Best Text Editor?

Discuss your favorite full-featured and customizable text editor. I'm talking editors like pic related.

Which is the best? Why?

>inb4 notepad++
>inb4 VIM, Emacs, nano, etc

I like vim etc. as much as the next guy, but this thread is not for discussion of terminal based editors.

Other urls found in this thread:

wikileaks.org/ciav7p1/cms/page_9535650.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Clearly op is a faggot.

I've been using Atom for about six months.

Happy enough with it until something better comes along.

atom is too fuckin slow,
sublime text is superb (speed, features, crossplattform),
visual studio code is pretty good although a battery hog and slow startup because meme.js

emacs
Sorry, I'm not into nu-male Electron applications or proprietary nagware.

is this a disguised cia thank you thread?

I use emacs with evil mode, thinking of going pure. How's your pinky?

notepad++, sorry

I really wanted to like atom but I came back to sublime after a few months

Vim.

Go fuck yourself if you disagree.

gvim

>until something better comes along
It's called VSCode. Same meme but better.

My fingers are weird. My thumb will go under my palm to grab Ctrl like it's some sort of muscle memory or something. Pinkies are fine too. Carpal tunnel has not occured in either of my hands.

Life is nice.

>a text editor offers nice aesthetics and package support

>"heh, fucking nu-male text editor"

Honestly, KYS. Nobody except you thinks that way. Go ahead, use a less flexible application because it makes you feel better about your virginity. I used vim for the longest time and love it, but I found I was able to work faster and enjoyed everything newer editors had to offer, and I still get my VIM commands at the end of the day.

Why on earth would you ever give up evil mode? The UI is the only good thing that vim ever produced and you want to get rid of it? Whyyyy.

VSC and notepad++

>use a less flexible application because it makes you feel better about your virginity
You do realize you're talking about emacs, right?

>less flexible application
>unaware of Emacs package manager
>used vim because he was too stupid to set up emacs, and then complained that emacs wasn't good enough.

This bait is poor. Try again.

Vim still.

>blatantly trying to start an editor war

It worked, didn't it?

I use Atom with vim bindings. I'm pretty happy with it, except that it's slow as fuck with large files.

>too stupid to set up emacs

lol k

Or maybe I got used to vim because it was the default text editor on my uni's servers that I always ssh'd into to work.

The day sublime goes free software is the day every other text editor dies imo

Atom is slow but the plugins are nice. If I need to quickly edit files though, I still use vim cause startup times.

The only good things about vim is its user interface and the fact that it is already installed. Emacs can steal vims user interface with evil mode and you can edit files on any remote machine with tramp mode. You have no excuse to have not at least tried it.

Free text editors until the end of time!

Seriously though, sublime will never be FOSS.

Sublime, activate it with the CIA key from Wikileaks

"I use ‘vi’ variants"....There’s no wrong answer as to which editor to use, unless that answer is ‘emacs’.

WordStar

sublime

pros : its the best and fastest gui text editor, not written in meme languages like html/css/js

cons : le proprietary (literally kys you jobless shits if thats a problem for you for a fucking text editor)

nano

just use Vim like a normal person you literal manchild

Shit I forgot about this
Thanks CIA

>Needing a seperate program for package management
>Compiling seperate binaries for simple things like code completion
>Not realisng the only good thing to ever come of vi is the user interface

Just install emacs with evil mode. I swear elisp won't kill you.

Actually purchase Sublime v2 back in the day, but v3 has been in beta for ages and I won't fork out for something that seems semi-abandoned / whim-driven updates --- that's the prerogative of foss, after all.

Now vscode otoh I'm *really* getting into. Been a VS fan for a decade+ back in the day, maintaining that their IDE was the only great thing to come out of Redmond but a *fantastically* great thing at that. First-in-class. And when I looked into vscode lately, pleasantly surprised that this entire spirit was carried over very well to the intrinsically messy JS universe. Unlike Atom, these guys are serious about a robust extensibility architecture and squeezing raw performance out of a JS app. It's certainly totally *possible* to write high-performance JS (or TS in their case), it just requires much patience, strict rules and refraining from just dumping any random 3rd-party modules from npm or github in one's code-base unscrutinized --- as most other JS codebases are wont to.

So after years in Sublime, VSCode is my shiny new toy now.

I've tried many, but sublime is the one I consistently like.

Thanks CIA

I like atom :^P

gvim, nigger.

Okay Gvim then

>Best Text Editor
>atom and subshit
Vim masterrace reporting in
Stay pleb fgt

-Sublime Text feedback
Where did you learn about our software?
a) Google
b) Suggested by a friend
c) Email
d) CIA niggers

>not for discussion about terminal based editors
well, then it's safe to talk about emacs.

sublime text because it's not running inside google fucking chrome..

why do people even use atom? I don't get it. sublime has more features & addons and better in every way imaginable.

gedit. It is a simple no nonsense editor. I don't need all the functions of Emac or VIM.

>shitty js "meme editor" running on top of chrome
>c++ 420 blazeit fast text editor

I wonder.
I wonder how retarded you are to even need to compare the two.

>Open source
>Proprietary
Yeah, really. How can you compare these?

So I've been using vim for the past 5 years. I have a 500 line vimrc. I know my way around vim.

However, I'm not a purist and I'm mostly a C# game developer; I don't have much of a workflow with the terminal (although I do use it for a lot of things). Lately I've been realizing that I'm missing out on some really powerful features by IDEs like Visual Studio and now Rider. Both have vim emulators. Has anyone tried them that can recommend one over the other? Basically there's ideavim, viemu, and vsvim

I also tried out Visual Studio Code. It's a really nice editor and I like it. The vim plugin is coming along nicely, however, I'm trying out Rider and I must say that Resharper is ridiculously good. If VSCode were supported by resharper, I would probably have just stayed there.

Either way, all jetbrains products look fucking amazing. Also want to give CLion a try.

>he uses a web browser as a text editor

wtf senpai

>sublime will never be FOSS
It's made by a single person and not a company, r-right?

There's a pretty good chance that it will. Even if it's 20 years after it stops being relevant

VSCode because best extension manager and integrated terminal.

my colleague loves VS with a bit of vim sprinkled over it. I can't tell you much more since he isn't the one to bother with details about his editors and I use emacs

Gedit

Emacs and Spacemacs both have pretty decent support for C#. I would love to know which vim emulation plugin he's using. In all honesty, I think I'm going to stick with Rider, because I'm seriously impressed with their products, but obviously I'm willing to reconsider if VS and it's vim emuators somehow blow Rider out of the water.

The one that CIA uses, with the license that they payed for
wikileaks.org/ciav7p1/cms/page_9535650.html

i'm doing some web stuff today so i'm using Brackets
tomorrow i'll be using FrameMaker all day
no regrets
pic unrelated

>a text editor offers nice aesthetics
Why the fuck would the aesthetics of a text editor matter? You're editing text.

>fastest gui text editor
Open a gigabyte sized text file. It's slow as hell.

inb4 "lel why would I ever have huge text files"

If I want a gui I use notepad++

If I'm a linux machine I prefer to use him even if I have a gui option.

Scite

vim*

I use it for class a lot when I have ssh in. It's also useful that it's preinstalled on every linux machine sooo.

Well vi is normally installed, vim sometimes not.
Once you get the basic key binds down it's just nice.

I like visual studio code... it's like a slightly better version of atom

I'd say sublime text.

People are forking sublime text in Golang. It's called limetext. You should contribute to it if you have time otherwise it'll stay dead.

Limetext is compatible with sublime text's plugin system.

Sublime Text would be better if it had a built in package manager instead of having to install Package Control.

I prefer Atom over Sublime and VSCode.

Still the fastest gui text editor.

Wing IDE

Obviously atom.

VSCode is actually pretty good.

biggest file i opened was few hundreds mb, .sql file and sublime worked like charm

atom get shitty when i open folder with lots of folders, some of my projects can have +1k files inside folder, atom cant handle that.

That is because it is based off of electron like atom

Atom is great if you're a webdev.

Sublime is shitty closed source nonsense that gets updated every other year. Use Visual Studio Code.

>VSCode

holy shit, that's awesome!

>full-featured, customizable text editor
>vim doesn't count