the USB wifi, that works on my pc and the raspberry pis.

Kodi with retropi and a bluetooth controller hooked up to a projector and a big bluetooth speaker with aux input.

Movie nights and gaming nights on the beach are fun.

always-on torrent box

oh, nothing user. nothing at all

Currently using it as a seedbox and a mediaserver

There are so many things wrong with this statement, I don't even know where to start.

Hi Volumnio shill. I actually got one for my dad, he now uses it to listen to his music in FLACâ„¢.

If oyu want the best ps1 emulation just a psp. It has an internal emulator and games run like they are on the psx.

It's practically a desktop for me, but I use CLI, gui desktop seems awfully slow

Pics please!

Don't listen to the other guys. A Raspberry Pi 3 will play all PS1 games at full speed without overclocking. Now i haven't personally tested every single game, but I have about 100 and none of them have slowdown that doesn't occur on the actual system itself. With the current update 4.1.whateverItis, n64 emulation is improving. and DS support is there too, but its pretty fresh so don't expect it to be perfect.

>with private internet access
How did you get that working? I even emailed them and they said they're currently not supporting pi's

>hackerman

I am curious what you use yours for?

me
>use to have wifi password that used same network as the servers at retail store
>made rpi ssh TOR backdoor
>rpi at home had ssh hidden service
>had my rpi hidden behind some furniture that had electrical outlet
>heard the store was closing down soon
>went and picked up my rpi

and that was about it.

I have a Gen1, use it to stream content to my ipad and stream from youtube to my tv. Want to get the newest one as this one is about to die.