Specs is good

>Specs is good
>Open-source
>Better than hdmi and dvi

What went wrong?

Nothing? DisplayPort is actually quite popular.
It's basically a requirement if you're going to use a high-end monitor.

this, unless your talking about TV's

Monitors often stop being detected when they are turned off, which is terrible for multi monitor setups.

this fucking this.

USB 3.1 has the ability to transmit display port signal.

>What went wrong?

Nothing? Using DP right now.

Blu-Ray and content providers required encryption.

That's due to Windows' retardation.
I use DP for a monitor in GNU/Linux and it works fine.

DP also stands for double penetration
:^)

Since you can have multiple monitors coming from the same connector, that seems appropriate.

>That's due to Windows' retardation

No it isn't, it's due to manufacturer retardation. They're supposed to keep a pin as per the spec up to stop that from happening. Dell in particular don't bother, resulting in disconnection. Windows is just obeying the DisplayPort standard.

>Open-source
There's your problem.

No
Thunderbolt 3 can
But Thunderbolt is not USB

Calling it "open source" doesn't really make sense. It's not an implementation, it's a standard. There is no "source".
It's royalty free, though. Which would make it popular with manufacturers.

Wait hollup

Is this why everytime I turn off one of my dp connected dells, windows completely fucks everything up?

That was the point. They wanted to have a different standard for TVs and monitors. It really is an industry insider thing and keeping the public perception of them being different devices.

Yep. They're supposed to leave a pin up to tell the OS that the monitor is still there, but Dell don't bother and so Windows just assumes you disconnected it (which can fuck with your desktop icons and such). My U2515H does the same thing and I know that at least several other Dell monitors have the same issue. The Asus monitor that I have behaves normally.

fuck my asus mg279q always fucks my shit up. thought this was a DP issue. thanks for clearing that up.

Wtf I hate dell now

I often find myself turning one of the monitors off because many games can't handlehaving another monitor on

Nice quads

>What went wrong?
Nothing. It's incredibly popular

Display port bus chips are more expensive than HDMI chips, so a lot of cheap-ass TV manufacturers refuse to use them (and honestly there's no reason to in a TV)

that's not quite true
yes the chips are physically cheaper but licensing costs
but cost doesn't have anything to do with it's missing presence on TVs. Audio, drm and preexisting standards are what stop it. Even when we're connecting everything through type c TVs will still be using hdmi 3.0 or whatever is out then

I really hate this. I have a blu ray drive, but I cannot watch any actual blu ray movies with it

I dont have that problem using two display ports and an HDMI.

Nope, that's wrong too. USB-C can transmit the DisplayPort signal, as long as the port supports DP Alt Mode. It does not have to be Thunderbolt 3.

Unfortunately there are zero products which use the alternate video out mode of USB 3.1 gen 2 type c, only thunderbolt-based ones

>What went wrong?
On TVs? Jews, that's what went wrong.

>U2515H
It stops doing that when you disable DP 1.2 mode. It's still pretty retarded that you have to disable 1.2 tho. Maybe having it on caused issues when you daisy chain monitors.

Does U2312HM suffer from this issue?

I don't know. I only have the U2515H.

I used it for a long time against two computers. Switching inputs caused windows to detect that i disconnected the monitor and messed up background applications.

How do you go about disabling 1.2 mode, and do you lose any important functionality in doing so?

No, this is a Windows issue. I have this issue on Windows, but not on my Linux partition. I also use two Dell monitors.
Care to post more horse shit?

Matbe linux doesn't fuck up when it stops detecting a monitor

I think you only lose the daisy chain function. Should be in the main menu, under Display.