Apple fighting right-to-repair laws

>Apple is planning to fight proposed electronics "Right to Repair" legislation being considered by the Nebraska state legislature, according to a source within the legislature who is familiar with the bill's path through the statehouse.

>Nebraska is one of eight states that are considering right to repair bills; last month, Nebraska, Minnesota, New York, Massachusetts, Kansas, and Wyoming introduced legislation. Last week, lawmakers in Illinois and Tennessee officially introduced similar bills.

>According to the source, an Apple representative, staffer, or lobbyist will testify against the bill at a hearing in Lincoln on March 9. AT&T will also argue against the bill, the source said. The source told me that at least one of the companies plans to say that consumers who repair their own phones could cause lithium batteries to catch fire.

>Manufacturers have lobbied hard against right to repair legislation in the past. Last year, a bill headed through the New York statehouse was killed in part due to lobbying from Apple and IBM, among other manufacturers.

>The bills nationwide are being pushed by Repair.org, a trade organization made up of independent repair shops who say that their companies have been harmed by an attempt by manufacturers to gain a monopoly over the repair business.

>Tractor manufacturer John Deere has also come out vehemently against right to repair legislation; a letter the company wrote opposing the Kansas right to repair bill says the company wants to prevent "unintended alterations" to the tractors it sells. The company also said that such bills should be shot down "to protect consumers' significant investment in equipment," which it says can only be retained by servicing the vehicles at authorized John Deere repair centers.

motherboard.vice.com/en_us/article/source-apple-will-fight-right-to-repair-legislation

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=bOMksnSaAJ4
youtube.com/watch?v=EqHUBYfxh4k
youtube.com/watch?v=11Wb1QCSuMg
youtube.com/watch?v=rE3j_RHkqJc
aljazeera.com/news/2017/02/brazil-state-faces-deadly-chaos-police-strike-170208195531770.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

How about they stfu and stop thinking they can buy people's freedoms? Fucking businessmen think they own the world.

Why is lobbying still legal in that fucking country? If you try that here, the relevant politician will be accused of corruption and the company will face something similar. They can still exert pressure through fancy parties and all that shit but at least it's harder and we here don't accept companies meddling with our government to the same degree muricans do.

>OY VEYYYYYYYYYY GOYYYYYYYYYYYY JUST BUY A NEW ONE!

lol get fucked, gommie!

>Tractor manufacturer John Deere has also come out vehemently against right to repair legislation; a letter the company wrote opposing the Kansas right to repair bill says the company wants to prevent "unintended alterations" to the tractors it sells.

Christ.
You'd think that heavy agricultural/industrial equipment manufacturers would stay away from such bullshit practices.

John Deere has been at the forefront of authorized service centers, they're turbocunts and will shaft you if there's any evidence of non authorized servicing

>The legislation would require Apple and other electronics manufacturers to sell repair parts to consumers and independent repair shops, and would require manufacturers to make diagnostic and service manuals available to the public.

This is what this bill is about you morons.

Its the government forcing companies to SELL certain stuff. Its completely nonsensical and the government has no right to interfere with that bullshit.

The only people who are PRO this type of shit are the autistic "repair shop lobby" (kek that this even exists) and fucking leftists shithole magazines like motherboard

Yet again they spin the story and pretend Apple and other companies want to prevent people from repairing their phones.

This is EVIDENTLY not what this is about.

If these companies dont want to sell stupid repair parts and offer manuals they don't have to. You don't have to buy from them if they don't. its your decision. The government has to stay the fuck out of this bullshit.

They literally scrap entire tractors because 100% epoxy potted magic boxes fail.

I am not making this up. I really wish I was.

>government wants to regulate something
>something which is already not regulated
>government wants to increase control
>less free by definition
>you sell your commie bullshit as businessmen buying freedoms
wtf

Thread's over, the shitposter found it.

>"less free by definition"
>government doesn't prevent manufacturers from obtaining a repair monopoly
>they become a monopoly
>now you're less free
>libertarians actually call less freedom more freedom
KYS retard

>cell phone monopoly owned by 2 companies
>"just buy from someone else!!"
>end up with barely functioning nokia phone

>>The legislation would require Apple and other electronics manufacturers to sell repair parts to consumers and independent repair shops, and would require manufacturers to make diagnostic and service manuals available to the public.

what part of it do you not understand? explain to me .. why can the government dictate what apple can sell and what it does not?! are you fucking autistic? why not nationalize the whole economy? fucking communist piece of shit

wtf I hate Apple now

>>cell phone monopoly owned by 2 companies

what the fuck? there is more competition i nthe cell phone market than ever before you fucking retard. You can buy phones that are better than $1000 from 2009 today for $100 lol.

>cell phone monopoly

Holy fucking hell

You are right and are going to make a bunch of retards exceedingly angry

Hi, big corp shill. Are they paying you per post? Is that why you've already made 4 posts ITT?

>government regulates something, artificially propping up monopolies
>how do we fix this?
>HURR WE NEED MORE GOVERNMENT
people like you are the reason I only have one choice for ISP you insufferable underage faggot

filtered

Dunno man, I'm from eastern europe, we always fixed our tractors/combine harvesters ourselves.
These things break in the field
and you have to repair them in the field.

Are "John Deere cuckstamped service centers" mobile?

that sucks

>lol dude just buy one of those chink phones! they're so cheap lol!
>who cares that you can't get 4G??
>so what if you can only get service from one tower in your city, you can play angry birds just fine!

>everytime there's monopolies there's regulation
>ergo, regulation causes monopolies
Are libertarians really THIS stupid to believe that correlation implies causation?

Newsflash: the reason they always go together is that regulations are a response to monopolies, not the opposite, you fucking moron!

MAXIMUM CRINGE

yeah i have noticed this before. Arguing economics on Sup Forums is completely pointless. Its a board full of video game playing teenagers who have no fucking clue about it and politics in general. Really frustrating.

youtube.com/watch?v=bOMksnSaAJ4

Most regulations in the last hundred years have been pushed by companies trying to become monopolies or monopolies themselves

The Nebraska one just failed as far as I'm aware.

t. Paul Krugman

youtube.com/watch?v=EqHUBYfxh4k

>Let me portray my opinion as if it were fact: The Book
Economic science disproves your delusional ideologies, kiddo.

The solution to that is not to destroy the only thing protecting us from corporations, but to separate both.

>Its a board full of video game playing teenagers who have no fucking clue about it and politics in general.
WOah, Sup Forumsedditors are getting self-aware.

Economics isnt a science. The only people who desperately want it to be a science are keynesian faggots who demand control over the economy cause they pretend they can scientifically explain human decisions - which they obviously can't.

>you can't scientifically explain human decisions
Boy, you're in for such a rude awakening...

>unironical anarchists
>in a technology board
Am I the only one who sees the cognitive disonance here?

if you could do that you'd be a trillionaire right now because you can accurately predict who is going to buy what from you ... are you?

guess not ... mmh ... really makes me think my dude.

Wonder why companies spend billions on marketing when predicting everything is sooo easy haha. Its literally risk free. There is zero risk involved in doing business. Everything is predictable now.

Thanks lefties! Why didnt i know about this.

>tech on site fag
>go to customer
>four keys were sticking so he removed and cleaned them
>didn't know how to put them back in
>had to hire a tech guy like me to pop the tiny clips (admittedly that was shitty and took time, lenovo makes laughably bad keys)

You'd think Apple would be all for this, charging customers that brick their phone because they wanted to do shit themselves.

Or did I not read into it enough and they're obligated to assist for free if the customer was a downy?

Stop living in the Third World.

the bill requires them to sell parts and manuals, instructions to repair shop fags.

Should they do it? Sure why not it would be nice.

Should the government FORCE them to sell these parts ... of course not.

>Obligated to assist for free

Nope. Just to provide schematics necessary to repair so people can repair their own shit. Right now apple makes you replace your entire phone and lose all your data if your fucking headphone jack stops working.

Why should a machine which can be repaired in an economically justifiable way be discarded?

The effort required to repair something is in such a case much smaller than that required to recycle it. The fact that companies are fighting repair is because they themselves fail to make a profit through a smaller energy expenditure, which is just laughable. A successful corporation would not need to fight bills like these, as they'd already be offering the best repair services themselves.

>Right now apple makes you replace your entire phone and lose all your data if your fucking headphone jack stops working.
Capitalists will defend this.

>vice

I'd even go so far to argue that this bill heavily favors large corporations anyway. In the long run it would favor Apple actually because it raises the entry barriers into the market by a significant amount.

How do you ever get into competition with Apple when you are also required to lay down the infrastructure needed to provide repair parts, manuals and all that shit to the "repair shop lobby" lol.

Its the same song over and over again. Lefties think they are beating the evil capitalist system and corporations but what they are actually promoting is the exact opposite which is blatant corporatism and collusion between the government and corporations.

These people have no brain at all.

>Why is lobbying still legal
Americunts made corruption legal. Thanks Americunts.

Make product
Post schematic on website
Post BOM on website
Post software on website
Done

Every backyard single-person hacker company is already doing this.

>autists not wanting the gov't to regulate a market of repair parts by forcing applel to sell said parts
>not realizing that the market is already regulated via patents and copyright
I think applel would rather be forced to sell repair parts than lose patent and copyright protection.

This is from their site. Not really trying to find the bill itself.

>Information:
>Manuals: Make publicly accessible, standardized service manuals in an electronic format.
>Schematics and circuit diagrams: Make semiconductor diagrams and data sheets publicly accessible.
>Software updates: Allow owners and independent service providers access to machine code and firmware patches and fixes.
>Licenses: Make all contracts clearly identify which elements of the machine are not included in the sale. Do not allow companies to create contract language (End User License Agreements) that add new requirements for support in the future.
>Parts + Tools: Make service parts and tools available at non-discriminatory pricing to equipment owners and third parties.
>Patents: Encourage patent licenses to produce repair parts and tools available under fair licensing terms.
>Diagnostics: Make troubleshooting and diagnostic tools, codes, and service software available.

>John Deere has been at the forefront of authorized service centers
that would actually only work on Burgerland. The rest of the world, the actual free world buys a fucking tractor, uses it and if it something happens, the actual farmer or a local mechanic fix it, sometimes in the same field it's working.

>Apple and electronic manufacturers
>Repair is bad cause battery might explode
>Battery explodes cause you liked won't sell the parts,so you gotta buy them from 3rd party chink that mighty low quality

>Ban the right to repair!!!

>everyone is already doing it

so whats the problem then? Did the government put a gun to their head and forced them to do it?

If customers demand this it will happen. Its as simple as that. If X company doesn't provide it don't buy from them and vote with your money.

Is it that hard for you to not buy Apple products? are you a literal retard? If yo uare so unhappy with Apple why are you still buying from them? What exactly is wrong with you?!

i dont have any problem with repair.orgs demands. They can demand whatever the fuck they want. They can demand that Apple buys them the moon and builds them a fucking repair shop there.

It is a problem however when they are paying politicians to make it a fucking law that favors them.

This is some commie shit. Why not have right to food, water and job as well, surely those are more important than repairing! Someone tell me why repairing is more important than food, you literally die if you have no food!

Anyway, if you want to encourage repair, do it the non retard way. Give tax breaks on repairs. that's what they do in Sweden.

>So you gotta buy them from 3rd party chink

The irony is that apple buys their shit from the same chinks. The whole battery exploding thing is just them fear mongering to convince the legislators that being able to repair your own damn phones shouldn't be done by anyone but them.

They use the first party chink,or Jap and get it assembled by 2 party chink.

youtube.com/watch?v=11Wb1QCSuMg

>If customers demand this it will happen. Its as simple as that. If X company doesn't provide it don't buy from them and vote with your money.
No thats not how it fucking works. The consumer doesn't know the transparencies of the company at hand

right to repair laws enable the consumer to go to third party repairers instead of the OEM. It enables competition in the repair industryt

Everyone isn't doing it, only some very small, usually ideologically driven enterprises are.

>If X company doesn't provide it don't buy from them and vote with your money.

This does not work in practise, and you know it. People in general are too short-sighted for that. The current system of disposable devices is not sustainable, and I do think that it's the government's place to step in to ensure a sustainable future for the human race.

i dont give a flying fuck about the repair industry lmfao. Nobody does you fucking autistic retard.

>the customer doesnt know!!

wew nice argument my dude. Did you know that companies have to provide tons of information about their products, ToS etc. Everyone knows beforehand what hes buying and if he fails to inform himself thats on him.

Doesnt mean you cry for the government club because you are afraid that the "repair industry" is losing money. Fuck off.

> People in general are too short-sighted for that.

haha everyone is so dumb! we need the government to save us!!!

> I do think that it's the government's place to step in to ensure a sustainable future for the human race.

ofc buddy! because the human race has always benefited when the government stepped in! what else? it worked wonders for us in the past it will work now and in the future haha! Hitler, Stalin, Mao, Kim Jong Un & Co are just statistical outliers and it literally is never a slippery slope and the government and politicians only care about US the people.

How much does the DNC pay you btw?

the problem is corporate entities are lobbying to pass anti-repair bills to make it illegal to repair your own phone FORCING you to go to the OEM for repairs.

This isn't commie shit you dumb faggot its ensuring the consumers rights against laws that would hurt them

This repair bill is just retarded.

Nobody is being forced to buy apple products.

>If customers demand this it will happen.
Costumers are too stupid too

Most people can't think for themselves

It's not just Apple doing it.

Yes that why Corperation should think for them! Am I right guys?

>implying they're not

This law is great for consumers and small business, aka the repair shops you're shitting on for some reason. It's ironic that the only defense from companies like Apple is "they'll do something wrong and harm themselves", while that's currently the case when people have to guess on how to fix things. The law is even fair, allowing these companies to SELL the documentation rather than providing it free of chrage.

The only way you could be against this is if you're a corporate shill for big business, aka a cuck.

>haha everyone is so dumb! we need the government to save us!!!

You have a higher opinion of the human race than I do.

>(list of communists)

youtube.com/watch?v=rE3j_RHkqJc

>Specific thing breaks on your phone
>Apple refuses to fix it, you can't pay any amount of money to get it fixed without losing everything on your phone
>HURR RIGHT TO REPAIR IS RETARDED

And this applies to more than just apple.

>i dont give a flying fuck about the repair industry lmfao. Nobody does you fucking autistic retard.
You're fucking retarded, people who work in said industry care about their jobs and their skillset. Are plumbers and electricians and other repairmen also a big "woopty do?"

>no they have to have information on this because the company provides it
No the company uses legal jargon and obfuscating language to obscure information and not provide it explicitly and practically.

Itunes EULA is 55 pages long. You really think consumers are going to sit down and read the 55 pages to know their terms and conditions? Did you even read the GNU terms of service? I really doubt you did.

This isn't the repair industry losing money, its corporate entities lobbying against your right to repair, taking it away so they can monopolize repairs on their products. this is inherently anti-competition and anti-consumer

No, an elite well educated small group of non-elected government officials

But that will never happen

Apple and other companies are trying to force you to use their repair service instead of giving you a choice

Corporate cuck detected

Force you to use their repair service that don't even repair everything.

That's a lovely retort.

I'll just be here repairing things with pirated schematics until you come up with an actual argument.

nobody is forcing anyone into OEM repairs.

If Apple sells a phone that can only be repaired by them its what they can do. Nobody forces you to buy such a phone.

I don't fucking care that people are too dumb too read. IF someone buys a box named 'Shit' with Shit in it and then complains that there is Shit in it its not my damn problem.

>great for consumers
>great for small businesses

You don't get the bigger picture here. Its a matter of principle and freedom.

I dont give a flying fuck about repair shops because its not my damn problem that they can't adapt to changing circumstances. If you build a business entirely dependent on another business don't complain that you are vulnerable yourself.

Offer something else. Do something of value. Don't force the other business to give you a benefit to stay alive because you think thats now your right. It doesn't work that way.

Why not open a store that sell shit and then demand that the government makes a law that requires people to buy shit from you? Free money. I mean you gotta pay the bills somehow right? Its basically what these repair shops are doing.

Why don't you demand that we get rid of cars because you want to open a horse cart wheel store?? What about the people who can build horse cart wheels? Shouldnt they get paid too?

>The only way you could be against this is if you're a corporate shill for big business, aka a cuck.

See this post Apple has over 100 Billion in the bank. They don't give a flying fuck and can afford this easily. It would favor them actually and make them more dominant in the market place lol. Its actually arguing AGAINST corporatism.

The idea is you shouldn't have to pirate illegally to get documents and information to repair your own devices

Massachusetts already passed right to repair laws for cars that allows consumers to work on their own cars and companies have to publish schematics to allow consumers to repair their cars with.

> one of the companies plans to say that consumers who repair their own phones could cause lithium batteries to catch fire.
Yeah because the manufacturers fucking glue them in with crazy strong adhesive that you have to slowly stretch out from underneath the battery and it breaks half the time
REEEEEEEEEEEEEE

>nobody is forcing anyone into OEM repairs.
Apple sure is when they lobby for anti-repair bills

>If Apple sells a phone that can only be repaired by them its what they can do. Nobody forces you to buy such a phone.
This is completely erroneous I should have the right to repair my devices. There are tons of examples where apple refuses to service your system and you can't pay to have their shit fixed.

The consumer (with the anti-repair bills) would be forced to pay an OEM for services or repairs they might not even want to do leaving you shit out of luck meaning you have to buy another phone leaving you dead in the water.

Thats not right and thats not fair. Give the consumers the choice, they should have the right to repair their devices.

>You don't get the bigger picture here. Its a matter of principle and freedom.

Literally nobody but corporate cucks care about these buzzwords. Should we allow people to go around murdering each other willy nilly? That's freedom, after all, right?

exploiting a monopoly/oligopoly != muh freedums

I think you're confusing me for someone else in this thread. I'm lobbying for the right to repair.

>Its a matter of principle and freedom.
You should have the freedom to choose your repairer/service not be forced to pay the OEM for repairs.

>I don't care about repairshops
you're a fucking retard, its not an argument to magically say "I don't care" and suddenly it doesn't matter

People should have the freedom to choose which repairer they want to go to. How the fuck can you talk about "freedom" but you seem to be all for limiting consumer choice and their freedom with it?

>IF someone buys a box named 'Shit' with Shit in it and then complains that there is Shit in it its not my damn problem.

Apple deceived them into buying shit tho

Ironic the corporate cuck is using "principle" and "freedom" isn't it? How about the "principle" of having ownership of and the ability to fix your own shit? Or the freedom to not be forced to choose OEM repair that may not even fix your shit for any amount of money.

>Apple sure is when they lobby for anti-repair bills

they don't. They are lobbying for freedom to run their own business the way they want to. Nothing else.

Nobody forces anyone to buy an Apple phone. How many people forced you to buy an Apple phone? Did some apple employees come into your house and put a gun to your head and forced you to buy an iPhone? What the fuck are you even saying?

>I should have the right to repair my devices

You do have a right to repair your devices when these devices can be repaired by yourself. This doesn't include devices you can't repair yourself btw. Don't buy these devices if you want to repair them yourself.

its really simple my dude.

>Should we allow people to go around murdering each other willy nilly? That's freedom, after all, right?

There are laws against this and its still happens? Do you think a law written somewhere can prevent murder? Really?

>Apple has a monopoly

I don't think you know what a monopoly is.

>Apple deceived the customers

prove it and make millions or even billions from your own lawsuit until then don't pull shit out of your ass

>I don't fucking care that people are too dumb too read.

>no guys, apple's 55 page eula to use itunes is totally a-ok you're just dumb and don't wanna read a fucking novel. Apple din du nuffin

>How the fuck can you talk about "freedom" but you seem to be all for limiting consumer choice and their freedom with it?

Because he's a corporate cuck. Literally stockholm syndrome from watching too much Fox News.

>You shouldn't be Apple to repair your car got
>You shouldn't be able to repair you house

>You shouldn't be able to repair your toilet

Yes goy,buy a new one instead or use a OEM certified. Kikster repairman,he is the only Corperation approve repair man!

Actually no, that's reducing someone's freedom. There's no magical frontier where bad things don't count as freedom.
If I pass a law saying murder is illegal, you're not less free.

>There are laws against this and its still happens? Do you think a law written somewhere can prevent murder? Really?

So we should have a law that punishes Apple for not releasing documentation on device repair. Thanks for agreeing, I guess?

>they don't.
you're fucking dumb, look at the OP's thread. They're lobbying against the right to repair bills so they can stop publishing repair documents

>they lobby for freedom
>by taking your freedom to repair your own or take your device to another serviceman

>still pretending its illegal to repair things for yourself

when will you stop twisting the story in such a deceiving way?

it would be if apple's lobbying gets the right to repair bills defeated and gets their own anti-repair bills

>Its a matter of principle and freedom.
It's a matter of sustainability. Humanity is not in a position where we can afford to be wasteful indefinitely. Local repair is extremely efficient compared to scrap-and-buy-new.

>See this post
The infrastructure required to provide schematics and parts is miniscule. Hobbyists are doing it. You don't even have to provide parts yourself, just let people buy them from your supplier.

>Do you think a law written somewhere can prevent murder?
When it's backed by people trying to enforce it

aljazeera.com/news/2017/02/brazil-state-faces-deadly-chaos-police-strike-170208195531770.html

Gas gentiles. Jews are superior.

I like how none of the corprocucks responded to this.

>companies start colluding by taking away the ability for consumers to change their own batteries, use SDcards, root their device and repair their device unless they say so
>some corporate cucks start defending these companies saying they don't have to give out repair documentation, just buy a different phone if you don't like it!
>bootlicking corporate cucks outnumber sane and reasonable people, making "vote with your dollar" fucking useless
>other phone options are..... fucking nothing
>wow why are you guys trying to make things better for consumers that aint murrica

When was Sup Forums overrun by poor neoconservative simpletons with double digit IQs?

because apparently the corporation can have the freedom to limit your freedom but if you want freedom by means of legislation thats really communism and you're anti-freedom

I can't respond to every single one of you retarded repair shop owners commies, liberals and economic illiterates one by one.

You get my point. Leave the government out of this and stop making dumb shit into law that help nobody.

I don't have any problems with the fact that you demand something from Apple but do it without crying for the governments help because that'll backfire eventually.

Why not make it a bill that repair shops have to repair phones for free? Wouldn't that even be more consumer friendly? Are you lefties anti consumer or something?

> A successful corporation would not need to fight bills like these, as they'd already be offering the best repair services themselves.

my posts adressed this issue. I said its a matter of principle and freedom. Apples already offers customer service and repairs phones in their Stores lol. The point is that the government has no right to FORCE companies to do it. They can offer this by themselves - or not. ITs up to them.

stop same fagging this whole thread. Everyone can see that you don't add a new IP in this thread. Autism lmao.

>the actual free world
this
murica should stop calling itself the land of the free. They're objectively worst off of all, in freedom and in everything else.

wrong again you corporate bootlicker

yeah thats true unfortunately but thats because lots of americans became content and see it all as given and think this is all normal and demand all this FREE stuff. Just look at this thread and all these commies.

its no wonder that sanders is so popular. People forget that they are living in the greatest nation on earth and ruin it slowly and turn it into fucking China.

i can exchange all my You's into yours with 4ChanX .. how does this prove anything? Nice try.

>you're a communist if you want the right to repair devices that belong to you because you're retarded because you can't read a 55 page eula to use itunes

>corporation should have the freedom to take away your freedom but if you want the right and freedom to repair your device means you're a communist

Also completely ignoring several posts I've made about how companies refuse to offer services for any amount of money, which leaves you fucked.