RX 480 or 1060 6GB for my HTPC?

RX 480 or 1060 6GB for my HTPC?

I believe the 1060 runs cooler?

Other urls found in this thread:

overclock.net/t/1583897/fractal-design-node-202-owners-thread)
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Go for 1060.

IGP

That's what I was thinking, in a Small form factor heat is more important than value.

people buy 200 dollar gpus for htpcs now?

It will also be my main build.

I want a PC easier to move between my desk in my bedroom and my TV in my living room for couch PC gaming.

See

Get shield TV it can stream from your PC just fine

What about latency?

Yeah, and 1060 is smaller than 480 isn't it?
My Nitro+ is quite huge compared to EVGA's 1060.

Probably there but I can't tell at all, image quality also seems fine when I stream to my TV

I have 1060 3gb

That's a plus.

I heard the 3GB is shit.

3gb has 10% of the shaders cut off and bottlenecks on memory frequently. 3gb ain't enough.

is the 1080ti better than the Titan XP or no

yes

what the fuck nvidia

is it priced for more, then?

Around the same performance; half the price.

Scam first, think second.

Do not buy this case, it looks really nice but components will be quite a bit hotter than in that Silverstone htpc case

The higher end madvr/mpv need decent gpus.

Get a nice build that you won't have to move around. Install plex to run a server on your desktop.
Watch videos on your TV using Chromecast/smartphone or your Xbox or whatever. Plex has a client for pretty much every device

I have a PS4 and Fire Stick for plex.

Sometimes I wanna play maxed out PC games on a big TV on a couch, sometimes at my desk.

RX480 8GB

It was slightly behind the 1060 6gb at launch but it now is better. Not many reviewers went back to test the cards with newer drivers so you have to trust benchmarks with RE-Live drivers ater Nov 2016.

Or just trust me, 480 is better,

Isn't it also like 10c hotter on average?

Then get a steam link. I have one for when I do party games downstairs and it works like a charm. Input lag is unnoticeable hardwired and I haven't tested wifi. Able to play any game on my PC including demanding ones at 50+fps. And I have a 780ti

3.5 is enough

1060 for htpc. 480 for a normal computer.

It depend on your cooler and drivers. There is a powersaving mode in the drivers now that reduce power consumption and the gpu runs cooler.

Temperature isn't as much of a problem as you might think.

the 3gb ang 6gb 1060 have different speed memory and core isn't clocked the same. the comparison isn't that easy.
same with 480 4 vs 8gb: memory is slower on the 4gb

Why the fuck do you need a fucking discrete GPU for a fucking HTPC?

1060 3gb and 6gb have identical clock speeds on core and memory.

1060 3gb has 128 shaders out of 1280 disabled.

thant's what I meant to post. I'm drunk, give me a break.

the powersaving feature is gonna make the card underperform. he could undervolt or something
additionally the rx 480 can give higher performance than 60fps 1080p at max settings unless its a really new title. in which case the card doesnt need to work as hard because its holding back to maintain 60fps and as a result uses less power and outputs less heat

i know youre just memeing but this heavily depends on the coolers and for the most part the temps arent gonna be a problem unless the gpus are stressed 100% while overclocked.

Madvr

pardon my ignorance, but why would you even need a 1060 for a HTPC?

Just get an APU nigger.

1050 2GB, no PCI cables and runs cool. Not so silent but ymmv

The 480 8gb is easily the better card

Running cooler doesn't even matter at this point, their power usage is very similair, and I can undervolt my RX 480 by -144mV, doesn't even draw over 100W then

Well then get 1060 because it's faster with the newest and bestest madvr NGU upscaler.

source?

See and

They aren't too different so get whatever is cheaper.

I would think the 480 or 1060 issue would be primarily over what fits best in a SFF build. I agree with you that the 480 is the best overall card bar none. It would perhaps make more sense to even look into a 470 but that all depends on what all OP can fit inside. Nvidia generally is easier to use in SFF builds though.

>same with 480 4 vs 8gb: memory is slower on the 4gb
no it's not. there's gb versions with faggot hynex chips that barely hold stock speeds
whereas samsung 4gb chips can reach 2250 long as you can keep it cool enough.

Source is Madshi himself.

It's very close to call actually.
Are you going for the smaller version of the cards or the larger ones?
Because the 4GB 480 is kinda shit and so is the 3GB 1060.
The 1060 runs about 22% cooler than the 480 and has more room for overclocking, but the 480 has more shaders and bandwidth, not by much though.
I personally would go with the 6GB 1060 if I were you.
And considering the case has a side vent, go for a direct cooler, not a blower.

Why not a steam link? they are vastly cheaper and Steam's streaming software is top notch.

>in a Small form factor heat is more important than value.
So you're getting the R9 Nano?

Both the 480 and 1060 should be capable of spinning down, or even turning their fans off while the GPU is in idle, so for most video watching workloads it should be practically silent.

Thermally both cards have been tested extensively with the Node 202 and they should both be fine, there is an extensive thread on the chassis on overclock.net (overclock.net/t/1583897/fractal-design-node-202-owners-thread) that should give you any answers you need.

Depends on your choice of case.
if you can fit normal sized GPUs, get a RX 480.
If you can only fit mITX sized cards, get a GTX 1060.

Have you considered a case with a handle? Those flat HTPC cases are not designed for portability.

Why not a 750Ti? You can pick them up dirt cheap at the moment, I have the same case.

>runs cooler
?????????

Not OP, but can you recommend some good ones? I've only found 1 decently priced one and it looks pretty autistic

LianLi Tu 100 or Tu 200.
Also seen a Raijintek Metis with a guitar case handle put on top. Pretty much the same thing as the Tu 100.

>buying AMD ever

Definitely get the 1060

Zotac 1060 Mini

it's not the first time, 780ti blew the original titan away. titan XP is at least still (mostly) on par with the 1080ti.

but yeah generally speaking titan's are a total waste of money if you're just gaymen. it's probably still better then the ti models as a workstation GPU though.

1070 mini

depends on the price

480 and 1060 6GB is about the same performance