Since they no longer make WD TV and it can't play some of the new formats...

since they no longer make WD TV and it can't play some of the new formats, what is the best box out there to play local media?

In my opinion they all suck just build a htpc..

can't I'm retarded

Side load kodi on an Android box. Fire TV 4k works well but there are cheaper options.

it's building a small computer user, if you truly are that retarded, hand in your Sup Forums card and get

why do you want me to go outside? you can't even use a remote with those damn things, that sucks

Firetv with kodi or plex

still have one of those, what the fuck are you trying to play that isn't working?

ultra HD videos I take with my smartphone for one

firestick can play local media?

Did this. Sucks for W10, kodi can't into samba shares from W10.

Yes with plex or kodi

Stick is slow as balls though. Get the more expensive box, use Ethernet if you can.

Intel NUC

From USB?

Install vlc for samba

Wireless mouse and keyboard, is a thing plus with kodi you can always use a wireless xbox controller

>what is the best box out there to play local media

A TV that isn't shit. My mom's 5 year old Vizio has a USB port and plays MP4 and AVI files off a flash drive.

You could also plug a laptop into a TV with an HDMI cable and use MPC-HC to play the files.

You actually can you just buy a cheap IR receiver and a remote or a airmouse remote

Or just get a mini keyboard like a rii mini since remotes suck

I am using my htpc since 2011 and the amd e35 is still going strong eventhough it was around $150-200 with ram and case. The newest intel ones are pretty strong for their money.

If you want a shitty menu just to make everything slower just use kodi in your autostart and get a airmouse.

With the full size box sure

fire tv box can't even play MKV files

Man I had two WDTV Live SMP's and these boxes were fucking great. Played everything I had no problem. They even handled all the metadata for you regardless if it was a network share or external USB drive connected to it. UI with IR remote was slow as fuck but at least you could theme it. I kept hoping they would update the device and improve upon it with better hardware. They had a real winner here and sadly I was forced to break down and go with Roku 3's back in the day.

FireTV can't even play MKV files directly? Jesus what a piece of shit. The Roku's even with it's piss poor format support will still directplay MKV files provided it's supported.

No but I guess it can if you download VLC?

That's why I sort of ignored the FireTV. You have to sideload a ton of shit just to get some functionality or channels. That issue usually meant you had to use a mouse and keyboard of some sort. Biggest hurdle since the late nineties for me has always been to make it wife proof. I've had skin in this game for nearly twenty years now. Only android box worth using still seems to be the ShieldTV that costs a small fortune. Helps when the actual companies support their own product.