Why is it acceptable for any Linux distribution to release without a guide based on actual real life tasks?

Why is it acceptable for any Linux distribution to release without a guide based on actual real life tasks?

>because git gud
is not an argument

Other urls found in this thread:

kernel.org/
fsfla.org/ikiwiki/selibre/linux-libre/
tldp.org/guides.html
docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/Fedora/25/pdf/Networking_Guide/Fedora-25-Networking_Guide-en-US.pdf
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

git gud

>real life tasks

Explain.

git gud

So youre saying every linux distro should come with a guide?

they make it complicated so that normal people are turned off and then in the future, companies will be able to hire from the third world using the excuse that they don't have enough homegrown linux skilled workers

Why is it acceptable to expect everything in life to be handed to you?

Learning through trial and error and experiencing pitfalls is how you succeed.

Git gud

why you don't git gud and learn code to write an app for doing this particular task ?

What I mean is that most manuals only give you single command lines, but tehy don't spend a second saying "if this doesn't work, just try this other command, or check resources related to this problem", so that very quickly you end up with a factorial number of blog entries open in your browser trying to decide which combination may work.

tl;dr most Linux installations end up being meaningless configuration files copypastas that can't even remotely be described as "optimal"

I'm talking about release guides, so I'm obviously taking about configuration

what's the value of copypasting from a gazillion different blog entries instead of a clearly structured guide?

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

I actually learn to use Ubuntu with a guide on the web, there are plenty of it

Wtf are you talking about

Your brain is just rotten from spending too much time in the Windows ecosystem. Just stick with Ubuntu for now until you get used to Unix, then you'll realize just how retarded what you're saying actually is.

Hint, hint: Read the fucking man pages.

>but tehy don't spend a second saying "if this doesn't work, just try this other command, or check resources related to this problem"

That would require a basic level of human empathy that loonix neckbeards just don't have.

Hello Mr Pajeet. How is your day?

please, define "Linux distribution"

>if this doesn't work, just try this other command, or check resources related to this problem

And if the other command doesn't work you expect them to say "if this doesn't work, just try this other command" again right? You're retarded, that would never end. Either learn how the system works or fuck off Wincuck.

you're proving 's point. You just want to be told "Type this", without ever having to think about what it is you're doing or how anything works. You're actively trying to avoid learning, except maybe by rote.

>needing a guide to browse the internet
lol fuck off you tech illiterate faggot

kernel.org/
fsfla.org/ikiwiki/selibre/linux-libre/

>user why u have uninstall facebook on my pc ?

I don't understand? You just click the browser or word processor or whatever and do your stuff?

when did I even suggest this? I'm just acknowledging the fact that most "beginner guides" already are just a bunch of lines to copypaste with little or no information on how to actually realize what's going on

the goal of any UI is that you don't need to learn to use it

see, there's no guide on smartphones

did you ever use any distribution where system configuration has to be done by the user during first start up?

No, not really. I started with Mandrake 9.2 in 2003. Ubuntu is my current text editor launcher.

>have issue
>google guide
>shit the solution doesn't work
>google the issue
>see other people who have the issue before I did and had it solved by other people who had the issue who solved their issue by googling about others
>do this 100000 times
>now you are a lunix master

This is why I would recommend 'just werks' distros like linux mint or eOS to people who aren't no life NEETs.

The Debian Admin Handbook and Arch wikis cover plenty of useful topics. It's not like Windows comes with a guide on downloading installers from the internet.

If you're the kind of person who uses the "Help" command in Microsoft Word, kill yourself and stick to your dumbed down play-dough OS.

it's not related to linux only, but every problem since the begining

Fedora User Guides are also pretty good and available in pdf and other formats

That applies to everything including and especially Windows.

my concern is that in the end most configuration problems are quite menial and you only need to go through them once every several years when you re-install the system, but if you're not already familiar with the problem you are forced to go through several partial sources instead of an overall resource with pointers to advanced topics on the side

So you want the distro to come with a guide on the terminal and all terminal applications that comes with the system?
I guess someone could do that, but given there is many types of new users, I don't know what you want it to say.

If it should be distro specific, maybe you want package manager commands covered.
Maybe all bash should be covered.

One way of explaining pipes would be by explaining how a lot of applications are designed as filters and you basically proces text by connecting pipes.
But would that make sense to everyone?
It is very specific demographic that doesn't know this yet understands what this means as a developer and as a user.

And should it only cover basic navigation or should it cover all the classic tools?

Because there is good comprehensive guides on this, you should check out tldp.org.

But that is all pretty dry compared to what "most users" want to read.

So maybe you want guides for the DE?
I actually think this is a decent thing, unity has the best thing I believe. They have a short and too the point hotkey overview that pops up when you hold super.
Something like that could be visible all the time until they tick the box "only show when I hold super" or something, letting them get used to hotkeys on the new system.

But as soon as the user learns these hotkeys, they should be able to use the system for general things.

Enjoy being stuck at sub-1% market share because you think people want to have to fix your broken shit themselves. Fuck, at this rate, FreeBSD will pass Loonix.

>look up "(command) command linux"
>read manual page explaining everything about the command
>learn about what you're doing
>but if you choose not to, then it's the world's fault that you don't learn

Are you stupid or something?

who gives a shit about market share?

What configuration problems?
Can you give an example of a thing you want a guide for that should be on this "all in one guide"?

Yeah poor documentation is a problem in some areas. The best I can tell you is read man pages that are good for a lot of things you need to do and google for the rest when the man pages are total shit. If you're an English major or just good at writing documents I recommend you do this yourself so no one has to suffer what you went through. Best way to fix something is do it yourself and let others learn from your pains.

what I'm really talking about is stuff like network configuration, sudoers setup, etc.

it's stuff that you will eventually get to work, but you'll wonder "did I just put a hole in my OS security just to force my way around a simple problem?"

network configuration

$search_engine_of_choice the command / config value / whatever you want to know about
read the arch and/or gentoo wiki result for a general understanding of the subject
read your distro's wiki result for distro-specific details

congratulations, you may now brag about being an advanced linux user online.

>open browser
>type "ubuntu [thing I want to do]"
works every time

This is just me personally but I don't think anyone should ever have to bother setting up networking or sudo.

I'm sure very few users would be able to piece together such a guide, what I wonder is if the people behind each distro would be capable

if you're using a wireless connection that's required for both Slackware or Archlinux (sticking to stuff I checked out today)

Canonical and Red Hat have the resources to hire documentation people but I don't know if it's consider a major issue for them right now to hire on staff that just writes documentation for them. It'd be nice to see a push in the free software movement to bring in English majors that are also interested in the Free Software movement that would help out with documentation. Everyone likes to code things but there isn't enough people out there that will give detail documentation on the software they code. Nothing feels more shitty than downloading a cool application and loading up the man page and it just gives you a synopsis of what the program was created for but gives nothing useful on how to actually use it.

Yeah, I don't use distributions like that anymore. I used Slackware as my first distro years back but now I just stick with Ubuntu cause it has all the features I need and everything sets up automatically for me. Much faster to get up and running compared to distributions that make me set up more things with minimal increase in performance.

You got a few solutions.
1- google it
2- archwiki
3- tldp.org/guides.html

I think they don't bother because there's this culture of 'Do it yourself, faggot' that surrounds linux so everyone who goes into it knows what they're getting into so there's this lack of expectations. I know some who would seriously not help you because they think it'll make you learn on your own which they think is better. I just think they're fucking lazy cunts. I want to fix my problem not spend hours googling or waiting for people to reply to my tickets or some shit.

linux and its accociated software isn't a store-bought product made by a single company
it's used by the people who make it or are willing to learn how it works on their own
technical documentation is all that should be expected

sometimes giving a complete answer to a problem (for example; a fully-formed command) is fine, but not always
learning how to use a program isn't done by giving single-purpose commands/arguments without explaining how it's formed

for example, if someone asks me how to "convert a video to webm" with ffmpeg, i could give an example, and it might do fine once or twice, but without the information provided by ffmpeg's manual, he would not know what the arguments i gave mean or how it can be altered to suit other situations

docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/Fedora/25/pdf/Networking_Guide/Fedora-25-Networking_Guide-en-US.pdf

also, regarding laziness, if i did explain everything about the aforementioned ffmpeg arguments, i'd just end up repeating part of the ffmpeg manual, so why not just refer him to the manual to begin with? that's what it's there for

do you mean that the same people releasing a fully functional distro don't know the ins and outs or that they can't reference the relevant documentation?

>sudo apt-get install photoshop

If this command doesn't work try

>sudo apt-get install gimp

Linux wins again.

the point is more about a comprehensive Linux manual, manpages is useful once you know what you need, but how should you approach something like "I want to setup this or that, but I'm not sure what my options are?"

pretty much all distros come with manuals for all included software

most distros have relatively very little software which is written by the people who made/maintain the distro

The i3 userguide is pretty great

One of the best I've seen

>I want to setup this or that, but I'm not sure what my options are?
use a search engine to either find something directly from keywords, or an answered similar question by someone else

this is no different to how it works with other operating systems

*I mean only as an example of a good guide

What's funny is gentoo comes with a guide that literally shows you exactly what to type at every stage to get a working desktop system.

Mate, if you don't find a Ubuntu/Mint thread/guide for real life tasks then you are full of shit.

There's several books on the current versions of each of the productivity distros, and their free official documentation is pretty comprehensive. What "actual real life tasks" are you struggling with?

please, define a productivity distro

The Debbies and Rip-ems and such.

A bible to be exact. A Linux bible.

yes, I'm using Debian and I'm feeling less triggered then with Slackware/Arch

>"The Linux bible."
>
>Linux is a kernel commonly used in operating systems such as GNU and Android.
>
>THE END.

>learning how to do Ubuntu
>hurr pajeet durr

That's what blogs and Stack Overflow are for.