How to get rid of screen tearing on linux without the terrible latency?

how to get rid of screen tearing on linux without the terrible latency?

if windows can do this why can't linux? is it because linux is shit?

Other urls found in this thread:

wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Compton#Using_a_configuration_file)
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

use gnusplashlinux from the command line
/threads

what

Its because X is very outdated and has no frame syncing
Try Wayland or WaylandX

why is x still used then

i've been using linux for ~14 years now and had to look up what screen tearing is. never had that issue

>he doesn't know what screen tearing is

Because you haven't released your improved window system yet.

Linux is a kernel. We need more specifics. Have you tried using a compositor like compton?

I'm with this guy.

Dafuq is screen tearing?

stop using the vesa driver ? or amd cards, dunno

yes and the latency is unbearable
>these people exist on this board
i'm using intel graphics

Try adding this to /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-intel.conf(create if it doesn't exist):
Section "Device"
Identifier "Intel Graphics"
Driver "intel"
Option "AccelMethod" "SNA"
Option "DRI" "2"
Option "TearFree" "true"
EndSection

>is it because linux is shit?
bout fucking time people wake up

All jokes aside, install compton, and make it start when you log in.

should i install the intel driver update tool first?
did that, crazy high latency

Doesn't your package manager update drivers?
Why would you want to install driver update tool on Linux, when you have package manager?

All you have to do is install intel driver, and do what I've said before.

>crazy high latency
wtf do you expect on a netbook ? or do you seriously use a intel igp on anything other than a netbook ?

>crazy high latency
Integrated graphics are shit. That's probably one of the lightest compositors on the market. You need a new PC.

i don't know, why would intel release a tool on their website?
opengl vsync causes display latency, it's not a hardware issue, that's just how it is

I don't think you need update tool for drivers. Just ensure xserver-xorg-video-intel package is installed.

oh yeah i have that

i wonder what the update tool is for then

For people are Linux illiterate

You didn't even provided useful info about your hardware. If you have a real problem and you want actual help go to the /sqt/ or the /fglt/, ask politely and follow the rules, you’ll not get someone willing to help you in a meaningful way being passive-aggressive.

Example with my setup using XFCE:

Disable XFCE's desktop composition.
Install compton
Copy compton config file from here (wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Compton#Using_a_configuration_file) and change vsync = "none"; to vsync = "opengl";.
Add compton -b to xfce's startup.

Done.

well i did it and it worked but moving windows around feels choppy like it's skipping several frames

at least there's barely no latency
what's -b for?

installing spyware and trojans

>man compton

what

so that it uses the config file

kys

mine always used the config file anyway
that's nice of you

yeah then you just have to add vsync="" to the config file you used

-b is just a command where you can be sure that the config file is being used. i've had problems where compton didn't use it so i had to use -b

>-b is just a command where you can be sure that the config file is being used
Baka! It's daemonize the command.

what does vsync do?

doesn't it already use vsync?

Wow, Intel drivers are shit. RadeonSI master race.

i used to use amd on linux and it's shite

don't remember radeonsi having a tearfree

Some distros don't package the GPU microcode because of freedom reasons, and this makes everything underperform even with the right drivers. Most idiots don't know about this because they couldn't dedicate a few hours to read about the distro they're using, and they end up using workarounds (like fixing it with the compositor, like ) or mistakenly believing that that's just how stuff is meant to work. I am amazed about how many people ignore this issue (much more because it's an OOTB issue that takes 20 seconds to fix), because when I fist had it I asked in /fglt/ and /sqt/ several times daily for over a week and not a single person ever mentioned it (although a lot of idiots told me to buffer my frames with the compositor kek); then I asked at a forum where people actually know GNU/Linux and the first person who replied showed me what was going on. Since then I always read the freedom policy of my distros, and I don't come to this roleplaying shithole of ignorance for advise anymore.

Stop using MATE. Just get GNOME, KDE or unity/zorin/pantheon. Those DEs will almost certainly not have screen tearing.