/tpg/ - ThinkPad General

Previous thread: IRC: #/tpg/ on irc.rizon.net

Other business laptops are also welcome in /tpg/ (e.g. Dell Latitude/Precision, HP EliteBook/ZBook).
----
If you're looking for purchase advice, READ THE BUYERS GUIDE FIRST. Then post, stating budget and requirements (e.g. size and performance).
Don't buy anything OTHER THAN T, X AND W/P SERIES if you want the Real ThinkPad Experience™

Recommended models:
T420 - 14", normal size
X220 - 12.5", ultraportable
----
Why ThinkPad? (also applies to other business laptops)
>Used machines are plentiful and cheap.
>Excellent keyboards - tactile feel and quiet.
>Great durability: chassis uses a magnesium rollcage for structural integrity, with high quality plastic body panels.
>Utilitarian design: e.g. indicator LEDs, 7 row keyboard layout on older models.
>Docking stations that easily turns your laptop into a desktop.
>Easy to repair, upgrade and maintain thanks to readily available service manuals for every model. Spare parts are easy and cheap to obtain.
>The best trackpoint (that red thing in the middle of the keyboard). Great for those who type a lot or hate swiping their fingers all over a touchpad.
>Excellent GNU/Linux & *BSD support.
----
Used ThinkPad buyers guide:
ktgee.net/tpg

xsauc buyers guide:
dankpads.com

EPP discount for new ThinkPads (USA & Canada only, usually 15%+ off):
pastebin.com/JVwVGVTW

Helpful links and resources (Wiki, lookup tools and wallpapers):
pastebin.com/DYjEnVq1

Other urls found in this thread:

thinkwiki.org/wiki/T420_and_T430_HD+_Screen_Upgrade
forum.thinkpads.com/viewtopic.php?t=122381
ricardo.ch/kaufen/computer-und-netzwerk/notebooks-und-zubehoer/intel/core/core-i7/lenovo-t530-i7-3-30ghza-8gb-nvidia-neu/v/an893079784/
ventilatorxor.wordpress.com/2011/01/08/fixing-loose-thinkpad-screen-lid-hinge/
ebay.com.au/itm/1Privacy-Screen-Protector/201610175814
t.me/thinkpadgeneral
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Hey i am loving everything about my new t420 except the screen. And I'm in the mood to tinker. Is this available anywhere?

>my thinkpad temps while light browsing

>Opera 12.18 40C
>Palemoon 50C
>Chrome 60C

really makes you think

What's your current screen?

It is the 1366x768 TN panel. Pretty shit, worse than my 2009 era Macbook pro. I have money so that is not a problem. Maybe I should have just got a t470 but I'm enjoying this computer a lot.

Well here's all you need to know.
thinkwiki.org/wiki/T420_and_T430_HD+_Screen_Upgrade

The original 900p screen won't ever compare to your old macbook screen, so it might be worth looking at getting the alienware IPS one that's compatible.
forum.thinkpads.com/viewtopic.php?t=122381

There are other options for even better screens like the 51nb mod, but they're complicated and good luck getting parts for it.

What's the average temperature for an X220 under full load?

I get 75C, that correct? I reapplied thermal paste.

Looks like the alienware screen is the option. That is not an easy modification though. Scared of the extended cable fucking up desu.

what model? My X230 does 50C in Vivaldi and Firefox.

Pretty low temp. Fan must be spinning like hell. With heavy load mine went up to 90C. Consider yourself lucky.

Nevermind I dont need to extend the cable for the alienware screen...

Did you try changing the thermal paste?

Yep. Paste was new, cooler clean, fat at max RPM. I considered it normal though. Never had any problems with it and my desktop PC also went to 90C from time to time

>having to replace thermal paste in a laptop
shit build quality desu... heatsinks should just be soldered on

Thinkpads can resist some water, are durable, cheap, have a lot of unique shit

But my friend, if you want good design or build quality, look elsewhere. xx20 thinkpads are made of cheap, flimsy plastic. If you take the keyboard bezel, that bends so much that you could probably wrap it around your arm.

>replying to a person who wants heatsinks to be soldered on
>completely missing the topic
nigger you what, b8 was obvious

>are cheap
the 3000 dollar gap in my wallet says otherwise :^)

(thanks x1 yoga)

T420

I am thinking of getting a (most likely stolen) T460 for 450 euros, that seems to be working fine, anything I should consider before going for it?

Can't really compare the two but it's kinda weird that Chrome produces high temps while Vivaldi doesn't.

If it's stolen you could end up in Jail.

I've seen thinkpads but idk wtf they are good for.
Can someone give me a tl;dr?

>comfy to use
>cheap and durable
>justwerks
>meme status
>meme status means shit's well documented and there's lots of support

Why do people reapply thermal paste? Is it only needed for select models, or for every older model?

I have a budget of 600 bucks. Is the T530 worth it? I can obtain one for 480 and an original new battery for another 70.

My requirements are:

- high resolution
- should be able to run GNU / Linux (Fedora)
- long battery life

Also, I have 8GB DDR3 RAM at home which I could maybe put in and a 780 GB SATA SSD 2.5"

this is what I would like to buy:

ricardo.ch/kaufen/computer-und-netzwerk/notebooks-und-zubehoer/intel/core/core-i7/lenovo-t530-i7-3-30ghza-8gb-nvidia-neu/v/an893079784/

Prices are in CHF; 1 CHF is worth 0,993 $, so just assume 1 CHF = 1 USD

It's recommended if that thing hasn't been opened in decades.

I got a refurbished one and I opened it yesterday. It reached 90C under full load, and as I described here after reapplying it I got 75C at worst, but still had to ask to be sure. That thermal paste was dripping mad.

Older models: Cheap, more powerful than some laptops today at a similar price, pretty easy to service and disassemble, pretty easy to find parts for em, upgrades, funny shit like the thinklight and fingerprint reader, the trackpoint.

Newer models: A mix, I don't have any idea but it seems that sometimes Lenovo tries really hard to become Apple.

>Lenovo tries really hard to become Apple.
yes I wanted to get the new T460S and the RAM is onboard...

All I'm saying is, they have all these different series of laptops. They should leave the thinkpad line for thinkpad people and then make some macbook clone on the side.

Hell if you're competing against the macbook by trying to become that way you better make a high quality trackpad.

>want the model that's slim because of compromises like soldered RAM
>complain that the RAM is soldered
What you want is the T460.

The T460 non-S is not available with the higher resolution than Full HD, this is why I want the T460S

way too much for a T530

>get really cheap x301
>check bios before doing anything else, toggle the settings to how I want them
>keyboard beep is on
>turn it off
>keep getting annoying beeps whenever I press some key combinations in linux
>turn keboard beep back on
>it stops making the beeps

How do I tighten the hinges on my T420?

Could you tell me what the acceptable price for a T530 with Full-HD is?

I've heard jamming a wire in the gap that forms over time helps. The main other long-term solution is just to replace them.

$450

What gap? So there's no way to just tighten a screw?

>It's recommended if that thing hasn't been opened in decades.
But your X220 hasn't exactly existed for decades..?

>Hell if you're competing against the macbook by trying to become that way you better make a high quality trackpad.
This, its not like Macbooks are even bad. In fact, they're good in what they do. So good that clones tend to automatically be worse in one way or another, the trackpad being one of the common ways.

As I understand it, it was never opened. I'm not sure when it was produced but that seems like a while ago.

>But your X220 hasn't exactly existed for decades

you dense nigger, opened in decades as in never opened since it came out of the gookpad sweatshop

This is the fix I was talking about
ventilatorxor.wordpress.com/2011/01/08/fixing-loose-thinkpad-screen-lid-hinge/
Looseness is caused by loss of friction in the hinge - I was thinking along the lines that it might get worn away over time, but according to guide it's usually a case of the fluids they put it in dissipating.

Well, you could always try tightening the screws first to be sure, but if they were coming loose you'd probably be noticing the palm rest getting pushed up.

Is it worth paying 80€ for an IPS screen for the X220?

I'm really, really considering it.

yes it's worth it

Aside from the alienware screen, no.

I still have $300 I saved like a year ago thinking that maybe a fhd mod for the T420 that works would appear in the future but hasn't yet and yes I'm willing to pay that for the mod alone even without the screen.

fml

Got my elitebook 2170p, extremely comfy so far.

Great keyboard, good touchpad, if a bit small vertically. Honestly wish they'd done like the t230 and replaced the bottom buttons with extra touchpad space.

Screen has mediocre viewing angles, just like I wanted.

It's not too bulky, easy to hold with one hand since the battery extends out the back and can serve as a grip to hold it with.

Temps are pretty good, as you'd expect from a HP laptop with a u series processor.

only 2 usb 3.0 ports, just barely enough, but should be manageable.

Installed Solus and so far everything works great.

really loving this laptop, would buy again if given the choice, no buyers remorse.

>Honestly wish they'd done like the t230 and replaced the bottom buttons with extra touchpad space.
The models with touchpads where the touchpad itself depresses to click still has a similarly sized deadzone at the bottom, at least with the ones I've used.

>Screen has mediocre viewing angles, just like I wanted.
You don't need to endure shit screens to get this, you can get screen covers for it. Just a random example off of ebay:
ebay.com.au/itm/1Privacy-Screen-Protector/201610175814

the screen really isn't as shity as I expected when looking at it from normal viewpoints, and the elitebook has 4 touchpad buttons, while it only really needs 2 which is what I meant.

Overall though it's a really nice laptop. I really like the keyboard, it's great.

are you that aussie nigga? congrats on the purchase, I may get one soon too.

NEW

Telegram Group

t.me/thinkpadgeneral

Sell/Discuss/Post

Ya, that's me.

Upgraded the 320GB hard drive to an old 500GB one I had laying around.

the keyboard is probably one of the easiest laptop keyboards I've used so far, with such a small size.

With 4 tabs and a youtube video running in the background, CPU is 48 degrees celcius. Not the best result, but I'm sure it'll improve once I change the thermal paste. The laptop itself doesn't feel hot and the exhause fan isn't audibly loud.

>order T420 for 150 euro
>one pops up for 120 euro

FUCKING REEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Going to college in October.
Should I buy a x220/30 now or wait to find a better deal ?

in 6 months you'll be able to get a x240 for $200

trust me I'm from the future.

I get around 72C under full load with x200s

Just got a T400 for $50 and swapped in my HEAD from old laptop.

HDD still thinks it's a Samsung computer and has all the bloatware associated with that. How do I get rid of all that and get the drive to recognize it's in a Thinkpad and act accordingly? Getting all the right drivers and such

WTF I just found out that the ebay seller I bought from employs literal retards and they sell fleshlights on their store too.

I was trying to figure out why they were messaging me in all caps. How bad did I fuck up?

>not supporting the retard industry

I dont mind retards. I dont want my shit all fucked up.

but the X240 has a shitty layout and low voltage CPU. only good thing is FHD screen

:^)

Can you swap out the shitty 766 screen on the x250 for a 1080 one?

Is it possible to configure telegram to not be so noisy. I don't want an audio notification on every new message. I'd only want to be notified if someone @'d me.

Holy crap, I didn't know they had such huge trackpads these days

>latest crapbook

Only on the new one

Where do you buy parts for the old ThinkPads? All I get is this everywhere

mute chats, should be on the 3 dots in the top right

ebay

Is it Goodwill? They get away with underpaying their tard labor as well, they have quite a good thing going on.

Btw sometimes they have cheap thinkpads on their auction site Shopgoodwill.com. US only probably.

T450s 5th generation i5 for 400 dollars. Should i pull the trigger

I just did that last week. The difference is abysmal but elements may get too small for some people

Just won the auction for a X230i for 124€. How did I do?

You could have at least bought an older, better model

I got it for free anyway. I'll use it as a glorified ssh machine with a nice screen

That sounds like a good price. What are the specs on that X230i?

Rate my thinkpad autism

Why so many?

don't stack them like that, it hurts.

>tfw using this more than my main machines

What video editing software do you guys use?

I cracked the display on my t60, can someone link me a replacement screen (I can't seem to find one on amazon) and a guide on how to do so

They were cheap. Don't think I paid more than 250 for any of them. The only expensive one is the X1 Yoga.

Got a busted dell e5540 from work is the max I can put in it a 4300u-i5? I want to beef this thing with a i7 but I don't see any nobody for it on ebay. H-help Sup Forums

Anybody own this piece of shit charger? Why does the 100% light never light up? Despite being 100% changed?

Is it not compatible with the 70++ battery?

Why does the battery icon flashes sometimes?

Fuck it stopped flashing even before I finish typing this.

>tfw i bought this T520 last week for 135 yuro's
Did i do good Sup Forums?
It was priced low due to multiple reasons:
>Had no HDD, salvaged from a old laptop
>had only 2 gb ram, salvaged again
>arrow key got stuck when pressing, cut the edge off with a knife, now works perfectly
Main reason is because there are some weird stains in the display, it seems like someone pressed against it too hard
Its not really annoying, but noticeable on white background
i guess it's no (big) harm

>he's using windows 8
fuck running linux
>try to install vmware
>compiling failed
>workaround is too vague

Windows it is

what you mean too small

Isnt that gonna be slow as fuck?
i tried a R50e for a while, way too slow for my liking
what are you gonna do with them?

No its an ebay store. I wasnt aware of it before I ordered. Just seems like kind of strange store that would employ handicapped people and sell fleshlights lol. I wont mind at all if everything works and is in decent condition.

2170p fag here again. I noticed the modem port is empty.

Could I put in an msata ssd?

Doesnt lenovo have a whitelist for their ports?
i remember this from researching a external gpu

You'd need to flash the bios to make it work

>lenovo

>googles 2170p
idk, i thought he replaced the display with a higher one
WHAT ARE YOU DOING IN A THINKPAD THREAD?!??!?!?

Just cleaned up and finished ricing an X120e with Ubuntu MATE. This machine is so damn comfy.

Yes

read the OP, elitebook and latitude users are welcome friends of /tpg/

guys someone is offering a t410 for 170 euro's .
is it a good offer or bad ?

You don't know how to use a Think Pad.

Would you rather elitebooks and latitudes make their own threads?

What RAM did you buy to upgrade for your x220, /tpg/?

Yes. Hell, I'd give them their own board just to get rid of them.