Do consoles get subtle improvements over time? I'm just curious if that is something they do with consoles...

Do consoles get subtle improvements over time? I'm just curious if that is something they do with consoles, and is it something Nintendo will do with the Switch, will they fix the problems it has?

Subtle? No. Not at all. They get revisions and many other changes.

Many people are expecting an XL and a Switch TV

VOLTA SWITCH WHEN

holy shit nintendo could have just made a nintenphone with hdmi out and their own custom controllers and it would have been a fucking knockout but instead they made some shtity 3ds turbo edition with a shtity nvidia tablet

WHY.WEBP

Yes they do, not sure about newer consoles but the SNES and N64 both had different revisions that nobody at the time knew about, there was so many different PS1 revisions nobody has even cataloged them yet.

They get subtle hardware revisions sometimes, rarely major ones that aren't branded as an entirely "new" model (New 3DS, PS4 Pro, etc) and there are always minor improvements to be made on the software side, and developers gain a better grasp of the system over time, so things become more optimized (though this is less true with modern hardware).

I suppose there is the possibility of a dock upgrade featuring a more powerful GPU, though I don't know if the sole USB-C port on the console is capable of handling that?

I'm not talking about the pro or mini versions that are clearly labelled. Those are obvious. I mean the same consoles advertised as the same as the first release, but different hardware changes.

most do
suppliers for parts run out of supply, manufacturing can be done cheaper with someone else, new components that are more cost efficient could be found

i'd expect the screen scratching issue to silently go away before too long, they changed the hinge on the 3ds when its asymmetrical screen size design was causing scratches on the top screen

good luck figuring out how to buy a new fixed unit instead of old stock though

None of those significantly enhanced the systems. In fact the later PS1s made the system worse by removing the serial port in the back. Once a console roles out its basically locked specs wise and the only thing that can change is replacing parts that functionally work the same but are better (the laser in early PS1s all die) and/or cheaper to bring cost down

in the past but not anymore. gone are they days of a billion ps1s, here are the days of planned obsolescence (ps4, ps4 slim, ps4 pro).

why does the ps1 have so many fucking versions? what snes revision was there? i remember that horrible nes though... n64 too?

i got a 3ds on day one of release, never got a scratch. tell me more

The PS3 got a die shrink.

snes has an extremely well known revision with one version having heavy yellowing of the plastic

Well, x360 got the HDMI port, and different motherboards.

Gamecube lost a video port.

I'd kill for a dock upgrade that allowed games to run smoothly at 1080P. Though I imagine it's much harder than it sounds.

it may have been the 3dsxl instead of the 3ds, but i believe it was the original 3ds

the issue was something about the clamshell closing too far, and there being a lot of "play" in how far the hinge was able to allow the screen to travel horizontally
the combination of the two things made the protruding lower housing of the small screen able to scrape the larger screen
it was advised to put a piece of microfiber cloth or tissue in the unit when closing it to help prevent the scratching

it wasn't an inevitable thing to happen to every unit, you needed something to actually cause the wobble on the hinge like carrying it around in a pocket or backpack a lot, but it happened to enough people where they made the clamshell close less completely with revisions

was able to find a photo through google image search
looks like it was the original 3ds with the issue

Consoles are toy's not technology

oh the snes jr, yeah i considered that different console.

quite amazing that it got a die shrink but system functionality was removed firat and foremost. ps3 was kind of bullshit. but it only has like 14 models i think. and those are subdivided into 3 so its not that bad

ah, i wonder if its from slapping it shut? i always treat my stuff with too much respect.

I have the same 3DS. No scratches since the several years I've had it. But I bought mine pretty late, could be a new model?

Go back to bed, grandpa.

GBA SP got a backlit screen, improving on older models' frontlit screen.

That was pretty obvious design change. They might as well be two different consoles.

Nvm, I thought you meant GBA and GBA SP.

Oh, I see it. It was kinda hard to see, but it's there.

Because they couldn't make their usual kike margin on a phone. They'd rather crank out another piece of shit console that looks expensive to most but is actually made cheaply ala the Wii.

oh.. :(

When you make as much money as Nintendo do does it shouldn't be.

if when you closed your 3ds, you just set it nicely on a table or something, you'll probably never encounter the issue
the issue specifically came from the two surfaces rubbing against each other, such as when carried closed in a tight pocket

yes, minor hardware revisions aren't anything rare though it's usually to fix an issue if it exists or due to supply chain, rarely because one part works better than another.

That being said OS adjustments can help breath more life into systems. 360 and 3ds had some of the more noticeable ones in recent years performance wise

>29 replies
>no yet
Sup Forums is dead

I'll just wait for the inevitable SwitchHD 1920 x 1200 with fixes for all the janky little shits.

We're not talking videogames. Stop trying to ruin Sup Forums with your nonsense.

>switch tv
how will they play the new layton and other touch required games then?

>1920 x 1200
Why would they change the aspect ratio to 16:10?

Yes, they are called Revisions. PS3 had them, PS4 did ,Xbox 360 did, Xbone did, Wii did, Wii U did, and so will the Switch. No these are not full-blown upgrades, like PS3 fat to PS3 slim. For example, PS3 slim got minor changes, like to improve cooling and whatnot.

Console revisions are normal. Higher clocks, die shrinks, newer components, less features, new design and/or smaller, etc.

You should have seen some of the first PS3 models. 80gb PS3, HP dv9000, not too different, both are the fucking devil and should be never used.

The Switch already is HD resolution, why would they call one with a different res HD?

I'll take an original 80GB PS3 over my Super Slim any day.

>The Switch already is HD resolution, why would they call one with a different res HD?
toppest kek

Yes
Xbox 360 consoles saw 3 iterations of the same console, the only hardware change being the DVD reader speed

What's so funny?

and the heatpipe change

1280x720 is literally the definition of HD you retard

they couldn't continue the launch xbox 360 with it's amazing failure rate
most consoles get revisions unless they completely flop not including the gamecube or wii u

Any chance that they release a version that has like a 5 hour battery life instead of 2.5?

Seriously- 2.5 hours is way too fucking short. I cant buy the switch knowing that it will only last for 2.5 hours playing Zelda or (hopefully) monster hunter.

>I'll take an original 80GB PS3 over my Super Slim any day.

So what you're telling me is, you'd rather get a console that can get over 100C unless it sounds like a literal Kamov Ka-60?

perhaps you should seek employment instead of spending longer than 2.5 hours per sitting playing video games designed for children

Indeed. Ever since I haven't touched my thinkpad much. No chance of playing with it anymore, but I don't have to worry that much about the battery either!

Consoles absolutely do get model revisions without a new launch, definitely.

The 360 saw several model revisions involving those bastard x-clamps, even consoles like the NES and Mega Drive had model revisions.

Usually it's only to fix design flaws or even remove features.

Just buy a fuckhuge battery pack

this happens but it was a much more common thing back then

the PS1 had a fucking mess of changes between it's different models. one for example fixed a problem with choppy FMVs.

as developers get more familiar with the hardware and software of these machines their releases do improve. although hardware wise they stay the same until some rebranded model comes out to compensate for their lack of features the competition has.

(stupid kinect and ps motion faggotry nobody used after they realized wii was raking in mad dough)

ps4 got cooler and more quiet after a while, even before the slim (which is even more power efficient).

Yeah, quite often. The PS4 got a very quiet upgrade to the disk drive a few months after launch.

They won't make a version with a bigger battery because it's already pretty heavy as it is. The SoC is still at 20nm, so maybe they'll die shrink it down the line to make it more power efficient, but that's probably years off if at all.

I have one of the 2.XX(i think, running Rebug atm) phat ps3's and it still runs great and the noise isn't really that terrible. Kinda wish i had the earlier ps2 compatible model to be able to play ps2 discs, but that's life.

I'd give you my Super Slim right now if you had an 80GB model to trade.

The Switch would probably get a die shrink, larger battery, and maybe a glass screen.