/sqt/ - Stupdid Questions Tread

Other urls found in this thread:

gizmodo.com/why-you-should-stop-using-telegram-right-now-1782557415
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Include_directive#Purpose
wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Intel#Feature_support)
youtube.com/watch?v=U25vhhE50kI
amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B007XACV8O/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1489434143&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=vrm heatsink
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131795
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

What's a free software solution for instant messaging between a Linux distribution and an IPhone?

No emails pls (I would, but my provider doesn't offer free IMAP or POP3 to access them and the web interface is slow).

What is the best third party wallpaper program for windows 10? I have dual monitors, one vertical and one horizontal, and I want to be able to change the fit type of the wallpaper specifically for the vertical monitor but it seems like that's not an option baked into the OS itself.

telegram

Telegram is shit tier

The "Sup Forums way" would be to make a custom wallpaper in GIMP. You don't need our permission to install whatever shitware you find web searching. What I do is default to having a full screen mintty/ssh on the second monitor so the wallpaper is rarely seen. This also makes me aware when the thing I'm logged into goes offline.

Bump this please.

Reference sucks

How so?

I have a AMD Radeon graphics card which may be not supported by Ubuntu 16.04.
What should I do? Will upgrading to Ubuntu 16.10 or downgrading to 14.04 solve the issue? If yes, will it work as good as the graphics card works on Windows? Also will have to configure my computer or will the system work perfectly after upgrading or downgrading?

Am I damaging my computer by not using a OS supporting the graphics card?
Also my laptop takes like ~50 seconds to boot? Is that because of the incompatible graphics card?

That's not what I asked mate

Telegram is the one app experts come out clearly against. You're better off using pretty much any other security app, even wire

gizmodo.com/why-you-should-stop-using-telegram-right-now-1782557415

Still true. It's like buying a day 1 console. You're getting the shittiest version they can put out. Moreso, because they don't underclock or stick extra shitty cooling solutions on those.

How do you know so much stuff about about hardware. I am really impressed!

Yeah yeah, but I've been using reference since 2010 so I don't give a fuck. Only difference is the noise level which is improved and I am used to anyway. On a reference 980Ti from EVGA now.

Appart from being newer, what makes the $1900 MacBook Pro more expensive than the $1550 model?

The cheaper model's specs are better than the more expensive model's. Is the new model only more expensive because of the color display and touchbar?

As a software developer, is there any reason to prefer the more expensive model over the cheaper?

How does RPM fan control work when the fan is connected straight to PSU through MOLEX ?
Also how do splitters from one 4pin header to two 4pin fans work ? Do they get half the power or are they both fully powered ?

It doesn't

The fans draw as much power as they normally would but the tachometer signal only comes from one fan

Got an offer to buy Asus ROG Matrix Platinum 780TI for $150, is it worth it? Currently building a rig on a budget and that's about as much as I wanted to spend for gpu.

Please reply to this one too.

I assume you're talking about the splitter, so the RPM works only on one fan, or it depends on one fan ? Didn't fully understand
I saw that the higher tier CPU coolers that come with 2 fans, like Noctua, use the splitter, so I would assume, it's not crippling the fans, but I can't find buying one standalone locally, and it's fucking bullshit, now I have one case fan plugged into molex and two fans still sitting in package since I couldn't connect them both to CPU header

Zorin is now top 5 on distrowatch

is it cancer or no?

firmware fan control shouldn't let it damage itself

The tachometer is a signal the computer gets back from the fan so it knows what speed its running. The computer adjusts the PWM control according to this to get the desired speed. If the fans are the same the splitter should run both fans at the same speed, if the fans are different then they could end up running at different speeds

Why do Roboto, Arial, Helvetica and Verdana fuck up on Linux?

A few days ago, I started getting these popups when playing a select few games
namely:
>For Honor
>Doom

This is a surprise to me, as I'm having a tough time imagining this would be an issue since I have a pretty decent computer. Stats in pic related as well

Any idea whats going on? Can I really not run these games?

Is there a limit on how large for loops can be in C++? The following code gives a stack overflow error. It seems to work if I reduce the 10,000 to a smaller number like 500 though...

#include

int main()
{
int array_RMO[10000][10000] = { 0 };
for (int x = 0; x < 9999; x++)
{
for (int y = 0; y < 9999; y++)
{
array_RMO[x][y] *= 2;
}
}
return 0;
}

Please reply

Pls respond, I have to give answer in like 2 hours.

It's seems alright. especially for somebody just coming from Windows or as something to throw on a laptop for fun.
I won't run any of these "based on" distros as a main OS I'm counting on though.
You never know what to expect from somebody's customized version of a main distro, which is why most people wind up on the same handful of main distros like Debian Ubuntu and Arch after hoping around trying everyone's customized layer of stuff thrown on top of them with varying degrees of success.

Am I safe on iOS 9.3.5 or does it have any security flaws? Should I upgrade to iOS 10.2.1?

The array is the problem, not the for loop. The array needs to fit on the stack. The for loop should be able to loop at least 2^64 times, but there is probably no theoretical limit.

It does. Upgrade to the latest version -- there's even a priv esc vuln for 10.1.

I'm looking into the game dev framework pygame for Python. I don't plan to actually make something useful but just to make a couple games as practice.

As Python is quite a high level language compared to say C, at what point can I expect to run into problems with frame rates dropping on a mid tier PC? Can I still make some relatively simple 3D games?

what's the use of .h in iostream.h?

Some books had them, some books hadn't

Also, while we're at it, is c++ suitable for developing sensor based on rpi? I've learned a bit about using c++ on m80k microcontroller but back then it's just about making the LED to show correct number and such

My Sup Forums style isn't saving in Qutebrowser

I change the style to Tommorow werks no problem until I close the browser and then when I open it it's Yotsuba again

How fix?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Include_directive#Purpose

In C, you write the filename, which is called "....h"
In C++ you may omit the .h and it will automatically add .h or .hpp.
It can be, if you feel comfortable with C++, you can use it for anything.
Python is also used a lot on pi's, because you don't have to compile stuff and that speeds up development.

I have a samsung galaxy j7 that won't turn off the screen. I'm thinking it's a hardware issue.
once the 15 seconds screen timeout time passes
the screen turns off for a second then it turns itself on automatically

-developer options are off so stay awake option is off
-factory reset it twice. issue still present
-I have tried disabling many apps, system apps, force close many apps. it keeps happening.
-started the phone in safe mode. issue is still present even then.
-wiped cache from recovery menu. issue still present

any ideas?
is there any app that would force the screen to stay off until I press the power button?

make sure it doesn't delete cookies/localstorage on close.

how do I remove the window titles from the menu bar in awesome?

for example in this image, the repeated titles look ugly

Does this mean I have Vulkan support on my GPU?

Like, will that make games that use Vulkan run on my PC?

Building kernel
I have T420 with HD Graphics 3000, assuming the CPU is Sandy Bridge and looking at this (wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Intel#Feature_support) I should use i965 as video module and driver, but default used is i915 and pretty much everywhere people use i915.
Is i965 they somewhat compatible with the other? What should I use?
I'm confused

What is the most secure phone? Spooks included.

Is there a way to download web pages as a file? Some browsers can "save" for offline reading, but I need the page actually downloaded so I can transfer it to a computer.

It is gen2, so i615 after all. I feel dumb...

I should specify this is on Android.

Where can I find Eset Smart Security keys ?
All the pastebins and websites I had in my bookmark are down or not updated anymore.

local-content-can-access-remote-urls = true
local-content-can-access-file-urls = true
cookies-accept = all
cookies-store = true

this is in my conf, still doesnt work

What's a good video editing software.

Simple to use, and just to put together file from webcams and screen recordings.

I know OBS to record live, but nothing to cut.
Though I've been using the software on the Mac before, that comes with it.

ffmpeg.
shotcut if you need some more fancy editing.

I have a 1070, want a new monitor
1080p/144hz or 21:9 1440p/100hz?

Hey Sup Forums I'm new to i3. How do I bind my volume keys to control my audio?

Hi guys. I want to build a new PC. My main PC a the moment is a prebuilt with a Sandy Bridge i3 and 4GB of RAM.

I would do a bit of multitasking, host some games' servers, a bit of gaming, and some rendering.

I don't want to buy Ryzen CPUs becouse of the bad single-core performance.

Should I buy a 6800K and an X99 motherboard, and then, upgrade them on September with X299, if it's worth it?

Btw I'm using alsamixer for my audio controls via terminal.

I’m using
```
bindsym XF86AudioLowerVolume exec --no-startup-id "amixer -- set Master unmute; amixer -- set Master playback 2DB-"
bindsym XF86AudioRaiseVolume exec --no-startup-id "amixer -- set Master unmute; amixer -- set Master playback 2DB+"
bindsym XF86AudioMute exec --no-startup-id "amixer -- set Master toggle"
```

>mom gets a well written email from a random address saying she owes 3k USD or some shit
>being the retard she is, instead of asking first, she opens the attached file named zip.document or something
>says nothing happened

So I'm changing all her passwords from my PC now, but when I went on her email to check it, the email was not there, and she said she didn't delete it, so she could show me. It's not in the trash or spam folders, although she did reply to it, and I saw the address was something .co.jp and .xyz, whatever the fuck that is.

Can emails delete themselves like that? I've never heard about anything like that. Any tips you guys have? I'm thinking of just reinstalling her windows.

Maybe her mail was hacked and they deleted the mail themselves to remove any traces.

So I got 2 upgrades paths

Sell gpu and monitor and buy a Ti and a 34" ultrawide

or

Buy a 1080p/144hz, some Klipsch speakers, 8Tb of storage( HDD, data hoarder), 500gb SSD, mkg keyboard, headphones and a dac

ATM I have a i5 6500, 3TB HDD, 120SSD, generic keyboard and Hyper Cloud II and a 1080p/60hz monitor

I was thinking about that, but they didn't delete the message she sent, which shows their address. Kind of paranoid right now, since she uses that email for her bank account, although I changed both passwords.

Sauce?

How do I get my grandmother's Windows 10 computer to read things on her screen back to her in a robot voice since her eyes are so bad?

this command works in terminal cuz I have that file in ~/bin/ which is "on the path" or whatever

arch_update_check.sh

but if I usecrontab like this with some audio playing to test if it gets executed

* * * * * arch_update_check.sh

it wont play

if I set it like this

* * * * * /home/faggot/bin/arch_update_check.sh

then it works

Whats up with that? Why crontab needs full path and how to get around it to write stuff thats more easily portable?

Boeing black

you faggot cant google for shit
youtube.com/watch?v=U25vhhE50kI

I need a new external HDD > 4TB. What's the best on the market right now? I don't want to spend more than $200.

I don't know if I should as it here or on /dpt/ but whatever.
Why doesn't scanf() work? I tried using it to input multiple numbers at once, I tried to use it to input single numbers. I tried to write my variables with & or without it. I tried assigning a value to the variable before using scanf i tried to do it without it. It just doesn't work.
I try to input a double with
scanf("%f",&number); and it doesn't work.

No it is shit

when I OC my CPU can I just put the voltage straight away as high as I plan on daring having it and then just ramping up clocks until it becomes unstable?

or do I have to do that gay shit where I raise voltages a little, then clocks and then voltages... and so on?

Which is the least shitty version of Windows right now? I'm about to build a new computer and I want to put Windows on the old one for gaymen purposes. I'd prefer something that has minimal botnet and that will be supported through at least 2021.

Get Hitachi, Toshiba, or HGST if you can. Failing that, get Western digital. Avoid Seagate at all costs.

its only tiny bit faster than rx480
while having less RAM
I would not buy it

with RX480 for similar price you also get 3 years warranty

I have a Seagate external HDD amongst others. What's the problem?

>it doesn't work
Never say this. Instead say what you expected it to do and what it did instead.

However, given you said you're trying to read a double, my best guess is you need %lf instead of %f. %f is for reading floats, %lf is for doubles.

didn't work :(

I bought a 16GB (2X8GB) kit from gskill, but one of the sticks is dead
Can I RMA only one of the two sticks? If so, how would I go about doing this?
>I have visited their RMA page, but I am unsure if I can send back only one of the two sticks.

windows 8.1 with classic shell

most of the benefits of being modern, without losing control and having ads and shit

call em

Anybody got good sources on IT jobs? I need it for a college project.

Thanks.

Is this actually to edit videos (cut frames and sound next to each other etc.)?

ok figured it out
enviromental variables are really cut short when crontab is running its process
but setting $HOME works

>%lf
Holy shit, it works. Thanks user.

Thanks user. Looks like it's getting security updates through 2023, which is good enough for me.

>le seagate is bad meme

I've been using this drive since January 2014, no problems.

I can't be the only one this has happened to. I get this while trying to do a gentoo installation, every goddamn time.
I followed a youtube guide step by step, this problem occured.
I followed the handbook step by step, this problem reoccured.
If this has happened to you, how did you fix it?

What's your error?
Here's Mine:
# Pulse Audio controls
bindsym XF86AudioRaiseVolume exec --no-startup-id amixer -D pulse sset Master 5%+ #increase sound volume
bindsym XF86AudioLowerVolume exec --no-startup-id amixer -D pulse sset Master 5%- #decrease sound volume
bindsym XF86AudioMute exec --no-startup-id amixer -D pulse set Master 1+ toggle # mute sound

I don't see any errors. I'm just pasting the key binds on the config file, playing music on youtube and testing the keys. They're not working.

see yours didn't work either

open xev in a terminal and press the volume keys. They should correspond to the bindsym keys (XF86AudioMute ect). If not, change them to whatever your keys are registering as.

i don't have xev cause i'm on arch linux, but when i do "xmodmap -pke" i get

keycode 121 = XF86AudioMute NoSymbol XF86AudioMute
keycode 122 = XF86AudioLowerVolume NoSymbol XF86AudioLowerVolume
keycode 123 = XF86AudioRaiseVolume NoSymbol XF86AudioRaiseVolume

every time I restart linux mint my wallpaper resets. Any way to fix this?

Do you by any chance have your wallpaper picture on a partition that isn't automatically mounted when you startup your system? If so just copy/paste the pic home folder or somewhere on your main partition, and then set it as your wallpaper.

>the pic home folder
the pic on your home folder*

If I have a photo, how can I pull out the best colour to put it in front of?

Are these two compatible if I want to cool the VRMs?

amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B007XACV8O/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1489434143&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=vrm heatsink

newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131795

I already have the motherboard

Can I format my SSD with my OS on it? Getting a new PC and need to do a clean install of windows 10.

I just updated Nvidia drivers on my PC, and now when I open things, they don't display.
Example:
>click steam
>steam opens
>remains in task bar
>when I click again, it doesn't maximize it

that fixed it, thanks

If you format it your OS will go away

Which is what I want. But I meant how can I do that when I'm currently using my SSD? Doubt I can delete win 10 when I'm need to use it to format the SSD.