Why are residents of some countries (America) tied down to 1 ISP in some areas?

Why are residents of some countries (America) tied down to 1 ISP in some areas?

Because of our glorious free market.

depends on the area in america but generally apartment complex owners make deals with cable companies to only allow their service in their buildings
I know that one of the larger isp companies in atlanta is trying to block google from being able to lay lines by bribing local legislators

Because lax business laws = monopoly.

Even here in the city there are only 3 choices... and all of them are horrible.

Because some of them are remote areas where the money to lay down new wiring is too costly for new ISPs

Welcome to the free market, user :^)

Is a market really free if no one can compete?

Monopolies enforced by the government through malicious regulation imposed by corrupt government officials.

Because the idiots in local governments grant EXCLUSIVE rights to run cable lines to a single ISP in order to get more money.

The Federal Government doesn't control this.

In most cases, if another company (with the same technology) want to compete and put in their own lines, they couldn't based on these contracts.

No, it's not.

Why not have LLU, like the UK has?

Most ISPs use BT Openreach infrastructure, but they can actually beat BT on price while still making profit.

Ironic shitposting, my friend.

Also true. Unfortunately this also happens in perfectly fine suburbs by companies like Comcast. City councilors are just that fucking greedy for contracts.

>having a system that makes sense
>in america

The UK is like 1/50th the size of the USA, the cost of getting even one ISP to build infrastructure for the entire country would be insane not to mention fighting with local governments

because americans love to getting chucked

>CEOS would have to sacrifice their bonuses to provide meaningful infrastructure

oh no please think of the corporations.

Because your itty bitty European "country" is probably smaller than Florida. If all of America's wealth was concentrated how Europe's is, we would have solar road memes.

our internet is still fucking garbage and Openreach are still monopolizing pieces of shit with very little incentive to improve our infrastructure.

t. britanon paying £35 a month for 36 down / 1 up

the best part is that they are fully capable of upgrading the networks but don't because of m-muh costs

>City councilors are just that fucking greedy for contracts.
Local politicians are the real-life equivalent of forum moderators and wikipedia admins - two-bit control freaks that want to run their own little pointless fiefdom.

I live in the sticks and can choose from 3 WISP's, plus cell providers and the 2 big satellite internet providers. Nobody has only a single option for ISP's in America.

Move to Underriver in Kent.

1gbps master race.

>wireless
enjoy your 20GB/month data cap
>satellite
enjoy your 2000ms latency

and how much are you paying? also are you on a new build property? 1gbps must mean u have fibre to socket right?

still options, child.

Five horrible options is better than having one horrible option how?

The whole point of wanting multiple options is to get an option that isn't horrible.

>76 quid to get 1gbps
would literally be better moving to estonia or w/e and getting the same internet for a tenth of the price.

>wireless internet
>an option
Maybe for grandma's emails, not for anything serious even for normies with there xbox and Netflix subscription

The same reason there is no cure for cancer.

I'm pretty serious (Unix/network lackey) and my WISP does just fine. No caps and an initial 10mib/sec burst for the initial netflix stream.

Not everyone is a manchild.

>moving when EU citizens rights are off the cards for brexit negotiations.

Good luck moving there in 2 years.

>TEN MEGABITS
I get 4 times that on a basic package. all the time.

saying it would be better, i'm not planning to move.
my internet is ok i guess, i just really wish i didnt have the same upload speed i had when i was using adsl.

I pay 19.99 a month with one month free since I pay by the year.

But please impress me with your high bitrate anime collection.

How far away is the exchange and your cabinet?

exchange is a mile away, cabinet is right next to my house.

my isp is one of those city owned utility companies. my cable/power/water/sewer/internet is all through a single provider (the city) and as such I get a single bill every month instead of a bunch. I got 10mb down/1mb up and I'm happy with it. Could go higher but really there's no point. Only me and my girlfriend so yeah. Now the cable bill is a bit much , bunch of extra gotchas, like "re transmission fee" and other b.s. Sat cable would be cheaper but there's a catch = bad weather, shitty/no tv.

>Because the idiots in local governments grant EXCLUSIVE rights to run cable lines to a single ISP in order to get more money.
wtf are you talking about mate ?
is that why the federal government/state government stepped in a few times and but a stop to smaller municipalities building their own networks ?

>Why are residents of some countries (America) tied down to 1 ISP in some areas?
The real reason this exists is because all the large ISPs have agreed to stay in their own turfs.
Everyone has a nice slice of the pie with no competition so why rock the boat ?

>Because lax business laws = monopoly.

>problem literally created by government
>blame lack of government

holy fuck