vez.mrsk.me/freebsd-defaults.txt
cnet.com/news/report-of-fbi-back-door-roils-openbsd-community/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

just buy best you can afford fagner

wrt54gs v1.0 tomato shibby 250mhz oc

Only router I managed to get usable QoS with

an old optiplex 755 running pfsense

TP-Link Archer VR900

It shat itself recently and needed a hard reset and several reboots to start working properly again. I should buy an el-cheapo backup router in case it happens again...

ADSL2 Modem + DIR-615 DDWRT

pic related

Can't use a router because PPoE. I learned that the hard way. Can't find any decent modems that support DDWRT.

For a brief while I daisy-chained my Linksys router to the stock modem, but it drastically reduced network latency and essentially halved download/upload speeds.

>using routers

Sure for phone internet from 1980 or wifi, feel free

2013 xeon 16gb ram pfsense+squid "router"

+1

dell 760 running esxi running pFsense and pihole here.

these are perfect router boxes.

Cable modem plugged into a PC running pfSense. My old wireless router (some ancient Asus from 2007) is plugged into it too, in access-point-only mode.

The PC is a dual-core Pentium on an Asus ITX board, with an Intel dual-port NIC stuck into it. This is about 50 times more powerful than my router needs to be, but I used the board and CPU because I had them sitting around and the NIC because it was like $30 on ebay.

What is good about pfSense?

RT-N66U with DD-WRT. Opened it and inserted a microSD card into it and are using it as a mini-NAS as well as a wireless access point.

Mikrotik RB951G-2HND here.

It's a great router but a little confusing to configure. I'll probably switch to UniFi in the next year or two.

Scaleable - Its as powerful as the hardware its installed on and can be tailored to suit your needs.
Very Modular, you can add functionality as needed.
Secure - runs FreeBSD so its not full of holes.
Easy to Virtualize
Industry Standard - there are a wide range of discussion and support topics for pfSense
Sexy - as already discussed runs off freebsd.

this will waste a lot of power... Better get an OpenWrt router

so get a hardware firewall like an old watchguard xtm, load pf on the cf card and presto.

Can it QoS?

Tried shitton of routers and qos never works so I'm still on 12 years old wrt54gs running tomato. Have to run it at 250mhz and limit number of connections to 1k just to be able to shape 12/2 traffic.

>Secure - runs FreeBSD so its not full of holes.

You must be joking, right? FreeBSD has no exploit mitigations. Even MS Windows has had them for years.

vez.mrsk.me/freebsd-defaults.txt

Educate yourself. FreeBSD is not a secure OS.

how's the power usage on these?

~160-250 watts

Edgerouter + AP AC Pro.

Don't be a consumer pleb

>RT-N66U
Would also recommend Asus 66 series with 3x AC antennae; very good

Ubiquiti Edgerouter X and UAP-AC-LITE with a Raspberry Pi running the Unifi controller. I'm paying for 150Mb/s down and getting 180Mb/s, both wired and wireless. I've got VLANs and all that shit. This is seriously business-class hardware and it was cheap as shit.

Why the raspberry pi? the unifi controller doesn't need to be running 24/7, only for setup

I wanted to play around with a Raspberry Pi and I'm also used to the Aruba's we use at work where the web interface is always available. It's kind of annoying to have to pull out the Pi and hook it up when I want to make a configuration change.

Of course, I'm thinking about moving the Pi and using it to run Kodi for my HT, and I guess the web interface would still be available that way.

Does TP-Link offer the best routers? If not then who does?

You can use a router with a PPoe faggot,just ask for the credentials

Turris Omnia

Pretty shit explanation. Nice digits tho.

>ITT people post consumer grade shitboxes

>using backdoored Cisco bullshit instead of OpenBSD-based solutions
Brah, fuck off with that CIA shit.

>instead of OpenBSD-based solutions
cnet.com/news/report-of-fbi-back-door-roils-openbsd-community/

>cnet.com/news/report-of-fbi-back-door-roils-openbsd-community/
>2010
>audited 9001 times since then
You sure showed me.
There are more reasons in that article to go with OpenBSD than not. You can even read how butthurt DARPA got about its superior security.

keep on believing that open sores software is actually audited

>There are more reasons in that article to go with OpenBSD than not. You can even read how butthurt DARPA got about its superior security.
You didnt read the article did you? Or the emails?

>This is also probably the reason why you lost your DARPA funding, they more than likely caught wind of the fact that those backdoors were present and didn't want to create any derivative products based upon the same.

i'm using the isp provided gateway device because my old asus router puked

>use enterprise equipment at home
>
my lab equipment just sits under the bed

I can only assume you failed at replying. And actually the fans can be replaced with lower speed ones and it works fine. Its what I did. Its not silent but my workstation is louder.

Figured I'd ask here since related subject:
I know ethernet is better but anyone recommend any pci-e wifi cards? What do you use?

>I know ethernet is better but anyone recommend any pci-e wifi cards?
You can use Cisco Aironet Access Points in workgroup bridge mode as your "wifi card", and then just plug your ethernet cable from your PC in to them.

ac1750 netgear nighthawk
cm600 netgear modem

>dd-wrt
how is your WAN-LAN throughput?

Rural areas force you to compromise. I would go with anything else if it was possible, but for now this has to do. 50 up, 20 down and no limitations, the latency is bad-ish though.

intel cards work bretty gud on Linux but >firmware
Some atheros ar9000-series are god-tier (fully open drivers).

I have a Fortigate on my edge

zoom 5370 16x4 cable modem
netgear r6400 ac1750 router.

>tfw this is the fastest internet available in the area

fuck you twc (now spectrum)

Ubiquiti ERL-3
Ubiquiti UAP AC PRO
Zyxel GS1200-8HP