ITT: vintage/obsolete programs that you still like to use from time to time

ITT: vintage/obsolete programs that you still like to use from time to time

Other urls found in this thread:

computer.howstuffworks.com/napster.htm
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beep_Media_Player
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Linux is only free if you don't value your time.

kek this

/thread

Derp. Are you a Winbabby or Macfag?

(you)
this will get so much (you)

I use both Windowns and linux.

I use all 3 major OS's but using Linux on a desktop is just stupid unless you run Ubuntu with default settings and deal with the bugs/annoyances

>shill didn't even read the OP
kek

Spacemonger is so fucking useful I'm not happy it was picked up by a shit company who can't even get their own programs to work together.

Spacemacs is way better than vanilla, but it's still the same 40 years old emacs inside.

FPBP

Muh nigga.

Pic related because Impulse Tracker still doesn't work good enough with Dosbox.

Epic post, include me in the reddit screencap.

looks pretty sexy but I prefer the normal emacs bindings

Hey, you should try how it works on linux with wine. I'm serious, I have to play the original sokoban through the dosbox and one day it occurred to me to try via wine and it works.

Epic post fellow Redditor, here's an upvote :)

>original sokoban

Damn that takes me back. I just saw a remake of it on Steam like 2 days ago and remembered how much I played it as a kid.

OpenRC

I've also used all the "3 major OS:s" in the past few years and I think they're all pretty equal when it comes to straight up problems, they're just all a little different.

>Windows
Can be a bitch to maintain, often kinda unreliable, very abusive towards its user. I don't like Windows much, it is the one of the three I've used the least in the past years. The update system is always annoying.

>macOS/OS X/whatever the fuck its called nowadays
Occasionally has problems, they may or may not get fixed with time. My Safari was horribly unreliable all the time yet it was the only browser worth using, as others were a big-ass drain on battery life. At one point, the OS had problems with wi-fi. Also, if something crashes, it is often a big, nasty crash, it doesn't happen that often tho - but even with Windows, if a program crashes, it usually doesn't require a reboot. On OS X, it often means that, at least on my machine.

>GNU/Linux
Can be a bitch to setup depending on you hardware, works great if you have compatible hardware and don't make mistakes when changing stuff around (or just stick with some defaults). Shit gets more annoying if something common/needed - a format or a piece of hardware or even a filesystem - isn't well supported. Half the annoyances don't exist if you are already an user (that is, you can pick your hardware so that it will be supported)

I bet I get more FPS (fish per second) than all you fags.

what that actually looks good

It is good, it just hasn't been updated in years.

More like epic butthurt

Dosbox? Fuck that shit, WinUAE faggot,.

xDDDDDDDDDDDDD

You got them!

SAW32.

spacemacs is no needlessly bloated, though

Llama whippers representing.

Was napster torrent technology? How did it work exactly, I know it was p2p...

Read up user
computer.howstuffworks.com/napster.htm

Simple tool to backup NTFS partitions.
Since 95 I think.

ah yes, ye olde Norton Ghost

dc++

Still using this shit
I never skip lama

same story w/ UNIX-like software too...
still haven't found a program to replace xmms

anyone have an exe of this? I wanna pull that raster pattern out of the exe bundle.

is this some minimal linux thing?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beep_Media_Player

i have a piece of software called Power Chords that was originally released when Windows 3.1 was around
i got it free (on floppy disks) with a sound card, way back in the mists of time
i've still never found a piece of software that suits my song writing/jamming style so well. it's great for making a beat, putting in chords and simple melodies and organising them into a song
i still dig it out from time to time